Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #17701
Kodos
Resident Alien

I dunno. Roseanne makes a breathtakingly racist comment about someone, and Jon then refers to the subject of the tweet as piece of shit and implies that he'd have to look her up to see if the tweet was unwarranted or not. That seems punishment worthy to me.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #17702
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Of all the think Jon has said over the years, this gets him banned?

TBH I've with you here.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #17703
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"Jon has said so much worse than implying that a racist attack against someone may have been warranted" is a terrible argument against his suspension.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #17704
molson
General Manager

I hope the 8 active posters on this board feel safer without JIMGA around. Is that what the goal is here? Or is the that he'll come back in a while and not say anything controversial any more?

Last edited by molson : 05-30-2018 at 12:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #17705
Kodos
Resident Alien

There's long been a segment of the board that likes to cry about moderation decisions. I think they do a fine job. I certainly wouldn't want the job.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #17706
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I hope the 8 active posters on this board feel safer without JIMGA around. Is that what the goal is here? Or is the that he'll come back in a while and not say anything controversial any more?

I think the goal is to say that a post claiming an African-American may have deserved a racist comment is not acceptable on FOFC. And that seems like a common sense goal to me, whether the board has 8, 80, or 800 active posters.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #17707
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I think the goal is to say that a post claiming an African-American may have deserved a racist comment is not acceptable on FOFC. And that seems like a common sense goal to me, whether the board has 8, 80, or 800 active posters.

I guess. I just don't know who we're trying to protect at this point. We all know JIMGA's views. I've never thought of anyone's posts here as somehow being endorsed by FOFC or anyone else just by their mere presence here. But I know that's not been a popular opinion here, I'm just the one of the last standing who still has it. I'd just prefer more content, even wacky content, and for bans to be a last resort for personal attacks against other posters and threats.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #17708
digamma
Torchbearer

It's not about protecting anyone. It's about trying to be a decent board that doesn't have Pepe the Frog memes or devolve into other dog whistle posts. We give a lot of leeway to most posters, but this doesn't seem like a hard one to me. I'll gladly take any heat or complaints here.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #17709
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think he said

1) Insults are okay
2) He is not okay with racism

I infer that he doesn't think this specific "insult" was that bad

Therefore

1) He doesn't think the insult rises to the level of racism?

You may be right, but I find it hard to believe that someone is that disconnected that they don't see racism in comparing a black woman to an ape. Not to be all keyboard warrior guy, but if someone said that about my wife in my presence they would be asked to pick a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
A weird take when someone makes a joke than an African-American woman descends (partially) from apes.

Right, I don't know how you classify it as anything but racist if you don't live in a bubble.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #17710
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
You may be right, but I find it hard to believe that someone is that disconnected that they don't see racism in comparing a black woman to an ape. Not to be all keyboard warrior guy, but if someone said that about my wife in my presence they would be asked to pick a hand.

Right, I don't know how you classify it as anything but racist if you don't live in a bubble.

I guess I will raise my hand as a bubble liver...

Before I make my point I will fully and readily admit that Ive heard ignorant racist remarks referring to black people as monkeys. I'm not suggesting that isnt a thing, I am questioning if it has to be a racist comment.

Two counter points.
1) One of my best friends since childhood. He is known as Monk and has been for 35 years. Monk is short for Monkey was shortened sometime in high school. Its a nickname that started in the 1st grade when watching a nature video about monkeys and someone said "That monkey looks like Bobby in the face." hahaha kids laughed. He became Monkey Bob. then Monkey. Now Monk. He's white.

2) John Elway looks like a horse in the face. Is that racist? No his face is shaped like a damn long headed horse.

Again, Im not defending Roseanne. I find her mere existence an annoyance.

I guess I am defending Jon a bit here because is it not possible to say that someone looks like an animal (in this case an ape) without intending a racist context? And hell, Jon didnt even say the subject in question looked like a monkey, he said he'd have to look her up to see if it was a fair criticism. His comment that she was a POS was obviously (at least to me) more about his well known political stance than her race.

To take that comment and ban possibly the last dissenting viewpoint on most discussions around here just seems....odd.

Frankly we are all here reaching middle age or past at this point. The fact that we need to have our sensitive sensibilities protected by putting people in timeout just seems odd to me. But then again I work in construction where getting called derogatory names is a daily sign of endearment, maybe I've just developed thicker skin about such stuff...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #17711
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I will raise my hand as a bubble liver...

Before I make my point I will fully and readily admit that Ive heard ignorant racist remarks referring to black people as monkeys. I'm not suggesting that isnt a thing, I am questioning if it has to be a racist comment.

Two counter points.
1) One of my best friends since childhood. He is known as Monk and has been for 35 years. Monk is short for Monkey was shortened sometime in high school. Its a nickname that started in the 1st grade when watching a nature video about monkeys and someone said "That monkey looks like Bobby in the face." hahaha kids laughed. He became Monkey Bob. then Monkey. Now Monk. He's white.

2) John Elway looks like a horse in the face. Is that racist? No his face is shaped like a damn long headed horse.

I guess I am defending Jon a bit here because is it not possible to say that someone looks like an animal (in this case an ape) without intending a racist context? And hell, Jon didnt even say the subject in question looked like a monkey, he said he'd have to look her up to see if it was a fair criticism. His comment that she was a POS was obviously (at least to me) more about his well known political stance than her race.

To take that comment and ban possibly the last dissenting viewpoint on most discussions around here just seems....odd.

Frankly we are all here reaching middle age or past at this point. The fact that we need to have our sensitive sensibilities protected by putting people in timeout just seems odd to me. But then again I work in construction where getting called derogatory names is a daily sign of endearment, maybe I've just developed thicker skin about such stuff...

I think it needs to be weighed against the context of how it has been used historically. There is no race that has as many derogatory names that reference appearance or skin color as blacks, and it really isn't close that I am aware of.

It is true that people call their kids little monkeys, and others like Elway are called names based on their appearance. But these are all directed at an individuals appearance as an insult. Monkey/Ape has been used as a general term of disparagement towards a race going back 200 years, so there is a big difference and are not different than Spook, Spearchucker or any of the other plethora or words used in a derogatory expression against people of color. So yeah, there is a big difference between the word being categorized as a general insult vs. a racial insult in this case.

I really can't tell my black wife as a white man that she shouldn't get offended by a POC being called in Ape when the word has an indisputable history as being used as a derogatory racial term. Whether Rosanne meant it that way or not is really not relevant when you look at it from that perspective, and it is also no excuse to act like you don't know. Hell, I grew up in Utah too, just like her and knew that by the time I hit my teens.

If she had called her a whale or a mutt we are talking about just a rude insult, which yeah, people need to have a bit thicker skin about. Then you just check it up to her being a crude bitch and move on and she still has a show. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #17712
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dola - I didn't find Jon's post worthy of a ban either FWIW. Tiptoeing the line perhaps, but he didn't cross it and by his standards that was actually pretty tame, so you could make a case for not banning him for that comment just based on that.

And a Football coaches office is a lot like a construction site too, LOL. So yeah, my skin is a bit thicker as well, but I couldn't have my lady being called an Ape.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-30-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #17713
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:

I think she is offensive in nature. So much it wouldn't surprise me if she said that about a white woman.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #17714
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Two new families moved into our immediate vicinity late last fall, both with young kids, so we've gotten to know them both fairly well. One of the couples is Mormon--not just "we-go-to-the-temple-every-now-and-then" Mormon but "we-grew-up-in-NC-but-both-went-to-BYU-just-like-our-parents did" Mormon. We had the new families over for dinner a few months ago, and the Mormon couple wouldn't drink alcohol or soft drinks. They're REALLY MORMON, in other words.

So they're leaving for vacation today (guessing that they're "can't miss a single Sunday" types,) and they've asked my oldest daughter (age 9) to take care of their dog while they're gone, with of course some supervision from my wife and I. The dog's name is "Bo."

Yesterday evening my daughter and I went over there to get the caretaking instructions, with a follow-up email to come to my wife and me. With the information in the first paragraph as a backdrop, imagine our reaction when sweet Mormon girl's email's subject line was....

..."Bo Job"

We haven't stopped giggling.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-04-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #17715
Kodos
Resident Alien

I kept waiting to see how that was going to tie into the Roseanne/JiMG discussion.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #17716
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I kept waiting to see how that was going to tie into the Roseanne/JiMG discussion.
Heh. Hadn't seen all of that. Looks like than I have time to read until maybe later today. Just checked and it was a short suspension, ending in a couple of hours. *shurg*
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #17717
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I wasn't intending for this to tie into that discussion, but I do have a random thought along racial lines (hopefully funny) - I just found out one of my cousins married and is having a kid with an honorary member of the Reggie Cleveland All-Stars - a white dude named Willie Jenkins.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #17718
Ksyrup

Smile Direct seems to be taking a gigantic leap of faith that Draymond Green's popularity outweighs his notoriety, or that his notoriety is nonetheless good for business. Kinda like Zippah using the Jerky Boys dude to yell at everyone to sell snoring devices.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #17719
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ben's kid already being 9 is like crazy to think about.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #17720
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Debbie Reynolds 'willed herself' to die one day after Carrie Fisher's death, Todd Fisher says | Fox News

I know this is a terrible thought, but after hearing about the above story, Padme's death in Revenge of the Sith doesn't seem as nonsensical.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #17721
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kate Spade was married to David Spade's brother?
Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #17722
Ksyrup

Not that fashion or handbags was ever within my sphere of knowledge to begin with, but I swear I had never heard the name Kate Spade before today.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #17723
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Not that fashion or handbags was ever within my sphere of knowledge to begin with, but I swear I had never heard the name Kate Spade before today.

I'm sure it surprises no one I knew who she was when I saw the headline.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #17724
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

RIP. Sounds as if family tried hard.

Sister: Kate Spade had mental illness years before suicide | The Kansas City Star
Quote:
Spade's apparent suicide on Tuesday, at age 55 inside the bedroom of her New York Park Avenue apartment "was not unexpected by me," Reta Saffo, Spade's older sister by two years, told The Star by email from her house in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Family members struggled mightily to help Spade but to little avail, she said. "Sometimes you simply cannot SAVE people from themselves!" she wrote. Spade seemed concerned how hospitalization might harm the image of the "happy-go-lucky" Kate Spade brand, she said.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #17725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spade seemed concerned how hospitalization might harm the image of the "happy-go-lucky" Kate Spade brand, she said.

That's not an unreasonable consideration though. That was literally the first analyst topic I heard when the news broke today. Granted, that was on one of the financial news networks, but still. (So far the news has dropped the value of Tapestry - formerly Coach - that owns the brand by 1%)

I'm not saying that should have been the deciding factor when she chose a course, but is isn't an unrealistic consideration either.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #17726
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's not an unreasonable consideration though. That was literally the first analyst topic I heard when the news broke today. Granted, that was on one of the financial news networks, but still. (So far the news has dropped the value of Tapestry - formerly Coach - that owns the brand by 1%)

I'm not saying that should have been the deciding factor when she chose a course, but is isn't an unrealistic consideration either.

I don't think the public or her fans would hold it against her. Or better yet, just publicly announce that you have to step away (temporarily) for personal reasons.

I know there is more and that depression, addiction etc. (?) can overtake a person's life but when you are a really wealthy person, have all the resources in the world, and still not able to get help, something is not right.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #17727
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I don't think the public or her fans would hold it against her. Or better yet, just publicly announce that you have to step away (temporarily) for personal reasons.

I know there is more and that depression, addiction etc. (?) can overtake a person's life but when you are a really wealthy person, have all the resources in the world, and still not able to get help, something is not right.

With a 'Happy go lucky" brand position, it would have been a huge risk. It's a product that exists largely to serve the shallow & the vapid, image literally IS almost everything. The brand revenue was already down - prior to today's news - close to nine percent for Q1 alone. I'd imagine that the owners will now have to phase out the brand over the next few years making for an over $1B (with a b) bad investment.

Oh, and let's not confuse "not able to get" with "chose not to get", that's not accurate.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #17728
Izulde
Head Coach

I actually legitimately like a lot of Kate Spade's designs, which I don't say about too many celebrity designers.

But yes, knowledge of her being hospitalized for mental illness would have tanked the brand, even though she was no longer an active part of it long before Coach's $1b acquisition - fashion, despite efforts in recent years to address issues in the industry, is still brutally harsh and unforgiving, with anything less than the appearance of perfection damning.

And it's "chose not to get". She had the resources, she had the support network - she decided not to. "Not able to get help" is the hundreds of thousands of lower income people who can't afford to pay the premium to cut through the long lines of an overburdened mental health system (the waitlist is literally months or even years in some areas).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #17729
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Today is the 74th anniversary of D-Day
Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #17730
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You're not the only one. I was saying all day yesterday "who is this?" Then, today, I flipped on my TV and it happened to be on one of the late morning shows on NBC and they were doing some kind of extensive look back at Spade. For coverage of someone I had never even heard of to last on majpr media for more than the 24 hour cycle feels bizarre to me.

