Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #51
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
For the life of me, I will never understand the appeal of these zombie games.

And that is why you fail...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #52
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
For the life of me, I will never understand the appeal of these zombie games.

This. I probably put 20 hours into left for dead and was bored out of my mind.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #53
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Guy from Destructoid saw gameplay footage of Dead Island and described it as:

"Imagine Borderlands set on the Just Cause 2 island with the Left 4 Dead style of zombies, featuring a quest system similar to Fallout 3 and the weapons system of Dead Rising 2. Blend all of that together, and you get Dead Island; or, as Deep Silver likes to refer to it, a "first-person zombie slasher action RPG."
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Guy from Destructoid saw gameplay footage of Dead Island and described it as:

"Imagine Borderlands set on the Just Cause 2 island with the Left 4 Dead style of zombies, featuring a quest system similar to Fallout 3 and the weapons system of Dead Rising 2. Blend all of that together, and you get Dead Island; or, as Deep Silver likes to refer to it, a "first-person zombie slasher action RPG."

Sounds like a good combination of elements to me.

I loved the trailer. Amazing stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I love how folks get excited over trailers that show zero gameplay, much like folks go for hardcore debates over gameplay issues based on a freakin' static screenshot, or criticize graphics in a screenshot without realising that the motion of a playing game completely changes the look.

It may be a cool short movie, granted, but it tells you nothing about the game except that zombies are involved.

I didn't shoot a load all over my computer screen, but I did read the write up on IGN and it was very positive about what the game could be.

It's just a cool trailer... and I hope the game delivers.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #56
mckerney
Coordinator

Probably not a day one buy for me, but I'll definitely look to get this once it goes on sale. I've really been enjoying Telltale's Back to the Future adventure game.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #57
SnowMan
High School Varsity

So, The Show vs 2K11..any thoughts? 2K11 looks pretty nice from what I've seen.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #58
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post

Probably The Show. Unless 2k11 has made a major improvement it's not worth the time. I thought MLB 2k10 was terrible, not giving a control option other than the gestures system was inexcusable.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post

2K has to prove they can even put out an above average game before that happens. The Show on a bad year is above average IMO.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #60
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

the 2k series has been steadily improving every year imo. although 2k9 was a disaster, 2k10 was a huge improvement and I thought a pretty good game. I expect 2k11 to be another leap, and those with the 360, at least should be a decent game of baseball.

but yea on the ps3 the show is still king.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #61
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm going to wait before buying a baseball game. I thought The Show was pretty shitty last year and unplayable in the modes I like.

I really hope the fix the RTTS closer problems. I'd love to be one.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #62
RainMaker
General Manager

-The problem with games after movies/shows is that often times the licensing fees eat up a good percent of the budget. We rarely get good ones so it's one of those situation where I'l wait and see.

- Dead Island sounds like it's right up my alley.

- I pre-ordered Homefront. Hoping it can be close to what Bad Company 2 is in terms of multiplayer. If not, it seems like an interesting story mode that I'll play through and then sell.

- Is anyone getting Duke Nukem?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #63
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm going to wait before buying a baseball game. I thought The Show was pretty shitty last year and unplayable in the modes I like.

I really hope the fix the RTTS closer problems. I'd love to be one.

I heard this, too. Did they fix the multiplayer problems last year? I had '09 and you couldn't play online due to the lag.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #64
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

So, apparently if you get Dragon Age 2 used, you won't be able to change your appearance, because you only get "The Mirror of Transformation" if you buy it new.

I don't care much about changing my appearance, but it's sort of lame.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In the interest of full disclosure, I went to the Pokemon mall tour since it was in Indy yesterday and, apparently the franchise is still popular- the traffic, parking, and crowds at the mall were as bad as they were the week before Christmas. It was absolutely crazy.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #66
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Atlus has a DS RPG coming out on Tuesday that looks pretty good. http://www.atlus.com/radianthistoria/

Apparently it's an old-school type game, and drew comparisons to the older (more fun) Final Fantasy games and ChronoTrigger.

I picked up Dragon Quest VI yesterday but am hesitant to start it, knowing I'll be playing Pokemon in about a month.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #67
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I picked up Dragon Quest VI yesterday but am hesitant to start it, knowing I'll be playing Pokemon in about a month.

Speaking of Dragon Quest. This article was in the local paper this week.

Lansing man is ultimate Dragon Quest fan | Lansing State Journal | lansingstatejournal.com
Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

tk- Same with me and DQ6- picked it up this week, not sure if I want to start it.

Also, if you haven't been checking out the deals KMart is running lately with new games, you're doing yourself a disservice. They have a new rewards program and they're putting out massive bonuses for buying stuff the week it comes out. For instance, I picked up DQ6 and will get $15 off a future purchase. Marvel vs Capcom 3 last wek was $25. This week, Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 are $20. It's a great opportunity to chain rewards and save pretty big. For instance, I'll take the $15 from DQ6 and probably get Pokemon for $20 and then turn around with whatever bonus they give there for the next game. They're still KMart and there's a lot of corporate culture to turn around there, I suspect, but they're trying pretty hard to get back into the gaming business and if they keep bribing me, I'll keep going

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #69
samifan24
Pro Starter

Anyone picking up Killzone 3 on Tuesday? I just played the demo and it was pretty fun.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Also, if you haven't been checking out the deals KMart is running lately with new games, you're doing yourself a disservice. They have a new rewards program and they're putting out massive bonuses for buying stuff the week it comes out. ...

Interesting, & I appreciate the headsup.

Checking it out though, I noticed some interesting fine print that's different from at least some of the customer loyalty programs out there.

*Points are earned on qualifying purchases and community participation. Points cannot be redeemed on Sears Home Services or at the Kmart Pharmacy.
To enroll, you must provide a valid e-mail address or mobile phone number and opt-in to receive e-mails or text messaging from Sears and our affiliates.
To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must maintain a valid e-mail address in your account and remain opted-in to receiving promotional e-mails from Sears and our affiliates.

Not sure I've ever seen that requirement with the few programs like this I've bothered with but figured I'd point it out for the FOFC (since I know how anti-ad, anti-spam, etc, we tend to be)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-20-2011 at 07:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I had not noticed that personally. I haven't received any ads yet but I've only been signed up for a day. I suspect it will be like JCPenneys or somewhere else that I get one per week.

SI

Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #72
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Two games that have my interest.

RAGE Official Site

Yoostar 2
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #73
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone ever played that Back to the Future game? Saw it on Steam and had a bit of a nostalgia kick that made me want to buy it.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #74
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Has anyone ever played that Back to the Future game? Saw it on Steam and had a bit of a nostalgia kick that made me want to buy it.

I've played episode 1 so far and really enjoy it. Before buying it, click here and you can get episode 1 for free.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #75
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Episode 1 has been entertaining so far, but I thought the DeLorean's premise was something of a stretch.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #76
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Two games that have my interest.

RAGE Official Site

Yoostar 2

Looking forward to Yoostar 2 too... looks like a fun "party game".

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

1st gameplay trailer for Skyrim

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayerLg51433">
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sears email stuff is like a tarbaby that you can't get rid of. Beware.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #79
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone picked up Two Worlds 2?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #80
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Was going to, but the payola scandal they're embroiled in right now made me back way off.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Looking forward to Yoostar 2 too... looks like a fun "party game".

Yeah, I was going to order last night.. but I think I'll wait on reviews just to be safe.. looks fun with friends over.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #82
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sears email stuff is like a tarbaby that you can't get rid of. Beware.

wait a minute what
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #83
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
wait a minute what

I'm assuming he's meaning the very first statement in this wiki: Tar baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd pick a better simile, but I see what he was doing and its not really offensive.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #84
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

We Dare Video Is The Most Awful Thing You'll See Today

Last edited by mckerney : 02-24-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #86
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Anyone picked up Two Worlds 2?

The first one was so terrible, there doesn't exist enough payola in the world to make me touch the second.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #87
Drake
assmaster

See, once it was patched to hell and back, I didn't think the first Two Worlds was completely horrible.

I mean, it's questing system is fucked and broken, the writing and voice acting were horrible, horrible, horrible, the whole world feels stagnant and unpopulated and the main storyline was almost completely incomprehensible, but the game itself was gorgeous and I actually liked the combat mechanics.

My thing with Two Worlds was that I wanted the actual game to be as good as the tech that supported it, because the tech pieces are really pretty stunning (or were four years ago or whatever), but the actual gaming bits were just bad. Half the time, I felt like I was just wandering up to random houses/building/towns and killing shit without having any idea why I was doing it except that they'd attacked me. Then I'd find out a couple of hours later that apparently that was part of a quest I just hadn't received yet or had done out of sequence.

But I liked the killing. It was very pretty.

So, if you can roleplay in your head that you're a wandering sociopathic spree-killer, you can dig the original Two Worlds okay.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #88
Drake
assmaster

dola...

For what it's worth, I believe my post above could be listed in the dictionary under the phrase "damning with faint praise".
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #89
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Mythos looks to be going through another beta sign up phase. This is a F2P online hack 'n' slash that was getting rather positive feedback during it's original stages, but then it's developer...wait for it....the infamous Flagship Studios sunk. It got picked up by another company which now has it moving forward again.

Granted, said new company says you can download their game via a torrent engine, so I'm not sure if I should applaud them, or be horrified that a company wants you to use something most known for downloading illegal content. Oh, and when I did the download I thought the obvious download would be Mythos. Oh, I was wrong and skimmed by the fact they said you were downloading their other game. Yeah, I'm not playing some dance game. Point is, you can at least sign up for beta.

http://www.mythos.com/

Last edited by Matthean : 02-25-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #90
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Shit just got real in the LG/Sony fight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/...g-legal-dispute

Tens of Thousands of Playstation 3's impounded/seized in Europe, and LG may be going to the courts to extend the seizure order (currently set to run 10 days)... meanwhile there's only 2-3 weeks worth of stock in the Europipeline right now, so Sony REALLY wants to get this ban lifted. And if LG REALLLLLLLY wanted to play dirty after the preliminary injunction, they could request to the court to destroy the seized items..

((Joke: I wonder if Sony will count these as sales, since they're no longer owned by Sony at the moment))

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #91
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I'm assuming he's meaning the very first statement in this wiki: Tar baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd pick a better simile, but I see what he was doing and its not really offensive.

I thought tarbaby was the term for a spam email that once you subscribe, it is virtually impossible to get rid of it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MLB 2k11 demo is out on x360 - impressions seem positive thus far
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #93
mckerney
Coordinator

Video Gamers Offended by Rape Claim Drop an Amazon Bomb

Woman talks to Fox News about Bulletstorm without playing it and claims that games like it lead to an increase in rape. Now she's upset that people are giving her books negative reviews on Amazon without reading them.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #94
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
MLB 2k11 demo is out on x360 - impressions seem positive thus far

Wait, is this the 2009, 2010, or 2011 video game thread?

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Wait, is this the 2009, 2010, or 2011 video game thread?

It's been getting better each year... although I'm not really into console baseball, I'd rather play a text sim.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #96
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you...

Battlefield 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwqHeZAbTDg

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-02-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #97
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

my god
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #98
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

wowzers!! I have never seen graphics on a game that crisp...

I'm up. I'm F'd up but I'm up!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's pretty ... but how does it play? That'll be the proof of the pudding one way or the other.

Also, any final word on whether EA will force the one gamertag per purchase MP thing from their sports series onto BF3?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

The Battlefield series is pretty solid. I don't have many concerns about it following Bad Company 2. In fact, that game has made it so I can likely never play a shooter without destructable environments ever again.