Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #51
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would help you out, but I am at the cap myself.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
whoa 17m over cap nice

I was working on a solution for that...at the time that I gave the team up. Good luck!

You'll need it!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #53
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

DC,

I like how your entire pitching staff are all starting pitchers

Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
DC,

I like how your entire pitching staff are all starting pitchers

Yeah? I haven't even assessed it yet, but that doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Free agency is such as tease. I can't afford anyone this year or next year. So it's sorta depressing to see these players out there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #56
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Welcome newbs, send me your women.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #57
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I've got cap room if anybody has a stud pitcher they need to dump for salary reasons...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #58
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I've got cap room if anybody has a stud pitcher they need to dump for salary reasons...

First, apparently I don't, I may actually be spending some money on payroll for once ($62 mil right now, although Patrick Perkins contract is hanging on by a thin thread).

Second, I love that 3B Roberto Farias in FA has a 95 rating at Catcher and no rating at any other position. What games have you been playing in Compton DC?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
First, apparently I don't, I may actually be spending some money on payroll for once ($62 mil right now, although Patrick Perkins contract is hanging on by a thin thread).

Second, I love that 3B Roberto Farias in FA has a 95 rating at Catcher and no rating at any other position. What games have you been playing in Compton DC?

I moved him to third base, because I wanted to make him play third base this year. The trick is, if you move a guy to a different position and make him play it all spring training, he'll get a rating at that position that's competent enough to play it. And by competent, I mean a rating of like 5 or 10. Not anything pretty. But I do that to get a bat in the lineup. That's what I did with Yamazaki to get him to play shortstop.

But then, I thought I resigned him there. But I guess I didn't.

Oh. darn.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-05-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #60
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Welcome to the league, Turner. The Bluejackets suck!

Thanks for the lovely welcome! I've played OOTP9 SP, so I'm hoping it will translate well to MP, but I'm sure I'll get fleeced for the first few years. I used to play in High Heat Baseball leagues online years ago, but I haven't tried OOTP online. I'm definitely looking forward to taking Seattle to the top!

As an aside, are we allowed to move teams? I'd love to move them to Columbus and have a nice rivalry with Ann Arbor
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Thanks for the lovely welcome! I've played OOTP9 SP, so I'm hoping it will translate well to MP, but I'm sure I'll get fleeced for the first few years. I used to play in High Heat Baseball leagues online years ago, but I haven't tried OOTP online. I'm definitely looking forward to taking Seattle to the top!

As an aside, are we allowed to move teams? I'd love to move them to Columbus and have a nice rivalry with Ann Arbor

As long as you promise not to quit the league because you need to play in the North American Correspondence Chess Invitational or something similar (yes, someone told me they couldn't accept their original invite to join FOOL due to this..) Then sure, move away.

Columbus what?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #62
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

With all the other crap in this thread, i must have missed this post somewhere. Welcome aboard!!!! Good luck with the new squad!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #63
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I now realize that I chose the wrong Georgia town to have my team from. I should have picked Hell, Georgia and then when things didn't go well I could just say I feel like I'm in Hell.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #64
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

As long as you are making adjustments can you bump up Brooklyn's park from 43,750 to 50,000. I feel it is time since we had an average attendance of 46,170 last year and sold out the past 4 years straight.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #65
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
As long as you promise not to quit the league because you need to play in the North American Correspondence Chess Invitational or something similar (yes, someone told me they couldn't accept their original invite to join FOOL due to this..) Then sure, move away.

Columbus what?

Chief has been on point tonight, so I was hoping he would post his "pussies" comment, but I got antsy......

btw that is some funny stuff right there
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Got it. Brooklyn stadium size increased.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-05-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #67
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

GL Turner you should have a blast. This is the first version of OOTP that I have played in years and first online league ever and it did not take me that long to get the hang of things, so I am sure you will find your groove quick.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #68
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

Columbus what?

Oh man, I completely forgot that was coming up, I guess I have to....

I haven't decided on the nickname yet, I'll move them after the upcoming season. First, I need to get a new owner for the team, have them send secret e-mails about wanting to move to Columbus, pretend that I want to keep the team in Seattle, and then leave town. Do I have a Kevin Durant-type player as well?
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Oh man, I completely forgot that was coming up, I guess I have to....

I haven't decided on the nickname yet, I'll move them after the upcoming season. First, I need to get a new owner for the team, have them send secret e-mails about wanting to move to Columbus, pretend that I want to keep the team in Seattle, and then leave town. Do I have a Kevin Durant-type player as well?

You know they were originally called the Seattle Supersonics before the previous owner renamed them the Seattle Armada, right.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #70
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My fave of suggested names for Oklahoma is Wind. You could do that in Columbus, too.

"The Wind Blow."
"The Wind Broke"

And other funny references.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Exports time.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #72
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I feel good about this sim. I feel that I likely won't lose an entire game.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #73
muns
Pro Starter

Well that post makes me nervous. Sounds like your threw some money around at someone(s)
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That Chicago/Colorado trade took like 15 minutes to find all of the players and process
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Baltimore signed OF Tony Hernandez (New York) to a 1 year deal worth $10 million

Hartford signed CL Orlando Diaz (Toronto) to a 2-year deal worth $9 million
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #76
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Baltimore signed 2B Jose Zamora (Hartford) to a 2 year deal worth $19.4 million

New York signed SP Derek Chandler (Seattle) to a 4-year deal worth $26.4 million
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Chicago signed MR Mike McBride (Baltimore) to a 3-year deal worth $16.6 million

Chicago signed 3B Jerry Matthews (Texas) to a 5 year deal worth $44.8 million

Baltimore signed SP Ron Pate (El Paso) to a 4 year dael worth $43.2 million

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-05-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #78
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Baltimore is getting serious.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #79
muns
Pro Starter

well that didnt work out as I hoped
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #80
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Uploading now...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #81
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is 20.14 MB and is up now!

No draft list revealed itself, so I didn't sim all the way to the end of the month, since it seems it'll keep coming tomorrow. I dunno why the game decided to start doing it that way, even after I set the draft back to the 1st of March. But..oh well.

I tried to install Getch's utilities so we could use that as a our draft list instead, but...I don't have perl on my server or something. Or maybe I do, but it didn't work. I tried, tho.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-05-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #82
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have any idea what the coach reputation is based on? Doesn't seem to be wins or winning percentage or postseason appearances or well anything that I can figure out.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #83
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Anyone have any idea what the coach reputation is based on? Doesn't seem to be wins or winning percentage or postseason appearances or well anything that I can figure out.

The only person with a higher winning percentage than you among active owners is Tell in New York. And me, but I had 3 more years head start, too.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #84
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The only person with a higher winning percentage than you among active owners is Tell in New York. And me, but I had 3 more years head start, too.

Yeah I can see that, but what I mean is.. I'm trying to figure out what the reputation is based on. Doesn't seem to be based on any of those. Just curious as I doubt it really plays a part in anything gamewise.. I just was flipping through pages and it was something that got me curious.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yeah I can see that, but what I mean is.. I'm trying to figure out what the reputation is based on. Doesn't seem to be based on any of those. Just curious as I doubt it really plays a part in anything gamewise.. I just was flipping through pages and it was something that got me curious.

It doesn't affect anything. I think it's just one of those gee whiz features. I don't think players prefer a Veteran GM to a Greenhorn, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #86
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It doesn't affect anything. I think it's just one of those gee whiz features. I don't think players prefer a Veteran GM to a Greenhorn, etc.

Yeah, that is what I was saying.. I don't think I'm getting my message across very well!

It is a feature that doesn't really have any impact I don't think.. so I never really researched it much. I was looking at it tonight when someone asked who all we had interactions with prior to this league and I used the coach's page to figure out who all was actually in the league! While there, it got me thinking that I wondered if anyone knew what that was based on.. just for fun and laughs though.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #87
muns
Pro Starter

anyone else having problems with the server?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yeah, that is what I was saying.. I don't think I'm getting my message across very well!

It is a feature that doesn't really have any impact I don't think.. so I never really researched it much. I was looking at it tonight when someone asked who all we had interactions with prior to this league and I used the coach's page to figure out who all was actually in the league! While there, it got me thinking that I wondered if anyone knew what that was based on.. just for fun and laughs though.

Sorry I was confused.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #89
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Last night I offered Pate the extension he was looking for, which was nice and cheap thanks to him having a down year. Then, I (apparently) forgot to upload the damn thing and he became a free agent. As a FA I offered him more than he was asking for, but I couldn't afford what Baltimore offered.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #90
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
File is 20.14 MB and is up now!

No draft list revealed itself, so I didn't sim all the way to the end of the month, since it seems it'll keep coming tomorrow. I dunno why the game decided to start doing it that way, even after I set the draft back to the 1st of March. But..oh well.

I tried to install Getch's utilities so we could use that as a our draft list instead, but...I don't have perl on my server or something. Or maybe I do, but it didn't work. I tried, tho.

so whats next?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #91
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
so whats next?

Same ol, same ol. Draft lists get revealed tomorrow as usual.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #92
muns
Pro Starter

Sorry, been out for 2 seasons, and forgot there was a sim inbetween. Brain fart. Thanks as usual
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #93
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wonder if I can get away with a 4 man rotation this season?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #94
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wonder if I can get away with a 4 man rotation this season?

I've done it before. It's not the worst idea in the world. Better than a 7-7, 5.00 ERA 5th starter who gets torched and who is erratic.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #95
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've done it before. It's not the worst idea in the world. Better than a 7-7, 5.00 ERA 5th starter who gets torched and who is erratic.

I believe this is only true in the correct situation. Using a 4 man rotation means all of your pitchers (including your ace or best starting pitchers) will pitch less in the games, and not last as long. Instead of needing a shut down 7th, 8th and 9th inning relief pitcher, you likely will have a good number of games where you now dig into your bullpen in the 6th inning or often cases even the 5th inning, despite your starter pitching well.

At least from my experiments, a 4 man pitching rotation with modern pitching fatigue settings in OOTP requires a solid 7 person bullpen to succeed. If you have 2 really good middle game relievers, 3 strong 7th and 8th inning guys and a top closer, then yes you probably will do much better with a 4 man rotation.

I have also found unfortunately due to experience, if you only have 2-3 stud relievers, and your 5th or 6th relievers aren't that good, you'll see alot of leads evaporate in the 5th and 6th innings and a bullpen that is always really tired. So my belief is the answer to this question is "It depends"

Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #96
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I believe this is only true in the correct situation. Using a 4 man rotation means all of your pitchers (including your ace or best starting pitchers) will pitch less in the games, and not last as long. Instead of needing a shut down 7th, 8th and 9th inning relief pitcher, you likely will have a good number of games where you now dig into your bullpen in the 6th inning or often cases even the 5th inning, despite your starter pitching well.

At least from my experiments, a 4 man pitching rotation with modern pitching fatigue settings in OOTP requires a solid 7 person bullpen to succeed. If you have 2 really good middle game relievers, 3 strong 7th and 8th inning guys and a top closer, then yes you probably will do much better with a 4 man rotation.

I have also found unfortunately due to experience, if you only have 2-3 stud relievers, and your 5th or 6th relievers aren't that good, you'll see alot of leads evaporate in the 5th and 6th innings and a bullpen that is always really tired. So my belief is the answer to this question is "It depends"

Good feedback.

Maybe he can make a deal to get a 5th starter. There are certainly some Triple-A guys out there.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #97
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good feedback.

Maybe he can make a deal to get a 5th starter. There are certainly some Triple-A guys out there.

It should be really easy to deal for a 5th starter. I know I have had 1 on the trade block that actually is good enough for a 4th starter on most teams or even a 3rd starter on some teams myself. The market doesn't seem too strong for people wanting 5th starters so I doubt that mine or anyone else's would be too expensive tradewise to get.

My impression is right now most teams are going all in to try to get a 1st or 2nd starter, and due to that, they're just trying to fill their 5th starter spot with a youngster or someone perhaps not quite ready yet or a pitcher who has good ratings but bad previous stats, giving them a chance, etc... That means the rest of the teams with a bunch of major league pitchers really don't get many offers for them unless they are a top 1 or 2 pitcher type quality.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #98
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
It should be really easy to deal for a 5th starter. I know I have had 1 on the trade block that actually is good enough for a 4th starter on most teams or even a 3rd starter on some teams myself. The market doesn't seem too strong for people wanting 5th starters so I doubt that mine or anyone else's would be too expensive tradewise to get.

My impression is right now most teams are going all in to try to get a 1st or 2nd starter, and due to that, they're just trying to fill their 5th starter spot with a youngster or someone perhaps not quite ready yet or a pitcher who has good ratings but bad previous stats, giving them a chance, etc... That means the rest of the teams with a bunch of major league pitchers really don't get many offers for them unless they are a top 1 or 2 pitcher type quality.

I agree. Finding a 5th starter shouldnt be tough if he wants one, however Im finding trading to be more and more difficult than ever though.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #99
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I agree. Finding a 5th starter shouldnt be tough if he wants one, however Im finding trading to be more and more difficult than ever though.

I've been thinking on this... I've basically been offering quality Major leaguers, quality prospects, draft picks, etc and have had conversations with people, and thrown out offers to people, but most people seem to just be happy standing pat. My only guess is because the league had way too much talent enter it in previous seasons, that everyone has good players which makes alot of teams feel like either waiting to see how those players develop, or not necessarily feel like making moves.

Either that or the people not responding to PMs are just apathetic to day to day transactions and just want to build a team through free agency/drafts each year

Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #100
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Heh, didn't mean to start a firestorm, and I was half facetious. I've got one or two guys in my minors who are likely to fill in as a fifth starter, and/or I've got a decent enough bullpen to handle the back end if I need to. I just thought Pate would make a really nice addition.