Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1974 Offseason Thread (Pre-Draft file is up!)

Signings, drama and whatever else you can muster.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-01-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

CRAP!!!!!!!!! My export didn't take

I released joe Morris to free up cash and offered, among others, Artie Wiley a 5yr $90mil deal....The guy is only the best pitcher EVER!!!

This one sim may have been, with the talent available, the most important sim since I joined the league....and my frickin export didn't take! That is going to sting for a while!!

just ranting....not drama-ing
At least I still have Morris and Higman and pate changed their minds and will negotiate with me...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 09-01-2008 at 03:27 AM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
kaosfere
College Prospect

Let's see how the off-season is shaping up for me.

I put offers on three big-time free agents. Two of them went elsewhere: Anthony Payton to Quad City, and Clinton Miner to Hartford. It looks like I was just barely outbid on Payton, but blown clear out of the water on Miner.

I did land Abraham Lujan, who will do well in the infield and bring a much-needed bat to the lineup. He may end up at third, or he may go to first to replace Bob Arnold, who has decided to test free-agency this year.

In spite of sending me mail during the season expressing unhappiness with the team, 3B Ramon Lopez decided to exercise his option year, and will be returning to the roster for 1974.

2B Doug Graves was signed from the minors to a 3-year big league contract. He and new acquisition Lujan should make for a much stronger infield next year.

The fans were not happy that I released Travis Singleton, which I find inexplicable, but they were mollified, it seems, by the pick-up of Lujan.

The only big losses this off-season will be 1B Bob Arnold who, as I mentioned, chose to test free-agency, and MR Joji Matsumoto, who did the same. Matsumoto is not a huge loss, but he had a decent role in a bullpen that was the highlight of our pitching staff.

I have already picked up Ron Lord in trade for two minor league prospects. He will bring another strong bat to the lineup, and prop up a weak outfield.

One big puzzle still to be solved is that of my starting rotation. Sachi Yamada, picked up from Hartford's minor leagues last year, has proven himself worthy of the starting slot, but the rotation is still missing serious ace power. My pre-Classic offer to Clinton Miner wasn't accepted, but I hope to be able to pick up one good arm in the larger free agency.

One promising potential is Maresuke Saito, who posted a stellar year in AAA ball and is scouting higher than he has in the past, but even he really seems capable only of being a #3 or #4 man in a strong lineup.

Last edited by kaosfere : 09-01-2008 at 11:30 AM.
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
have already picked up Ron Lord in trade for two minor league prospects. He will bring another strong bat to the lineup, and prop up a weak outfield

That was HUGE for you IMO...... I asked him about Lord right when you guys accpted the deal....

Touche
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post

I released joe Morris to free up cash and offered, among others, Artie Wiley a 5yr $90mil deal....The guy is only the best pitcher EVER!!!

This one sim may have been, with the talent available, the most important sim since I joined the league....and my frickin export didn't take! That is going to sting for a while!!

At least I still have Morris and Higman and pate changed their minds and will negotiate with me...

That does suck Did anyone elses not take???
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post

Mine took. I just barely got out bid on everyone I bid on except the pitcher you got muns.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

That is because muns is a thief. A pitcher stealing thief.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
That is because muns is a thief. A pitcher stealing thief.

Hey ill take being called a thief this year. Gladly take it, just as long as those ML deals that usually happen to me dont come up
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I submitted Saturday morning, apparently to the old server. It never came over. I had cut one guy in an effort to clear room to sign Jason Curtis. No biggie, just attempting that again tonight.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm uploading a new file right now. It'll be a stage file to "compensate" for the strange server issues. VL that I released are part of this file.

Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Colorado, Quad City all had exports that I captured in this file. I think in the future, I'll list the exports that I get in when I catch exports, that way, everyone knows whether I got them.

I'll post when the new file is up. You'll want to download this file. The deadline for exports will be midnight (EST) Because it'll give people time to download it, export if they want to, make last minute changes if they want to and then sim to the start of FA afterwards.

If you already made changes and don't have any desire to make new ones, then you have no reason to download and export the new file. Just wanted to make it available anyway, for those who did.

I'm gonna go live life now. I'll post when it's up.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-01-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I'm uploading a new file right now. It'll be a stage file to "compensate" for the strange server issues. VL that I released are part of this file.

Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Colorado, Quad City all had exports that I captured in this file. I think in the future, I'll list the exports that I get in when I catch exports, that way, everyone knows whether I got them.

I'll post when the new file is up. You'll want to download this file. The deadline for exports will be midnight. Because it'll give people time to download it, export if they want to, make last minute changes if they want to and then sim to the start of FA afterwards.

If you already made changes and don't have any desire to make new ones, then you have no reason to download and export the new file. Just wanted to make it available anyway, for those who did.

I'm gonna go live life now. I'll post when it's up.

What the deuce is that??? Life? hmm..intersting concept.

I know there is a utility that lists received exports....not sure how it works or how to work it, but it would be easier than you listing it. Plus people can check right after they export if it works. For me last night, you listing received exports wouldnt of helped as I was not around to do it again. Just a thought...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm gonna go live life now.

Brilliant idea. I didn't see my name in the list and I had an export as well, but it was a very small one (only moved one player to the minors to make room for my DFA new sign). No point sweating over it. I'll just do it for the next run tonight.

I'm going to go have a life as well! Wife and I are going to the park to grill steaks and drink wine.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Well now that EVERYONE knows what i am willing to pay for Wiley, it will really make bidding interesting!! Me and my big mouth!! Well boys...the bar is set

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well now that EVERYONE knows what i am willing to pay for Wiley, it will really make bidding interesting!! Me and my big mouth!! Well boys...the bar is set

If it's any consolation, at least he didn't put on your jersey, take the mantle as the #1 starter in your rotation before you said "sorry man, I gotta let ya go."

Good luck bidding. Hehehe...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
If it's any consolation, at least he didn't put on your jersey, take the mantle as the #1 starter in your rotation before you said "sorry man, I gotta let ya go."

Good luck bidding. Hehehe...

dc does have about 30 million to play with
Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #17
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Mine did not take either. I think it was because I exported before the new FTP server and have been unable to export until now.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That said, anyone who exported last night, their file will still work. The file that went up today wasn't dated differently. So the only way it'll matter if you wanted to make other changes.

These exports are in:

Quote:
Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Brooklyn
Colorado
Hartford
Quad City
Texas
Toronto
Valdosta
Rio Grande
Ann Arbor
Columbus

Missing: Compton

They have time, of course. Just figured in case people didn't want to wait until midnight, we could load the file at our normal time.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-01-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
They have time, of course. Just figured in case people didn't want to wait until midnight, we could load the file at our normal time.

I just made a few more changes and exported again. I'm now good to go whenever.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wouldn't do anything if all the files weren't in, so as to prevent any confusion. We've had enough of that...
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #21
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quick clarification on a couple of things, since I haven't been around too much today:

1) Tonight's sim is the usual Monday sim, correct? This list of teams listed as submitted is because of the server switch and that some teams exports didn't get imported?

2) This one, I feel stupid on, but have there always been FA available to bid on between the FOOL classic and the "start of free agency"? I've never checked the FA list, so for you guys talking about signing all of these players, leaves me a little confused about that as well?

Which leads me to one thing, that hopefully the BOC can help out on, which is to flesh out the schedule/rules a little bit more for newer people. For example, I wasn't aware of the cap situation, in terms of which number to look at. And now I find out that I've been missing out on some good quality players in FA because there's players out there before the "start of FA". I'm not going to get upset about it, I just am trying to more fully understand what is happening.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I will see about doing an export right now.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Quick clarification on a couple of things, since I haven't been around too much today:

1) Tonight's sim is the usual Monday sim, correct? This list of teams listed as submitted is because of the server switch and that some teams exports didn't get imported?

2) This one, I feel stupid on, but have there always been FA available to bid on between the FOOL classic and the "start of free agency"? I've never checked the FA list, so for you guys talking about signing all of these players, leaves me a little confused about that as well?

Which leads me to one thing, that hopefully the BOC can help out on, which is to flesh out the schedule/rules a little bit more for newer people. For example, I wasn't aware of the cap situation, in terms of which number to look at. And now I find out that I've been missing out on some good quality players in FA because there's players out there before the "start of FA". I'm not going to get upset about it, I just am trying to more fully understand what is happening.

Answer to #2 is yes there will usually be players there as free agents during the regular season (and thus at the end of the season before the FOOL Classic). Generally these are players either released by teams in order to get under salary cap at the start of the season, or players no teams wanted enough to offer a contract the previous season.

The last 5 seasons however, some players from the VL have been released into this pool early, which caused the drama from this last off season, although they've been appearing there for quite a while. That has been remedied and those players won't appear there until after the FOOL Classic now as well.

As for the league rules/schedule, there is one DC has stickied at the top of the forum, however that probably could use some rehashing out/cleaning up I am thinking.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

exported
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'd appreciate it if someone else took a stab at writing the league schedule thing. I clearly don't explain things as well for all comers to understand (I write densely sometimes) and I've heard before that it's a little confusing.

Any takers?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd appreciate it if someone else took a stab at writing the league schedule thing. I clearly don't explain things as well for all comers to understand (I write densely sometimes) and I've heard before that it's a little confusing.

Any takers?

THe following is what I wrote in one of the above stickied threads. It was my best attempt. If it is not clear enough, then someone else please modify it as they can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Export your file to FTP now.

Schedule is usually:

Sunday - Simming of FOOL Classic, other teams can offer roster moves (contract extensions, cutting players, etc)

Monday - Last chance to re-sign players before they become a free agent. Trades executed, etc

Tuesday - First night of free agency.

Wednesday - Second night of free agency, draft pool revealed after this sim

Thursday - Final chance to sign free agents. Set your roster for spring training, set draft lists for the draft.

Friday - Get rosters ready for opening day. Season is run Friday night. Must be under salary cap to avoid penalty.

Saturday - Currently open night.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thanks Alan. I swapped 'em.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

Any takers?

I really don't think its confusing, I just think that it is the nature of a league that goes this fast-paced, that issues arise. I think it would be nice if that was one of the tasks of the BOC, to update the schedule every year with needed language.

I have submitted my file, even though I have 10k to spend on guys, which means I'm going after nobody, sad because Artie Wiley just wants to come home, but he won't take a min sal deal

Another question, with the movement of the VL FA up to match ours, will we still have FA signings at all until the start of FA? I know there will be guys released at the start of the season that are available, so I was wondering about if those guys will still be available? I would like to lobby against the latter, as I really like the light schedule on the weekends, so not having to worry at all about FA's would be quite nice
Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

will we still have FA signings at all until the start of FA

Well, the same guys who are in the pool at the start of the season/end of spring training, will be there at the end of the season/pre-Classic file.

Status quo, it'll stay the same, but I don't imagine it'll be an issue that we'll have to really consider since there won't be any talent worth trying to lock up and if there is, it won't be anything notable.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #30
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
I really don't think its confusing, I just think that it is the nature of a league that goes this fast-paced, that issues arise. I think it would be nice if that was one of the tasks of the BOC, to update the schedule every year with needed language.

I have submitted my file, even though I have 10k to spend on guys, which means I'm going after nobody, sad because Artie Wiley just wants to come home, but he won't take a min sal deal

Another question, with the movement of the VL FA up to match ours, will we still have FA signings at all until the start of FA? I know there will be guys released at the start of the season that are available, so I was wondering about if those guys will still be available? I would like to lobby against the latter, as I really like the light schedule on the weekends, so not having to worry at all about FA's would be quite nice

Even if you don't want to worry about whatever FA scraps are there, you'll likely want to try to negotiate contract extensions for your players during that time anyways.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Magic is exporting and then we'll sim to FA!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1973 AWARD WINNERS

CL MVP: Holden Matthews, Atlanta
2nd: Arthur Summers, Baltimore
3rd: Carlos Vazquez, Atlanta

RL MVP: Jason Curtis, Boston
2nd: Mac Rasmussen, Quad City
3rd: John Hunt, Boston

CL Pitcher of the Year: Pedro Ortiz, Atlanta
2nd: Whit O'Neal, Valdosta
3rd: David Barajas, Atlanta

RL Pitcher of the Year: Rob Goodwin, Colorado
2nd: Craig Davis, Colorado
3rd: Harry Mason, Quad City

CL Rookie of the Year: Pablo Garcia, Valdosta
2nd: Masahiko Kokawa, Baltimore
3rd: Alejandro Trujillo, Brooklyn

RL Rookie of the Year: Leslie Davis, Ann Arbor
2nd: Oscar Livingstone, Compton
3rd: Roger Moore, Columbus
Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is packing now. Dunham, the VL outfielder ended up signing with Toronto. The major players -- Wiley and Payton -- are both still on the market.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-01-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #34
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
File is packing now. Dunham, the VL outfielder ended up signing with Toronto. The major players -- Wiley and Payton -- are both still on the market.

well isnt that gonna be interesting
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Muns got that Russian pitcher
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #36
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Muns got that Russian pitcher

I would like to move the Brownstones to Hartford. There is clearly something in the water there
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #37
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I would like to move the Brownstones to Hartford. There is clearly something in the water there

Ahhh here with go with this shit again damnit

lol without looking at the file I think i offered him a one year 3 mil deal??? Did anyone else beat that??
Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #38
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ahhh here with go with this shit again damnit

lol without looking at the file I think i offered him a one year 3 mil deal??? Did anyone else beat that??

I know I didn't. I only offered a MLC because I have no cap room to spend. The interesting thing will be is he still on your roster since the game says that a one-year deal goes on the 1973 payroll.

Edit: Nevermind, I see now it says 1974. Which brings up a dumb bug in the game that uses the 1973 payroll to sign players for the 1974 year.

Last edited by Commo_Soldier : 09-01-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #39
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know I didn't. I only offered a MLC because I have no cap room to spend. The interesting thing will be is he still on your roster since the game says that a one-year deal goes on the 1973 payroll.

my bad I meant to say a 2 year deal.... I dont think i flubbed that one up, but i honestly dont remember.... I may have

let me open it up in game and look at my pending offers.... I know i offered Bostons pitcher maddux a 2 year deal
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #40
muns
Pro Starter

Correction, I clearly dont have any idea what the heck im talking about... I offered him a 2 year deal totaling 3.6 mil......
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #41
muns
Pro Starter

Did Pat Maddox sign with anyone?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up. 20.67 MB.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #43
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:

Hee. I offered 500k over 2 years. Figured it wouldn't work, but thought I might sneak a lowball in.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #44
muns
Pro Starter

pissed isnt even the word for what happened to me tonight......sigh.... i have to resign Minor as he didnt accept what he wanted for his contract extension and is back in the FA market....... You even get burned by doing that..... tough luck

luckily im only at 18.2 million spent

Last edited by muns : 09-01-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #45
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I was wondering how Miner was on the market again. I had Zane 'Martini' Ball reject my meet demand offer. I am just glad Lang accepted his cheap 3 year $20.4 million deal after I voided his $17.5 million deal this year. Did Miner turn down a meet demand offer or did you try to get cute with the contract? Either way that sucks.

Last edited by Commo_Soldier : 09-01-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #46
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Just was looking at the Financial report. Man are you under the cap heading into this FA period Muns.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #47
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was wondering how Miner was on the market again. I had Zane 'Martini' Ball reject my meet demand offer. I am just glad Lang accepted his cheap 3 year $20.4 million deal after I voided his $17.5 million deal this year. Did Miner turn down a meet demand offer or did you try to get cute with the contract? Either way that sucks.

Nope I didnt get cute, i get too scared to get cute, as that is the second time ive been burt by that. I actually think im gonna start upping contract offers from now on if its the last file, just to be on the safe side.

But this offseason should be a lot of fun. Ton of guys out there to be had. Besides going after Minor again, im not sure what im gonna do, as Id like to bring up my spects and let them try to develop.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #48
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Even if you don't want to worry about whatever FA scraps are there, you'll likely want to try to negotiate contract extensions for your players during that time anyways.

Yeah, looking back, I agree with DC that we won't have many quality FA's after the VL is moved back. And I am fine with using the time to make contract extensions, as I have been doing that already. I think I overreacted just a little
Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #49
gstelmack
Pro Starter

* phew * Had to cut SP Pat Maddox (who has been pretty average the last two seasons anyway) and let MR Porter Gilbert walk, but 1B / RL MVP Jason Curtis took a bit less than he wanted to stay with us.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #50
magic_number
Mascot

CF K. Pruitt, DC...I know you are kinda busy...

In reference to one of my extentions, I made a simple error that I hope DC will fix. Concerning CF Kade Pruitt, He's at the compton AA team. I meant to click on "meet demand" for his 1 year minor league contract and instead I gave him a 1 year major league contract by mistake. If at all possible I would like him to correct this. I'm pooped (I work weekends), so I'll see you guys tomorrow evening.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, DC you fixed this b4 but it's been "un-fix" with the last file. I'm trying to avoid going over the cap...lots of stuff I have yet to learn.

I need to give Gilberto Alvarez (#22) a call up to play U-man, so I hope you can fix this b4 ST??

thanks
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote