Hall Of Famer

Civale just laid a giant turd.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #752
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wonder how many ballparks that wouldn't even be a homerun?

29? I said the same thing.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #753
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I assume it’s common knowledge but every Padres playoff game takes 1 game off Tatis’s suspension. Was going to miss 33 next year and now will miss something like 21 at the most.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #754
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Another yankee stadium homer
Old 10-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #755
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stanton: 3 of 30
Judge: 27 of 30

courtesy of https://twitter.com/would_it_dong
Old 10-19-2022, 06:54 AM   #756
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I don't know how you'd get a kid interested these days. They'd be reaching for their favored gaming or social media device between every pitch.

To be fair, all of us are reaching for our favorite gaming or social media device when watching sports in 2022. Whether it is for fantasy, social media reaction/content, trash talk in the group chat, etc., we all are doing something else whether are breaks in the actual game play.

Having now watched baseball from 9U to JV baseball pretty intimately and college/MLB regularly, the difference between MLB and baseball at the other levels is stark. I don't see that in basketball, football or even soccer. I am not talking about the quality of play either. No matter how much I may hate the 3 pointer/layups/ free throws sameness of the NBA or the RPO sameness in the NFL, when I look at those sports at lower levels, it is obvious to me that it is the same game that the pros are playing. I have no clue if the rules changes will work or not. I am not trying to fix baseball. It is just something that has stood out especially when watching and discussing the game with a youth baseball player who is telling me what his coaches would tell the team to do and comparing it with what we are seeing in MLB.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #757
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
To be fair, all of us are reaching for our favorite gaming or social media device when watching sports in 2022.

It's been years since I've not multi-tasked while a game was on. Might be a few moments now & then but that's it. And I'm a long way from being a kid anymore.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-19-2022 at 07:14 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #758
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm sure nobody ever watched a baseball game while reading a magazine or newspaper, playing a board game, talking on the phone before.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:39 AM   #759
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure nobody ever watched a baseball game while reading a magazine or newspaper, playing a board game, talking on the phone before.

Thats what I love about baseball, it is great to have on in the background. No one on and 2 outs, keep gaming, reading, doing laundry, etc...2 on and one out, pay attention. Sure you may miss a solo HR occasionally but whatever.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #760
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's how I've watched baseball for about 15 years now and why, despite the fact that I've bought the MLB package for like 20 years in a row, I couldn't name 10 players on teams I actually root for and routinely hear about guys for the first time who have been performing well for a couple years. Like, this year, there's apparently a pitcher for the Dbacks who has thrown 200 innings and I'd never heard the name before (and don't remember it now).

So it kinda cuts both ways - it's great for casual background noise and I tune in a lot but it's also lessened my connection and deep knowledge of the current game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #761
cuervo72
Head Coach

I almost feel bad wearing Phillies stuff anymore -- I root for them, but if someone asks me a question about them requiring any kind of depth I wouldn't be able to answer it. I'm lucky if I could name five players on their roster.

The difference between my knowledge now vs. the 80s where I would pore over newspaper stats, collect baseball cards, watch about 4 games a week and catch SportsCenter regularly is staggering.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #762
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's how I've watched baseball for about 15 years now and why, despite the fact that I've bought the MLB package for like 20 years in a row, I couldn't name 10 players on teams I actually root for and routinely hear about guys for the first time who have been performing well for a couple years. Like, this year, there's apparently a pitcher for the Dbacks who has thrown 200 innings and I'd never heard the name before (and don't remember it now)..

Merrill Kelly? He was their only 200 IP guy this season (if that's what you meant) and has 97 career starts for them over the past 4 years.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #763
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I could maybe name 3 guys in the Yankees bullpen and they all pitched last night.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #764
Ksyrup

Yeah Kelly is it. Never heard of him until I saw something about him throwing 200 innings in a regular season wrap-up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #765
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stanton looks ridiculous with a glove.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:57 PM   #766
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah Kelly is it. Never heard of him until I saw something about him throwing 200 innings in a regular season wrap-up.

Just a 78 (silver) in MLB The Show, so Lord knows he's not been anyone I've followed closely lol
Old 10-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #767
miami_fan
Coordinator

Segura taketh away, Segura giveth, Segura taketh away again.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #768
miami_fan
Coordinator

The 6th best team in the NL has made the World Series.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #769
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

They haven't been playing like the 6th best.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #770
Ksyrup

That bunt decision... Yeesh. Caitlin's senior year of HS we made the state tournament and at the time it was double elimination. Loaded the bases with 2 outs in the 7th in the elimination game with a slapper coming to bat - against an all-world pitcher (if you follow college softball at all, you may have heard of Montana Fouts from Alabama). Coach called time to talk to her about strategy and she was bawling her eyes out she was so nervous. He had her bunt, hoping for either a perfect placement or an error. They handled it and ended Caitlin's career.

I always assumed if we had several MLB hitters on the bench, he would have pinch hit instead of bunted. After today, I guess the answer is not so clear.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-23-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:56 AM   #771
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I totally thought Rob Thomson was the guy who played 2b for the Giants in the 80s
Old 10-24-2022, 01:10 AM   #772
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I totally thought Rob Thomson was the guy who played 2b for the Giants in the 80s

Wait, it's not?

{googles}

Well I'll be damned.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-24-2022 at 01:10 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #773
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Robby Thompson is that 2B

I loved those Giants teams. Clark, Mitchell, Williams, Thompson, Butler

Never could win the big one. Earthquake series and the Roids Brothers only WS appearance IIRC
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #774
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Robby Thompson is that 2B

Yeah, that part I remembered correctly.

It's just that, until this thread, I didn't realize that wasn't the spelling of the Phillies manager's name.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #775
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

It really feels like it comes down to whichever team is hot in October, not best team for the year. Also, it pretty much kills any and all meaning for being the best team over the course of the year.

As long as you get hot in October, and you're in position to be in the playoffs, you're money. The regular season might as well be cut in half. You'd be able to sort out the good from the bad, and teams could get hot at the right moment and still have exciting playoffs. There's simply no need for that long of a year.

And I hate all of that. Hate it.

Give me 4 divisions of 6 teams. Get rid of the Wild Card. Straight to the LCS and WS. That's it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #776
Ksyrup

Try OOTP!
Old 10-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #777
PilotMan
Head Coach

Preaching to the choir on that one. I'd probably be considered an OOTP fanboy. I buy it every year after they mark it way down and play it for that year.

Like Steam?

Old 10-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #778
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It really feels like it comes down to whichever team is hot in October, not best team for the year. Also, it pretty much kills any and all meaning for being the best team over the course of the year.

As long as you get hot in October, and you're in position to be in the playoffs, you're money. The regular season might as well be cut in half. You'd be able to sort out the good from the bad, and teams could get hot at the right moment and still have exciting playoffs. There's simply no need for that long of a year.

And I hate all of that. Hate it.

Give me 4 divisions of 6 teams. Get rid of the Wild Card. Straight to the LCS and WS. That's it.

yeah, that's not going to happen. Too many late season games would become meaningless, costing them much much money, especially with the reduced playoffs.. Never going to happen.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #779
JeeberD
General Manager

Nary a word since Monday with the World Series starting tonight? Man...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #780
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

May wanna pull him Dusty.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #781
Atocep
Coordinator

One one hand, I don't think I can stomach seeing the Phillies win another world series as a Mets fan. On the other hand seeing Harper win a world series with the Phillies after all shit he got for leaving the Nats and them winning a world series without him would be entertaining.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:31 AM   #782
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the debate today is tipping pitches or stealing signs?
Old 11-02-2022, 05:52 AM   #783
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Tipping pitches...no trashcans were involved.

My daughter gets married on Saturday, she's taking me to the game tonight as a last thing to do as a dad/daughter.

Even if the Phillies lose, they're exciting.

I watched them lose of the Joe Carter homerun while in high school. In fact, Game 2 was read out during our football game.

2008 win was bittersweet as two of my great aunts who had taken me to the Phillies as a child died the year before.

Not all Philly fans are monsters. I think this Phillies roster is far more likeable than 93s.

However it plays out, it's been an exciting series.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #784
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm a huge Mets fan but pulling for the Phillies. Houston is easy to hate after cheating their way to a series. I would love to see Thor and Wheeler get a title, and these guys are just really fun to watch. They remind me of those Kruk teams. They seem to really like each other, are exciting, and never seem out of it. In my older years my sports fandom has become far less about hating a team just because they are my teams rivals.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #785
Ksyrup

It was definitely tipping pitches. Harper specifically told Bohm what to look for and it quickly got around the dugout, it seems. That's not cheating, that's just being observant. My daughter once hit a HR because she knew what pitch was coming thanks to the opposing coach calling out the same 3 digit pitch/location code from the dugout. She took the 1st one and then he repeated the same number 2 pitches later and she deposited it over the RF fence. Kinda the same deal.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #786
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree on the tipping. I am amazed they didn't make adjustments.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #787
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So the debate today is tipping pitches or stealing signs?

Tipping pitches. His leg kick was clearly different when he was throwing a breaking ball.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #788
miami_fan
Coordinator

Umm, might want to tune in the next time the Phillies come to bat
Old 11-02-2022, 10:13 PM   #789
Ksyrup

On the contrary, I turned it off about an hour ago.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #790
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Umm, might want to tune in the next time the Phillies come to bat

You mean because of the potential no-hitter?

Like Steam?

Old 11-02-2022, 10:25 PM   #791
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fans leaving from right behind home plate with 2 outs to go?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:30 PM   #792
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Imagine paying thousands for a ticket and your team doesn’t even get a hit?
Old 11-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #793
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, I was even rooting for it for the last couple innings. Figured the game was already lost, why not.

Have to say though, the whole combined thing is just...meh. A big thing about no-nos is the personal achievement aspect, and that's really not there.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #794
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There's something bittersweet about combined no-hitters. Like, it's historical but it feels a bit less special when 4 guys did it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:34 PM   #795
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dusty Baker boooooooooooooooooooo

Like Steam?

Old 11-03-2022, 06:40 AM   #796
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 11-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #797
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

So they got people to buy hoagies and not eat them?

Elon Musk is intrigued.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #798
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Dusty Baker boooooooooooooooooooo

Hey now! Give credit when credit is due.

Repeat after me. Dusty Baker deserves credit for his masterful use of the bullpen in that game.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #799
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
There's something bittersweet about combined no-hitters. Like, it's historical but it feels a bit less special when 4 guys did it.

SI

There's a big difference in feel between "Don Larsen's perfect game" and whatever that was.

Of course, old-man baseball grumpiness is also a historic baseball tradition.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #800
Ksyrup

I laughed. I'm old.