Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #801
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Is everybody getting "the following media includes potentially sensitive content?" Yeah, it's a Simpsons meme.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #802
Ksyrup

That was a way worse loss for the Phillies than a no-hitter. Losing a 1 run game while leaving 12 on base, in game 5 headed back to Houston... Might as well have handed the trophy over last night and saved the plane fare.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-05-2022, 09:20 PM   #803
Ksyrup

Alvarado the clear goat in this world series. I can't believe they trusted him again tonight.

However, given the score of the FSU game, the Astros could tack on 2 TDs and it wouldn't kill my good vibes. It's been a nice, overachieving season for the Phillies either way.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #804
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm happy for Dusty Baker.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:23 AM   #805
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Booooooo this man!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:58 AM   #806
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Dusty Baker managed a team to a World Series title. Dusty Baker managed a team with what I am seeing described as a dominant bullpen to a World Series title. 73 year old Dusty Baker did that.

That is really really cool.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #807
Ksyrup

I suppose it's time to transition to an off-season thread but just came here to post that I just read about Chuck Carr dying of cancer at 55. I have fond memories of him as the Marlins' CF for the first few years. I seem to remember him as an Omar Moreno type - fast, but low OBP and the type of guy who was the default lead-off man prior to the SABR revolution.

Anyway, RIP.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #808
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ex-MLB player Yasiel Puig to plead guilty to lying about illegal sports bets

Quote:
The DOJ release did not reference any bets that were made on baseball. Puig played for Cincinnati and Cleveland in 2019 before becoming a free agent. He then played in the Mexican League, and last year, he signed a one-year, $1 million contact with South Korea's Kiwoom Heroes.

So he still has a chance at the Hall.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-22-2022, 09:20 AM   #809
Ksyrup

I subscribed to Craig Calcaterra's daily baseball (and other things) thoughts called Cup of Coffee earlier this year and he's offering each subscriber 3 free month-long referrals, completely free (no need to enter credit card info, no auto-renew, etc.), for anyone who might be interested. I still enjoy baseball but don't have any time to catch-up on what's going on every day, so I've found his digest a great way to keep up on scores, trades, and other things. There's also a healthy dose of mostly liberal stuff and some funny/off-beat news items that have nothing to do with baseball, so subscriber be ware. But we're basically the same age and have a lot in common (in fact, we found out that his mom went to high school with my parents), so I've enjoyed it.

Anyway, if you're interested in checking it out, DM me your name and email and I'll send a referral link.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #810
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources: Rangers, Jacob deGrom agree to 5-year, $185M deal
Old 12-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #811
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have really mixed feelings. I love him, but he is so inconsistent with his health I can't be that upset. Not because of the money, but you can't rely on him to take the ball every 5 days and you end up really screwing up the rotation.

I wish him the best. Hope he with 5 straight Cy Young awards, but I think the change of scenery is a good thing for him.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #812
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fred McGriff elected to Hall of Fame by contemporary era committee

Congrats to The Crime Dog. Also why does the Contemporary era committee exists? Or maybe a better question in why are the members of the BBWAA voting for who deserves to be in the Hall if these men and women on this panel are going to put a guy in who only received 39% of the BBWAA vote.

Quote:
Greg Maddux, Chipper Jones, Jack Morris, Ryne Sandberg, Lee Smith, Frank Thomas and Alan Trammell; Major League executives Paul Beeston, Theo Epstein, Arte Moreno, Kim Ng, Dave St. Peter and Ken Williams; and veteran media members/historians Steve Hirdt, LaVelle Neal and Susan Slusser.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:01 PM   #813
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wonder to what extent writers who were voting for players who played in the 80s idolized players from the 50s, 60s, and 70s and thus decided the players from the 80s couldn't compare and didn't bother voting for them. Seems like the decade is really underrepresented, especially pitchers.

(And I'd consider McGriff a 90s player too.)
Old 12-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #814
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Congrats to The Crime Dog. Also why does the Contemporary era committee exists? Or maybe a better question in why are the members of the BBWAA voting for who deserves to be in the Hall if these men and women on this panel are going to put a guy in who only received 39% of the BBWAA vote.

There was a point where it served a purpose. That time is gone and now it's just a group that elects friends of some of the panel members.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #815
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

It’s just funny that the list of 7 players spent the majority of their careers in just three cities (Atlanta, Chicago, and Detroit).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:48 AM   #816
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There was a point where it served a purpose. That time is gone and now it's just a group that elects friends of some of the panel members.

The vet committees have always been about electing friends. See all the players elected by Frisch and company, most are the worst players in the HOF. However, I'd argue McGriff should be in. If not for PEDs his 493 HRs look much better. He's surrounded by HOFers in most of the power leaderboards.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:06 AM   #817
Ksyrup

The only purpose of that group should be to elect Lou Whitaker and they couldn't even do that.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #818
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The only purpose of that group should be to elect Lou Whitaker and they couldn't even do that.

Second!
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #819
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All 8 of the guys on the ballot(Bonds, Clemens, McGriff, Belle, Schilling, Mattingly, Murphy, Palmerio) should have made it over Harold Baines or Ted Simmons
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #820
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I will never understand Mattingly's case for the Hall of Fame and he had the second most votes. Near as I can tell, it comes down to "most recognizable Yankee in the 80s"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #821
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
The vet committees have always been about electing friends. See all the players elected by Frisch and company, most are the worst players in the HOF. However, I'd argue McGriff should be in. If not for PEDs his 493 HRs look much better. He's surrounded by HOFers in most of the power leaderboards.

I did not realize that they had split up the Veterans Committee. The point still stands. Again I think McGriff should have been in already. But it was just three years ago when he could not get 40% of the BBWAA voters in his last year of eligibility. If the BBWA vote is so off that just three years later a committee like this unanimously votes him in, the BBWA vote is worthless.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #822
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per Jeff Passan,

Verlander to the Mets.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #823
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 12-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #824
Ksyrup

So Carlos Baerga was right. He broke the news yesterday on his IG account.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #825
Atocep
Coordinator

The Mets must have been really uncomfortable with Degrom's medicals because they didn't really make an offer and moved on quickly, paying more per year than it would have taken to keep degrom.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #826
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Per Jeff Passan,

Verlander to the Mets.

I want to make a joke about adding Verlander to Scherzer puts them in perfect position to win it all in 2013, but darnit if they both aren't still elite starters ten years later.

I feel like they should grab Bumgarner and Greinke and maybe David Price, just for fun.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #827
Ksyrup

If you're wondering why Arson Judge is trending on Twitter...

Old 12-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #828
Ksyrup

In all seriousness, this is when Twitter is at its most entertaining. If Musk ruins this, I hope he dies in a Tesla.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #829
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It would be funny if a notable reporter tweets that "Aaron Judge is a giant!"

Then follow it up a few minutes later with "Seriously, the guy is just huge. A real giant."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:28 PM   #830
Ksyrup

Well, this thread is interesting. Where there's smoke, there's arson...

Old 12-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #831
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cody Bellinger on a 1 year deal to the Cubs.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #832
Ksyrup

Seeing as though Carlos Baerga nailed the Verlander signing before everyone else, this may mean something...?

Old 12-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #833
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Judge back 9/360

Pirates win the inaugural draft lottery.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:41 PM   #834
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Red Sox have a good most of the day, (signing Jansen and a Japanese player), but then get absolutely boatraced to the signing of Xander Bogaerts.

11 years.

$280 Million

I love the guy, but I don't love him that much. (our offer was something like 6-7 years for just short of $200 million
Old 12-08-2022, 12:05 AM   #835
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know bogaerts is better than Kim or Croenenworth but both of those guys are pretty affordable. Dunno what the padres are really thinking here. I’d have thought keeping Profar and possibly Bell would be a better use of resources.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:25 AM   #836
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At that length, thank Bogaerts for his service and move on.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #837
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

His last season under that contract he will be 41. There is a good chance he’s a liability for half of that contract. I still don’t understand why baseball GMs sign there players into their 40s so consistently at premium dollars.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:22 AM   #838
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Padres have gone from young and exciting to old, bloated, and expensive real fast. I mean, their payroll isn't that high because of so many young players but, man, that's a lot of big, ugly contracts they have on that team.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #839
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I still don’t understand why baseball GMs sign there players into their 40s so consistently at premium dollars.

Because that's what the players want. And if Team A is willing to do it, then Team B needs to match it or lose out on the player.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #840
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just keep tossing the old guys the juiced balls, they'll be fine.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:34 PM   #841
miami_fan
Coordinator

Report - Giants postpone Carlos Correa intro for medical concern
Old 12-21-2022, 05:15 AM   #842
miami_fan
Coordinator

Change 2 to Correa going to the Padres. He is heading to the Mets.

Source: Carlos Correa agrees to 12-year, $315M deal with Mets

EDIT: Pending a physical of course.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-21-2022 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #843
Swaggs
Coordinator

It must feel good to be a Mets fan these days. They have had one of the best 2-year runs for acquiring talent that I have ever seen in sports.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:17 AM   #844
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It must feel good to be a Mets fan these days. They have had one of the best 2-year runs for acquiring talent that I have ever seen in sports.

As a Mets fan for almost 40 years I can tell you it never feels good to be a Mets fan...
Old 12-21-2022, 07:23 AM   #845
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Correa always felt a bit overrated to me. Career high 26 HR, never topped 100 RBI, hit .300 only once. History of injury. He had a nice year last year, but thats a pretty long contract for a guy who has never had an MVP caliber season and for most of his career was surrounded by a lot of protection in the lineup.

That being said it is Uncle Steves money and I am glad he is spending it. Personally I would have liked to see what Baty could do at third over a long stretch, but I'm not upset about the signing.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:19 AM   #846
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Correa always felt a bit overrated to me. Career high 26 HR, never topped 100 RBI, hit .300 only once. History of injury. He had a nice year last year, but thats a pretty long contract for a guy who has never had an MVP caliber season and for most of his career was surrounded by a lot of protection in the lineup.

That being said it is Uncle Steves money and I am glad he is spending it. Personally I would have liked to see what Baty could do at third over a long stretch, but I'm not upset about the signing.

He'll shift to 3rd, but he's probably been a better defender at short than Lindor. Remove the shortened 2020 season and he's averaged over 5 WAR per year and his 2021 season was a top 5 MVP finish.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #847
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to Bloomberg Cohen has made 1.8 billion during the past year. He could double the current payroll of the Mets and still be profitable. Nobody will remember the Steve Cohen that made a healthy profit on a safe investment, but he'll be remembered forever if he makes the Mets into a dynasty.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #848
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He'll shift to 3rd, but he's probably been a better defender at short than Lindor. Remove the shortened 2020 season and he's averaged over 5 WAR per year and his 2021 season was a top 5 MVP finish.

I'm not a big fan of the advanced stats, and yes, I know he will move to third, hence the Baty comment who I suspect will be trade bait.

It isn't that I'm not happy to have him, like I said, not my money, he has just never struck me as a bona fied superstar.

I hope he is great for the Mets and leads them to a title. The guy has just never stuck out to me.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #849
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brian Reynolds is def getting traded on Friday. They will go to the classic tactic of burying it over the holiday weekend and also with Franco(RIP) dying and the number retirement ceremony it won’t get much coverage
Old 12-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #850
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Correa basically seems like a slightly better, younger Lindor and Lindor is one of the 5 or 6 best shortstops in the league. The other good thing for the Mets (and Phillies) is that the Braves lost out on the shortstop musical chairs.