I decided it must be like for a woman who has no interest in sports but is inundated with such and such sports celebrity has passed away, and all the men in her life are affected or at least knowledgeable about it and the celebrity, but she has no idea who he was or why he was important.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-06-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #17731
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You're not the only one. I was saying all day yesterday "who is this?" Then, today, I flipped on my TV and it happened to be on one of the late morning shows on NBC and they were doing some kind of extensive look back at Spade. For coverage of someone I had never even heard of to last on majpr media for more than the 24 hour cycle feels bizarre to me.

I decided it must be like for a woman who has no interest in sports but is inundated with such and such sports celebrity has passed away, and all the men in her life are affected or at least knowledgeable about it and the celebrity, but she has no idea who he was or why he was important.

While I did know who Kate Spade is, I think part of it is also the manner of her death as well (though you are right about different spheres of interest when you talk about sports deaths). I remember there was a lot more ink over Junior Seau's death due to the manner of how he died.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #17732
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
For coverage of someone I had never even heard of to last on majpr media for more than the 24 hour cycle feels bizarre to me.

If you've never been in a relationship with a handbag addict, I can sort understand that.

As an aside though, I'll ask out of curiosity: do you know who Jimmy Choo is? (or really I guess, why I'd ask that as part of to this topic)

edit to add: For the range of emotions that with this story though, my grown-ass wife (who is closer to 60 than I'm supposed to mention) has been moved to the point of tears by this Kate Spade stuff. In her words "my God, she always seemed so ... happy. If she can't make it then ... " {shrug} I guess, I cried when Ronnie James Dio died how much can I really say?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-06-2018 at 05:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #17733
molson
General Manager

Quote:
If you've never been in a relationship with a handbag addict, I can sort understand that.

As an aside though, I'll ask out of curiosity: do you know who Jimmy Choo is? (or really I guess, why I'd ask that as part of to this topic)

edit to add: For the range of emotions that with this story though, my grown-ass wife (who is closer to 60 than I'm supposed to mention) has been moved to the point of tears by this Kate Spade stuff. In her words "my God, she always seemed so ... happy. If she can't make it then ... " {shrug} I guess, I cried when Ronnie James Dio died how much can I really say?

Haha, my girlfriend was pretty much the same, and I hadn't heard of Kate Spade before that. She wasn't quite to tears, but when friends heard the news, they immediately though of my girlfriend and sent her condolences.

They're nice bags. And they go on sale a lot, so I guess they're not stupid expensive (as far as handbags go). But now they probably can't have a big sale for a while, would seem kind of exploitative.

Last edited by molson : 06-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #17734
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
They're nice bags. And they go on sale a lot, so I guess they're not stupid expensive (as far as handbags go). But now they probably can't have a big sale for a while, would seem kind of exploitative.

One of the reasons my wife tells me that sales have been down (noticeably) this year is that, since the acquisition by Tapestry (formerly known as Coach brands), the steady stream of "special sales, online only, for valued customers" has dried up.

And without the sale pricing - which was apparently super-frequent as you noted - the numbers are down.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #17735
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have heard of Jimmy Choo, although heaven forbid, please do not ask me from where or any details about brand history or significance or any biographical factoids lol.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #17736
stevew
Hall Of Famer

if you listen to hip-hop at all you’re quite familiar with many of these fashion designers. Even if simply because they rhyme with other phrases
Old 06-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #17737
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fox News' Charles Krauthammer says goodbye to colleagues, friends and viewers | Fox News
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #17738
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

The wife and I both have bought cars in the last few months, and I can't tell you how dreadful the dealership experience was. I am in a field of sales that is typically looked down upon (mattress game), but the grossness and sliminess we came across at several different dealerships was asinine.

Ever dealership was the same as well. Very nice, personable sales person, then the closer (sales manager) with varying levels of sleaziness, then the worst of the worst for us the finance guy. Toyota was really disappointing, with bait and switch tactics on rebates and savings and APR offers. I'm so upset my wife was ready to give up and just get the car at that point because it was so insulting to our intelligence what they do.

To make it quick, we were told we could get the rebate on the car ($2000), plus my wife just graduated grad school in December so we could get $750 for a program they run. They also advertise 0% for 48 months. We get into the finance room and it all went haywire - so many stipulations. If we want the good rates we have to take lower rebates and miss out on like $1000 worth of savings. It was gross and disgusting, and I can't wait to leave some feedback.

For my car, I am fortunate enough to have purchased a Tesla. Night and day difference when it came to the experience. I was trying to push my wife so hard towards the Model 3, so we could be voting with our pocketbook against the dealership system that is in place here. She just doesn't want to have to deal with charging the car, and to be honest, she wouldn't utilize the technology in the car to its fullest extent either.

Well that was my rant for now. The difference leaving both transactions was so different, that I only hope Tesla puts major pressure on the car manufacturers out there to make some changes. I know Tesla isn't perfect, but they are doing a lot of things right.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #17739
molson
General Manager

10+ years ago I was always able to arrange everything by email with the dealership - cost, rebates, financing. I wasn't able to do that this year though. Every email was all about giving you vague info and getting you in the door. I finally found on dealership with the car I wanted 30 miles away that played it straight with me. So I bought my car there and I don't regret taking the drive. I STILL get follow-up emails from other dealers I tried to communicate with 6 months later. I respond and tell them I already bought a car and I decided not to deal with them because they couldn't answer my simple questions over email.

Last edited by molson : 06-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #17740
Ksyrup

I haven't bought a new car in 5 years, but the last several cars we bought spanning 10-15 years, I had everything done before we walked into a dealership. When we bought my wife's first Odyssey way back in 2002 living in Tallahassee, we drove to Ft. Lauderdale to buy it. When we bought her current Odyssey living in Lexington, we drove to Columbus OH. We weren't in there more than 2 hours.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-10-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #17741
Ksyrup

That said, the one regret I have is when we bought Caitlin's car. I will never buy a car for my kid with her with me again. It's an impossible negotiating situation and they know it. When we buy one for Mackenzie, we'll take one trip to test drive and refuse to buy, and then I'll go back a few days later by myself to buy it.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #17742
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The final event in the NCAA's Women's Track and Field Championship was the 4x400 relay. If USC won the event, they'd be national champions. If USC came in 2nd or worst, then UGA (who didn't qualify for the event) would be national champions.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #17743
Ironhead
College Prospect

Just want to share a bit of customer appreciation that really shocked me (in a good way). My wife and I have had a rough year so far losing 3 of our cats in the last 4 months. Our cats are like family to us.

The most recent was on Sunday and we have really been struggling with it. So yesterday we see a package on the front porch from Chewy.com. We order all of our pet food from them but we weren't expecting anything in the mail. We open it up and Chewy had commissioned three 6x6 oil paintings of our cats. The paintings were individually wrapped and included in the package. We just stood there dumbfounded trying to process what we were opening. We still aren't 100% sure how they got the photos that the artist they commissioned used (they clearly used real photos of our cats for reference). I am guessing at some point my wife posted them on Facebook to the company and doesn't remember.

I was searching online and this is something Chewy does regularly - selects some of their customers and commissions paintings of their animals as a gift. We would have been touched by the gesture anyway, but having it happen to coincide with this rough patch of losses and immediately on the heels of the roughest one really touched us.

Last edited by Ironhead : 06-15-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #17744
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The final event in the NCAA's Women's Track and Field Championship was the 4x400 relay. If USC won the event, they'd be national champions. If USC came in 2nd or worst, then UGA (who didn't qualify for the event) would be national champions.

That was amazing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #17745
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Landscaping new construction is fucking outrageously expensive. Especially when you're required to put in irrigation. This was an expense we weren't precisely prepared for.

And from stories from neighbors, we're somehow getting off light in comparison.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-18-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #17746
AlexB
Pro Starter

I had forgotten how not fun food poisoning is. Second time only. The other times were just a dodgy stomach
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #17747
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That was amazing.

No doubt about it, WOW.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #17748
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That was amazing.

I feel for that Purdue student.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #17749
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I had forgotten how not fun food poisoning is. Second time only. The other times were just a dodgy stomach

I feel for you. The first time I had food poisoning was the most miserable experience of my life. Dr. Chesapeake prescribes liquids with electrolytes and watching lots of World Cup.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #17750
Edward64
Head Coach

I was up late last night flipping channels and saw this. Great episode especially when they surprised people at the pub.

https://www.today.com/popculture/jam...al-yet-t131628
Quote:
James Corden has taken all kinds of musicians out for a ride on his "Late, Late Show" Carpool Karaoke segment. But not have been quite as magical, mystical — or emotional — as Thursday's drive ... with former Beatle Paul McCartney.

Corden is airing shows from London this week, but took a side trip north to the Beatles' hometown of Liverpool, where McCartney, 76, slipped in alongside him for renditions of classic tunes like "Penny Lane," "Blackbird" and "Drive My Car" (which seemed obligatory, given the circumstances). He also launched into a new hit, "Come On to Me," from his forthcoming album "Egypt Station."