Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which of the following best describes your interest?
Pretty sure I'm in for a 3-season commitment at $75 per season (i.e. pay $225 at league inception) 7 18.42%
Pretty sure I'm in for a $75 one-year commitment, but I'm not willing to plunk down $225 in one shot. 8 21.05%
Pretty sure I'm in for $75 per season, but I think it should be $100 per season. 1 2.63%
Not interested at $75 per season, but I'd pay $50 per season. 2 5.26%
I'd be interested, but there's something about the league structure presented below that is a deal-breaker for me. (Please specify in a post.) 3 7.89%
No interest in a play-for-money league. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FOF Pay League **TWO TEAMS LEFT TO CLAIM. JOIN FOR FREE AND KEEP YOUR EARNINGS**

EDIT: FORUM IS UP. HERE IS THE FORUM LINK: The Cash Money Football League Forum

Trying to see where we are in terms of numbers. Here's the general structure (subject to tweaking by the collective 32 owners who join):

Quote:
I am willing to be a non-owner commish for a league like this:
  • $75 per person initial buy-in, plus one-time $8 per person vBulletin License fee.
  • Payouts may only be taken above the initial buy-in cost. You pocket your earnings above $75 and play the next season for free. You're essentially paying a $75 franchise fee to get in. If your earnings are less than $75 for a season, they're all applied to next season's fee. However, in the league's final season, all earnings will be paid out.
  • I am paid $225 per season. That will cover web hosting plus league administration.
  • The remaining $2,175 is earned by the league owners based on performance
  • Roughly 2/3 (~$1,500) of earnings will be based on regular season performance, and roughly 1/3 ($~750) on postseason performance.
  • Specific earnings/payout structure may be found in the "PROPOSAL: $75 Buy-In" tab of the Google Spreadsheet I created, but in brief:
    • The champ will take a payout in the $350-$395 range, depending on how he did in the regular season.
    • The runner-up will take a payout roughly in the $200-$250 range.
    • Conf. Championship game losers pocket roughly $50-$100.
    • All other playoff teams basically get next season free or pay a minimal amount ($15 or less.) Some will earn minimal payouts ($15 or less.)
    • Every regular season win is worth $5.
    • Finishing 8-8 cuts the cost for next season to $35.
    • Just a 5-win season cuts costs to $50 for next season.
  • Cities, stadiums, and finances would be leveled out in-game. Coaches cannot be equalized.
  • 30% Cap Reduction, no franchise tag.
  • Schedule would be a bit slower than the CCFL, but not much. Mainly I'll spread out staff hiring, do preseason in two sims instead of one, and drop to five sims per week.
  • Low injuries to reduce the luck factor and to remove the necessity to export much during the regular season.
  • Definitely want a league Board of Directors working with me to make decisions, mainly on trades.
  • Initial owner group would pay an initial $8 per person one-time fee for a purchase of the new version of vBulletin.
  • Best startup option would seem to be BFL-style: snake draft, 20-ish live rounds, AI the rest of the way. If the initial owners want me to do a full 53-round draft and manually enter all those guys, you're going to have to pay me a one-time fee for that headache, probably 10 bucks a head.
  • Restricted trading, either by a simple "no trading of future picks" rule, or a trade review board.

Thanks. If we get enough interest based on this poll, I could get moving on this as early as this evening. (I'm in a hotel room in middle-of-nowhere Missouri with no responsibilities until the morning. )

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

Note that if we start with a 3-year commitment, there will be full payouts in year 1 and year 2 since you've already paid for next year. In other words, if you pay $225 and win 5 games in year 1, you'll get $25 back at the end of that season.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
w24olfpack
Mascot

In. Prefer not to tie up $225 but def everyone needs to pay up front of season.

And team preference would be either Denver or Carolina but would play regardless.

Last edited by w24olfpack : 10-14-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Expressing team preference.
w24olfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
RedKingGold
College Starter

In.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
RipMurdock
n00b

If I understand the schedule correctly, the regular season would be simmed at 5 games a week Monday thru Friday. That's way too fast for me if I'm spending money. I could do 2 or 3 games a week but not 4 or 5.

2022 FOWL Bowl Champions --- New Jersey Jets
RipMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Yoda
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by w24olfpack View Post
In. Prefer not to tie up $225 but def everyone needs to pay up front of season.

This.
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

I've scaled back my leagues and am wrapping up my bachelor's degree work this week (night school can officially suck it!), so I'm good for at least a few seasons.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
sidthelid
Mascot

i'm in but 5 sims is a lot in one week if we're playing for money. Raiders please

Last edited by sidthelid : 10-14-2012 at 06:12 PM.
sidthelid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipMurdock View Post
If I understand the schedule correctly, the regular season would be simmed at 5 games a week Monday thru Friday. That's way too fast for me if I'm spending money. I could do 2 or 3 games a week but not 4 or 5.

This.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Ben E Lou

Oops. I probably should have mentioned that the injury setting would be 50 or 75 most likely, so there would be very little to do during the regular season. I only export three or four times a season in the CCFL right now with injuries at 75. That will help with that tremendously.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

in
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
scorp
Mascot

I am undecided on if I am interested but $75 a season and 5 sims a week gets steep when you complete a season/offseason in 6/7 weeks. you could looking a a new monthly bill.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

Interested, but prefer a slower league in this setting to try to build community and immersion. Not that I make a whole lot of adjustments week to week, but I want to savor my donation a bit.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
RipMurdock
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Oops. I probably should have mentioned that the injury setting would be 50 or 75 most likely, so there would be very little to do during the regular season. I only export three or four times a season in the CCFL right now with injuries at 75. That will help with that tremendously.

That's not the point, at least for me. If you think gameplanning for each game is important, then you need time to do gameplanning.

2022 FOWL Bowl Champions --- New Jersey Jets
RipMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ben, have you looked into a flat cap, or a cap that rises very slowly, as another means to keep salaries in check?

i prefer it in SP, though it doesnt work very well since the AI cant adjust. i just hate when kickers are suddenly making $5m a year, thought it could be another way to do a cap crunch.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
ben, have you looked into a flat cap, or a cap that rises very slowly, as another means to keep salaries in check?

i prefer it in SP, though it doesnt work very well since the AI cant adjust. i just hate when kickers are suddenly making $5m a year, thought it could be another way to do a cap crunch.
I've tested this myself, and I believe a MP league somewhere may have tried it. The bottom line is that a flat cap or low-rising one is basically just cosmetic. It doesn't affect any significant change in FA, though, because the players' contract demands scale with the salary cap. In other words, a guy asking for $5M a year under a $100M cap will ask for $10M a year under a $200M cap, and $7.5M a year under a $150M cap. There's a minor crunch in SP to the AI, because they don't reneg as often as we do, and it appears that the backloading is scaled to rise as if the cap were rising an average amount per year. But it's pretty much meaningless in MP if people just renegotiate the deals.

That said, if it's something the league wants to do as a means of keeping contracts stable, then it's certainly doable for that reason.

As far as speed, I'm certainly open to a slower pace. This is going to sound counter-intuitive until I explain it, but if we do a slower pace, the house would need to keep a little more per season. The reason is that hosting costs and resources required don't change for a slower-paced league. In other words, IHOF (3 games per week) was at 2032 FA1:5 this time in the 2011 calendar year. Now it's at 2036 Week 16. The CCFL ran the 2019 preseason on this date in 2011. It's in the 2027 playoffs now. So if I'm setting aside $75 per season for hosting (which is roughly what I was thinking) at a CCFL pace, it's $600 per calendar year. At an IHOF pace, that's only $300 per calendar year. I'd need to set aside $150 per season at that pace. (My plan is to get an entirely different server from my current one, dedicated to this league only, that costs $50 per month.) So going down to 3 games per week probably means an additional $75 per season to the house.

I just created an additional tab ($75 Per Season, Three Games Per Week) on the Google spreadsheet to reflect what the payouts would be at three games per week. The good news is that they don't really change much.

Obviously, if it's the difference between being able to fill the league quickly and struggling to find owners, the prudent move would be to drop it to 3 games per week. Let's see how it plays out the next day or two as the work week begins.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-15-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

if i was working steady id be interested, but now i cant afford this
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

Interesting to see this thread.

I have run a fantasy football league for 18 years, and often wondered if a FOF league run like the fantasy league (entry fee, payout system) would work, or make a difference.

Big cheers to Ben for looking to take this on. It could prove to be solid.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

In.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
claystone
H.S. Freshman Team

Getting shit back together with my life.

I'll be in for the 3-yr season for $225.

I don't mind 5 or 4 games a week. I actually perfer 4 games a week.

My new email is: [email protected]

Last edited by claystone : 10-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.
claystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
MRL17
n00b

I'm interested, but 75 a month to get my ass kicked sounds pretty steep.
WOOF - Las Vegas Ballas - Championship - Final Season (I broke the league!)
MRL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL17 View Post
I'm interested, but 75 a month to get my ass kicked sounds pretty steep.
The seasons will probably take 2 1/2 months or so, so it's just $75 four or five times a year!

Seriously, with the way it's structured, you'll rarely have to pay that much.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
MRL17
n00b

Quote:
The seasons will probably take 2 1/2 months or so, so it's just $75 four or five times a year!

Seriously, with the way it's structured, you'll rarely have to pay that much.

I do pretty well in normal leagues, but with 32 motivated owners, I am tempering expectations. If I assume that I go 4-12, then it's 55 per season. I guess that's pretty similar to my fantasy football league, so I'm tentatively in.
WOOF - Las Vegas Ballas - Championship - Final Season (I broke the league!)
MRL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Count me it. 3 games a weeks sounds good, 5 games might be pushing it for me as well.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

In.

I prefer the highest nominal price anyone can stand, especially with the tiers of discounts in play.

Faster the better.

Would prefer fake teams and players of course, and insist on game-generated drafts.

Many thanks to Ben.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

I would appreciate fake teams and players as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
w24olfpack
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Would prefer fake teams and players of course, and insist on game-generated drafts.

Many thanks to Ben.

Thanks for taking on this project.

And COMPLETELY agree on the draft. If human eyes can see the draft classes then its not worth it.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Ben E Lou

If we do fictional, do we have someone in the group that can do logos? I doubt what I'd do to deal with that would be "acceptable" to most people. The only other thought would be to use the WOOF teams and logos.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #29
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

I have logos/helmets etc. that I use for my personal leagues that yall can use to start with.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)

Last edited by ShaneTheMaster : 10-21-2012 at 09:27 AM.
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

I can help with the logo maintenance. Wont be Cuervo Gold but maybe a bronze quality to them.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Heres some samples that I have:

Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If we do fictional, do we have someone in the group that can do logos? I doubt what I'd do to deal with that would be "acceptable" to most people. The only other thought would be to use the WOOF teams and logos.

Woof closed? Damn, I know sportsdigs talked about this apparently 4 months ago.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #33
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I can help with the logo maintenance. Wont be Cuervo Gold but maybe a bronze quality to them.
If we used the ShaneTheMaster logos, would you be able to get a template to modify for future new teams? (I have no idea how all of that works.)
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
Ben E Lou

Oh, and one thing that those of you wanting fictional teams *might* not be aware of, but that I've experienced as a commish, and had other commishes share similar stories with me: it can be at least somewhat limiting. There's a subset of potential owners who only want to play in a league with NFL teams and cities.

I'm not saying that's a reason not to do it, but just wanting to make sure you're going in with eyes wide open.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
w24olfpack
Mascot

Quote:
Oh, and one thing that those of you wanting fictional teams *might* not be aware of, but that I've experienced as a commish, and had other commishes share similar stories with me: it can be at least somewhat limiting. There's a subset of potential owners who only want to play in a league with NFL teams and cities.

I'm not saying that's a reason not to do it, but just wanting to make sure you're going in with eyes wide open.

I prefer NFL names / cities but fake AI generated players.
But, I'm easy. Have some great fake city / name combinations.

We could ask Yoda to give us 32 Star Wars universe teams....
Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #36
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
If we used the ShaneTheMaster logos, would you be able to get a template to modify for future new teams? (I have no idea how all of that works.)

If you use my stuff, I can provide the template, as I made it myself, also I enjoy doing that sort of stuff, so I'm willing to create additional artwork if needed.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm about 85% there with Cuervo's logo's and those were recreated from some old template. The pics above are from a template that, if layered properly, can be re-used easily enough. The key is having the actual flat logo files. Once you have those, the rest is cake.

I would expect that folks would have their own logo's they would want incorporated into fictional universes. So the agreed upon template is the big thing. I personally like the templates that Cuervo chose to use 10 years ago....amazingly enough, they are still the best one's available for this sort of stuff.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
Ben E Lou

OK, so I'm confused, Dutch. Are we using the Shane stuff, or are you going to create 32 sets from scratch? (Keep in mind that for my sites, I need about 5 versions of each team's logo.)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #39
Ben E Lou

(Fwiw, I think you guys are making a big mistake by trying to go fictional teams with this, but that's your call.)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #40
sidthelid
Mascot

I'm going to pull out at this stage, thanks and i hope it all goes well.
sidthelid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #41
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
(Fwiw, I think you guys are making a big mistake by trying to go fictional teams with this, but that's your call.)
I think we need to do it the easiest way possible and just use NFL logos and teams and cities. This is about winning money, not making a quirky fake football team/town.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #42
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think we need to do it the easiest way possible and just use NFL logos and teams and cities. This is about winning money, not making a quirky fake football team/town.
To be clear, I'm not talking "degree of difficulty" here when I make the above statement. My #1 question about this concept is "can you sustain close to 32 owners?" I'd do everything I can to keep 32 owners, and my strong impression is that you lose more potential owners by going with fictional franchises. Now, MAYBE that's different if $$$ is a motivation...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #43
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Ok, I'm warming up to this on juice/squeeze metrics. I have had trouble getting "attached" to my NFL-based teams, but maybe the dead presidents can help us all on that front.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #44
Yoda
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by w24olfpack View Post
We could ask Yoda to give us 32 Star Wars universe teams....

I could see doing that some day. But my plate is pretty full of FoF atm.
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #45
Ben E Lou

Is there a way to get around the Paypal transaction fees? I forgot about that little factor. I think around $2.50 of a $75 PayPal goes to PayPal.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #46
Yoda
High School Varsity

There is a fee one way or the other. If you list it as a donation one side pays it, if it's just a regular payment, then the other pays for it.

If people trust me, I'll run it though my wife's propay account, there is still a fee, but smaller than Paypals.

Maybe an NPO gets around them, not sure.
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
There is a fee one way or the other. If you list it as a donation one side pays it, if it's just a regular payment, then the other pays for it.

If people trust me, I'll run it though my wife's propay account, there is still a fee, but smaller than Paypals.

Maybe an NPO gets around them, not sure.
Let's just keep it PayPal for ease. People are more familiar with it.

I can just set up the payment as a regular payment so people pay the extra couple of bucks, allowing us to keep the payouts as suggested. Thanks for that info. Didn't realize that.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #48
digamma
Torchbearer

I thought if you use your bank account directly, fees are waived?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #49
Yoda
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I thought if you use your bank account directly, fees are waived?

There is a lot of conflicting information out there, different sources say different ways are free. When I called paypal about it, the rep said- essentially someone pays somehow, either coming or going.

You can google how to avoid paypal fees and there is nearly endless links.
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #50
claystone
H.S. Freshman Team

I prefer NFL teams, but if everyone else wants fictional teams then so be it.

But my vote will be for NFL Teams.
claystone is offline   Reply With Quote