Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #18501
molson
General Manager

I like to watch blockbuster movies at the theater at wacky times - I caught Avengers at 10:35 last night IMAX 2D, which, with the 25 minutes of trailers and everything, got me home just after 2. Then I walked the dog. I'll be tired later. But I feel less stagnant and happier when I shake up my normal routine here and there. I also like to wake up at 3:30 AM sometimes in the hottest part of the summer, drive up with the dog a couple of hours to this lake in a valley where it's maybe 50-60 degrees cooler at 6AM than it is at the hottest part of the day in Boise, hike around a bit, and then roll into work just a little late. Either activity results in a long nap when I get home from work the next day. I don't have kids, and fortunately my girlfriend accepts this nonsense - apparently without even thinking its cover for a torrid affair.

I'd also like to brag that I drank a large diet coke and didn't have to go to the bathroom once during the Avengers. (But not the credits, I'll have to catch whatever happened there on youtube.)

Last edited by molson : 05-14-2019 at 11:02 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #18502
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I like to watch blockbuster movies at the theater at wacky times - I caught Avengers at 10:35 last night IMAX 2D, which, with the 25 minutes of trailers and everything, got me home just after 2. Then I walked the dog. I'll be tired later. But I feel less stagnant and happier when I shake up my normal routine here and there. I also like to wake up at 3:30 AM sometimes in the hottest part of the summer, drive up with the dog a couple of hours to this lake in a valley where it's maybe 50-60 degrees cooler at 6AM than it is at the hottest part of the day in Boise, hike around a bit, and then roll into work just a little late. Either activity results in a long nap when I get home from work the next day. I don't have kids, and fortunately my girlfriend accepts this nonsense - apparently without even thinking its cover for a torrid affair.

I'd also like to brag that I drank a large diet coke and didn't have to go to the bathroom once during the Avengers. (But not the credits, I'll have to catch whatever happened there on youtube.)

You didn't miss anything! There was no post-credits scene or anything.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #18503
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You didn't miss anything! There was no post-credits scene or anything.

Awesome - they did tease that the Spiderman trailer would be screening after the movie, I guess that started just a few days ago. But I'm very glad I didn't hold out for just that.

Last edited by molson : 05-14-2019 at 11:19 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #18504
JeeberD
General Manager

I had my first in-person job interview in five years yesterday. I'm one of the two final candidates, and the next step would be a final interview with the hiring manager and possibly her boss. Every hour that goes by without hearing something from them hikes up the anxiety a little bit more. Every time my phone buzzes with an email notification and it's not from them, even more. I'm in HR, so I know what all goes into the interview process and how it can sometime take a while for next step decisions to be made, but the wait is killing me. I want this job bad.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #18505
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I had my first in-person job interview in five years yesterday. I'm one of the two final candidates, and the next step would be a final interview with the hiring manager and possibly her boss. Every hour that goes by without hearing something from them hikes up the anxiety a little bit more. Every time my phone buzzes with an email notification and it's not from them, even more. I'm in HR, so I know what all goes into the interview process and how it can sometime take a while for next step decisions to be made, but the wait is killing me. I want this job bad.

I know trying to apply this now is unlikely to work, but try to adopt an abundance mindset. In other words, if you don't get the job, it's not the end of the world. There are other jobs. You don't have to live or die with this one. If you get it, fantastic and congratulations (and get to work). If not, shrug, understand that you're still fine and in good health, and go after the next one.

Good luck!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #18506
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks, Chief. Yeah, I know that I'm in a good place right now and that this job would just be gravy, but damn it would be DELICIOUS gravy. A 20-25% increase, my commute would change from 45 minutes to 15 minutes, and there are lots of opportunities for growth. I like where I currently work, and I like my current boss. There just aren't any opportunities to grow, they've been stingy with the merit increases, plus we were just bought out by a huge company...so the future of my position is uncertain at this time.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #18507
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone here have any experiences with an armpit rash?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #18508
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Have you recently tried a new deodorant?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #18509
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Have you recently tried a new deodorant?

Same one I've been using for 15 years now (old spice). Also the rash is under only one armpit. It kind of looks like a bad sunburn.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #18510
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Good luck Jeeber! I was in a similar space recently, doing tons of interviews, tho I just started working after 10 years out of the professional space, so I can certainly identify with all your anxiety & timing complaints. I'm sure you'll find the best spot for yourself!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-14-2019 at 07:49 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #18511
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Have you changed or taken any new medications?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #18512
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Have you changed or taken any new medications?

nope
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #18513
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Using a new laundry detergent?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #18514
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shingles?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #18515
cuervo72
Head Coach

Poison ivy loofah?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #18516
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've gotten a rash on one arm from trying to use the absolute last sliver of the deoderant stick and instead just scraping my armpit over and over with the container.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #18517
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Same one I've been using for 15 years now (old spice). Also the rash is under only one armpit. It kind of looks like a bad sunburn.
Probably totally unrelated.
But I used Old Spice deoderant for ...well not 15 years but probably close to 10 until last year both underarms broke out. Wasnt really a rash just felt "raw"...got worse over a week or so.

Called my sister who is a pharmacist to ask what to put on this as it was painful to wear a shirt. She gave me some mumbo jumbo about body chemistry shifts and changes and stuff I didnt understand and told me to wear no deodorant for a day or two and use powder.

Then after it cleared up to try the same deodorant and if it started feeling that way again to change. I did, it did, I did. No more issues.

As always YMMV.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #18518
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Try some Zyrtec and switch deodorant
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #18519
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had a monster stomach rash a month or so. Thought it was shingles(it wasn’t )but it might have been detergent. Anyways switched and it eventually went away. But it was sheer pain and itch for a week or more
Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #18520
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Probably totally unrelated.
But I used Old Spice deoderant for ...well not 15 years but probably close to 10 until last year both underarms broke out. Wasnt really a rash just felt "raw"...got worse over a week or so.

Called my sister who is a pharmacist to ask what to put on this as it was painful to wear a shirt. She gave me some mumbo jumbo about body chemistry shifts and changes and stuff I didnt understand and told me to wear no deodorant for a day or two and use powder.

Then after it cleared up to try the same deodorant and if it started feeling that way again to change. I did, it did, I did. No more issues.

As always YMMV.

I stopped by the grocery store today with the intent of buying a different brand of deoderant but completely forgot. If I go to work without deoderant I'm afraid they'd fire me.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #18521
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I had a monster stomach rash a month or so. Thought it was shingles(it wasn’t )but it might have been detergent. Anyways switched and it eventually went away. But it was sheer pain and itch for a week or more

Mine does itch every once in a while but it absolutely stings when I apply deodorant.

I intend on switching brands and seeing how that works out.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #18522
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mine does itch every once in a while but it absolutely stings when I apply deodorant.

I intend on switching brands and seeing how that works out.

fwiw, my wife (like her father before her) has allergic reactions to anything other than the hypo-allergenic stuff. With it, zero problems.

I mention simply because that might be a route worth trying for anyone who has persistent issues (and it isn't all crazy expensive, you can find a couple of h-a brands at Walmart even)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #18523
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I stopped by the grocery store today with the intent of buying a different brand of deoderant but completely forgot. If I go to work without deoderant I'm afraid they'd fire me.

Everyone is different of course, but I powdered for a few days and it wasnt nearly as bad as I feared.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #18524
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My HS alma mater won the state Rocket League championship this afternoon.
(*e-sports is now sanctioned by the state governing body, contest Rocket League and League of Legends this season).

It is the first state championship for the school since 1974
(and I believe it was the first state title appearance in any event since then as well)
Old 05-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #18525
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

I still hadn't heard anything this morning, so I emailed the recruiter and asked if there was an update. She said that she was just about to email me and that they want me to come in on 5/28! I'll be meeting with the hiring manager Director level) and her boss (VP)! Hopefully after that they'll make a decision.

I also had two other phone interviews today that seemed promising, so if it doesn't work out there are still other options.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #18526
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nice!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #18527
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Great to hear!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #18528
AlexB
Pro Starter

Nice work bud!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #18529
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cool (re Jeeberjob)
Old 05-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #18530
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Joys of parenthood. Daughter's been puking (or dry heaving) pretty much every 5-10 minutes since about 7pm last night. She managed a couple hours of sleep here and there. Outside of that....bllleeeggggggh.

And of course, I had to take our boy to his first baseball practice this morning. After zero sleep. Good times.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #18531
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Arnold Schwarzenegger blindsided, dropkicked in the back during sporting event in South Africa

So Arnold spends his time watching and video taping jump roping events in South Africa?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #18532
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Arnold spends his time watching and video taping jump roping events in South Africa?

Not that there's anything wrong with that
Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #18533
RainMaker
General Manager

He's 71 and barely budged. That's pretty impressive.

Also watching the video, he has some rather large bodyguards.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #18534
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #18535
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am desperately trying to find out where/how I can turn this in for street credit (Spit Stix is the punk nom de plume of my drum teacher, and Dave Lombardo is the drummer/co-founder of Slayer):

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-23-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #18536
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #18537
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yet another horrid espn.com redesign. They can shove autoplaying video up their arse
Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #18538
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He's 71 and barely budged. That's pretty impressive.

Also watching the video, he has some rather large bodyguards.

His bodyguards have always been enormous. My dad was able to visit the set of End of Days way back in the day and he said they were by far the largest, most intimidating men he'd ever seen.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #18539
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Are mopeds a thing anymore? When I was a kid I knew at least a handful of other kids who had one, now you never see them.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #18540
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Of course they are, in Portland. I saw 50 mopeds at a gas station last week.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #18541
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Without a doubt, the greatest prank in the history of my hometown was pulled off this morning.

Local strip shopping center (no pun intended) hangs banner "Adult Entertainment Coming Soon"

The amount of pearl clutching that exploded on social media over the next few hours was mindboggling.

It was, of course, a practical joke. The most glorious and heroic practical joke EVER

(backstory: the perp is a guy who owns a local 'Escape Room" there, which is basically going under for lack of business. The sign was a rather obvious shot at those who cry for "family entertainment" but didn't patronize his place ... granted he was a damned fool for opening it in a place that lacks the necessary population but his saltiness is at least somewhat fair I suppose)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #18542
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone here ever try healthywage.com?

Basically it's a site that allows you to place a bet on yourself losing weight. With summer coming around I'm getting into a weight-loss kick again and I'm thinking this would help motivate me. Just running some numbers a $450 wager to lose 30 lbs in 9 months would give me roughly a $340 profit.

It's rated A+ on the BBB's website but not accredited. I've seen enough reviews to make me think it's not a scam.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #18543
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Who verifies the weight?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #18544
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Who verifies the weight?

Apparently you send them a video of you weighing yourself or something. That's one of questions I want answered.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #18545
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm, yeah I'd totally want more about that as well. Wonder if they require a certain 'scale' as part of it.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #18546
Edward64
Head Coach

Uber drivers - just like you don't want me to slam your door or eat in your car, I don't want wind blowing in my face or you trying to talk to me when you have the music volume up.

Uber was great early on. The early adopters seem to really differentiate themselves from the yellow cabs. Unfortunately, it seems the quality has degraded as Uber has grown.

Nevertheless, I'll still take an Uber over a yellow cab anyday.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #18547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah it's race to the bottom shit now. 2/3 of the drivers I see seem to be otherwise unemployable.

I still make my money but there's so many drivers out there that I'm legit scared if getting wrecked into by some d-bag trying to earn a nickle

Last edited by stevew : 06-05-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #18548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure I know what's going to land me in prison. It won't involve fast food, shockingly enough.

No, it's probably going to be the next person that ignores a specific explicit EASTERN time deadline and tries to slide by delivering by CENTRAL time.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #18549
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anyways, I was going to post this on Monday, but the thread was screwy, but... we had a really fantastic Church meeting this past week. I'm currently serving as the Vice President of the Southeastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (the liberal Lutheran denomination). The Southeastern Synod consists of Lutheran congregations in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi. And the Vice President is the highest ranking lay leader in the Synod (I was elected last year). The President is the Bishop of the Synod.

So this year's Assembly we had a Bishop election. Our previous Bishop decided to step down after 12 years of serving in the role. And our final two came down to a gay man (who was the ELCA's Head of Worship as well as a former Pastor in the Synod) and a black woman (who previously served as a CEO before entering the Ministry). The election ended up with the gay man being elected to the position - in the 10th anniversary of the 2009 decision where the ELCA affirmed that LGBTQ members in monogamous relationships could still be rostered in our denomination.

It was quite an emotional experience when the final vote was called.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #18550
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks, Chief. Yeah, I know that I'm in a good place right now and that this job would just be gravy, but damn it would be DELICIOUS gravy. A 20-25% increase, my commute would change from 45 minutes to 15 minutes, and there are lots of opportunities for growth. I like where I currently work, and I like my current boss. There just aren't any opportunities to grow, they've been stingy with the merit increases, plus we were just bought out by a huge company...so the future of my position is uncertain at this time.

So I got the second interview with this company (OHD), and I had a corporate recruiter reach out to me on LinkedIn who spend 45 minutes talking to me and was all hot and heavy. I wound up interviewing with that company (TAS), too, and on my way out they were asking if I was interviewing anyone else and to be sure to let me know if I received any other offers. I was excited about this position, but it was slightly behind OHD in my mind.

There was a third position I also interviewed for. It's an HR position, it's fairly close to home, and it has some cool benefits (it's an airline and my family and I can fly standby for free). However, the position focuses on a skillset/responsibility that I don't have much experience in, and I was clear about that. The interview went pretty well, and I think they liked me, but they kind of rushed me out at the end of the interview, and I didn't hear back from them afterward so I wrote them off.

OHD had given me a deadline of the end of the week or the very beginning of the following week for a decision. TAS had given me a deadline of "about a week", which would have been Wednesday. The airline didn't give me a deadline.

By Monday I hadn't heard anything from OHD so I wrote the recruiter and asked for an update. No response for several days. I was upset, my favorite was apparently out of the running. On Tuesday I wrote TAS and asked them if they had an update. I got a, "We're going to keep looking at other candidates" email in response. I was despondent...I was sure I was going to get offered by both OHD and TAS, and now I was without an offer at all.

Yesterday, as I'm driving to work, I get a call from OHD...the recruiter tells me that she has bad news, that sales are down so they've been ordered to slow down on the recruiting...including the position I was interviewing for. She told me that they "all REALLY REALLY REALLY liked me", so it sounds like the offer would have been mine. Then she says that she hopes its on hold only for a short while and if I'm still available they'll reach out to me if/when it opens up again.

THEN, out of the blue yesterday evening, I got a call from the recruiter from the airline. I was SHOCKED, he wanted to make an offer! I'm 95% sure I'm going to accept...their medical kind of sucks, no employer contribution to their HSA, PTO isn't great, but it's a big bump in pay, close to home, and I get to learn new skills and responsibilities that I've been trying to get my current boss to train me on for at least two years now.

Life works in weird ways.