Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #151
allpro10050
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I am not even sure what this smiley is supposed to mean.. but I enjoy sitting and watching them party for a while every time I see it.

is that all that your seeing?
allpro10050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #152
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro10050 View Post
is that all that your seeing?

I take it that I am missing something...

Yeah, it just looks like a DJ playing party music and a ton of smileys dancing (or hopping up and down dancing)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #153
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I can probably thank Wyoming for this..... Rio Grande had not had a winning record for 9 years until this season. Last year was our closest just 2 games under .500. It is our third straight year finishing in 5th though.

Our hitting was up though, highest team avg in six years at .263. Our team ERA was a club record once again as our 3.07 beat our previous record form two years ago of 3.08.

Both Skip Adams and Ron Fritz broke Juan Medina's team record for Ks in a season, Skip earning the new record with 268. Skip's 10.9 K9 is also a new team record. Ron got his own though, with a team record 6.88 K/BB. Skip tied Juan Medina's 20 year old team record with OAVG of .199. All of that stuff though and Skip only got 11 wins this year, so I guess the hitting wasn't good enough even with the improvement.

Stanley Patterson's .357 AVG this year tied the team record set in the championship year of 1968....by current teammate Hideaki Tanaka. Patterson's 209 hits was only good enough for 2nd place in team history though, sandwiched right between his 1st and 3rd places of 220 in '78 and 202 in '79. He did beat both of those years in singles though and set a new team record with 163.

Miguel Villalobos' 52 SB is good for a team record. Patterson and Rigsby placed in the top ten this year as well at 6 and 7. Villalobos also set a team record for getting caught as well though, with 37. Ouch.

My big mistake? Letting my doubt over a new (old guy) catcher and loyalty to Tanaka get the best of me. I had been keeping Tanaka on the bench for a while now it seems, but let him split time this year. Tanaka hit .161, Delgado hit .300, almost the same number at bats. That probably lost me a few games.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #154
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
You got lucky, they are virtually identical players up until the moment the game decides to take a crap.

*edit
Correction. Lopez was the better player til this moment. Stupid OOTP.

Good job getting lucky.

gotta know when to hold 'em.

know when to fold 'em

know when to walk away

know when to run.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #155
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
*stares menicingly at Chief*

Ooooh! I am soooooooo scaaaaaaaarrrrrrrreeeeeddd!!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #156
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
gotta know when to hold 'em.

know when to fold 'em

know when to walk away

know when to run.

Please don't try to say you knew this was going to happen. Just don't. I'm trying to be nice here, so please don't attempt to bait me into something.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-15-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #157
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This pisses me off to no end. It can't happen to a bench player. Nope. Just a cornerstone of my offense.

Yup...it seems this quirk only happens to guys with 100 contact. Harmon was the first, then my Yaio got hammered (He was a 100 contact 100 power 100sp guy who got Harmoned in the spring training before is MLB debut), I've seen a few others too....all with 100 contact.

Stupid bug...stupid german engineering...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 11-15-2008 at 09:42 AM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #158
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I never realized we don't play a balanced schedule. I figured with 7 opponents we would play each 22 times.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #159
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Its my turn to ask:

Players with "2" years left in their financial status are now eligible to be cut if they make over 5 million, since this season has ended. Correct? Because one of the 2 years is paid out....right?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #160
TimGuru
High School Varsity

EZEKILA PILA has one year left at 5 million. He has not hit well in my park but had 5 road home runs and a road OBP of .355 in limited platooning time. He might flourish if he returned to the RL. If you want him, I will let him go for a mid tier prospect (minor league OF with some holes in his game, something like that).
Old 11-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #161
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Please don't try to say you knew this was going to happen. Just don't. I'm trying to be nice here, so please don't attempt to bait me into something.

Come on, are people really this sensitive where this is an issue? Everyone knows he couldn't predict this and is just making light of the fact that he got the better end of the deal so why keep talking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
I never realized we don't play a balanced schedule. I figured with 7 opponents we would play each 22 times.

We use to play a balanced schedule, not sure how long ago it changed.

Quote:
Its my turn to ask:

Players with "2" years left in their financial status are now eligible to be cut if they make over 5 million, since this season has ended. Correct? Because one of the 2 years is paid out....right?

If a player was on a 2 year deal he can now be cut and his salary will go against this year as this years portion has already been paid out.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #162
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We're supposed to! I guess something else that I assume was still working as expected that I need to look into.

Quote:
Its my turn to ask:

Yes, once this year is fully paid out and only one year left, you can cut them even if they make more than $5mil per year. Just be careful that you don't cause your team to go negative budget in doing so or you will get penalized for that though.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #163
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
Come on, are people really this sensitive where this is an issue? Everyone knows he couldn't predict this and is just making light of the fact that he got the better end of the deal so why keep talking about it?

I think Tasan is understandably upset at OOTP, Markus and anything German right now is all. I think he is just saying that he's pretty frustrated with the game and additional salt in the wound isn't helping is all. This isn't really getting the best of a deal as much as it is just a stupid bug that Markus said was fixed, but obviously isn't. I have a save from before and after the season that I'll use to show them that this bug still exists and is still super annoying.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #164
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think Tasan is understandably upset at OOTP, Markus and anything German right now is all. I think he is just saying that he's pretty frustrated with the game and additional salt in the wound isn't helping is all. This isn't really getting the best of a deal as much as it is just a stupid bug that Markus said was fixed, but obviously isn't. I have a save from before and after the season that I'll use to show them that this bug still exists and is still super annoying.

If you are convinced this is a bug, Tasan should get some relief in my opinion. Either use commish powers to fix the guy to something respectable, if not his original 100, or create a player with the same potentials and put him in his R or SA system. The fluctuation of chance and what it did to this season should be "more than enough" punishment. I am sure no one would object since it can and probably will happen to all of us eventually.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #165
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

I feel for ya Tasan. Its happened to 2 of my OF guys who were both starters one season in between each other. Very very frustrating. What makes it even worse is that this guy was "the guy" on his team. Tough to be in rebuild mode thinking that next season was gonna be your year and then have this happen. Kills interest even more.

Hang in there......
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #166
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you are convinced this is a bug, Tasan should get some relief in my opinion. Either use commish powers to fix the guy to something respectable, if not his original 100, or create a player with the same potentials and put him in his R or SA system. The fluctuation of chance and what it did to this season should be "more than enough" punishment. I am sure no one would object since it can and probably will happen to all of us eventually.

This has been brought up before. The problem is if we start fixing it now, then everyone else that it happened to would get hosed..... Since both you and Tasan are on BOD im gonna be real interested if this finally gets some more push behind it.

On the flip side its tough to draw that line as to where the point drop would come into play.... If we set it at say a 30 point drop, the guy that get hammered at 29 is gonna bitch with "well its only on more point why cant we do it".....
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #167
muns
Pro Starter

Also, Alan ive exported already..... but I gotta get going as its our first "real game" today away and im expecting to get back late tomorrow.

So if im not here, good luck to all in the playoffs and the classic!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #168
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
This has been brought up before. The problem is if we start fixing it now, then everyone else that it happened to would get hosed..... Since both you and Tasan are on BOD im gonna be real interested if this finally gets some more push behind it.

On the flip side its tough to draw that line as to where the point drop would come into play.... If we set it at say a 30 point drop, the guy that get hammered at 29 is gonna bitch with "well its only on more point why cant we do it".....

Thats not what I'm proposing at all. There is a very specific bug when players have "real" ratings above 100, which are displayed as 100 (aside, I've never understood how you can have a rating above the max for that rating), and the game decides to truncate the 100s place and replace the value (which used to be, say, 143) with just the tens and ones place (43 in my example). Since Alan has the before and after file, he can determine if this case meets that property. I do not think that any occassional random talent drop, even if catastrophic, should be fixed. There should be the occassional flukey drop from 80 to 43. But there shouldn't be a drop because the game just decided not to type a "1" in before the 43 in the database.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #169
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

what's there to bait?

stop being so friggin sensitive. everyone knows this is completely random. that having been said take your lumps and move on. i got the better end of the deal in hindsight, it happens.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #170
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post

whew! jeezus, i was beginning to get scared here, thankfully someone gets it. good job.

Last edited by Anthony : 11-15-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #171
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thats not what I'm proposing at all. There is a very specific bug when players have "real" ratings above 100, which are displayed as 100 (aside, I've never understood how you can have a rating above the max for that rating), and the game decides to truncate the 100s place and replace the value (which used to be, say, 143) with just the tens and ones place (43 in my example). Since Alan has the before and after file, he can determine if this case meets that property. I do not think that any occassional random talent drop, even if catastrophic, should be fixed. There should be the occassional flukey drop from 80 to 43. But there shouldn't be a drop because the game just decided not to type a "1" in before the 43 in the database.

I thought it was the German technologies political party stance that the rating drop was due to career ending injuries occuring in none injury leagues that cause the malfunction....either/or What about the other half dozen to a dozen players that have had this before? Tas got royally hosed, I really wish he didn't...Great guy who deserves a break, but I got hit too, so has muns, so has many others that never got it fixed.
I will totally suport any plan to undo any future glitches...but we can't fix Tas without fixing every other player who got hit as well. i know it's a fine line, but that is how I feel.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #172
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I thought it was the German technologies political party stance that the rating drop was due to career ending injuries occuring in none injury leagues that cause the malfunction....either/or What about the other half dozen to a dozen players that have had this before? Tas got royally hosed, I really wish he didn't...Great guy who deserves a break, but I got hit too, so has muns, so has many others that never got it fixed.
I will totally suport any plan to undo any future glitches...but we can't fix Tas without fixing every other player who got hit as well. i know it's a fine line, but that is how I feel.

I'm gonna drop this because *edit*

Last edited by TimGuru : 11-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #173
Tasan
College Starter

Anthony, I apologize for not seeing the humor in it at the time. I had a huge chip on my shoulder when posting, and that was the absolute best I could muster at the time.

I'm in no way asking that this guy gets brought back. The commish and other BoD members can decide that if they wish. What I do want now is draw a line in the sand from here on out. There are VERY clear identifiers on this problem. I'm proposing we fix future players following those identifiers and not depend on Markus fixing the issue. Is it fair to the folks that came before? No, but past unjustice does exclude future justice. The team will get hosed in the season enough due poor player performance.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #174
TimGuru
High School Varsity

+1
well phrased, with the past and future injustice thing there.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #175
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This bug is slightly different. It might be due to something similar codewise that caused that bug though. Here it is not actually a display issue, if I turn on ratings > 100, it doesn't "fix" anything. The actual "real" rating went from 250/250 to 5/250 which is why I think something wrapped around.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #176
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sudden player rating drop bug still exists - OOTP Developments Forums

Old 11-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #177
Anthony
Banned

isn't it kind of realistic for something like this to happen. in role playing terms we could always pretend such guys got busted for doing steroids the prior season and went off the juice. or they got severely injured in the offseason or something. if it can happen to everyone then i don't see a need to fix it. if it's just one team that this happens to that's a different story. i know in my case i don't know what this bug is and i'm too lazy to find out what the bug is, if Lopez were to have busted on me like that i would've just explained it away as a player randomly busting and wouldn't have even thought anything of it.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #178
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
isn't it kind of realistic for something like this to happen. in role playing terms we could always pretend such guys got busted for doing steroids the prior season and went off the juice. or they got severely injured in the offseason or something. if it can happen to everyone then i don't see a need to fix it. if it's just one team that this happens to that's a different story. i know in my case i don't know what this bug is and i'm too lazy to find out what the bug is, if Lopez were to have busted on me like that i would've just explained it away as a player randomly busting and wouldn't have even thought anything of it.

It doesn't happen like the old versions of OOTP where you had random talent hits that ended up scrubbing a player forever. In this case, it is just one single number that gets destroyed. For instance, Contact vs Leftys goes from 100 to 20. (the real number was 233 to 5). The contact vs Rightys stays the same, and leaves you with a guy who has 100 contact vs rightys and virtually 0 contact vs leftys.

So no real easy way to explain this off like steroids or such.

It only seems to have affected players with 100 contact however so far, so I assume avoiding players like that would help in avoiding this from hitting you.. but it kind of stinks to have a league where owners feel they have to avoid the best players to avoid a game bug I guess.

What I am disappointed the most about is that I could swear that Markus had said he fixed this, and I had put it completely behind us the last time this happened. I guess it shouldn't shock me at all that it isn't fixed.. but this has to be one of the dumber bugs in OOTP I've encountered.

It probably also affects us more than other online leagues because most online leagues don't have the level of talent inflation that we have. We have so much excess talent, that it is likely to hit us more than other leagues.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #179
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Top 20 Total Win Shares for the 1984 season:

Players Win Shares - by Year
first_name last_name team_id HittingWinShares PitchingWinShares FieldingWinShares TotalWinShares
"Charlie" "Wilson" Boston 36.10 0.00 6.02 42.12
"Steven" "McGill" Hartford 28.65 0.00 5.29 33.93
"John" "Mockly" Wyoming 0.00 33.89 0.00 33.89
"Larry" "Abbott" Atlanta 28.00 0.00 4.22 32.22
"Carlos" "Romero" Atlanta 24.73 0.00 3.89 28.62
"Gareth" "Simons" Colorado 19.19 0.00 9.27 28.46
"Holden" "Matthews" Columbus 26.08 0.00 2.25 28.33
"Abraham" "Luján" Toronto 19.51 0.00 8.38 27.90
"Sandy" "Anderson" Hartford 24.87 0.00 2.97 27.84
"José" "González" Atlanta 24.22 0.00 3.30 27.52
"Héctor" "Rodríguez" Rio Grande 19.25 0.00 7.87 27.12
"Stanley" "Patterson" Rio Grande 21.89 0.00 4.73 26.62
"Ambrose" "Lewis" San Diego 0.00 26.26 0.00 26.26
"Thierry" "Fournier" Napa Valley 22.10 0.00 3.85 25.95
"Santiago" "MacQueen" Boston 19.11 0.00 6.75 25.85
"Ánibal" "Ramírez" Columbus 19.99 0.00 5.64 25.64
"Andy" "Eaton" Hartford 18.04 0.00 7.46 25.50
"Luke" "Crawford" Long Island 19.11 0.00 6.21 25.32
"Josh" "Robinson" Baltimore 15.88 0.00 9.01 24.88
"Miguel" "Villalobos" Rio Grande 14.94 0.00 9.77 24.71

Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #180
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a feeling that "Win Shares" aren't really able to compensate very well for a team like this year's Wyoming team. Mockly's 33.89 Win Shares signifies that Wyoming was 11 wins better with him than if they hadn't had him. Since they only won 18 games all year, that is a bit tough for it to figure out I suppose

Old 11-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #181
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Top 10 Pitching Win Shares for 1984:

first_name last_name team_id HittingWinShares PitchingWinShares FieldingWinShares TotalWinShares
"John" "Mockly" Wyoming 0.00 33.89 0.00 33.89
"Ambrose" "Lewis" San Diego 0.00 26.26 0.00 26.26
"Ed" "Burke" San Diego 0.00 23.80 0.00 23.80
"Mike" "Brown" Baltimore 0.00 23.65 0.00 23.65
"Jorge" "Aquino" Hartford 0.00 22.72 0.00 22.72
"Guillermo" "Arrojo" San Diego 0.00 21.81 0.00 21.81
"Dylan" "Robinson" Hartford 0.00 21.20 0.00 21.20
"Tu-fu" "Qian" Atlanta 0.00 21.18 0.00 21.18
"Júlio" "Martínez" Toronto 0.00 21.13 0.00 21.13
"Jericho" "Scott" Brooklyn 0.00 20.63 0.00 20.63

Old 11-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #182
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Top 10 Hitting WIn shares for 1984:

"Charlie" "Wilson" Boston 36.10 0.00 6.02 42.12
"Steven" "McGill" Hartford 28.65 0.00 5.29 33.93
"Larry" "Abbott" Atlanta 28.00 0.00 4.22 32.22
"Holden" "Matthews" Columbus 26.08 0.00 2.25 28.33
"Sandy" "Anderson" Hartford 24.87 0.00 2.97 27.84
"Carlos" "Romero" Atlanta 24.73 0.00 3.89 28.62
"José" "González" Atlanta 24.22 0.00 3.30 27.52
"Thierry" "Fournier" Napa Valley 22.10 0.00 3.85 25.95
"Stanley" "Patterson" Rio Grande 21.89 0.00 4.73 26.62
"Arthur" "Holcombe" Hartford 20.83 0.00 0.70 21.53

Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #183
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Top 10 Fielding win Shares for 1984:

"José" "López" Atlanta 11.97 0.00 12.19 24.16
"Luther" "Palmer" Long Island 0.00 0.00 9.98 9.98
"Matthias" "Fontaine" Toronto 7.31 0.00 9.88 17.19
"Miguel" "Villalobos" Rio Grande 14.94 0.00 9.77 24.71
"Gareth" "Simons" Colorado 19.19 0.00 9.27 28.46
"Josh" "Robinson" Baltimore 15.88 0.00 9.01 24.88
"Yun-ho" "Chong" Brooklyn 13.74 0.00 9.00 22.75
"Holden" "Sims" San Diego 5.53 0.00 8.42 13.94
"Abraham" "Luján" Toronto 19.51 0.00 8.38 27.90
"Mark" "Taylor" San Diego 8.84 0.00 8.37 17.21