Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #17851
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm picturing present day David Letterman.

Not entirely off the mark.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #17852
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Dear Sweet Newborn Baby Jesus,

Please let this be true.

this is copypasta that goes around the internet every couple years.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #17853
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When an SNL cast member gets fired and you aren't even sure who he was
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #17854
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is some locked-in opening night shit for me:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/liam-...n-revenge.html
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #17855
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bank of America should probably stop usting BofA as it's abbreviation
Old 08-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #17856
Edward64
Head Coach

I was having a discussion with my 14 year old daughter about something and mentioned "African American". She said its okay nowadays to just say "Black".

This got me wondering if I had it wrong so googled on it. Reddit boards seem to lean towards Black but many bring their global perspective.

Question - is there a strong preference by American Blacks/African Americans on which term to use?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #17857
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I want to say that black is more accepted because of globalization - there are a lot more African immigrants these days and it seems that African-American is a different cultural group (black folk who were born and raised in the US).
Old 08-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #17858
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I was having a discussion with my 14 year old daughter about something and mentioned "African American". She said its okay nowadays to just say "Black".

This got me wondering if I had it wrong so googled on it. Reddit boards seem to lean towards Black but many bring their global perspective.

Question - is there a strong preference by American Blacks/African Americans on which term to use?

I suspect it's a case of "read the room." The terms will be interchangeable for some groups; for others, using "African-American" as a blanket term for all black people within the U.S. amounts to 'erasure,' as they consider that term to refer specifically to the descendants of the American slave population.

And not every black person in this country is American, or even wants to be. So there may be times when neither term would be appropriate.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #17859
digamma
Torchbearer

I think Esther "Mama" Lewis definitively answered this question almost 15 years ago. Search for yourself.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #17860
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

My wife prefers Black as it is a more generic term that she thinks is more inclusive (Her ethnic lineage is from the Caribbean.)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #17861
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So has this really come full circle? I can remember a time when African-American became the go-to PC term and calling someone black was equated to negro or worse.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-20-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #17862
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
And not every black person in this country is American, or even wants to be.

This is the angle that has led to unintentional hilarity on more than one occasion, via bizarrely inaccurate phrases from news organizations & such.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #17863
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think Esther "Mama" Lewis definitively answered this question almost 15 years ago. Search for yourself.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #17864
Ben E Lou

This has been an interesting evolution in the church I attend. For the most part, the under-50 educated white crowd has come to accept/believe that African-American is the safest term to use, and my church is heavily under-50 educated white, so that has been the norm there.

However, through some unexpected circumstances (i.e. there was no "church growth" or "outreach" strategy that made this happen..it just happened,) our church has pretty much become the go-to church in Greensboro for Christian refugees and immigrants from East Africa, a significant percentage of whom have now been here long enough to become American citizens. (It's not like there are a TON of those in GSO, but enough that we have a service in an East African language that meets on Sunday afternoons that is typically attended by 30-40 adults.) Of course, these true "African-Americans" are culturally vastly different from us regular ol' American black folks, so it has been (at least to me) fairly humorous to watch white people twist themselves into a pretzel to try to avoid saying "black" when talking about strategies for better outreach to black folks vs. Africans. I think "ex-Africans" (speaking of the refugees/immigrant population) has been my favorite one so far.

I've always preferred "black," partly because it's easier, and partly because I've known several white "African American" South Africans. Talk about confusing...

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-22-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #17865
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Oh, and for the newbies 'round here...

Quote Of The Holidays... - Front Office Football Central
Old 08-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #17866
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Oh, and for the newbies 'round here...

Quote Of The Holidays... - Front Office Football Central

I googled and didn't find anything after a couple pages so thanks for the link!

So is the consensus that most blacks won't mind being referred to as black?

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-22-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #17867
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Uber just spent like a fuckload of money to upgrade their app. Except every single interface change makes it exactly like lyft which is a terrible driver app. I don't think I'm some crazy oldster either but it's terrible. Why fix some thing not broken and emulate a vastly inferior competitor. It's like if the Yankees suddenly embraced the Padres way.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #17868
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Goodgodamighty, just bought two Braves tickets for a promotional game this week & I think I've probably exceeded my tech limits for a while.

What a clusterfuck that process has become.
Bought from the team website / ticket account, delivered through a separate app (fuck that MLB Ballpark shit) that had to be "connected" to that ticket account, and my parking is on my separate & distinct Ticketmaster app.

When your process requires human intervention (cause password weirdness) it's time to rethink the process.

I'm exhausted with this crap & haven't even fought the fucking traffic yet.

And all I wanted were the damned promotional caps, I give less than one shit about Braves vs Rays on a 90 degree Wednesday night in August.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #17869
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I like going the speed limit on a one lane road just to annoy people
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #17870
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm eating pretzels and they're making me thirsty.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #17871
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm more amused than I should be by those viral pictures of someone doing something kind of weirdly awesome with the caption "LOL! Only in [State]!" And the state totally changes based on who is passing on the picture.

There's a nice kind of connection in that we all think that our state is the strangest one of all.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #17872
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm eating pretzels and they're making me thirsty.

You’re not doing it right, these pretzels are making ME THIRSTY!

Last edited by Warhammer : 08-29-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #17873
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Goodgodamighty, just bought two Braves tickets for a promotional game this week & I think I've probably exceeded my tech limits for a while.

What a clusterfuck that process has become.
Bought from the team website / ticket account, delivered through a separate app (fuck that MLB Ballpark shit) that had to be "connected" to that ticket account, and my parking is on my separate & distinct Ticketmaster app.

When your process requires human intervention (cause password weirdness) it's time to rethink the process.

I'm exhausted with this crap & haven't even fought the fucking traffic yet.

And all I wanted were the damned promotional caps, I give less than one shit about Braves vs Rays on a 90 degree Wednesday night in August.

That is a pretty cool hat - did they do a GT night?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #17874
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Tickets are basically going all digital at this point. Atlanta United matches don't issue paper. Season Ticket holders get a card you tap to the terminals and if you buy a ticket, you can only have it through ticketmaster, which you use to pull up the QR code that you scan.

Don't have any idea how parking works, so I don't drive to games.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #17875
PilotMan
Head Coach

The story behind the girl who was ringing doorbells in Texas has a very disturbing story now that they have identified her. ugh.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #17876
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
That is a pretty cool hat - did they do a GT night?

If they did I didn't see it. All SEC schools that I saw (while figuring out how to get in on this deal). UGA, UT, SC, Ole Miss, State, Bama (I think) and Auburn.

The hats are solid, all cloth, no snapback shit, embroidered logos, they're legit.

Worth ... lemme see, $80ish in tickets, another $23 to park, I guess $30ish in food ... worth $133 for two hats? Ehhhhhh probably not but, screw it, there sure won't be too many of those in Oxford so good for the kid.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #17877
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I just ordered Red Lobster delivery through GrubHub. This could be interesting.

edit: Shockingly, it was warm and not horribly overcooked. I'm impressed.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-02-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #17878
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. I deliver Chipotle and B-Dubs and Applebees(among others) all day long for DoorDash. Food generally pays way better than people in your car. I basically only do surge trips on UberX/Lyft now.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #17879
stevew
Hall Of Famer

GribHub signups are full in my market so I haven't bothered to pick another area. Uber Eats pays the worst out of the delivery services, I only do that if I'm chasing a bonus or it's extremely convenient.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #17880
ColtCrazy
College Starter

We did Grubhub while on our trip in Philadelphia, and it worked great. On a side note, we used OpenTable while in Chicago. Every place we were hitting had an hour wait. Used OpenTable and walked right in with one waiting for us...maybe 15 minutes ahead of time.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #17881
Logan
Head Coach

Newspapers and websites that show MLB/NFL standings side by side...every single one will display the East on the left, Central in the middle, and West on the right. If we're including the South for the NFL, it will be in that second or third spot but the East/West display will be the same. TV broadcasts show the same alignment when displaying the playoff picture...division leaders, wildcards, contenders...

Why the hell would they not show West on the left and East on the right?

Last edited by Logan : 09-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #17882
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Newspapers and websites that show MLB/NFL standings side by side...every single one will display the East on the left, Central in the middle, and West on the right. If we're including the South for the NFL, it will be in that second or third spot but the East/West display will be the same. TV broadcasts show the same alignment when displaying the playoff picture...division leaders, wildcards, contenders...

Demographics, at least for websites.

From a population standpoint, most of the country lives East of the Mississippi, so when they're looking up their FOOBAW standings, the teams they're interested in are likely to be in the Eastern or Central divisions.

Quicker you can hook 'em with what they're looking for, the quicker you can try to entice them to stay to look at other things.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #17883
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Is there a large segment of people who really care how their meat is sliced? I feel like if you need it particularly thinly or thickly sliced it should be on you to tell the person, instead of having the deli person slice one off, hold it out to me and ask if that's ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'm more amused than I should be by those viral pictures of someone doing something kind of weirdly awesome with the caption "LOL! Only in [State]!" And the state totally changes based on who is passing on the picture.

There's a nice kind of connection in that we all think that our state is the strangest one of all.
I thought we all agreed Florida was the weirdest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just the passwords they require get me these days. I have separate and tough passwords for my bank & my main Google account... anything else I want to use the same basic password, and asking me to use 10+ characters with an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter, a number, and a special character for something I don't use daily is basically just saying you want me to go through the hassle of a password reset every time I want to log in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Because Rupert Murdoch and the rest of the secret cabal of newspapermen and TV owners are from Australia and have the South Pole at the top of their maps. Your Northern Hemisphere bias is showing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #17884
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Airline prices are so bizarre. We were looking at a long delayed trip to Rome for my 40th birthday next year.

We could fly...
Business Class from Denver to Rome ~ $4,800.

Or...
Business Class from Denver to London - $2,300. Spend a couple nights in London. Spend another $300 or less for a round trip flight from London to Rome. Spend the bulk of the trip there. Fly back to London, spend one or two more nights there, fly home.

It's literally over a thousand dollars cheaper, closer to two grand, in airfare to visit both Britain and Italy in one trip than it is to visit one.

edit: And yes. If we're going to EU for the big 40, we're going big and flying business.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-07-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #17885
henry296
College Starter

We drove to Canada to save over 500 a ticket to fly to Hawaii and both flights connected through Chicago. Also was cheaper to book a separate inner island flight than have one itinerary.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #17886
molson
General Manager

I was playing around with flights last week, found I could fly almost anywhere in the world (economy), THAT DAY from Boise for under $900 (The Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe), but it would take $1,500 to get to London.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #17887
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am seriously thankful for electricity and a working sump pump today. We have been getting hammered with rain for 2 days now. Our basement flooded last year and I can't get a good night's sleep when it's storming anymore.

As I sit here, I'm listening to the sump pump empty the pit at least twice a minute.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-09-2018 at 08:34 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #17888
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Trying to learn Fortnite is about as humbling an experience you can have as a 43 year old man.

And how is there not a Fortnite thread?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #17889
Ksyrup

As a business, if you're going to join the modern world and offer services you can sign up for online (in this case, appointments), you should damn well make sure you implement the process right.

So, when I make an appointment for new tires, the appointment is received and accepted via email confirmation, and I show up at your store only to be told that the person who does appointments never actually opened the appointment to see that I wanted new tires (at a tire store - who knew?!) so they never ordered them, you can kindly F the F off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #17890
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If my kids have 15 minutes to eat and get ready for school they will take 14, if they have 45 they will take 44. It is maddening.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #17891
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As a business, if you're going to join the modern world and offer services you can sign up for online (in this case, appointments), you should damn well make sure you implement the process right.

So, when I make an appointment for new tires, the appointment is received and accepted via email confirmation, and I show up at your store only to be told that the person who does appointments never actually opened the appointment to see that I wanted new tires (at a tire store - who knew?!) so they never ordered them, you can kindly F the F off.

I'm assuming you are spending $1000 or more on tires too, or in that ballpark. Crazy.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #17892
Ksyrup

$1250, yes.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #17893
miami_fan
Coordinator

The phenomenon of putting a picture/video of a person on Twitter and have the people on Twitter be able to identify not only who that person is AND where they work is both amazing and terrifying to me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #17894
molson
General Manager

Is there any scientific validity to my theory that 4-5 light beers with friends will knock out a cold you've been fighting?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #17895
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think even a cold can stand light beers
Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #17896
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't think even a cold can stand light beers

In my head, good beer would be bad for my cold, and light beer would help it.....This may have just been internal justification to drink at the random Cheap Trick concert at a golf course in my neighborhood tonight, but I think I knocked out the cold.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #17897
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
$1250, yes.

So they ate something like 300-600$+ in profit cause someone couldn't be fucked to check an email. Nice.

Last edited by stevew : 09-15-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #17898
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm already sick of political ads on TV. I already get the impression that the two candidates for Ohio governor are probably the two worst people to ever walk the Earth.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #17899
Ksyrup

We've been subjected to Andy Barr/Amy McGrath commercials around Lexington for months. Whether it's the scumbag, rip your opponent apart crap or the sickeningly sweet self-portrayal crap, I can't stomach any of it. I don't know how anyone can get into politics.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #17900
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Note to my dentist: if my thoughts during sedation turn to the dental scene from Marathon Man, you may have underestimated the amount of novocaine necessary for the procedure.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote