Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

AGEOD's next game - Ancient Rome

Just got an email - hadn't realized what was in development.

AGEOD's newest game is an Ancient Roman game...primarily set between 1st century BC and 3rd century AD and the Roman Civil Wars, but expansions will doubtless bring in more empire-building scenarios.

This is my favorite period of history, and where I would have gotten a PhD had I gone that route, so I'm now officially geeked out for this. Need to preorder it for myself.

pre-order Alea Jacta Est (base version) - AGEOD.com

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-16-2012 at 10:56 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

So we've got Total War Rome II and Crusader Kings II Rome and now this. Nothing like playing follow the leader to beat the shit out of each other in sales!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
So we've got Total War Rome II and Crusader Kings II Rome and now this. Nothing like playing follow the leader to beat the shit out of each other in sales!

Different sorts of games though. AGEOD is more hex-based wargame, TW RII is more battle-fighting and CKII is going to be a CK-dynastyesque game.

I'll end up buying them all I'm sure.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

And actually it looks like this is the "Core" game for planned future "Ancient Wars" games that will eventually include all the wars of Rome as well as other ancient conflicts, according to the press release.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I've never heard of this company somehow, but they look like the type of games I would enjoy. How is the civil war game?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I've never heard of this company somehow, but they look like the type of games I would enjoy. How is the civil war game?

A little easy against the AI, but I really like it. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but it will pay off IMO.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A little easy against the AI, but I really like it. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but it will pay off IMO.

I second what JPhillips said. Rollicking good time.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Rome Total War II? Hadn't heard about that yet. Pretty sure that will turn into a "buy from Steam after it's been out a year and is fully patched for $20" since I'll be in no hurry.

I'll have to check out the AGEOD games. Though a weakness of mine is to buy strategy\war games that I really don't have time to play.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

They are good games, but do require a good deal of time. I'm looking forward to this one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

On CK2 Rome, I thought this was still post empire and dealing mostly with the Eastern Roman Empire(Byzantium). Am I right on that?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On CK2 Rome, I thought this was still post empire and dealing mostly with the Eastern Roman Empire(Byzantium). Am I right on that?

I believe that will be the case - but I'm sure the modding community will take care of that too.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ended up getting the pre-order in. If you pre-order (before it's released on the 21st) you get to play it starting on the 19th and you get a bonus "Revolt of Spartacus" scenario.

You also get to DL and load up the game and look around early. I DLed and looked around - regardless of how many different scenarios they end up building onto this map and in the Ancient World (they've announced they want to do a lot) the map is HUGE and covers British Isles to the Middle East (with off-map boxes for Parthia, Persia) and northeast to the Ural mountains. So there's massive scope for things to be done to this.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've never heard of these guys before, but the Great Invasions game looks right up my alley. Can someone please explain how the gameplay works, I'm having a hard time visualising it. From what I gather you don't control a nation as such, but a ethnic group/religion or something? And it encourages you to play historically rather than 'randomly' ala EU/CK... so, is it like a replay sim or something?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:

Yes, it's just a DLC called Legacy of Rome that deals with fleshing out the Byzantines. They haven't changed the time period or anything, so I'd hardly compare it to Rome: Total War or this game.

And I'm not sure how long it will take Paradox to make a sequel to EU: Rome, though I hope they do it fairly soon after EU IV.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
saldana
Pro Starter

never heard of these before either, but love this kind of game, are there demos anywhere that i could try out before i buy it (not like 20 bucks is alot of money)

edit: never mind, found one for the civil war game

Last edited by saldana : 09-18-2012 at 09:08 AM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
never heard of these before either, but love this kind of game, are there demos anywhere that i could try out before i buy it (not like 20 bucks is alot of money)

edit: never mind, found one for the civil war game

That'll give you a solid idea of how all the games play.

Reminds me too that I need to reinstall the Civil War game on this rig and have at it again. I had some wildly successful wins as the South.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

Considering the game was $9.95 I just grabbed Great Invasions anyhow. I started up a time period listed as "Tutorial", which it certainly wasn't. I had no idea what to do. Worked out how to move troops into a territory and get my butt handed to me, and that was it. Will have to check if there was a manual included in the download...
Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

For an Ancient History geek I never got deep enough into this. Need to remedy that - note to self.