Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #18551
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fly on out to Colorado Springs and I'll buy you a celebratory beer.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #18552
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I ate octopus tonight.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #18553
Critch
lolzcat

I have a birthday coming up (it's the end of the month so still time to send presents) and I've realized that the age I'm going to be is the age I thought I was now. I'm actually a year younger than I thought I was.

I think losing count of your age is a sign you're getting old.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #18554
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Congrats Jeebs!

If you ever want to come up to the Jersey Shore you have a place to crash.

As for the job I think companies look a lot more for someone who is a good fit with the culture. You can train someone with half a brain to do a job. If someone is an asshole they are an asshole.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #18555
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I have a birthday coming up (it's the end of the month so still time to send presents) and I've realized that the age I'm going to be is the age I thought I was now. I'm actually a year younger than I thought I was.

I think losing count of your age is a sign you're getting old.

I played some poker in Atlantic City today. Chatting with the older lady next to me. Mentioned I have 2 kids. She looked at me aghast and said no way I am old enough to have kids. I thought she was kidding but she was dead serious, said I looked 18. When I told her I was 44 she didn't believe me. I showed her my license and she said it must be a fake.

We were down at the shore a couple weeks ago and there were drunk kids everywhere. I swear they all looked 15,

Age is a funny thing.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #18556
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We were down at the shore a couple weeks ago and there were drunk kids everywhere. I swear they all looked 15

Don't discount that possibility.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #18557
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Don't discount that possibility.

Nah. Not down there. Those bars are pretty strict about IDs. I remember several years ago getting in to it with a bouncer because he wouldn't let me in with a passport.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #18558
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nah. Not down there. Those bars are pretty strict about IDs. I remember several years ago getting in to it with a bouncer because he wouldn't let me in with a passport.

Random amusing thing for me this summer. My kid turned 21, got back to his hometown, figured a legal drink was appropriate.

It took 3 tries before anyone ever carded him (to his chagrin)
Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #18559
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I played some poker in Atlantic City today. Chatting with the older lady next to me. Mentioned I have 2 kids. She looked at me aghast and said no way I am old enough to have kids. I thought she was kidding but she was dead serious, said I looked 18. When I told her I was 44 she didn't believe me. I showed her my license and she said it must be a fake.

We were down at the shore a couple weeks ago and there were drunk kids everywhere. I swear they all looked 15,

Age is a funny thing.

She was flirting
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #18560
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I ate octopus tonight.

Kinky
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #18561
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Fly on out to Colorado Springs and I'll buy you a celebratory beer.

Quote:
Congrats Jeebs!

If you ever want to come up to the Jersey Shore you have a place to crash.

Thank you, kind gents! I may have to take you up on those offers some day!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #18562
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Anyways, I was going to post this on Monday, but the thread was screwy, but... we had a really fantastic Church meeting this past week. I'm currently serving as the Vice President of the Southeastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (the liberal Lutheran denomination). The Southeastern Synod consists of Lutheran congregations in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi. And the Vice President is the highest ranking lay leader in the Synod (I was elected last year). The President is the Bishop of the Synod.

I bet you've run into some of my friends and family who are heavily involved in ELCA matters. I know maybe 15+ ELCA pastors scattered around. Mostly out of the northeast, but also around the country, and some others involved in national fundraising and other stuff. And I have a long-time ELCA pastor Uncle who moved to Georgia (Savannah area), and became a pastor of one of those churches that split off for reasons you can guess. (though every other one I know stayed and is enthusiastic about how the church has evolved).

My experiences growing up in those churches was just so much different that those of so many of my friends out in Idaho who basically were cast off by their churches (and in some instances, families) for various reasons.

Last edited by molson : 06-10-2019 at 02:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #18563
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It is amazing and maddening how many subcontractor types don't want work. I have called plumbers, electricians, irrigation companies, landscapers, etc..and left messages without a call back. It is crazy.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #18564
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I bet you've run into some of my friends and family who are heavily involved in ELCA matters. I know maybe 15+ ELCA pastors scattered around. Mostly out of the northeast, but also around the country, and some others involved in national fundraising and other stuff. And I have a long-time ELCA pastor Uncle who moved to Georgia (Savannah area), and became a pastor of one of those churches that split off for reasons you can guess. (though every other one I know stayed and is enthusiastic about how the church has evolved).

My experiences growing up in those churches was just so much different that those of so many of my friends out in Idaho who basically were cast off by their churches (and in some instances, families) for various reasons.

I don't know that many ELCA folks outside of the Southeastern Synod (well, aside from other Synod Vice Presidents). The Synod structure can create closer community, but also somewhat a wall for other areas. Then again, it's a large church - be hard to know leaders around the country anyways.

I'm am glad as to how the church has grown since the 2009 decision, though the ELCA lost a few congregations (far less than anticipated, mind - and that new denomination is very small and hasn't been growing much). It's nuts to think that 12 years ago, the church I'm in was cast out of the ELCA because we had a gay pastor in a relationship... and now it's the new Synod offices for the Southeastern Synod.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #18565
Jstraub
n00b

Will NOT having tattoos be trendy soon?
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #18566
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
Will NOT having tattoos be trendy soon?

You'd have to think so, right? We're already like knee deep into ironic, intentionally shitty face tattoos, so there's not really anywhere else to go from here. Maybe solid color, full body tattoos? Plaid?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-10-2019 at 08:22 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #18567
Edward64
Head Coach

US Women's soccer shellacking of the Thai team and celebration of the win is unsettling to me. Shows lack of sportsmanship and IMO should be criticized.

USA 13-0 rout of Thailand raises sportsmanship, sexism questions | SI.com
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #18568
Jstraub
n00b

The shellacking is not unsportsmanlike, it’s a function of teams having the incentive to score as many goals as possible at this stage.

The celebrating??? Goal scoring in soccer is not equivalent to making a layup in basketball. I admit I dont watch a ton of soccer, but I can’t ever remember a time when a goal was not celebrated, at almost any completion level, regardless of score. Nobody just lines up for the kickoff, emotionless, after scoring( maybe Kawhi would; lol). The fact the game was well in hand made no difference. These women were doing what they were told (score many goals) and acting how ALL soccer players act (celebrate wildly after you score).
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #18569
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This goal made it 9-0. She acted like she just won the WC. I have no issue with the score, but celebrations like that are totally unnecessary.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #18570
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
US Women's soccer shellacking of the Thai team and celebration of the win is unsettling to me. Shows lack of sportsmanship and IMO should be criticized.

Nope.

It's a game that has limited substitutions (so you can't just 'play all the bench') and a competition structure where goal differential is a tiebreaker.

I don't know that any sort of wildly over-the-top celebrations were necessary after the first half dozen or so goals (nor have I been interested enough to investigate that, much less watch each post-goal celebration to critique them individually) but you score as the opportunity presents itself.

The alternative is, what, exactly? Standing on the ball for an extended period? I'm sure that'd be a big boost for ticket sales, not to mention calling into to question the very legitimacy of the competition as currently constructed.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #18571
spleen1015
Coordinator

You don't want them scoring 13 goals? Do a better job at stopping them.

You don't want them celebrating? Don't let them score.

I was wrong on this once in my life as well.

There's a reason why losers are losers.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #18572
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You don't want them scoring 13 goals? Do a better job at stopping them.

You don't want them celebrating? Don't let them score.

I was wrong on this once in my life as well.

There's a reason why losers are losers.

There is also such a thing as sportsmanship and not being a sore winner.

Score all you want. Rubbing it in to an obviously inferior opponent just makes you look like a giant ass.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #18573
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Nope.

It's a game that has limited substitutions (so you can't just 'play all the bench') and a competition structure where goal differential is a tiebreaker.

I don't know that any sort of wildly over-the-top celebrations were necessary after the first half dozen or so goals (nor have I been interested enough to investigate that, much less watch each post-goal celebration to critique them individually) but you score as the opportunity presents itself.

The alternative is, what, exactly? Standing on the ball for an extended period? I'm sure that'd be a big boost for ticket sales, not to mention calling into to question the very legitimacy of the competition as currently constructed.

This.

IMO to NOT try and score is a bigger insult to your competition. It also gives you a chance to work on set pieces, etc...for when you play a stronger opponent.

I stand firmly in my opinion that the post goal celebrations were totally unnecessary.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #18574
bob
College Starter

Quote:
not to mention calling into to question the very legitimacy of the competition as currently constructed.

I think that's the rub. There are only about 10 legitimate teams in women's soccer as far as I can tell.

I have no problem with the score line. Might have been a little tacky to celebrate like crazy after 9-0 and beyond. Also not a great look to use all your subs on fresh attackers that kept pushing forward for more goals.

That being said, still not the job of the US to stop the US team.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #18575
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Also not a great look to use all your subs on fresh attackers that kept pushing forward for more goals.

I don't know what the 2nd half possession numbers were, but if it were less than 90-10 USA, I'd be surprised. Thailand was just clearing for their life the whole half... largely unsuccessfully considering the 10 goals they allowed.

Agree with Jon and Lathum in that you could tone down the celebrations at some point.

Last edited by Butter : 06-12-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #18576
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
There is also such a thing as sportsmanship and not being a sore winner.

Score all you want. Rubbing it in to an obviously inferior opponent just makes you look like a giant ass.

Call it what you want. It is just sour grapes. Losers get upset at the winners for celebrating because they can't handle being losers. They need to find a way to make the winners look bad since they look bad for losing.

Why can't people celebrate the good things they do? Because you lost due to the good things they are celebrating?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #18577
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Call it what you want. It is just sour grapes. Losers get upset at the winners for celebrating because they can't handle being losers. They need to find a way to make the winners look bad since they look bad for losing.

Why can't people celebrate the good things they do? Because you lost due to the good things they are celebrating?

Solid lesson to teach all the young girls watching. Would you really want your young daughter to refer to an opponent she just beat as losers?

This is why the rest of the world hates Americans.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #18578
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

At what point does scoring a goal stop being a celebratory accomplishment? Never? 90-0, they should be out there celebrating just as much?

How about just try not to be a dick. If you wouldn't want somebody out there strutting around like they won the World Cup when they score a 10th goal on you, then don't do it to them.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #18579
Edward64
Head Coach

I do understand # of goals matter. Its the unnecessary celebration after X goal that is distasteful and unsports(wo)man like. Go ahead and hug and give high-fives.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #18580
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Solid lesson to teach all the young girls watching. Would you really want your young daughter to refer to an opponent she just beat as losers?

This is why the rest of the world hates Americans.

So, let's talk about that.

My daughter is about to commit to play softball in college. She's has been on both sides of this. As a fan of her and her teams, I have been on both sides of this.

When she was younger, I used to get butt hurt that the other team ran up the score 24-0. At some point, I learned that it's not right to ask the other team not to give 100% even though we are losing 15-0 already.

Just last year, her team lost 10-0 to their big rivals. When the score was 8-0, the other team hit a 2 run HR and the crowd went nuts. I was bothered by that. I thought they were poor sports, etc. Once I thought about it, I realized I only felt that way because I was on the bad end of what just happened. If I was on the good end, I would have been cheering. Sour grapes.

Fast forward to this year. Same 2 teams, the score is 0-0 through 5 innings. In the bottom of the 6th inning, we hit a 2-run HR to take the lead. We end up scoring 8 runs in that inning. Those same parents who were cheering the year before were the ones posting on facebook the next day that the parents of our kids are classless because we were cheering too much.

It is all just sour grapes, man.

I also like how my opinion doesn't match yours, so you try to be all righteous and shit by saying it's wrong for me to refer to the losers of a game as the losers. You can't refute anything else I say so you nitpick and find something else for me to be wrong about.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #18581
molson
General Manager

Who are we trying to protect here? This is kind of patronizing.

As far as I know the Thailand players haven't left the tournament, and weren't up all night on the phone crying to their mommies.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #18582
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Who are we trying to protect here? This is kind of patronizing.

The US image of not being an "ugly American"?

Obviously this is nothing compared to Trump but doesn't help.

Quote:
... and weren't up all night on the phone crying to their mommies.

Can't know for sure but being somewhat knowledgeable about Asian culture, yeah I would say there is a fair chance this (or like) happened.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-12-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #18583
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

How about just try not to be a dick. If you wouldn't want somebody out there strutting around like they won the World Cup when they score a 10th goal on you, then don't do it to them.

That's true, if you're the kind of athlete (or parent I guess) who gets emotionally broken or vindictive when your opponents celebrate, you shouldn't do it yourself.

I don't think everybody has that makeup though.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #18584
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
When she was younger, I used to get butt hurt that the other team ran up the score 24-0. At some point, I learned that it's not right to ask the other team not to give 100% even though we are losing 15-0 already.

Just last year, her team lost 10-0 to their big rivals. When the score was 8-0, the other team hit a 2 run HR and the crowd went nuts. I was bothered by that. I thought they were poor sports, etc. Once I thought about it, I realized I only felt that way because I was on the bad end of what just happened. If I was on the good end, I would have been cheering. Sour grapes.

I would be interested in your daughter's point of view if/when you get a chance.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #18585
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
That's true, if you're the kind of athlete (or parent I guess) who gets emotionally broken or vindictive when your opponents celebrate, you shouldn't do it yourself.

I don't think everybody has that makeup though.

I GUARAN-FUCKING-TEE that if the USA lost to Thailand somehow 13-0, and Thailand was doing sliding scissor kick celebrations at 9-0, that there would be a shitload of crying.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #18586
molson
General Manager

Quote:
The US image of not being an "ugly American"?

This whole debate is the most American thing ever, if anything, this is what we'd be mocked for.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #18587
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I GUARAN-FUCKING-TEE that if the USA lost to Thailand somehow 13-0, and Thailand was doing sliding scissor kick celebrations at 9-0, that there would be a shitload of crying.

Why should an opponent's happiness make a terrible loss worse (if you're older than 6)? That's just being a sore loser.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #18588
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Why should an opponent's happiness make a terrible loss worse (if you're older than 6)? That's just being a sore loser.

So for you, there is no such thing as being a sore winner? You get to do whatever you want because you're winning and fuck the losers? That seems a slippery slope, and not really something I'd agree with or want my children to emulate. But they're pretty much grown now, so that die is cast.

This is a stupid argument. There is no absolute. I feel there is, at some point, a point at which aggressively celebrating every achievement over a beaten down, given up opponent, is excessive. Some don't. Fine. No one wins this argument, because no minds will be changed, so congratulations.

Last edited by Butter : 06-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #18589
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I would be interested in your daughter's point of view if/when you get a chance.

Of course she's bothered by losing. You don't play games to lose. But she's never felt like the other team was wrong for winning 24-0 when they could have taken it easy and won 14-0.

In both of the examples I gave, she was the pitcher for her team. She's upset that her team lost 10-0 and as the pitcher she accepts the responsibility. She blames herself. She doesn't give a shit about how the other team or fans react. She only cares about how the result relates to herself.

My daughter is pretty humble on her own. That's just her personality. She doesn't celebrate her individual achievements. She doesn't bat flip or pump her fist, etc when she hits HRs. She just runs around the bases and let's everyone else celebrate.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #18590
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So, let's talk about that.

My daughter is about to commit to play softball in college. She's has been on both sides of this. As a fan of her and her teams, I have been on both sides of this.

Fast forward to this year. Same 2 teams, the score is 0-0 through 5 innings. In the bottom of the 6th inning, we hit a 2-run HR to take the lead. We end up scoring 8 runs in that inning. Those same parents who were cheering the year before were the ones posting on facebook the next day that the parents of our kids are classless because we were cheering too much.

It is all just sour grapes, man.

I also like how my opinion doesn't match yours, so you try to be all righteous and shit by saying it's wrong for me to refer to the losers of a game as the losers. You can't refute anything else I say so you nitpick and find something else for me to be wrong about.

No where in your example did you talk about how the players acted. You talked about the parents. You also gave the example about not asking the other team to run it up. No where has anyone said we shouldn’t have. So your anecdote really doesn’t apply to how our women were celebrating.

As for the losers comment if my kids won a game and my daughter called the other team losers I would be furious with her. Guess we just parent differently and that’s ok. I wish your daughter all the best in college. That’s pretty cool.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #18591
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Of course she's bothered by losing. You don't play games to lose. But she's never felt like the other team was wrong for winning 24-0 when they could have taken it easy and won 14-0.

In both of the examples I gave, she was the pitcher for her team. She's upset that her team lost 10-0 and as the pitcher she accepts the responsibility. She blames herself. She doesn't give a shit about how the other team or fans react. She only cares about how the result relates to herself.

My daughter is pretty humble on her own. That's just her personality. She doesn't celebrate her individual achievements. She doesn't bat flip or pump her fist, etc when she hits HRs. She just runs around the bases and let's everyone else celebrate.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I would be interested in her opinion about the US team's IMO excessive/poor taste celebration over the Thai team.

Its not the # of goals as we know goal differential help in the team's positioning.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #18592
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
No where in your example did you talk about how the players acted. You talked about the parents. You also gave the example about not asking the other team to run it up. No where has anyone said we shouldn’t have. So your anecdote really doesn’t apply to how our women were celebrating.

As for the losers comment if my kids won a game and my daughter called the other team losers I would be furious with her. Guess we just parent differently and that’s ok. I wish your daughter all the best in college. That’s pretty cool.

My use of the word losers is not how you're thinking. I'm just referencing the losers of whatever the game is. I am not calling them losers in general.

If the Pink Pixies lose a soccer game, they are the losers of the game. I'm not calling them losers in general.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #18593
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Sorry, should have been clearer. I would be interested in her opinion about the US team's IMO excessive/poor taste celebration over the Thai team.

Its not the # of goals as we know goal differential help in the team's positioning.

I would have to ask her but I am pretty sure she wouldn't find anything wrong with the score or the celebrating. She would likely said I don't care and I would never celebrate like that.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #18594
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I wish your daughter all the best in college. That’s pretty cool.

And thank you for this.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #18595
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So for you, there is no such thing as being a sore winner? You get to do whatever you want because you're winning and fuck the losers? That seems a slippery slope, and not really something I'd agree with or want my children to emulate. But they're pretty much grown now, so that die is cast.

This is a stupid argument. There is no absolute. I feel there is, at some point, a point at which aggressively celebrating every achievement over a beaten down, given up opponent, is excessive. Some don't. Fine. No one wins this argument, because no minds will be changed, so congratulations.

To me, there's a big difference between celebrating individual and team accomplishments and taunting or targeting an opponent.

And these celebrations didn't seem that over-the-top. It was just that they were winning by a lot. I don't believe the emotional well-being of the other team is that much different if the 12th goal is celebrated by an ordinary goal celebration v. a somber fist bump or whatever. I could see the latter being perceived as being a little condescending.

And maybe not in this situation, but complaining about celebration is just one of those tools than can be a part of knee-jerk emotional reactions aimed at bringing the winner down from their happy place. You see it all the time. One team wins, the other teams' fans want to complain about the refs, proclaim the game was fixed, call the other team dirty or classless, etc.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #18596
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Did you see the video I posted earlier? That was the 9th goal, you don't think that celebration was over the top?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #18597
molson
General Manager

I don't watch as much soccer as some people here, but world cup goals tend to be celebrated pretty enthusiastically, don't they? Would people have complained if this was goal #2 of the game? Do we think she would have been more subdued if the score was closer and that she was intending to taunt here?

It's not something I'd be comfortable doing, but I don't think that makes her wrong or a bad person. There's enough room in a worldwide competition of diverse teams and athletes for varied styles of celebrations.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #18598
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean, not to be that guy (which I'm totally being now), but don't we have a Soccer thread already?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #18599
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't watch as much soccer as some people here, but world cup goals tend to be celebrated pretty enthusiastically, don't they? Would people have complained if this was goal #2 of the game? Do we think she would have been more subdued if the score was closer and that she was intending to taunt here?

It's not something I'd be comfortable doing, but I don't think that makes her wrong or a bad person. There's enough room in a worldwide competition of diverse teams and athletes for varied styles of celebrations.

Is this an answer to Lathum? Did you watch the video he posted? It's not long.

The celebration in that video is very over the top for a nine goal lead (and from a seasoned veteran and team leader, to boot).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-12-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #18600
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Is this an answer to Lathum? Did you watch the video he posted? It's not long.

The celebration in that video is very over the top for a nine goal lead (and from a seasoned veteran and team leader, to boot).

Right, "for a 9 goal lead". The apparent problem is with the score at the time, rather than the celebration in a vacuum. I just don't think it matters. I don't see how the world is a better place today if she repressed her joy and nodded solemly after the goal. Some would have chosen to, which is fine too. I just don't think it's morally wrong to celebrare a world cup goal with her teammates, even if the team is really good.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 03:54 PM.