Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Looking for Fantasy Football keeper league rules

Some guys at my office and I are starting a fantasy football keeper league this season. We have all been in leagues of various types, but no one has really run one.

I figure that as we start to hash out rules, it would be helpful to hear from you guys on what has worked and not worked in the past. For leagues that you have liked, what scoring system do you use? What keeper rules make sense? What are some rules that seem OK on the surface, but end up not really being good in the long run?

What are some of the issues that we should be discussing as we hash out our rules?

Thanks.

(FWIW, this isn't a group where I think that we will need too many rules to keep folks from cheating or cheesing. I'm really looking more for things like "here's the most fun way to do keepers that my league has found.")

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I would try to limit the number of RBs that a team could keep. Most fantasy football leagues that I've been in RBs rule the league and if you get a few teams that basically control all the good RBs, the other teams may feel like they don't have a chance.

The last keeper league I was in you could keep 3 RBs so, going into the draft you were basically drafting rookies and backups at the RB position and the rest of the draft was just drafting kickers and defenses. Not much fun. You want the draft to have a point beyond picking up rookies and fillers.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 07-21-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Travis
Pro Rookie

One rule we use in a couple leagues I'm in is an extra keeper.

Basically you can keep up to 3 guys from your year end roster, but if you make a trade in the offseason you can then keep up to 4 players (so long as at least 1 of those players is acquired in said fashion). In the end all 4 of your keepers could be from trades or just the 1 if you so choose.

We've found that it helps keep owners interested in the off season and promotes interaction which is good for us as the group in these leagues weren't from one group of friends before hand so it's helped us to get to know one and other.

That said, if you're just getting started, could be worth looking at a dynasty style setup rather than just keepers depending on the owners in your league. I've never gotten into a league like that but would like to give one a shot some where along the way.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
bighouserulez
H.S. Freshman Team

I have a 12 team league that i have had since 1994 and we have a keeper policy that seems to work.

Any player drafted the year before in the first three rounds can be kept as a first round keeper the next year. Even if the player gets traded or dropped and added onto another team they still count as a 1st round keeper.

Any other player drafted on a roster can be kept as a third round keeper. This can be saved with the first round keeper. Last year, Kurt Warner was drafted in the 12th round and had a monster year and is being kept as a 3rd round pick.

The other option cannot be used with the third round keeper. If you were lucky enough to get a player that went undrafted and is worth keeping you can keep him as a 4th rounder. Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton both were terrific pick ups and their respected teams are keeping them.

So you could have a 1st and 3rd or 1st and 4th or no keepers or just a 1st, 3rd, or 4th.

It works well for us. I hope this helps.

GML is a league that is you as a GM and a GM only
http://www.fof-gml.com/forum/register.php?do=addmember

vNFL and House have the forum that shares knowledge and asks for players to constantly challenge thinking in fof.
http://www.bearsruletheworld.com/vnfl/
bighouserulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

My main keeper league keeps a starting lineup...1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF/ST from year to year. Also, on draft day, you can not draft more than two times the number of starting players at any one position. So, you can't draft 8 RBs, you can only draft 2 to give you a total of 4.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

In your league, can you keep an additional guy if you trade for a pick in a respective round?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Not sure if you are talking to me, Mustang, but if you are, we don't associate keepers with picks. So, draft day, has worst to first picking for 8 rounds regardless of who kept who and when they were drafted. (not sure if that's what you were asking)

With that said, you can trade for another RB or two during the draft, so long as you don't draft more than 2 RBs yourself.

EDIT: So, if I were to trade my 4th RB to you for a draft pick or two, I wouldn't be able to draft another RB because I've already used up my 2 RB picks.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 07-21-2009 at 05:21 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks for the help. I really like the idea of limiting keepers by position so as to prevent hording. I don't know if that would have occured to me or not.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

My league keeps all players, both on offense and defense. It works really well. Our drafts are still fun but only involve the rookies so they dont run into huge amounts of time.

This format makes you think long term

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 07-22-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote