Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #51
bhlloy
Coordinator

Anyone watching the u21 final? Incredible start considering these two teams have only conceded once the whole tournament

bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #52
whomario
Pro Starter

Spain was scary good all tournament, guess the golden generation will be replaced rather seemlessly afterall ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Tahiti Scores! We have the Miracle on Grass....

I just want to know how the crap Tahiti made it to the Confederations Cup.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #54
bhlloy
Coordinator

Basically beat New Zealand... Since Australia is in the Asian confederation now Oceania is a very sad region. They don't even get a guaranteed World Cup spot but the confederations cup is more of a friendly tournament.

Spain U21 are scary good, like a mini Barcelona team the way they play. Certainly replacing class with class
Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #55
Butter
Coordinator

I see. I was just looking that up and see that the 4th Place CONCACAF gets to play New Zealand (the already determined OFC champion) for the right to go to 2014 WC. I guess that's why Australia wanted out?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #56
whomario
Pro Starter

didn´t even have to beat New Zealand, the Kiwis somehow lost to New Caledonia in the semifinal.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #57
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I see. I was just looking that up and see that the 4th Place CONCACAF gets to play New Zealand (the already determined OFC champion) for the right to go to 2014 WC. I guess that's why Australia wanted out?

as far as i remember it, Australia wanted out due to lack of competition holding their development back. Then after they switched, FIFA adjusted the qualification process.
(so Australia didn´t go out for better chance but went out of OFC despite facing tougher odds in Asia)

EDIT: OK, FIFA did adjust it but only changing the confederations that´d go up against each other. So they propably alos though it´d be easier (or at least less random) doing it in Asia.

Last edited by whomario : 06-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #58
dacman
College Benchwarmer

They should just lump Oceania into Asia and split it geographically -- would hopefully help with some of the ridiculous travel. Just check South Korea's road trips in their qualifying group (Lebanon, Kuwait, UAE).
Old 06-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #59
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Anyone watching the u21 final? Incredible start considering these two teams have only conceded once the whole tournament
I was impressed by the Italians' playing style in he semi finals. They are clearly ready to play old school demolition-football.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #60
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
EDIT: OK, FIFA did adjust it but only changing the confederations that´d go up against each other. So they propably alos though it´d be easier (or at least less random) doing it in Asia.
These matchups were drawn, fwiw.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
They should just lump Oceania into Asia and split it geographically -- would hopefully help with some of the ridiculous travel. Just check South Korea's road trips in their qualifying group (Lebanon, Kuwait, UAE).
Somehow I think it's easier for South Korea to visit those states than visiting the tiny countries of the Oceania confederation.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #62
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ALTIGOL!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #63
kingfc22
Head Coach

JOZY!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #64
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jozy!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Zusi has been fabulous in his setups tonight. Great to see him playing so well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #66
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What? Tied for the longest goal-scoring streak in US history??

To think that's true with all the crap we give him is kinda mind-blowing.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Zusi has been fabulous in his setups tonight. Great to see him playing so well.

Him + Fabian Johnson make all the difference in the world in getting the ball in from wide areas.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-18-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Him + Fabian Johnson make all the difference in the world in getting the ball in from wide areas.

Really should be a couple more goals on the board for the U.S. Some poor finishing by the strikers tonight.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #69
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #70
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
What? Tied for the longest goal-scoring streak in US history??

To think that's true with all the crap we give him is kinda mind-blowing.
Good for Jozy Altidore. He's been awesome this past season, especially the past months, yet Klinsmann looked desperate to find excuses to keep him out of the squad. Ironic how things can flow.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-19-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #71
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Good for Jozy Altidore. He's been awesome this past season, especially the past months, yet Klinsmann looked desperate to find excuses to keep him out of the squad. Ironic how things can flow.

Or maybe, it was motivation.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #72
whomario
Pro Starter

So this Neymar fella is looking pretty good so far. Will be interesting to see him against Italy and hopefully later on Spain.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #73
cschex
High School Varsity

He was amazing yesterday. Also, that Kagawa goal against Italy was fantastic
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #74
cougarfreak
College Starter

I read recently that something like all 1300 premier league games will be available to watch via NBC affiliates and online through NBC this upcoming season. That's awesome.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #75
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I read recently that something like all 1300 premier league games will be available to watch via NBC affiliates and online through NBC this upcoming season. That's awesome.

This

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #76
Easy Mac

Will lead to a lot of divorces.

"what honey? I'll have to cut the grass later, I'm only halfway through the 120,000 minutes of premier league soccer I'm watching over the next 9 months."
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #77
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
That's quite impressive for a league that has only 380 games.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #78
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ridiculous goal by Delofeu for the Spain U-20''s against the US.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #79
DeToxRox
Head Coach

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder4h
Liverpool have Ł9m bid accepted for Simon Mignolet as Sunderland move for striker Jozy Altidore Liverpool have Ł9m bid accepted for Simon Mignolet as Sunderland move for striker Jozy Altidore | Mail Online via @MailOnline
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Arrgh - not sure that's a good move for Jozy. He needs to be banging them in regularly in advance of the WC.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #81
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I wouldn't say the competition at Sunderland is that great. They spent money of Fletcher and Wickham in recent seasons, but they are hardly world-beaters.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #82
bhlloy
Coordinator

He was linked to Cardiff earlier this offseason. It would have been really to have a US forward who wasn't completely terrible after Eddie Johnson scoring one goal the entire season a few years back
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #83
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I wouldn't say the competition at Sunderland is that great. They spent money of Fletcher and Wickham in recent seasons, but they are hardly world-beaters.

It's who they play against that I'm more worried about, not his competition for a place, but the difficulty he might have in scoring.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #84
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's who they play against that I'm more worried about, not his competition for a place, but the difficulty he might have in scoring.

If the US wants to get a better team, they need some more players to prove themselves against top flight competition. Altidore is among the few who might have a shot at this.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #85
Easy Mac

So it's true, if a teammate doesn't set it up perfectly for Chicharito, he can't score.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #86
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
If the US wants to get a better team, they need some more players to prove themselves against top flight competition. Altidore is among the few who might have a shot at this.

He's better than Sunderland at this point
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #87
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
He's better than Sunderland at this point

I'd say playing for any non yo-yo EPL club is a nice next step for Joze.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-23-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #88
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I'd say playing for any non yo-yo EPL club is a nice next step for Joze.

Don't underestimate the coaching and tactical aspect of learning at a team - for instance Stoke aren't a 'yo-yo' Premiership club, but if you're aiming to become a World Class player then I wouldn't recommend joining them as a youngster ...

(nothing against Stoke per-se, they hammered Brighton last year and play a good solid competitive style of football - but its a style which is self-limiting and will never win them the Premiership title, its hard to break down and is intent on maximizing the effectiveness of limited players (comparative to the best say Man Utd or Chelsea stars) rather than grooming World class players ...)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-24-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #89
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I get your point, but Joze isn't going to be world class and playing for Sunderland and excelling could get him a job at Liverpool/Tottenham/Newcastle next.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #90
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My cousin and I took his 7 year old to his first pro soccer game on Saturday, to see FC Dallas host Sporting Kansas City. It looked like it was going to be a 2-0 loss for the home team, but Dallas scored 2 goals in the last 3 minutes to escape with a tie.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #91
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So.. 18 of 20 Serie A teams raided by the police on tax evasion (only Bologna and Cagliari avoided the police).. 43 teams across the top 3 divisions and 12 player agents were raided. Yikes. Yet another blemish on Italian football
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

The same could be said for Turkish football

Fenerbahce given Champions League ban, Besiktas given Europa ban - ESPN FC
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As I teased DT, the very definition of chutzpah is making an eight figure purchase (Carlos Tevez to Juve for 12 millionpounds) the same day you're raided by tax police.

Although this keeps Juventus in line with AC Milan in the "Mercurial Striker" competition.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #94
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This Italy-Spain Confed Cup match has been awesome. The score is 0-0 late, but there have been tons of close calls for each team.

Last edited by cartman : 06-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #95
cartman
Death Herald

Going to PKs
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #96
whomario
Pro Starter

The WC will be pretty unusual, the climate is definitely going to be a factor (not just the Heat, but the humidity) and if this tournament is any indication: The european style of pressuring high up the pitch and quick hitting attacks might not be the ideal tactic this time around.
The brasilians might actually have a shot next year, was pretty aparent that they dealt with the conditions really well and got better as the game went on.

Also, the games next year will be played at earlier start times afaic.

Last edited by whomario : 06-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #97
cartman
Death Herald

Spain wins on the 7th PK
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #98
cartman
Death Herald

It will be interesting to see if Brazil ends Spain's amazing unbeaten run. Can't wait for the final.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #99
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
The WC will be pretty unusual, the climate is definitely going to be a factor (not just the Heat, but the humidity) and if this tournament is any indication: The european style of pressuring high up the pitch and quick hitting attacks might not be the ideal tactic this time around.
The brasilians might actually have a shot next year, was pretty aparent that they dealt with the conditions really well and got better as the game went on.

Also, the games next year will be played at earlier start times afaic.

There is also the possibility of near freezing temperatures in Port Alegre and Curitiba in the south of Brazil. One of the teams in Group E will need to play two games in colder conditions, then fly to the far north to play in one of the hottest cities.

As for kickoff times, 24 matches kick off at 1pm, 11 at 4pm, 18 at 5pm, 10 at 7pm and 1 at 10pm. All times mentioned are Brasília official time.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #100
cartman
Death Herald

One amazing streak will end today. It will be either's Spain's 29 game unbeaten streak, stretching back to the 2010 World Cup, or Brazil's streak of not losing a competitive game at home since 1975.