Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #201
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Vince, you want to partner up and go digging? We could swap watch and dig actions.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #202
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Dola, at least I think we can do this. I'm still a bit clueless.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #203
Blade6119
Coordinator

Back after a long day of classes...be around most of the night
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #204
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm not sure that the team approach has as much merit today, given that nine people have their actions in already.

Alan, I agree that there are flaws with the plan as I outlined it. I'm not sure that this is a bad scheme relative to 'every man for himself', but it is far from an ideal approach.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #205
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, I guess I'll send something in.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #206
Vince
Pro Starter

Sorry guys, I was away.

While the partnering up theory sounds pretty good, I'm leery about letting the Pirates know exactly where any of us are. They all have Walkie Talkies and Replacement Batteries, so they are in touch with each other, and they know who they are. I can't see a way to privately tell someone where I'm going, so any partnership would require a full, open discussion of exactly what I/we are doing, so the Pirates would know exactly where we are at all times. If not, then the group can't be coordinated, and it might seem like someone is 'breaching etiquette' as Hoops put it.

I sent in my action a while back, just in case I couldn't get back to the computer, so I think I'm out of any potential group actions for tonight at least.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #207
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Someone help me with this. I know I have to move out to go dig. By my 5th AP, do I have to be back at the hut, assuming I don't camp out or anything?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #208
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Hmmm.. there is plus side to this plan if it worked flawlessly I think. but there seems like alot of holes in it also to me.

Some of the downsides I see, with no answer to are:

Uneven pairs (not only on first night, but other times through out.) leaving someone wide open to doing anything unchecked.

With 49 squares, and 8 pairs, you could fairly easily end up with pairs close enough to each other, that someone could sneak from one "pair" to the other square to kill someone.

If you are the digger, you have no ability to vouch for the person who is supposed to be watching you, or what they did that night. As far as you know they might not have even been in the same square as you.

You might either hamper certain items that miners decide to buy if they have to stick to their pairing, or you might risk them outing themselves, or render their special traits (for those with some) useless by putting them in a place that they couldn't easily use it without outing themselves.

What if one person chose to camp out, no one could pair up with him and thus leave him unchecked per say.

--- I guess I like the idea overall, just trying to figure out how some of this works. It still feels like our biggest element that we have going for us is our suprise and unpredictability. Doing this removes both of those for us, and broadcasts our plans and actions, while still leaving us in the dark about the pirates.
One of the teams could consist of 3 TH. One watches and two dig. Plus people on the same team could choose to camp together as well.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #209
Vince
Pro Starter

Hrm, well I'm on the way out, and I'll probably be out all night. See you guys on the flip side.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #210
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I's a gonna check out the moutain, so y'all leave me be...Don't care for any of you like lest you be stealin my gold...and I think you pirates we'll deal more than just my bark...you yutes, find your own way...unless you prove to me otherwise...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #211
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Sorry guys, I was away.

While the partnering up theory sounds pretty good, I'm leery about letting the Pirates know exactly where any of us are. They all have Walkie Talkies and Replacement Batteries, so they are in touch with each other, and they know who they are. I can't see a way to privately tell someone where I'm going, so any partnership would require a full, open discussion of exactly what I/we are doing, so the Pirates would know exactly where we are at all times. If not, then the group can't be coordinated, and it might seem like someone is 'breaching etiquette' as Hoops put it.

I sent in my action a while back, just in case I couldn't get back to the computer, so I think I'm out of any potential group actions for tonight at least.

Heh, I never thought of that. You're right, though. Maybe you could help me better understand what I need to do then.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #212
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Someone help me with this. I know I have to move out to go dig. By my 5th AP, do I have to be back at the hut, assuming I don't camp out or anything?
No, you automatically end up back at the hut, unless you camp.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #213
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes...uness you want to camp out
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #214
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

No -- you do not need to expend APs to get back to the hut. You end up walking back unless you decide to camp out.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #215
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Now my head hurts.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #216
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Heh, I never thought of that. You're right, though. Maybe you could help me better understand what I need to do then.

Well, you don't NEED to do anything but get some damned gold, and don't get killed in the process

I'm just going to wander around and dig until someone gives me something better to do, or I get enough gold to buy something cool.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #217
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
No -- you do not need to expend APs to get back to the hut. You end up walking back unless you decide to camp out.

Got it. Time to break out my 49er shirt.

You know, along these lines, I was thinking the other day of an old IBM game I played on a computer in, egad, '87 or '88. It had to deal with mining.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #218
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm leery about letting the Pirates know exactly where any of us are. They all have Walkie Talkies and Replacement Batteries, so they are in touch with each other, and they know who they are. I can't see a way to privately tell someone where I'm going, so any partnership would require a full, open discussion of exactly what I/we are doing, so the Pirates would know exactly where we are at all times. If not, then the group can't be coordinated, and it might seem like someone is 'breaching etiquette' as Hoops put it.
That is true and makes it difficult to partner without telegraphing. We could work together as a group by indicating who will dig and who will watch. As to where you dig and where or who you watch, that could be left up to the individual. Could even specify you dig in the outer section, meaning move as much as you can and dig once or you dig close, move one or two times and dig the rest. Still gives the pirates something to work with, but not much and we still get something out of it too. Do people do as they promised?, etc.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #219
kingfc22
Head Coach

I am digging. I'm going to be the MVP digger in this WW game.

Come on Pirates. Try and find me!!! Muuuuahhhhhhh.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #220
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kanye West even wrote a song about me. That is how good I am.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #221
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I am digging. I'm going to be the MVP digger in this WW game.

Come on Pirates. Try and find me!!! Muuuuahhhhhhh.

F-6

*sounds from the background of kingfc22 shouting "You sunk my battleship"*
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #222
saldana
Pro Starter

i think there is too much downside to the team thing, biggest being, lets say hoops and i go out together...no one except each of us really knows for sure what we are doing....if i tell hoops lets go to a6 and dig, i will watch you, there is absolutely no way to confirm that i ever went to a6..i could easily be in f2 killing someone else. unless i am missing something, there is no way around this unless we never get outside the 8 squares around the hut so we all have enough AP to walk, dig, and watch at different points of the day, and i doubt there will be enough gold in those squares to make the monopoly....add to that the fact that i dont want to advertise my location every day, and i think i am better off on my own (cue the gratuitous "sounds like a pirate because he doesnt want anyone to know where he is" speeches)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #223
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Kanye West even wrote a song about me. That is how good I am.

The College Dropout??
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #224
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
The College Dropout??
Exactly, that is why I don't have a real job.

Instead I just dig for gold every day.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #225
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I always loved C6 in Battleship since I would say "I'm seasix" like I was seasick. Oh man that was a stitch. (Please don't try and read anything into this in terms of the game).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #226
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Me thinks those days of the battleship led me to the Navy. Garr!
Old 02-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #227
hoopsguy
General Manager

Saldana, I'm not sure that there is a "sound like a pirate" strategy at this point - I'm looking at this as a discussion of options. In particular, I wanted to start conversation on potential team strategies because I think that:
1.) It is a little outside the box - which appeals to me
2.) I think that a group conversation on this has a good opportunity to generate a better plan than I would on my own
3.) Gives us something to do on Day 1 besides randomly accuse each other - plenty of time for that tomorrow during the "Night" cycle

In terms of the "no one really knows for sure what we are doing" - that is why we move it from day to day. The strategy here, if we get enough buy-in, is to force the pirates to play ball and thus restrict their movement. We create an environment where if they kill someone then they are going to be under increased scrutiny.

This depends on a strategy to generate enough space around the board to isolate the groups.

We do have the option of slowing the game up as well, by only having a few people go out each day. Just throwing this out there as an option. So only 8 people go out today digging - 4 groups of 2.

Or we go with something like 5 groups of 3, with Player A watching Player B on turns 1-2 (move/dig), everyone moves on turn 3 and Player B watching Player C on turns 4-5 (dig/dig). Just throwing that out there as another example of how this kind of strategy could work. The net is that we are not getting optimal gold because we are watching together, but we are keeping a watch on each other.

Again, at this point I'm not looking to do this tonight with over half of the actions already submitted. But I think there is room for multiple creative approaches to the treasure hunting process that enhance, not diminish, our chance for success.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #228
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I like the pairing up idea, but another draw back is after you announce where you're going to your "partner" you just announced it to the pirates too. Making both of you easy targets for them.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #229
hoopsguy
General Manager

that is why we move it from day to day = that is why we change up the group/team membership from day to day.

The thought made sense in my head, but much less as I read it on the board.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #230
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I understand you move it, but from what I read in BK's message on here if the pirates know where you are or were or where you started for example then they can kill you. Or did I just read it totally wrong?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #231
hoopsguy
General Manager

Sure, but if we are keeping our tight groups then we should know when someone has moved to a square outside of their orders. And if no one did this then we look at who are the partners for the guy who was killed.

The idea here is that we restrict their movements because they don't want to stand out from the group by going against "the plan". We sacrifice some potential to gain gold (use of watch actions) in the short term for greater security and to give us a shorter list of candidates in the event of a kill.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #232
Desnudo
Coordinator

So we can move diagonally right?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #233
Poli
FOFC Survivor

If we can I just screwed the pooch.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #234
Barkeep49
Coordinator

You can move diagonally yes.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #235
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
You can move diagonally yes.
Mind if I modify a PM?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #236
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Sure, but if we are keeping our tight groups then we should know when someone has moved to a square outside of their orders. And if no one did this then we look at who are the partners for the guy who was killed.

The idea here is that we restrict their movements because they don't want to stand out from the group by going against "the plan". We sacrifice some potential to gain gold (use of watch actions) in the short term for greater security and to give us a shorter list of candidates in the event of a kill.
if you guys want to try this, i will give it a shot, but someone is gonna have to tell me exactly how to spend my action points, cuz i am a bit confused
Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #237
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Mind if I modify a PM?
Not at all. Normally if you revise please note it in the PM title so I know that it's a revision.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #238
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
if you guys want to try this, i will give it a shot, but someone is gonna have to tell me exactly how to spend my action points, cuz i am a bit confused

I would like to get a little more clear on the rules, like how much the monopoly will cost, before we all turn into one big happy family. This ain't Russia, it's treasure hunting.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #239
Desnudo
Coordinator

All right, I'm out to find fortune and glory.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #240
Blade6119
Coordinator

Wow, i just got my orders in...cut it REAL close...8:59 lol...damn college interefering with my game
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:10 PM   #241
kingfc22
Head Coach

I love Goooold!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #242
Barkeep49
Coordinator

OK I have the results done, more or less. For the most part expect cookie cutter PMs with only the essential information, though occasionally I will do something more elaborate.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #243
Blade6119
Coordinator

Does my PM include finding a gold mine in either of the squares i dug in?
Demotivation
Old 02-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #244
saldana
Pro Starter

i am more anxious to see what the amount we need to win with is than anything at this point (assuming i am still alive, which would suck alot if i werent).
Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #245
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Does my PM include finding a gold mine in either of the squares i dug in?
probably not, although i think you get a special commendation from the government of Blahoop for not starting any fist fights in the thread on day one.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #246
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
probably not, although i think you get a special commendation from the government of Blahoop for not starting any fist fights in the thread on day one.
Oh, i did...but since im half of the government(not my role, but blahoop is half about me i can role play)...and like every other island nation, the leadership merely eliminated the opposition before he could be heared.
Demotivation
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #247
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Come on, big money...big money...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #248
Poli
FOFC Survivor

no whammies...no whammies...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #249
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
since im half of the government

Quote:
the leadership merely eliminated the opposition

I hope this doesn't mean that you eliminated the other half of the government?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #250
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
I hope this doesn't mean that you eliminated the other half of the government?
Not on day one...but if i keep reading your play the way i am i may start pushing for it soon...
Demotivation