Swaggs
Coordinator

College Football -- Week 3 Thread

Looks like there is only one game between ranked teams this week:

#9 Iowa @ #24 Arizona

Other interesting games:

GT @ UNC
Maryland @ WVU
East Carolina @ Virginia Tech (will the Boise State hangover continue?)
Air Force @ Oklahoma
Nebraska @ Washington
BYU @ FSU (this one looked a lot better before last Saturday)
Clemson @ Auburn
Texas @ Texas Tech
Notre Dame @ Michigan State
Houston @ UCLA
Wake Forest @ Stanford

I'm sure there are others, but this was a quick glimpse.

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Swaggs
Coordinator

Also, I really wanted a place to park this youtube video of.... Barry Sanders Jr.!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nothing like a police blotter to get the week rolling.

They've updated the story, he's now free on his own recognizance & she says she didn't intend for him to be arrested. She says she's not afraid of Rainey but she "... does fear the attention the case has drawn from the media. "People all over the country have been calling my cell phone," the woman said. "I'm not afraid of him. I'm more afraid of all the repercussions."

This earlier version has more of the details though, so I'm pasting a bit of it here.

Gators' wide receiver Chris Rainey arrested for aggravated stalking | Gainesville.com

(Original article) A starting football player at the University of Florida was arrested early Tuesday on a charge of aggravated stalking.

Christopher Rainey, 22, of Lakeland, a wide receiver for the Gators, was charged with aggravated stalking of a woman he has been dating on and off for about three years.

Gainesville police said the incident began when the woman fell asleep and missed a call from Rainey.

Officer Jesse Bostick said Rainey went to the woman's home, and she talked to him for about 10 minutes and then told him to leave. According to Bostick, Rainey sent a text to the woman that said: "Time to die." The woman called police after receiving the text.

Bostick said that when he arrived at the woman's home he told the woman to call Rainey so that he could talk to him.

The woman said that when she told Rainey that police wanted to speak to him, Rainey's response was, "Wait and see what happens when they leave."
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

One more odd thing that strikes me as I look at standings is that every team in the ACC Coastal Division (the one that has Virginia Tech, UNC, Miami, and Georgia Tech) has at least one loss, while every team except Florida State is undefeated in the Atlantic Division.

Largely due to early quality of opponents, but it just looks strange since the ACC Coastal looked like the NFC East during the preseason and I think most folks thought that VT, UNC, and Miami had a shot the BCS title if things bounced right (which they still could for UNC and Miami, I suppose).
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The game in Lubbock scares me. Tech always plays well at home, and they play out of their minds at home for night games. I hope that the experienced players on the Horns can get the message across to the the new guys as to what to expect.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Call me crazy, but Baylor/TCU could be a good game. Two teams I rarely get to see, and if Baylor's QB can pull a Denard Robinson, might be an exciting game to watch. Maybe not, but at least it's on Versus to check out.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really looking forward to seeing how we play against Nebraska at home.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
molson
General Manager

This week is chapter 1 in soon-to-be-historic Syracuse/Maine rilvary. I can only hope the Orange aren't looking ahead to next week when they play in-state rival Colgate.

Last edited by molson : 09-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

They've updated the story, he's now free on his own recognizance & she says she didn't intend for him to be arrested. She says she's not afraid of Rainey but she "... does fear the attention the case has drawn from the media. "People all over the country have been calling my cell phone," the woman said. "I'm not afraid of him. I'm more afraid of all the repercussions."

This earlier version has more of the details though, so I'm pasting a bit of it here.

Gators' wide receiver Chris Rainey arrested for aggravated stalking | Gainesville.com

(Original article) A starting football player at the University of Florida was arrested early Tuesday on a charge of aggravated stalking.

Christopher Rainey, 22, of Lakeland, a wide receiver for the Gators, was charged with aggravated stalking of a woman he has been dating on and off for about three years.

Gainesville police said the incident began when the woman fell asleep and missed a call from Rainey.

Officer Jesse Bostick said Rainey went to the woman's home, and she talked to him for about 10 minutes and then told him to leave. According to Bostick, Rainey sent a text to the woman that said: "Time to die." The woman called police after receiving the text.

Bostick said that when he arrived at the woman's home he told the woman to call Rainey so that he could talk to him.

The woman said that when she told Rainey that police wanted to speak to him, Rainey's response was, "Wait and see what happens when they leave."

Rainey is very, very lucky I'm not the girl's father. This isn't an internet tough guy thread or anything, but I can promise you I would not take a threat like that lightly. By the time my media blitz and lawsuits were finished, his football career and name would be destroyed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Nothing's a given, especially with an OSU teams that has tended to play to the level of their competition, but just looking at the schedule shows a four Saturday cakewalk for OSU before they play Wiscy.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ouch. Arkansas RB Johnson is out indefinitely after suffering an 'internal bowel injury'.

Razorbacks' Johnson out indefinitely with internal injury | baxterbulletin.com | The Baxter Bulletin
Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Call me crazy, but Baylor/TCU could be a good game. Two teams I rarely get to see, and if Baylor's QB can pull a Denard Robinson, might be an exciting game to watch. Maybe not, but at least it's on Versus to check out.

I'm with you on this one ksyrup. This is one of the games that I'm hoping to catch this week.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ouch. Arkansas RB Johnson is out indefinitely after suffering an 'internal bowel injury'.

Razorbacks' Johnson out indefinitely with internal injury | baxterbulletin.com | The Baxter Bulletin

They were checking on him during the game, thinking he had a rib injury. He was getting more and more disoriented and then suddenly vomited all over the place with blood in it. I didn't read the article, but I have, um, first hand knowledge of this.

As far as the team is concerned, we have 4 running backs I'm comfortable with getting the majority of the carries, so it isn't that big of a deal for the ground game. Where it hurts is KO returns. He was our main returner and was very very good.

Last edited by MJ4H : 09-14-2010 at 02:35 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ouch indeed. That's a really shitty thing to have happen.

(sorry, couldn't help myself, no disrespect to the kid intended)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-14-2010 at 02:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Last, best chance for Locker to get back into the Heisman discussion. He's been pretty good so far this season, but not spectacular, and failing to lead a game-winning drive against BYU is going to haunt him. But if he can have a big game en route to Washington upsetting Nebraska on national TV, that could go a long way towards getting him back in the discussion.

It's also of course another big opportunity for Sarkisian and the Huskies to make a statement about the progress the program has made under his watch. Should be a fun game with strength (Washington passing game) on strength (Nebraska pass defense), especially Jermaine Kearse vs. Prince Amukamara.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The game in Lubbock scares me. Tech always plays well at home, and they play out of their minds at home for night games. I hope that the experienced players on the Horns can get the message across to the the new guys as to what to expect.

Plus, I am sure the team is at risk of looking ahead to the huge matchup with UCLA the next week, which has to have them shaking in their cletes.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

Exciting news for UNLV football, at least for my own personal biases.

Omar Clayton has officially won the Rebels' starting spot for the remainder of the season it looks like, and even better, Mike Clausen, who was his primary rival and looked so terrible against Wisconsin, is likely switching to safety, which he played in high school.

That means Caleb Herring, the redshirt freshman most consider the QB of the future, gets elevated to the #2 spot. Clayton's a senior, so if we can find ways to get Herring some playing time so he's ready to go next year, that'd be awesome.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pitt defensive end Greg Romeus, who was the co-defensive player of the year in the Big East last season and a probably first round pick, needs back surgery and is probably out for the rest of the regular season. Unfortunate break for a kid who probably could have been a first or second rounder last season but decided to come back.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Pretty cool article (well, unless you are a Horns hater ) on ESPN.com about a game week in the life of Mack Brown.

ESPN - College Football: Constant Eyes of Texas - E-ticket
Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Dang. It's been a while since I've seen State lay a beating like that on a decent opponent. After a shoddy game last week, Russell Wilson was on most of the night tonight and carved up Cincy's defense pretty easily. The other positive thing to see was the defense absolutely harrassing the Cincy QB all night, a big improvement over getting embarrassed by UCF's mobile QB in the fourth last week.

Still a bit careless with the ball and that late-game mail-it-in defense approach wasn't pleasant to watch. Oh, yeah, the punter sucks. That's going to get us in trouble eventually, but for now, 3-0 is good. Haven't started 3-0 since 2002 when Rivers lead State to a 9-0 start before they gagged away the Georgia Tech game (coincidentally, GT's the next opponent).

Last edited by Wolfpack : 09-16-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

Not a real great week for college football matchups. Looking forward to seeing conference play start up.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

It'll be interesting to see how Meyer handles this situation. It should be handled the same way as the Washington situation at Missouri. He should be gone.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

I am so pumped right now for Saturday night. I cant wait. I have been Amped all day. 9:30 Saturday cannot get here fast enough.

Go Hawks!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
What better?

Sharp stick in the eye

DrLou
Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kansas in the first half looking like the Week 1 team that lost to NDSU rather than the team that beat Georgia Tech.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-17-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Nevada looks unstoppable on offense. Is Cal gonna make an adjustment....or just keep getting steamrolled for fuck sake.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
kingfc22
Head Coach

Shane Vereen is keeping Cal alive.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 09-17-2010 at 11:03 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Kansas in the first half looking like the Week 1 team that lost to NDSU rather than the team that beat Georgia Tech.

Sadly, that's probably the exact same team. GT just stinks that much right now.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Big turnover there.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

or not
Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #31
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Nevada getting every break right now. How does 3 Cal players let that WR come up with the ball there? Weak.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is it just me or have the Nevada DBs been pushing off on the receivers on deep ball all night?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #33
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Cal is once again limp-dicked. Stanford will have to take over the reigns for the Bay Area this year. Get ready to hand over that axe.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Turns out that team played the entire game for them

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Last night in Georgia, Marist beats SW DeKalb 17-14 on a 59 yd game-winning field goal. 59 yarder in HIGH SCHOOL !

Let's remember that today as we watch our various kickers struggle.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #36
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Sadly, that's probably the exact same team. GT just stinks that much right now.

Just so long as you guys kneecap Carolina today, it's fine. You can go back to sucking again next week.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Just so long as you guys kneecap Carolina today, it's fine. You can go back to sucking again next week.

I imagine this one comes down to whether UNC comes in flat or not. If the Heels play (theoretically) over their heads like they did against LSU, GT is a dead bug. If they play like a depleted team & the emotion is flat, even Tech has a chance against them.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #38
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow, that is one of the worst defensive blunders I've ever seen by a BCS team.

Edit: By Georgia against Arkansas fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 09-18-2010 at 11:08 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #39
Logan
Head Coach

Good news: the Rutgers offense won't make me sick this week.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

These Arkansas jerseys are fugly.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #41
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Shootout #2 is off to a good start.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #42
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Wow, that is one of the worst defensive blunders I've ever seen by a BCS team.

Edit: By Georgia against Arkansas fwiw.

Give them time. They'll top it. Grantham is making us pine for the days of Willie Martinez.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #43
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV/Idaho got picked up by ESPNU. 10:30 pm EST start time. Should be a real competitive game, with the Rebels having a strong shot to get their first win of the season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #44
wade moore
lolzcat

UMass up by 3 late in the 1st half against Michigan.

Maybe W&M's close loss to UMass at the beginning of the season wasn't so bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #45
MJ4H
Coordinator

Mallett 13-17 232 yds at half.

I will take that, but we need more points than 17.

Last edited by MJ4H : 09-18-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Ryan Mallett for Heisman
Old 09-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #46
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Mallett 13-17 232 yds at half.

I will take that, but we need more points than 17.

Don't worry. We got your back. I won't care (well, much) as long someone "accidently" hits that prick on the sideline really hard. Like, hear something snap hard. Of course, our team hasn't hit anybody hard all year, so I don't even give that much of a chance.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #47
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ole Miss is coming through in spades for me today, too, so far.

14-0 Vandy.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UNC regains the lead over GT 24-17 with 10 mins left in Q3.

Carolina averaging just over 5 ypc and is 11-13 passing. I couldn't imagine the GT defense getting worse than last year, but I'll be darned if they aren't well on their way to it.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #49
MJ4H
Coordinator

Murray has a tell for pass/run plays.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Assuming the espn.com pbp is right

4th and 7 at UGA 41 Ronnie Wingo Jr. rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Geo 43.

Why didn't Arkansas punt & try to pin Murray deep instead of offering momentum to UGA?

edit to add: Apparently the pbp is screwed, this is what it says now
3rd and 3 at UGA 41 Ronnie Wingo Jr. rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Geo 43.
4th and 5 at UGA 43 Ryan Mallett punt for 43 yards for a touchback.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote