Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
kingazzal
n00b

Practise squad

we need practise squads in this game, would be awesome

kingazzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
tzach
High School JV

I don't see the need, but would be happy to be convinced otherwise. there's a large pool of unsigned FAs at all times that you could tap into.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
I don't see the need, but would be happy to be convinced otherwise. there's a large pool of unsigned FAs at all times that you could tap into.

In the practice squad players are supposed to keep developing. However they can be poached by another teams.
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
thefatcat
n00b

I think it's a great idea especially for MP leagues
thefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
kingazzal
n00b

I believe it will make roster spots more valuable while doing tthe depth chart.

wouldnt be too hard to implement, just add 10 more spots on rroster and deactivate to practice squad. with a button next to deactivate and injured reserve
Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingazzal View Post
I believe it will make roster spots more valuable while doing tthe depth chart.

wouldnt be too hard to implement, just add 10 more spots on rroster and deactivate to practice squad. with a button next to deactivate and injured reserve

You would also have to add in logic for signing players off of others practice squads. By rule they would have to go on the other teams 53-man roster. Coding this up for the AI might be a little trickier...though probably not too bad. I believe there are also rules as to who can and who cannot be on a practice squad. In addition to put players on a practice squad they have to first be released, exposed to all teams via FA, and then resigned. You cannot just take a player on your active 53 and put them directly to the practice squad.

Last edited by redfox000 : 11-07-2017 at 07:42 AM.
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
garion333
High School Varsity

I'd much rather we get compensatory picks than bothering with a practice squad with players that can be claimed. The practice squad would mean we're required to do mid week sims every week to process the movements. No fun.

But compensatory picks happens in the offseason and wouldn't slow things down outside of adding more picks to the draft.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
tzach
High School JV

definitely.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
In the practice squad players are supposed to keep developing. However they can be poached by another teams.

hi shark, i appreciate the concept of a PS in the real NFL, but again I don't see the need for it in FOF based on how players develop. players are not developing, or developing very slowly, if they don't play -- just leave a promising rookie inactive for 4 years and see what happens. Game wise, I just don't see the difference of having players attached to teams in a PS way versus having the UFAs available as a large pool.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:16 AM   #10
Squirrel
Mascot

Amen on comp picks although good luck playing MP FOF against some of the elite drafters if they could get them...easy to see how it could get out of hand

Last edited by Squirrel : 11-09-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
bluewave
n00b

I absolutely support implementing practice squads. Even just a small 5-man practice squad implementation designated for players with 2 or less years of experience. There's always draft picks that are rated low that I'd like to develop.

Would also like to have all 60 players active during preseason, no reason to be limited with only 46 actives. Just my opinion though.
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
sirotka33
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
Would also like to have all 60 players active during preseason, no reason to be limited with only 46 actives. Just my opinion though.

This one is the most glaring omission that would be a hugely welcomed change for me.
sirotka33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
kingazzal
n00b

Yeah that annoys me i wish i could have 60 players all the way through pre season, and goes back to 46 players before week 1

Would make my cuts better
Old 11-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #14
redfox000
Mascot

I agree on the preseason 60 player thing as well.

Last edited by redfox000 : 11-17-2017 at 06:36 AM.
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #15
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Amen on comp picks although good luck playing MP FOF against some of the elite drafters if they could get them...easy to see how it could get out of hand

There would have to be a limit. Maybe even as simple as one comp pick. The more quality you lose in FA, the higher your pick.

That might split the difference better than teams getting five+ extra picks.

The problem is the AI would probably be horribly outgunned at all times because they wouldn't get many comp picks. I don't mean just the sp AI, but also the mp AI who is handling a team.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #16
tzach
High School JV

I agree with squirrel and garion that adding comp picks could be problematic -- because I think it's still easier to draft in FOF than in the real NFL. this could lead to good drafters effectively converting late round picks and UFAs into 3rd/4th rounders consistently.

the current AI make it even easier to exploit comp picks, so it would need to be significantly revamped indeed.