Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #201
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Packing the file up.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #202
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. I wasn't even aware that Dan Long qualified as a rookie.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #203
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The AI decided on that award. I didn't. So I guess he did. The only awards I tinkered with were the pitcher awards in both leagues and the RL MVP, because the AI tends to overvalue VORP and I just hate that when we're talking about award that we all know gets valued heavily on HRs/RBI and meat and potatoes stats.

The AI wanted to give CL POY to Gonzalez. But we all know that in real life, that 20-1 would be hard to ignore. Beens was selected by the AI in the RL, I just picked different pitchers for 2nd and 3rd place, because wins do matter in real life, though the AI again, values VORP too much.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-17-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #204
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Ahhh no worries, you got a new team to run now EH?????

Yeah now i get to compete with you for the first round pick
Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #205
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is uploading. It's 51.04 MB. 3% and counting.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #206
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Yay i get my new team, Thanks DC
Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #207
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The AI decided on that award. I didn't. So I guess he did. The only awards I tinkered with were the pitcher awards in both leagues and the RL MVP, because the AI tends to overvalue VORP and I just hate that when we're talking about award that we all know gets valued heavily on HRs/RBI and meat and potatoes stats.

The AI wanted to give CL POY to Gonzalez. But we all know that in real life, that 20-1 would be hard to ignore. Beens was selected by the AI in the RL, I just picked different pitchers for 2nd and 3rd place, because wins do matter in real life, though the AI again, values VORP too much.

Yeah I guess he only had 79 at bats leading into this year in part time play for Hartford. Since he was 27 I just hadn't thought of him as a rookie. He had a nice year though either way.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #208
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Way to go Alan, congrats. Back to back titles, never been done by a team not built against AI teams. (Sorry DC, I had to say it.)
Old 08-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #209
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Way to go Alan, congrats. Back to back titles, never been done by a team not built against AI teams. (Sorry DC, I had to say it.)

File is at 45%

There isn't a middle finger smiley here. That is unfortunate.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #210
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That said, I think what Alan has done is downright impressive. I remember back in the mid-60s, when he forecasted his plan with this ballclub. So to execute that is really really impressive. I've got nothing but props for his handiwork.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #211
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Scary part is that his team doesn't show any weakness for years to come.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #212
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Btw, I pick 2nd overall this year and my pick may be availible if i get a great deal for it to help me rebuild.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #213
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have an OOTP 5 year rebuild plan down pretty well by now. My problem is I haven't ever quite figured out a good year 12-15 plan and usually end up watching everything fall to disarray.. I'm hoping that the 1970s will see me actually improve on that this time around.

I think alot of OOTP has too much randomness or luck built in though. I don't think my winning the CL this season was luck.. It is hard to explain a 25+ game difference as luck, but easily this year's fool classic could have gone to Colorado. The same could be said for last year's FOOL Classic as well as last year's CL could have easily gone a different direction. I also think the 1969 CL could have easily gone my way but in that case I was unlucky.

All things considered, I don't know if I would be looking as good if I had gone 0-3 in FOOL Classics, which could very possibly been a very realistic outcome. The postseason always seems to me to almost be a roll of the dice moreso than whom the better team is. I've just gotten on a hot streak of luck and am riding it while it lasts. Usually it does not last for long, and I wouldn't be suprised to not even make the postseason next year.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #214
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
Scary part is that his team doesn't show any weakness for years to come.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. My team's weakness is going to be the salary cap. One of the reasons I was a huge fan of the salary cap remaining the same and not increasing is it makes it much tougher to keep a hot team together. Players produce really well and they WILL demand you to SHOW THEM THE MONEY!! I've gotten pretty luck on how a few different places have panned out for me. I've had to let some really good players walk but luckily have gotten decent production from players that replaced them.

Over the next 2-3 seasons, each year a new crop of players will come around and I'll have to make the decision on whom to keep and whom to let go.. including very soon alot of my starting pitchers.. I can't keep them all once they hit free agency.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #215
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have an OOTP 5 year rebuild plan down pretty well by now. My problem is I haven't ever quite figured out a good year 12-15 plan and usually end up watching everything fall to disarray.. I'm hoping that the 1970s will see me actually improve on that this time around.

I think alot of OOTP has too much randomness or luck built in though. I don't think my winning the CL this season was luck.. It is hard to explain a 25+ game difference as luck, but easily this year's fool classic could have gone to Colorado. The same could be said for last year's FOOL Classic as well as last year's CL could have easily gone a different direction. I also think the 1969 CL could have easily gone my way but in that case I was unlucky.

All things considered, I don't know if I would be looking as good if I had gone 0-3 in FOOL Classics, which could very possibly been a very realistic outcome. The postseason always seems to me to almost be a roll of the dice moreso than whom the better team is. I've just gotten on a hot streak of luck and am riding it while it lasts. Usually it does not last for long, and I wouldn't be suprised to not even make the postseason next year.

So modest ...... but I call BS.... You had the balls to make that deal with me and got 3 all stars out of it..... and you thought that deal would hurt you this year while most of the league stood PAT..... Your have earned it every step of the way Alan......You know when your close and you know when to make a move on guys trade wise and FA wise...... Im hoping that one of your pages falls somehow into my book at some point
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #216
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #217
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Did i get my new team? I just downloaded the new file and it still says compton.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #218
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
Did i get my new team? I just downloaded the new file and it still says compton.

It probably got copied over when I downloaded the new file when I messed up. I'll fix it and upload a new file tonight, so you can be prepared for FA with your new squad.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-18-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #219
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1972 Off-season Thread - Front Office Football Central
Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #220
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Congrats Alan on your championship and Chief on your RL title. Then to the rest of the CL the Brownstones front office would like to issue an apology for my bullpens closers blowing things two years in a row.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #221
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Nevermind, I agree with Alan, he sucks and has just been lucky.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #222
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Nevermind, I agree with Alan, he sucks and has just been lucky.

There you go, glad you came around

Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #223
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, Alan, your team was incredible and deserved the win. Wish I could have taken it to nine. Really, after winning the first two, I was barely in this series. The one other win I got required a three-run comeback in the ninth. So you give me too much credit. Your team was very good and rightfully dominant.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote