Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #351
muns
Pro Starter

DC I have exported for tomorrow since I wont be here. Can you confirm that you got it for me?
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #352
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I assume you're talking about the catcher's arm and basestealing. Well, sabermetrics says basestealing don't matter.

From 1973 - 1975 (3 seasons), my team stole a total of 12 bases... You can read whatever you want into that statement

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #353
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
From 1973 - 1975 (3 seasons), my team stole a total of 12 bases... You can read whatever you want into that statement

That your Mr. Conservative and it plays well for you
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #354
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Surprised you gave up Padilla..... He was bad last year, but I think you would have had a very solid number 4 guy there.... Not like you dont have one now, but you know what i mean

Five starters and no relief was a real issue. He's a guy that could win 12 games or lose 15. I didn't really have the patience for that this year and I have enough young ??? type guys that I needed to begin testing or else, the trades I made to get to this point -- frankly suspect moves to the nth -- would have been foolhardy at best.

Luckily, I have a 3 year window with the team I've built now with minimal changes to be made, so this isn't a year I expect us to do anything crazy, it's a test to see how we come together and gel and then see what we need to do get over the hump.

But we're a contender now, versus before when we were just poised to be at the middle of the standings as a team that was recalling how '75 was the glory year.

Not that I suspect we'll get back there anytime soon, just saying..at least now I expect us to do well and will be disappointed if we don't, versus say, playing and hoping to win 75 games.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #355
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

That loud crash sound you heard were the collective careers of Whit O'Neal and Rick Inman hitting the wall of old age.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #356
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Step back

Well I hate to say, but I think I took a step back this season...
I failed to upgrade the 5th spot in my rotation, my bullpen which was weak is only slightly better (but older), and I failed to improve at SS.
My lineup is chalked full of platoons, which will leave me in trouble versus any team with a boat load of lefty relievers. i struck out chasing the wrong FA's, and released a few players I shouldn't of to make cap room for guys I didn't end up getting. I think I may have out-strategized myself...I should of just kept it simple...
I don't see me competing this year ...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 10-02-2008 at 11:25 PM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #357
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Five starters and no relief was a real issue. He's a guy that could win 12 games or lose 15. I didn't really have the patience for that this year and I have enough young ??? type guys that I needed to begin testing or else, the trades I made to get to this point -- frankly suspect moves to the nth -- would have been foolhardy at best.

Luckily, I have a 3 year window with the team I've built now with minimal changes to be made, so this isn't a year I expect us to do anything crazy, it's a test to see how we come together and gel and then see what we need to do get over the hump.

But we're a contender now, versus before when we were just poised to be at the middle of the standings as a team that was recalling how '75 was the glory year.

Not that I suspect we'll get back there anytime soon, just saying..at least now I expect us to do well and will be disappointed if we don't, versus say, playing and hoping to win 75 games.

I totally get what your saying, and I know relief was an issue... Just surprised you picked Padilla to deal as he has been an all star 2 out of the last 3 years. You know what your doing though, I was just making conversation
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #358
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
That loud crash sound you heard were the collective careers of Whit O'Neal and Rick Inman hitting the wall of old age.

Inman I think should still be ok... Oneil on the other hand... Sorry to see that happen to him and ya Alan..
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #359
kaosfere
College Prospect

Alrighty, stats gone over, team's built.

I'll preview a bit tomorrow, but I'm a bit less optimistic than I was last night.

I think this is Baltimore's year in the CL, with Valdosta and Texas duking it out for runner up, and Toronto, Brooklyn, and New York fighting for a single spot above .500.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #360
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I don't see me competing this year ...

You're funny.
SBL:
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #361
magic_number
Mascot

X-up... I wonder what poor Bplayer is gonna miss out playing this year b/c of him being a late MAXCAP scratch... maybe we should have a "mop-up" FA on fri & sim sat... or ... maybe just have maxcap enforced b4 ST??? or do nothing & get on w/the show....I'm good any way we go

M#, out.
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #362
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Inman I think should still be ok... Oneil on the other hand... Sorry to see that happen to him and ya Alan..

Yup...Nothing gold can stay....stay gold Ponyboy, stay gold

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #363
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Inman's ratings look ok, but his stats won't be. By the end of the season, his ratings will have dropped to match the level of stats he'll put up. Going to be a tough decision how much to play him this season, because by the end of the year he'll be hitting under .265

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #364
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_number View Post
X-up... I wonder what poor Bplayer is gonna miss out playing this year b/c of him being a late MAXCAP scratch... maybe we should have a "mop-up" FA on fri & sim sat... or ... maybe just have maxcap enforced b4 ST??? or do nothing & get on w/the show....I'm good any way we go

M#, out.

ok I have no idea what the hell you just said
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #365
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Alrighty, stats gone over, team's built.

I'll preview a bit tomorrow, but I'm a bit less optimistic than I was last night.

I think this is Baltimore's year in the CL, with Valdosta and Texas duking it out for runner up, and Toronto, Brooklyn, and New York fighting for a single spot above .500.

Okay, I do think I am not as good as I was last year, but you have me curious. Where do you have the Firecrackers?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #366
Anthony
Banned

i'm liking my team. i aquired some guys i think will be able to play lights out in my park. on the road...that's another story. my pitching isn't in a shambles like i initially thought. BJ Silver is now the clear ace of this staff, and i'm VERY greatful for landing Bruno from free agency. i'd like one more rock solid SP, and i don't know if Pablo Gonzalez is that guy. he's playing for a contract so anything can happen.

Joe Smith, my excellent contact/speed/glove OF, is gonna be the fall of this team. everything points to him not having such a prominent role in the lineup, but man - 100 contact and speed! how do you not put him in the top of the lineup?? that having been said i looked at his stats and he strikes out too much and doesn't walk at all to garner such a high spot in the lineup. i have him batting 5th/6th this season, hopefully his strikeouts cause less damage further down the the lineup. tis a shame to waste that speed, but hopefully he makes the middle/latter part of the lineup a little more potent with his game changing speed.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-02-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #367
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

M#, out.

Heh, wish there was an easy way to handle things like that. But such is the way things go in a fast sim league.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #368
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You're funny.

i'm serious....My hope rest on three players...Ewing who is good, but not the 60vorp good that carried my offense last season, Sanchez who had a 5.9 vorp last season despite AWESOME ratings, and costa who had a -3.9 vorp last season despite AWESOME ratings...if those guys don't light it up, I'll be chasing tail lights.
Rating wise I can match up to all but Muns, but I have many players who do not play up to their ratings...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #369
muns
Pro Starter

Kaos you bum... If i wanted Alan to have MR- Tim Hanson I would have traded him over there to him

Last edited by muns : 10-02-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #370
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
i'm serious....My hope rest on three players...Ewing who is good, but not the 60vorp good that carried my offense last season, Sanchez who had a 5.9 vorp last season despite AWESOME ratings, and costa who had a -3.9 vorp last season despite AWESOME ratings...if those guys don't light it up, I'll be chasing tail lights.
Rating wise I can match up to all but Muns, but I have many players who do not play up to their ratings...

I think youll be alright too. I think the game took a dump on a few of your guys at the same time, like it tends to do, but I think youll bounce back this season.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #371
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Okay, I do think I am not as good as I was last year, but you have me curious. Where do you have the Firecrackers?

Oh, hrm. I only just now looked at your AAA roster. You tucked a bunch of guys there for the spring!

Let me revise my thoughts. :P
SBL:
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #372
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well.. I think the way this season is going to unfold for me is....

The fate of my team rests on the arm of Joel Garner

You don't understand how worrisome that is for me.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #373
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, hrm. I only just now looked at your AAA roster. You tucked a bunch of guys there for the spring!

Let me revise my thoughts. :P

lol...sorry for the confusion. Now you see why I am a little surprised to go 13-11 in spring training!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #374
Anthony
Banned

Violators were exactly a .500 team last season. with the upgrades i made i definitely think we're above .500. if we won 77 games last year with some of the guys i was trotting out, we should be able to pick up at least 10 more games. if this team isn't 10 more games better than last season then OOTP is seriously one messed up game. i'm not even looking strictly at ratings. the only thing i can think of that could really hinder the Violators is maybe not setting up my strategy good enough.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-02-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #375
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Violators were exactly a .500 team last season. with the upgrades i made i definitely think we're above .500. if we won 77 games last year with some of the guys i was trotting out, we should be able to pick up at least 10 more games. if this team isn't 10 more games better than last season then OOTP is seriously one messed up game. i'm not even looking strictly at ratings. the only thing i can think of that could really hinder the Violators is maybe not setting up my strategy good enough.

I haven't paid close enough attention to your team, although I know you have gotten better. But I have to say, the leap from 77 to 87 games is, erm, not small. It's going to be a very interesting year in both leagues (especially if Alan's doomsaying is true for once, although, well, let's say I have my doubts ).

Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #376
Tasan
College Starter

Sometimes I hate OOTP.

I just spent 3 hours doing all my lineups, roster moves, and individual strategy for every ML player, clicked the home tab and it crashed. Lost EVERYTHING.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #377
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:

M#, out.

I can tell you two right now.

1B Lopez and 2B Haas. I intended to keep Haas this year, but the last minute trade I made forced a cap issue and he was expendable. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #378
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Another OOTP setting question.

If you have a spot starter set at 20%, does that mean he will step in for the fifth starter, or every game where he isn't tired, there will be a die roll to determine if he will start instead of that day's pitcher?

And, as an addendum, is there any way to be sure to have the spot starter only come in for a particular spot in the rotation?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #379
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just cut Andres Aguilera.

I didn't want to soil his history with a season in AAA from me. I think he may be done, and he was the odd man out in the outfield for me now with his ratings slide....
Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 AM   #380
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I just cut Andres Aguilera.

I didn't want to soil his history with a season in AAA from me. I think he may be done, and he was the odd man out in the outfield for me now with his ratings slide....

I hear ya. The following players have adorned the Atlanta MLB roster, or someone's roster in the past two years:

SP Martin Austin (50-75-81)--in ATL rotation 2 yrs ago
SP Wilbur Scott (72-60-74)--in ATL rotation 2 yrs ago
MR Eugene Mills (63-78-85)--main role in CGO pen 2 yrs ago
MR Andres Cruz (80-49-79)--main role in ATL pen 2 yrs ago
MR Ramon Fernandez (95-64-65)--main role in ATL pen 2 yrs ago
2B Gilbert Jette (72-94-31-78-95)--ATL platoon starter at 2B last yr
2B Terry Harper (76-78-13-60-62)--other ATL platoon starter at 2B last yr
3B Gerald Numbers (75-66-76-74-40)--NOL backup INF
LF Christian Williams (69-74-53-40-38)--ATL starting LF 2 yrs ago
RF Jorge Aguirre (78-66-58-56-72)--ATL platoon starter in RF last yr

and that doesn't even mention LF Cisco Gonzalez, who has not yet played in the majors--and has a 98 CON (and has for over a season now).

All of the above players did not make the cut to the Firecrackers' roster this year. I haven't done final cuts at AAA yet, but they may not even make the cut there.

We probably all have similar stories, too. Scary talent in this league.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #381
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Of course, none of those guys are on the level of an Aquilera--just making the point of how much talent is out there. It's actually a good time to expand from a talent standpoint, I think. Maybe no other reason, but there is that.

I could have cut Prado the last two years, but chose not to. He finally retired, I think, after I released him this past offseason. Of course, I was unable to confirm this because OOTP makes trying to find the old transaction list as difficult as freakin' possible.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #382
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another OOTP setting question.

If you have a spot starter set at 20%, does that mean he will step in for the fifth starter, or every game where he isn't tired, there will be a die roll to determine if he will start instead of that day's pitcher?

And, as an addendum, is there any way to be sure to have the spot starter only come in for a particular spot in the rotation?

The spot starter is supposed to only take place of the 5th starter spot on the percentage that you set. That said, if you have use highest rated starter + a spot starter, don't expect anything to work as planned.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #383
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The spot starter is supposed to only take place of the 5th starter spot on the percentage that you set. That said, if you have use highest rated starter + a spot starter, don't expect anything to work as planned.

Thanks Alan. When you use a strict order (as it is ideally), do you find the game usually operates that way (as it is supposed to)?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #384
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks Alan. When you use a strict order (as it is ideally), do you find the game usually operates that way (as it is supposed to)?

I don't really use spot starters ever. I haven't even tested them any in this version of OOTP. Most of my testing with them was in older versions. Even then, the way I used spot starters wasn't really the same way that you intend to use them. I would however expect to see if you use strict rotation and your spot starter set to 20%, that your spot starter would start 6 games during the season. Just no telling when or where.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #385
magic_number
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Sometimes I hate OOTP.

I just spent 3 hours doing all my lineups, roster moves, and individual strategy for every ML player, clicked the home tab and it crashed. Lost EVERYTHING.

BAD!!!
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #386
magic_number
Mascot

Quote:
Of course, none of those guys are on the level of an Aquilera--just making the point of how much talent is out there. It's actually a good time to expand from a talent standpoint, I think. Maybe no other reason, but there is that.

I could have cut Prado the last two years, but chose not to. He finally retired, I think, after I released him this past offseason. Of course, I was unable to confirm this because OOTP makes trying to find the old transaction list as difficult as freakin' possible.

Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #387
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Spot starters pitch in place of the 5th starter, the percentage of the times you put him in there.

Last year, for instance, I wanted a 5 man but wanted him to split with the 5th guy half of the time. Well I forgot to turn off 6-man rotation and so, the spot guy became my 6th starter.

So anyway, the spot starter(s) always pitch in place of the 5th starter.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #388
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lopez ended up signing with Long Island.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #389
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1978 Season Thread - Front Office Football Central
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote