Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2004, 01:37 AM   #201
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Sorry, I meant they struck with the deal on SpikeTV (didn't mean it as bad, but as a great move, I am tired ). Really don't see Villeneuve going back to F1? I am curious, what is Le-Mans? Is that even more prestige then F1?

Don't get me wrong..... The Spike deal is a step in the right direction, but not the greatest thing. I wish that every race was on NBC or CBS, but with open-wheel racing in the crapper as it is, it's not going to happen. I think the deal with Spike will work out for both parties involved. The HDnet part of the deal is intersting as well..... Villeneuve has a shot for a ride with Williams next year in F-1, but it's not too common that someone takes a year off and is able to come back and be competitive..... I honestly believe that Villeneuve is done in F-1.... The Le-Mans race is a single endurance race that Villeneuve said he'd like to win, along with an F-1 championship and CART (ChampCar) Title......
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:15 AM   #202
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Layout of Seoul track unveiled

MARCH 9, 2004:
Reports from the USA suggest that this is the track layout that will be used for the visit of Champ Cars to South Korea in October.

Autoracing1.com reports that this 1.4 mile circuit will be laid out in Hangang Park in Seoul in time for the race on October 17, the week before the traditional Gold Coast event in Surfers Paradise, Australia.

Promoted by KMC (Korea Motorsports Center), the race is expected to be held until at least 2008. Hangang Park is on the banks of the River Hang and close to the World Cup football stadium.

An official announcement of the final track layout is expected soon. It is expected that in future years the track couldbe extended to around 2.0 miles.

This will be huge also.... although the track is small in length, there are many passing zones, which should lead to a good race...
Old 03-13-2004, 11:03 PM   #203
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gentlemen, Start Your Engines
Written by: Robin Miller
Indianapolis, IN – 3/13/2004

Tony George recently enlightened readers of The Indianapolis Star with the revelation that 33 cars "is only a number" and that if the traditional 11 rows of three isn't reached this May it's no big deal because quality out-ranks quantity anyway.

Oh yeah, he's also been thinking about shortening the field for some time.

In the aftermath of these preposterous pronouncements, three things immediately came to mind:

a) Publicity director Fred Nation, who crafts many of Tony's thoughts and talking points, had fallen into a deep coma while listening to his boss make a lunch-time speech and wasn't able to moniter The Star's interview.

b) Tony had obviously lost the last page of his notes.

c) The grandson of Tony Hulman really and truly just doesn't get it.

The man who sucked the life out of the Indianapolis 500 in 1996 by dividing open-wheel racing clearly has no conception of what made May so special, so intriguing and what making this race meant to a driver, a mechanic or an owner.

His lack of respect for tradition and history is only topped by his incredible ignorance and arrogance.

Think not? Let's review his legacy.

In 1996, he insulted every driver who ever busted his butt or lost his life trying to qualify at Indianapolis by guaranteeing 25 of the 33 starting spots for members of his "league."

In 1997, Nissan wasn't up to speed but instead of letting open competition rule, George desecrated another tradition by adding two cars and starting 35 in order to make sure Infiniti was represented. It took a minimum speed and it wasn't the fastest 33, just the politically correct 35. And that was after sending Scott Harrington on a late afternoon banzai where he crashed going three mph faster than he needed to but IRL officials neglected to let him in one "the deal."

In 1998, George reduced practice and qualifying (one weekend) because there weren't enough professional teams to run all the laps required to fill up two weeks of practice -- and two hours on ESPN every day.

In 2002, Barry Green went through an appeal process and, according to those inside the room, proved that Paul Tracy had passed Helio Castroneves before the yellow light came on and therefore won the Indy 500. A few weeks later George announced there could be no appeal because IRL vice president of operations Brian Barnhart's word was gospel. His explanation was cut short when he couldn't find the last page of his explanation.

Last May, for the first time in modern history, there was no bumping at Indy because as soon as the field reached 33 on Sunday at 4:30 p.m., qualifying was over. Jeff Ward had a car but the unwritten rule in Gasoline Alley called for no more attempts. So it didn't matter how fast you went, four laps was the only criteria. And another Indy tradition went down in flames.

Faced with the fact there may not be 30 cars this May (until last week's calamity in Champ Car) because the IRL has failed to generate enough interest after eight years, George has declared that 33 cars in nothing more than a nebulous number.

You know, kinda like 11 for football, 9 for baseball and 5 for basketball. Why not the Mudville 7? Or The Fab Three? Heck, just doctor up those old recordings and have Sid Collins saying: "The fastest 26 cars in the world come down for the flying start."

When George said he was uncomfortable with some of the quality in past races he showed again how little he appreciates the spirit of what helped make Indy such a national treasure.

If George thinks 33 is just a number with no meaning then maybe he should ask his good buddies Roger Penske and Al Unser Jr. how it felt not to be one of those 33 in 1995. Or Bobby Rahal, who missed the show in 1993. Better yet, ask Phil Krueger, Steve Chassey and Roger Rager how satisfying it was to qualify some ****box they also worked on.

Indy used to be about innovation, finding the right combination and putting everything on the line to make the show. It could be the defining moment in a driver's career. Now, because of George's vision, it's a spec race that only requires four laps at any speed and it can't even draw enough interest anymore to fill the field.

He predicted there was an ocean of car owners when he formed the IRL but it turns out there's not even a small pond. Before George drove a wedge into open wheel, Indy never had to be concerned about selling tickets, drawing crowds, a shortage of cars or a lack of atmosphere.

When Tony was handed the keys to the Speedway in 1989, longtime racing writer George Moore wondered aloud: "Now we'll see if this place (IMS) is bulletproof."

We all laughed. You can't screw up the Indy 500.

Well those of us who revered Indy aren't laughing anymore.

It's sad to see the continuing demise of this great event under George's misguided leadership and it's just as painful to know how little he appreciates Indy's history.

Gentlemen, start your engines. So what? It's only four words.

I'm loving it.....
Old 03-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #204
TLK
Pro Starter

well this is it..... for anyone that has been following the story, I think it hits the climax over the next seven days.... here's an interesting post from the AR1 message boards, from somebody who claims to be an insider.... take it with a grain of salt, we'll see how accurate this ends up...

Quote:
Rumor Recap? (post #1)

Although, I do not post to message boards regularly, I thought I would share a recap on some rumors. Dispel some, add some and bring it all into perspective as Monday approaches.

Rahal-Gone. Maybe as early as Monday. Not as big a hit as people think because Kevin has a trick or two up his sleeve. Michel and Gigante going with him.

RuSport-No problem here. Committed and not going anywhere.

Haas-This depends on Rahal for the MOST part. But this might be one of Kevin's tricks.

Paul Gentilozzi-This is the one that is not getting ANY play anywhere, but could blow up tomorrow. Who knows. Here it is-he is out. Not out of ChampCar, but out as part of the OWRS group. This weekend was spent behind closed doors trying to figure out how to do this cleanly. I think more will erupt on this in the next 24-48 hours.

The War-This is bigger than the bankruptcy mess. Penske, George and Co. have declared war. The goal-no Long Beach. I am surprised here too that this not getting more play. This is the battle royale that will decide the future, plain and simple. And in the IRL's eyes, this can not be decided by a judge. Just money. Tony, Penske and Honda are funding this battle. The goal, a few succesive "shock and awe" blows to create confusion and "excitement". End game-take 5 owner/car/team combinations within the next 10 days.

Car count- the quiet goal now is 16 at Long Beach.

Kevin-He is the LEADER of the OWRS group now. Should have been all along as an aside. Paul Gentilozzi is a non-factor as a result of wrangling that took place this weekend. This is now Kevin and Gerry's show. Oh, and Mario's too.

Did I say Mario? Yes. Mario Andretti is in "Effect" replacing Paul. Again, another good move. This will gain steam over the next 24-48 as well.

Odds-The perception within is that OWRS has an 80% chance of taking the flag at Long Beach even with defections from Haas or Rahal or both. How? It was touched on in other posts-$$$$. Yes, Kevin's money will come into play straight away. Again, the goal is 16 and it is very achievable with Kevin quietly making sure the teams can answer the bell. Privacy is a good thing in a mess like this.

Carp-He will be in a Forsythe seat. The initial goal was Rahal, but the Rahal decision is made. The good news though- he will take the flag at Long Beach.

Cancun-The IRL will be in the streets of Cancun in 05. Its done. This is temporary while a permanent course is constructed.

The OWRS approach-it is going to change dramatically over the next 24-48 hours. Better, HONEST, PR as a result of Kevin now calling the shots. The ability to eat a bit of crow and help us fill in the blanks will turn out to be the saving grace. The Paul G. days are over. Kevin and Gerry are calling the shots while relying on Mario to be the "ambassador".

The contracts-No promoter cares about 18. Plain and simple. If they get to 16, all will be forgiven. There is no concern over the contracts. Its the promoters call and they have made it.

The Saviour- Kevin. Plain and simple.

My credibility- NONE. I just ask that you read between the lines and report back about my accuracy by this time next week.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #205
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Who's Kevin again? Just curious, could IRL be charged with a lawsuit similar to one the NFL faced by the USFL?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #206
TLK
Pro Starter

Kevin Kalkohven, one of the three owners that purchased CART/ChampCar. I feel that he was kind of brought into the situation, not knowing what was involved. As time went on, and the purchase went through, he realized what he was up against in Tony George. Now, he's protecting his investment and will insure that this season goes as planned. He's the right man for the job, as he has more money then he knows what to do with....
Old 03-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #207
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Thanks King. Is he a car owner at all? How much is he worth, or where did he make or still make his dough?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:09 AM   #208
TLK
Pro Starter

Kalkohven owns the PKJ Racing team, which fields Jimmy Vasser and Roberto Gonzalez. He made his money in the telcom industry and got out while it was still profitable...... do a google search on him and you'll find many articles....

Last edited by TLK : 03-16-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:16 AM   #209
TLK
Pro Starter

I promise this will be a crazy week for open wheel racing..... there's so much stuff being reported, I have no idea what to believe. I feel confident that ChampCar will answer the bell at Long Beach with 18 cars, and if they can pull that off, they've defeated TG and his minions (Honda)..... I have it on good authority that there will be a "holy shit" announcement by the end of the week.... stay tuned....
Old 03-17-2004, 01:46 AM   #210
TLK
Pro Starter

everything I'm hearing is good for ChampCar...... Rahal will not jump to the IRL for for 04' ().... As many as four teams have stepped up and have said they will run an extra car to make make-up for Fernandez's leave....Also, Fernandez has said he wants to run the two Mexican races for ChampCar..... here's hoping they don't allow him to.....
Old 03-20-2004, 12:32 AM   #211
TLK
Pro Starter

Rahal did move his ChampCar team to the IRL, but Gigante and Michel Jourdain turned down his offer and stuck with ChampCar if nothing else, all the fence-sitters are gone..... Dale Coyne confirmed that he will run 2 cars this year, increasing the rumor that there will be more than 18 at Long Beach... only 31 days until the green flag

Last edited by TLK : 03-20-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #212
aej
n00b

From Pitpass.com

Dixon shines on F1 debut

26/03/2004

Jenson Button might have topped the timesheets at today's third, and final, day of testing at Paul Ricard, but it was reigning IRL Champion Scott Dixon who made everyone sit up and take notice.

The youngster, who spent his day getting used to the car and working on basic set-ups, was fourth quickest, posting a best time just 0.206s slower than his teammate Ralf Schumacher.

Climbing out of his car the youngster, who has been racing on ovals for the last two years, complained of stiff neck muscles: "I haven't turned right for a year or so!" he said with a grin.

"I've had a really enjoyable day," he added later. "And, in general, I'm pleased with how it went.

"Unfortunately, I had a problem with the gearbox this morning so my time in the car was limited. When the team fixed the problem I was happy with how it went at the end. I would have liked to have had a few more runs in the car as I think I could have gone quicker but I'm now looking forward to the next test in Barcelona."
Old 03-27-2004, 02:30 AM   #213
TLK
Pro Starter

Scott Dixon will never race in a Formula-1 event..... No inside information..... just a strong opinion.....
Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #214
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Scott Dixon will never race in a Formula-1 event..... No inside information..... just a strong opinion.....

IMO, it all depends on Ralf Schumacher.

If he stays with Williams, Dixon will never get a shot at F1, but if he leaves I think Dixon and Webber will be driving for Williams next season.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:11 AM   #215
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Why is he driving F1 cars anyway?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #216
TLK
Pro Starter

Dixon had a test with Williams to keep him happy. Chip Ganassi has a strong relationship with Williams, dating back to the Zanardi deal. Dixon would rather not be racing in the IRL, so he was promised a F-1 test, which is exactly what he got. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't see it mentioned in the earlier article but, Dixon was 3 mph off the speed of a normal F-1 test driver. In my opinion, their are about eight or nine better options for Williams out there...... I'd go as far as to say they'd be better off to bring JV back.....
Old 03-27-2004, 01:10 PM   #217
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dixon suffered a small gearbox glitch this morning, and had a new engine fitted for his afternoon runs. He suffered with his neck muscles (quipping: "I haven't turned right for a year or so!") and has promised to work on his fitness before his next test at Barcelona next month.

"The big thing was getting used to the speed on the car on these tyres," he added. "It is a strange feeling. Grooved tyres have totally different characteristics [to slicks]. The car is very much on the edge, but most of the time is very nimble. It feels nice to drive – it is a proper race car."

Dixon with the quote of the week......
Old 03-27-2004, 01:19 PM   #218
TLK
Pro Starter

I haven't been around enough to update all the team news that's going on.... but here's where CART stands with a month to go before Long Beach.....

Announced Cars & Drivers

Likely Rides

Possible Rides

Drivers in play

Old 03-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #219
aej
n00b

Quote:
I don't see it mentioned in the earlier article but, Dixon was 3 mph off the speed of a normal F-1 test driver.
...whatever that is. He was less than 2mph slower than Button's fastest time, less than a second, and faster than four other test drivers, three of whom have close to 150 GP starts between them. He was within 0.2sec of Schumacher in the other Williams. Testing times are pretty academic though with the variation in work being done by different teams and drivers in any one session.

Quote:
In my opinion, their are about eight or nine better options for Williams out there......
If he goes well at Barcelona as well, don't be surprised to see Dixon with a Williams test contract for '05, if only to keep him out of the reach of other teams.

Quote:
I'd go as far as to say they'd be better off to bring JV back.....
Much as I'd like to see it, that won't happen. There are plenty of better VFM younger drivers out there. Frank and Patrick are well known for spending their money on the cars not the drivers and even Willi Weber is talking down Ralf's price for next season to try and keep him at Williams.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #220
TLK
Pro Starter

My problem with the whole Dixon thing is that he doesn't deserve to even be mentioned for that ride. What has he done? Well he won IndyLights and is the defending IRL champion. The IRL races all ovals, while F-1 doesn't race ovals. Whe Dixon moved up after his IndyLights championship..... he sucked (for lack of a better word) in CART. With Chip Ganassi, who was a good CART team, he finished 8th..... not too impressive if you ask me. Based on the past year's racing in the US, the only person that deserves mention for F-1 is Sebastian Bourdias....

Last edited by TLK : 03-27-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #221
aej
n00b

Quote:
My problem with the whole Dixon thing is that he doesn't deserve to even be mentioned for that ride. What has he done? Well he won IndyLights and is the defending IRL champion. The IRL races all ovals, while F-1 doesn't race ovals. Whe Dixon moved up after his IndyLights championship..... he sucked (for lack of a better word) in CART. With Chip Ganassi, who was a good CART team, he finished 8th..... not too impressive if you ask me. Based on the past year's racing in the US, the only person that deserves mention for F-1 is Sebastian Bourdias....

What he's done and how good he is are, almost, entirely different factors. I'm not up on CART and IRL these days (or really since Mario was a lad in USAC!) but not everyone can make the switch, in either direction, with the same level of competitiveness. I'm neither pro- nor anti- Dixon, just interested in the way his Ricard performance has been talked up on this side of the pond. Williams don't usually give test drives to people they aren't serious about, unlike some of the cash-strapped teams at the other end of the grid. With Dixon, Rosberg Jnr. and Piquet Jnr., among others, in the pipeline and Pizzonia seemingly back to his pre-Jaguar form they may have a surplus on their hands in seasons to come.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:14 AM   #222
TLK
Pro Starter

:drunk speak:

I really don't like Dixon in that ride. I honestly don't think he can hang. Above mentioned were, Rosberg and Piquet.... both of which I'd have drive my car before Dixon... I also think that Pizzonia, Ricardo Sperafico, Marc Gene...... among others........deserve a shot before dickenson ( )

Last edited by TLK : 03-28-2004 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:59 AM   #223
TLK
Pro Starter

Code:
FULL 18 CAR FIELD CONFIRMED FOR 2004 SEASON INDIANAPOLIS (April 8, 2004) – Fulfilling the promises made throughout the 2004 preseason by Champ Car World Series co-owners Paul Gentilozzi, Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe, the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford announced Wednesday that it had a full field of 18 cars slated for a full season of competition in 2004. Veteran Champ Car team owner Derrick Walker announced Thursday that he would be fielding a Ford-Cosworth/Reynard/Bridgestone for the full 2004 Champ Car World Series season, bringing the number of confirmed cars to 18. Walker will be running Champ Cars for the 14th season with the team coming back after a strong 2003 campaign that was its best year since 1999. “We have always maintained that we would have a full field for 2004 and men like Derrick Walker, Carl Haas, Eric Bachelart, Dale Coyne, Carl Russo and the entire Herdez ownership group have demonstrated their commitment to building the best open-wheel racing series possible,” said Gentilozzi. “The entire Champ Car community has done an incredible amount of work in getting to this point and we’re confident that the 2004 season will be a tremendous success.” The additional car for Walker – whose driver and sponsor lineup will be announced shortly – strengthens an already talented driver lineup in 2004. The current driver roster includes two former Champ Car titlewinners, three FIA International F3000 champions, two Toyota Atlantic champions and eight drivers that have won Champ Car races. Eight of the last year’s top 10 in the Champ Car standings are returning, accounting for 90 percent of the race laps led a season ago. To date, the 2004 driver lineup has accounted for 53 Champ Car victories, 49 poles and 150 podium finishes. “Our fans will be rewarded for their unwavering support with a driver lineup that will be far stronger than anyone has anticipated,” Kalkhoven said. “Not only do we have proven stars like Paul Tracy, Jimmy Vasser and Bruno Junqueira, but the younger drivers have proven themselves in Formula 1, F3000 and Toyota Atlantics. Justin Wilson, A.J. Allmendinger and Sebastien Bourdais are the next crop of Champ Car superstars and fans will enjoy watching them establish their own legacies in our series.” “We are very pleased to have put a full field of cars together for 2004,” said Forsythe. “There have been so many entities that have been instrumental in getting us to this point. Our corporate partners, sponsors, teams, promoters, the Champ Car staff and the fans have worked very hard and we will give them a series to be proud of in 2004 and beyond.” The 2004 season will open April 18 with the 30th anniversary of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Champ Car fans can follow all the action on Spike TV and HDNet, and can keep up to date with all of the happenings surrounding the Long Beach event by visiting www.champcarworldseries.com.

I hope to have a full 18 car preview to the season up sometime Sunday..... I'm happy as hell that I have a race to look forward to on the 18th.... Plaese tune into SpikeTV or HDTV and watch the race, you will enjoy it.....
Old 04-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #224
Craptacular
College Starter

edit: In case anyone else doesn't want to scroll to read it in TLK's post.

FULL 18 CAR FIELD CONFIRMED FOR 2004 SEASON

INDIANAPOLIS (April 8, 2004) – Fulfilling the promises made throughout the 2004 preseason by Champ Car World Series co-owners Paul Gentilozzi, Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe, the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford announced Wednesday that it had a full field of 18 cars slated for a full season of competition in 2004.

Veteran Champ Car team owner Derrick Walker announced Thursday that he would be fielding a Ford-Cosworth/Reynard/Bridgestone for the full 2004 Champ Car World Series season, bringing the number of confirmed cars to 18. Walker will be running Champ Cars for the 14th season with the team coming back after a strong 2003 campaign that was its best year since 1999.

“We have always maintained that we would have a full field for 2004 and men like Derrick Walker, Carl Haas, Eric Bachelart, Dale Coyne, Carl Russo and the entire Herdez ownership group have demonstrated their commitment to building the best open-wheel racing series possible,” said Gentilozzi. “The entire Champ Car community has done an incredible amount of work in getting to this point and we’re confident that the 2004 season will be a tremendous success.”

The additional car for Walker – whose driver and sponsor lineup will be announced shortly – strengthens an already talented driver lineup in 2004. The current driver roster includes two former Champ Car titlewinners, three FIA International F3000 champions, two Toyota Atlantic champions and eight drivers that have won Champ Car races. Eight of the last year’s top 10 in the Champ Car standings are returning, accounting for 90 percent of the race laps led a season ago. To date, the 2004 driver lineup has accounted for 53 Champ Car victories, 49 poles and 150 podium finishes.

“Our fans will be rewarded for their unwavering support with a driver lineup that will be far stronger than anyone has anticipated,” Kalkhoven said. “Not only do we have proven stars like Paul Tracy, Jimmy Vasser and Bruno Junqueira, but the younger drivers have proven themselves in Formula 1, F3000 and Toyota Atlantics. Justin Wilson, A.J. Allmendinger and Sebastien Bourdais are the next crop of Champ Car superstars and fans will enjoy watching them establish their own legacies in our series.”

“We are very pleased to have put a full field of cars together for 2004,” said Forsythe. “There have been so many entities that have been instrumental in getting us to this point. Our corporate partners, sponsors, teams, promoters, the Champ Car staff and the fans have worked very hard and we will give them a series to be proud of in 2004 and beyond.”

The 2004 season will open April 18 with the 30th anniversary of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Champ Car fans can follow all the action on Spike TV and HDNet, and can keep up to date with all of the happenings surrounding the Long Beach event by visiting www.champcarworldseries.com.

Last edited by Craptacular : 04-09-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:19 PM   #225
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Indianapolis, IN – The residents of Manhattan awoke to something new today, the sound of an 750 horsepower Champ Car, with Herdez driver Ryan Hunter-Reay behind the wheel.

Preparing for the 2004 Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford, Champ Car’s television partner, SPIKE TV filmed three commercials over five hours this morning in Times Square. The streets were blocked and the cameras were rolling as Hunter-Reay screamed through America’s most famous street, “This is definitely what they call a once in a lifetime experience,” exclaimed Champ Car’s most recent race winner. “This is my first time in New York City. I arrived last night and my eyes were big, but to be driving a Champ Car down Times Square this morning with hundreds of people smiling and cheering us on, it was unbelievable.”

Spike TV is the new home of Champ Car and Hunter-Reay is impressed, “what was accomplished today is an example of the dedication and expertise the Spike crew and Adam Friedman have committed to Champ Car. The fans, sponsors, teams and drivers; we are all in for a treat, the 2004 season kicked off today at the Crossroads of America.”

The pre-season preparations are finished and the Herdez crew is ready, Ryan Hunter-Reay and his teammate Mario Dominguez will take the green flag for the first time this year next week during round one of the 2004 Champ Car World Series at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. For more information visit www.TeamHerdez.com.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #226
Ryan S
Quarterback

In other news, MotorsTV will be showing Champ Car live in the UK this year.

Woohoo! No more Eurosport, and their habit of preempting Champ Car to show badminton or marathon running. I only saw about 3 or 4 races last year because of Eurosports terrible scheduling.

Last edited by Ryan S : 04-11-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:06 AM   #227
TLK
Pro Starter

Well, it's race weekend. I've been meaning to do a write-up of the full field but have been working 12 hour days, making it about impossible. I'll try to get some sort of a preview up tonight.....
Old 04-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #228
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What time is the race? I cant wait.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:19 PM   #229
TLK
Pro Starter

4:00 PM EST on Spike.... today
Old 04-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #230
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
4:00 PM EST on Spike.... today

Anyone give a preview of Long Beach and the field for this year?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #231
TLK
Pro Starter

Here we go............
Old 04-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #232
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Damn, I missed the end of the race (second half).
Old 04-20-2004, 04:52 AM   #233
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Champ exec: Las Vegas announcement is close
By Brian Hilderbrand

LAS VEGAS SUN

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Champ Car World Series co-owner Paul Gentilozzi said Sunday the series is "real close" to announcing a season-ending race in Las Vegas in November.

Gentilozzi said he hoped to make an announcement concerning the race "within two weeks."

Gentilozzi, however, would not say where the open-wheel racing series is looking at staging a race, only that it would not be at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

"If we race in Vegas, it wouldn't be an oval -- I promise you that," Gentilozzi said after Sunday's Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

It is believed that the series has been in talks with the Mandalay Bay hotel-casino about holding a race on its property, but Gentilozzi would neither confirm nor deny that.

"We have (identified a site), but I couldn't say (where it is)," Gentilozzi said. "We have a couple options, actually, and we're going to have to pick something real soon.

"We're a little tight on time but if it doesn't happen this fall, certainly it'll happen in the spring -- but the weather is pretty good the end of November there," Gentilozzi said.

"It takes four months to promote a race properly and to do the proper engineering. The way we're going to do this event, it needs to be done right -- we don't want to make a mistake."

The 2004 Champ Car schedule has an open date in November for a season finale and Gentilozzi said Las Vegas would be an ideal site for the series to end its season and hold its awards banquet.

"Vegas is a special place," he said. "There were a lot of people from Vegas here today, looking at the Long Beach tradition, and we're hoping to push something forward there real quick."

The Champ Car series (known then as CART) last raced in Las Vegas in 1983 and 1984 on a modified oval in a parking lot at Caesars Palace. The Formula One World Championship also raced twice on the Caesars Palace circuit in '81 and '82.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/s.../516711684.html

Sounds good.....
Old 04-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #234
TLK
Pro Starter

It was confirmed today that ChampCar would be racing in Long Beach in 2005, avoiding a strong push from the IRL to take the race over...... chalk up another win for the good guys

[edit]
For the record the Long Beach ChampCar race drew more than the first three IRL races combined..... I ask... how is the IRL winning this war?

Last edited by TLK : 04-30-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #235
TLK
Pro Starter

It's May folks..... if you're the religious type..... say a prayer for all of the IRL drivers in Indy this month.....
Old 05-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #236
TLK
Pro Starter

ESPN.com news services

Two teams who have competed in the Indy Racing League since it began eight years ago cannot afford to race in this month's Indianapolis 500, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Those teams -- PDM Racing and Hemelgarn Racing -- have not found sponsors or raced yet this season, but news that they will not even run at Indy makes filling a 33-car field more difficult. Neither team has missed the Indy 500 since the IRL's inception.

According to the Star, PDM Racing has closed up shop and is for sale. The team launched IRL star Sam Hornish Jr.'s career eight years ago.

As for Hemelgarn, the newspaper reported the 1996 Indy 500-winning team (with Buddy Lazier) is without sponsor and looking at alternatives that could include the rival Champ Car series. (Added in by TLK: Please no.... stay away Mr. Hemelgarn, even though from what I hear, it will happen)

Buddy Lazier won the 1996 Indy 500 with Hemelgarn Racing; they also won the IRL title in 2000.

"If you can't do Indy, it's really difficult to fill in just for the other IRL races," Hemelgarn general manager Lee Kunzman said. "We're in the racing business, so if I want to keep my (crew), I've got to find a place for them to race.

"What I'm looking for is survival."

Those who contend the cost to run a car in the IRL has gone too high will see this as another example of a smaller race team being priced out of competition. While engine lease costs are not divulged by the league or its engine manufacturers, media reports have put the cost anywhere between $350,000 and $500,000 for one race.

Lazier won the 2000 IRL season championship with Hemelgarn, but was released at last season's end and is still seeking a ride for the 500. Lazier has four top five finishes in the Indy 500 for the highest average finish in the race since the IRL formed.

Hemelgarn Racing, which formed in 1984, will continue to run driver Paul Dana in the IRL's Infiniti Pro Series, according to the Star.

Last edited by TLK : 05-06-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:25 AM   #237
TLK
Pro Starter

nice vision Tony.....
Old 05-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #238
TLK
Pro Starter

Too good not to post...... credit goes to what's left of crapwagon.com

Last edited by TLK : 05-06-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #239
TLK
Pro Starter

Fisher Gives Lesson To Morning Audience

More About Sarah Fisher

Sarah Fisher Bio :: Sarah Fisher 2004 Stats :: Sarah Fisher Photos

By indyracing.com Staff
indyracing.com

Monday May 03, 2004

Sarah Fisher gave an enthusiastic Charles Gibson, co-host of ABC-TV's "Good Morning America," an overview of an IRL IndyCar® Series car during a segment on the show on May 3.

Fisher, the third woman to compete in the Indianapolis 500, was precluded from giving Gibson a ride in the IRL Experience gas-powered two-seater on the streets of Manhattan because of a persistent rain. But the precipitation didn't dampen Gibson's enthusiasm.

"What does it feel like going 220 mph?" was one of Gibson's many questions during the segment in front of the ABC-TV studios.

"It's a lot faster than you think," said Fisher, who will open practice for the 88th Indianapolis 500 on May 9 and attempt to qualify for her fifth 500-Mile Race on May 15-16 in the No. 39 Bryant Heating & Cooling Dallara/Toyota/Firestone she will drive for Kelley Racing.

"What sensation would I feel going around a track at 220 mph?" Gibson said.

"It's like a passenger plane when it takes off; that's what you feel," said Fisher, who drove the two-seater around the block a few times before the rain began.

Gibson, holding an umbrella over himself and Fisher, said: "Let's just put the top up."

The appearance was one of several for Fisher and IndyCar Series drivers Scott Sharp and Dan Wheldon in New York on May 3-4. Sharp and Wheldon will be interviewed on ESPN2’s “Cold Pizza” (7-9 a.m. EDT) and will be guests at a luncheon from noon-2 p.m. (EDT) at the ESPN Zone on Times Square on May 4.

Other IndyCar Series drivers also will be making appearances across the country on May 3 and 4. Adrian Fernandez and Bryan Herta will be guests at a luncheon at the ESPN Zone in Anaheim, Calif., on May 3. A.J. Foyt IV and Darren Manning will be guests at a luncheon at the ESPN Zone in Chicago on May 4.

Fisher’s first two 500-Mile Race starts were with Walker Racing, in 2000 and 2001. Each race she finished 31st. In 2002, she drove for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing and qualified ninth at 229.439 mph, a record for a woman at the Speedway. She wound up 24th despite completing 196 laps. Last year, again with Dreyer & Reinbold, she placed 31st.

“There are only a couple of drivers who are in that arena hired in good quality, first-class stuff,” Fisher said. “And that makes me so happy to be hired on at Kelley (Racing).

“It’s really exciting to be part of a team that has a reputation of doing well at the Speedway. Even though it’s only one race for right now, I’m going to make the best of that one race as I possibly can.”

anyone else find it funny that the IRL brings out it's two-seater in New York..... about a week or so after ChampCar did the same thing? go figure....
Old 05-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #240
Dutch
"Dutch"

Open Wheel racing is dead, or at least in hybernation. That Long Beach Grand Prix was horrible, the racers were horrible, the history was shot and destroyed.

As much as all the "true" racing enthusiasts like to bash Tony George, they forgot one thing. The Indianapolis 500 made open wheel racing.

Like I've said, until a re-unification or one of the leagues completely folding, open wheel racing in America will continue to be dead.

We can pray and wish for the IRL to fold at this point all we want, but the reality now is that the best chance open wheel racing had was when CART was on the ropes.

That chance was blown, and the re-unification process will be drug out until absolutely nobody cares anymore.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 PM   #241
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
GORDON DROPS IN AT WILLIAMS
Last Updated: Tuesday, 11 May , 2004, 15:59

NASCAR star Jeff Gordon attended the Spanish GP as speculation grows over Williams’ 2005 driver line-up.

Gordon tested a Williams F1 car last year in a publicity stunt that also saw Juan Pablo Montoya drive a NASCAR racer.

Although he has said that he is too old for F1, this has not stopped speculation that he would jump at the chance if offered a top drive.

Gordon said: "I have had more opportunities to go to F1 in the last three years than I had when it was more realistic.

“Anybody who is a competitive driver feels we could do the job. That confidence is what makes us winners.

“If I got an offer from Ferrari or Williams I would have to think really hard. It would take a great deal of dedication.

“It would involve moving from the US, and a life change with totally different work-out and training and testing. It would involve learning the tracks, the competitors, the cars and so on.

“Maybe a 21 year old guy would be willing to do it but I am not so sure for a guy more towards the end of his career.

“Driving the Williams-BMW at Indianapolis was the thrill of a lifetime and I must admit that I was a bit frustrated after that because the cars are incredible. They do all the things I want my car to do in NASCAR!"

Gordon’s hopes of an offer from Ferrari are practically non-existent but, with two drives likely to be available at Williams next year, there is a slim possibility that the team might try to pull off a real coup and sign him up.

It would be a brilliant marketing move for the team and for the sport in general and could open the way to new sponsors across the United States.

However, such a deal would be fraught with risk for both driver and team, making it a remote possibility at the very best.

Williams are far more likely to opt for someone with an established F1 pedigree such as Mark Webber.

If they decide to take a risk on an untested driver, they are more likely to opt for IRL champion Scott Dixon, who tested for them twice earlier this year.

This would be huge for F-1 in America. I hear Williams may throw as much as $75 million his way.... will be interesting to see if he bites...
Old 05-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #242
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Open Wheel racing is dead, or at least in hybernation. That Long Beach Grand Prix was horrible, the racers were horrible, the history was shot and destroyed.

I agree with you the Long Beach was bad....... but the Monterry race was much better today and we'll have a hell of a points battle on our hands.... don't judge a whole fromula on one race......
Old 05-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #243
TLK
Pro Starter

oh and the Indy 500 had no bumping today..... 33 cars and nobody else..... I can't wait to see the ratings from the 500 next week.....
Old 05-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #244
General Mike
Pro Starter

Bump for the Indy 500 today...
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #245
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Bump for the Indy 500 today...

why?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #246
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i never even read this thread, but even 3 years later, remember the title.

so, bump!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #247
FishFan
College Prospect

IRL 1, Champ Car Series 0

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0107/802220517
FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #248
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This thread makes me a little sad