Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

College Football Coaching Changes Thread

These have been sprinkled through the various weekly threads. I wanted to have a thread to discuss the coaching changes in general but specifically the situations and expectations of the various jobs. Here are the coaches that have been fired/resigned/retired so far.

Houston Nutt-Arkansas
Guy Morriss- Baylor
Sonny Lubick- Colorado State
Ted Roof- Duke
Chan Gailey-Georgia Tech
Lloyd Carr- Michigan
Ed Orgeron-Mississippi
Bill Callahan- Nebraska
Joe Novak- Northern Illinois
Phil Bennett-SMU
Jeff Bower-Southern Miss
Dennis Franchione- Texas A&M
Bill Doba- Washington State

Of course Nutt is now at Mississippi and Mike Sherman has taken over at A&M. I have no clue what the expectations are for Sherman. Is Nutt expected to turn Mississippi into the success he had at Arkansas?

If you are a fan or are familar with any of the teams that have made or may make coaching changes, what the expectations going to be for the new coach?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

Rumors around here (Arkansas) are centering around Lane Kiffin, Tommy Tubberville, and Butch Davis, none of which seem really easy to get to me, but the rumors aren't isolated.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Rumors around here (Arkansas) are centering around Lane Kiffin, Tommy Tubberville, and Butch Davis, none of which seem really easy to get to me, but the rumors aren't isolated.

What are the chances the former OC who went to Tulsa gets an interview?

EDIT:Gus Malzahn is the guy I am talking about.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-28-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I find it interesting that Butch is such a hot commodity. People seem to forget that he really struggled at Miami for several years before he got things under control. He was eventually successful in his final season, but that was his 6th season. Alot of fans/teams don't seem to be willing to wait that long.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

There are people that want Gus to get a chance at it, but I haven't heard anything that made me think it was realistic.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I find it interesting that Butch is such a hot commodity. People seem to forget that he really struggled at Miami for several years before he got things under control. He was eventually successful in his final season, but that was his 6th season. Alot of fans/teams don't seem to be willing to wait that long.

I would not say that he really struggled when he was at Miami. He had one sub .500 year and had no less than 8 wins the other five years he was there. All while losing 31 scholarships. Not to mention setting the team up for at least the first couple of years of the Coker era. There are few schools in the country that would not be happy with that type of success.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I would not say that he really struggled when he was at Miami. He had one sub .500 year and had no less than 8 wins the other five years he was there. All while losing 31 scholarships. Not to mention setting the team up for at least the first couple of years of the Coker era. There are few schools in the country that would not be happy with that type of success.

He definitely did struggle by Miami standards. Also, there were several embarassing defeats, like losing twice to East Carolina, losing 47-0 to FSU and 66-13 to Syracuse. He didn't seem to be the best gameday coach and the team often underperformed, particularly that 1999 team that had no business losing 4 games. No, I don't think Miami fans were expecting more national titles after all the scholarship losses, but I also don't think they were expecting 10 consecutive losses to FSU/VT.

My point is I think he's a good coach and I'm glad he got Miami turned around, but if it takes him that long to get the team turned around again, I wonder if he'll get the same deference. Will NC fans take 5 straight losses to NC State?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Wyoming needs a new coach. I'm sick of these hot starts and second half collapses to cockblock us out of bowl contention.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
He definitely did struggle by Miami standards. Also, there were several embarassing defeats, like losing twice to East Carolina, losing 47-0 to FSU and 66-13 to Syracuse. He didn't seem to be the best gameday coach and the team often underperformed, particularly that 1999 team that had no business losing 4 games. No, I don't think Miami fans were expecting more national titles after all the scholarship losses, but I also don't think they were expecting 10 consecutive losses to FSU/VT.

My point is I think he's a good coach and I'm glad he got Miami turned around, but if it takes him that long to get the team turned around again, I wonder if he'll get the same deference. Will NC fans take 5 straight losses to NC State?

Ahhh by Miami standards sure he did struggle. I don't think a team like North Carolina has those same standards, especially not the ones in place right after the Erickson era. They also don't have the same limitations that the lost scholarships put on the Miami program at that time. Those lost scholarships played a major role in it taking so long to turn the program back around. I would not expect him to lose to NC State 5 times in a row as long as he has is playing with the same rules as the coach at NC State.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
BigDPW
College Prospect

As and NC State Fan I surely hope he loses to us 5 straight times!!! Go Pack!!!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think it would be dumb for Davis to leave UNC for Arkansas (I know it's his school) after just one year. I think UNC has a lot more resoruces to build a great program.

I know Terry Bowden wants to return to the sidelines. Think he'll land a job?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
SnDvls
Pro Starter

didn't Butch Davis just get a one year extension w/ UNC a few days ago? I'd think he's probally staying put.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
didn't Butch Davis just get a one year extension w/ UNC a few days ago? I'd think he's probally staying put.

Yes he did.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

How does Greg Robinson still have a job?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Cam Cameron accepts the head coaching job at Michigan.

Say the headlines in my fantasy.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Cam Cameron accepts the head coaching job at Michigan.

Say the headlines in my fantasy.

Damn it... I didn't see the small print at first and my heart did a leap of joy.

I so hate you right now.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

Take it for what it's worth. Washington's AD says Ty will be back next year.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...05_uwfb27.html
Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
MJ4H
Coordinator

Lane Kiffin seems to be getting the most talk around here, now. Word is he would likely bring Orgeron with him as DC and recruiting coordinator. I would be ok with all of this, incidentally. Still seems odd to think of going from an NFL job back to college before even a year there, but from what I'm hearing, it isn't as unlikely as it sounds.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Jimbo Fisher is going to be named Head Coach - Elect if everything works out with his contract.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #20
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I was really suprised to hear Bower "resigned" at Southern Miss. The team has had 14 straight winning seasons, and 15 out of his 17 have been winning seasons- or something like that... Pretty amazing for a smaller school. Don't know if they think they can do better.

I wish UL-Lafayette would fire Ricky Bustle and hire Bower. Too bad we are stuck with Bustle for another year, while this team continues to go further down.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Art Briles is leaving Houston to be the head coach at Baylor. Not a bad hire by Baylor. He used to be head coach at Stephenville High School, about an hour and a half away from Waco, so he should have some traction when it comes to recruiting in the area.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-28-2007 at 03:34 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #22
Blade6119
Coordinator

where does rice come in to that message?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
where does rice come in to that message?

No idea why I typed in Rice. I've corrected the original post.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

It's kind of an interesting question - is there a minimum amout of years a coach should get on a job when there's no off-field issues, but team performance is TERRIBLE (by the standard's of the teams history and recent past). I guess some would say 4 years, but in some special circumstances, I think you have to cut your losses after 3 years.

I don't see it happening though, since this was Gross's first move as Cuse AD.

Last edited by molson : 11-28-2007 at 03:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #25
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I was really suprised to hear Bower "resigned" at Southern Miss. The team has had 14 straight winning seasons, and 15 out of his 17 have been winning seasons- or something like that... Pretty amazing for a smaller school. Don't know if they think they can do better.

I wish UL-Lafayette would fire Ricky Bustle and hire Bower. Too bad we are stuck with Bustle for another year, while this team continues to go further down.

Reading a few different USM fan websites, there is a part of the fanbase and alummni that believe that USM should be dominating Conference USA the way Memphis dominates the conference in basketball. Of course these are fan websites so YMMV.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dorrell will be fired on Monday most likely
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #27
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

None of these impress me ......maybe Kiffin a little

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 11-28-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

Tommy Tuberville and Butch Davis doen't impress you? Undefeated seasons and national championships aren't good enough for you?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

weakies. houston nutt was sec western division champion of the world!!!!!!!!!!1111111
Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #30
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Tommy Tuberville and Butch Davis doen't impress you? Undefeated seasons and national championships aren't good enough for you?

I'm hard to please
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #31
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Butch Davis has not accomplished either of those things.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #32
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Take it for what it's worth. Washington's AD says Ty will be back next year.
As someone who follows UW football closely, I can tell you it's worth dick. Turner is the one that hired Ty, so it's natural that he'd be backing Ty. Thing is, it's probably not going to be Turner's call - word is he's going to be fired by President Emmert, whether it's in a week or two or whether he just lets Turner's contract expire in June without extending it.

If Ty is cashiered, it will be President Emmert that makes the call. Word is he's had multiple 6-figure donation boosters tell him funding from them is cut-off until Ty is gone. With Husky Stadium in desperate need of a remodel, Emmert may not have a choice if enough big-money guys are upset with Ty and withholding money.

Last edited by dawgfan : 11-28-2007 at 08:02 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Rumor mill is pumping out names left and right for the Washington State job, but here are the probable suspects thusfar:

Mike Price (UTEP): An obvious one, but not a slam dunk. He's been annointed as a candidate by the powers-that-be, but no more. Last I heard Price was staying quiet on his end.

Bill Gregory (Cal defensive coordinator): He's a Coug. I kinda like this idea.

Craig Bray (ASU defensive coordinator): Has Coug coaching roots via Erickson and Price.

Tim Lappano (UW offensive coordinator): Lots of Coug and Pac-10 assistant coaching and coordinator experience.

Dave Christensen (Mizzou offensive coordinator): Has state of Washington roots and a connection to WSU President Elston Floyd, who came from Missouri.

John L. Smith (formerly Michigan State coach): He worked at WSU under Dennis Erickson way back in the day. Personally, this one would be a shocker to me, but what do I know.

Then you've got two current Big Sky coaches, Montana's Bobby Hauck and Eastern Washington's Paul Wulff (a former Coug football player).
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #34
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hauck is an interesting candidate to me. He's got a great track record of success at Montana and was regarded as one of the best recruiters when he was an assistant under Neuheisel. He has experience recruiting and coaching in the Pac-10. I wasn't much of a fan of him as a position coach at the UW - I didn't think his secondaries were very good - but it's hard to argue with his record as a head coach.

That said, I think his lack of WSU ties will probably work against him. And because of that and his age, he may be viewed as someone that is more likely to bolt for another job if he has success at WSU and not a long-term WSU guy.

I'm a fan of Lappano, and I'm hoping the Cougs look elsewhere.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh, I hate this time of year.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #36
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I missed that Bowers was pressured to leave at USM. They'll never find a coach that will do more for that program than he did. I hope they go 0-11 next year.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 AM   #37
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Mike Leach interviewed at Arkansas today, fwiw.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #38
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Mike Price (UTEP): An obvious one, but not a slam dunk. He's been annointed as a candidate by the powers-that-be, but no more. Last I heard Price was staying quiet on his end

From what I've read/heard, he's only said that he hasn't talked to anyone at WSU. But from what I've read on some of y'alls boards, sounds like a lot of your fans aren't in favor of him coming back.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #39
MJ4H
Coordinator

Rumors about Tuberville are increasing here right now. Word from several sources is they have agreed in principle to 10yrs at 3.5 mil/year. All rumors right now. Kiffin seems to be option #2. Mike Leach = my own suicide.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #40
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Rumors about Tuberville are increasing here right now. Word from several sources is they have agreed in principle to 10yrs at 3.5 mil/year. All rumors right now. Kiffin seems to be option #2. Mike Leach = my own suicide.

Interesting since there are other reports Tuberville is working on an extension with Auburn.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #41
SnDvls
Pro Starter

can remove Baylor from the list and add Houston to it now
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #42
rjolley
College Starter

What's the big problem with Ty in Washington? He's only 2 years into his program there.

College football fans are so damn impatient. It takes longer than a couple of years to reap the rewards of a coach in college.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #43
molson
General Manager

Quote:

He's staying:

hxxp://media.http://www.dailyorange.com/media/sto...mlemailedition

"Now it's time to stabilize," said Gross, Syracuse's director of athletics. "It's time to do that. I know there's some impatience and people want things right away, but there's some sophistication and strategy that goes into these kinds of decisions."

So relax Cuse fans - your AD is sophisticated or something.

Hopefully Gross is now tying his own fate to that of Robinson's. Syracuse has obviously never been a recruiting hotspot, they've always had to work against their location, and had to rely on consistent success over decades. Now they're a total joke and might as well move to the MAC, since the only team they've been competitive with is Buffalo.

Last edited by molson : 11-29-2007 at 09:32 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
What's the big problem with Ty in Washington? He's only 2 years into his program there.

College football fans are so damn impatient. It takes longer than a couple of years to reap the rewards of a coach in college.

To be fair, it has actually been 3 years and I think fans are disappointed with the unfulfilled promise of this season.

However, I agree with you in general. He should be given more time. It will be the second straight job he's only been given three years and hasn't been able to see the development of a blue chip QB. The unfortunate thing is if he was selfish and only cared about his job, he could have taken the shirt off Locker last season and they probably have a winning record.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #45
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Interesting since there are other reports Tuberville is working on an extension with Auburn.

Yes, that's the thing. He hasn't signed it yet, the rumors say because of the interest from Arkansas.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #46
rjolley
College Starter

3? Really? I thought Weiss was in for only 2 in ND. Man, time is slipping by quickly...

All I ever see about Ty is he can't recruit, but the team he left Weiss in ND was pretty good and he pulled in good classes at Washington. Yes, he had a losing record, but if the talent wasn't there, that's something that will happen before things turn around. Looking at the Pac-10, it's not like an average team is going to do well with USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, and Oregon all being very talented.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #47
rjolley
College Starter

Looks like Michigan is talking to Miles with LSU's OK. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #48
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I wonder if Bud Foster (VT's def coordinator & the 2006 Broyles Award winner) is going to get a look from someone. I get the impression that most people think he's not leaving Blacksburg since he's the obvious heir to Beamer, but he's been vocal to the local media in the past week about being open to head coaching offers. I'd hate to see him go since he's been the key to VT's defense over the years, but part of me knows that he's earned the right to see what he can do as a head man.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #49
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He's staying:

hxxp://media.http://www.dailyorange.com/media/sto...mlemailedition

"Now it's time to stabilize," said Gross, Syracuse's director of athletics. "It's time to do that. I know there's some impatience and people want things right away, but there's some sophistication and strategy that goes into these kinds of decisions."

So relax Cuse fans - your AD is sophisticated or something.

Hopefully Gross is now tying his own fate to that of Robinson's. Syracuse has obviously never been a recruiting hotspot, they've always had to work against their location, and had to rely on consistent success over decades. Now they're a total joke and might as well move to the MAC, since the only team they've been competitive with is Buffalo.

That AD is a joke in all aspects of his program.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #50
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I wonder if Bud Foster (VT's def coordinator & the 2006 Broyles Award winner) is going to get a look from someone. I get the impression that most people think he's not leaving Blacksburg since he's the obvious heir to Beamer, but he's been vocal to the local media in the past week about being open to head coaching offers. I'd hate to see him go since he's been the key to VT's defense over the years, but part of me knows that he's earned the right to see what he can do as a head man.

I've been wondering about this as well. Seems like someone would be willing to take a shot on this guy. He's got about as solid a track record as an assistant can have. Seems to be a good motivator as well.