Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #151
bhlloy
Coordinator

An election would be absolute carnage, but there's no other way out of it now. The Conservatives would be struggling to put candidates up in many of these seats at such short notice, they are already down at least 30 MPs who have either had the whip taken away or have said they won't stand again.

Ultimately about 45% of the voting population are dead set for Brexit and 45% are against it - in a single issue election I don't see how this is going to change anything at all. Big gains for the Lib Dems and Brexit party (if that is what they are calling themselves these days), huge losses for the Tories, a still massively divided parliament and more absolute chaos I guess.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #152
JPhillips
General Manager

Boris can't do anything right. Today he gave a speech attacking the opposition with a backdrop of police. He talked for so long, though, that a policewoman almost fainted and the crowd watching stopped Boris so she could sit before falling.

He's like a walking new season of Veep.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #153
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
An election would be absolute carnage, but there's no other way out of it now. The Conservatives would be struggling to put candidates up in many of these seats at such short notice, they are already down at least 30 MPs who have either had the whip taken away or have said they won't stand again.

Ultimately about 45% of the voting population are dead set for Brexit and 45% are against it - in a single issue election I don't see how this is going to change anything at all. Big gains for the Lib Dems and Brexit party (if that is what they are calling themselves these days), huge losses for the Tories, a still massively divided parliament and more absolute chaos I guess.

OTOH, if Boris decides to gun for a no-deal Brexit, the Brexit Party is willing to offer a non-aggression pact by not running against Conservative candidates. Which would staunch a considerable amount of the bleeding.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #154
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Meanwhile, as the prospect of an early General Election looms, nearly 200,000 people have applied to register to vote in just 72 hours - and more than half of them are under 35.- BBC
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #155
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
..I think there was some concern that a new election would basically occur with like days before the Brexit deadline...

I am no expert on British politics, but my understanding that once an election is called, Parliament disbands and the PM gains a lot of power to govern. So, BJ could just delay the vote to November and parliament couldn't stop him. I imagine even if they make the vote and specify a date for an ellection, he could claim a "state of emergency" and force the date later. They want to legally bind him to a delay before allowing a vote to be called.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #156
miami_fan
Coordinator

I woke up this morning to a text from my cousin in London. Two words.

BLACK ROD!

I get it now
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-10-2019 at 05:25 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #157
GrantDawg

The Supreme Court rules that the suspension of Parliament was unlawful, and has nullified it as it "never happened." This stuff just gets crazier.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #158
Flasch186
Coordinator

IMO the entirety of votes that have been affected by eastern bloc influence through campaigns via social media et al should be abandoned and revoted. They have flipped Ukraine/Crimea, flipped US Pres. politics, and have begun breaking up the EU. It's ridiculous that everyone stands back and doesn't say out loud the truth which is Nigel, Trump, Boris, while potentially having Nationalist tendencies obviously accepted and encouraged foreign influence to help get to the ends by any means necessary. I don't know where Treason begins and Where Treason ends but tell me what happens after the frog has been boiled?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #159
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Supreme Court of a country UNANIMOUSLY said that the leader of that country broke the law?

Can't relate.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #160
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

If a general election is declared based on what most know now of Brexit, would they still go Brexit?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #161
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
IMO the entirety of votes that have been affected by eastern bloc influence through campaigns via social media et al should be abandoned and revoted. They have flipped Ukraine/Crimea, flipped US Pres. politics, and have begun breaking up the EU. It's ridiculous that everyone stands back and doesn't say out loud the truth which is Nigel, Trump, Boris, while potentially having Nationalist tendencies obviously accepted and encouraged foreign influence to help get to the ends by any means necessary. I don't know where Treason begins and Where Treason ends but tell me what happens after the frog has been boiled?

So only nationalistic votes are those that have been tainted by eastern bloc influences? How do you figure this out?

Heck, most of the Trump voters I know with an open mind, are casting an eye towards Yang. Warren, Sanders, and many others scare them with wanting to give everything away. Interestingly enough, Yang intrigues many of them because of the topics he brings up for discussion. What turns me off about Yang is I do not think his plan To pay for his proposals will work.

The others I know that voted for Trump would not vote for the Democrat nominee in anyway shape or form.

In my eyes, the Eastern bloc attempts to influence the election did not do a lot. I think the impact was after the election, the creation of doubt regarding results, the vitriol and animus towards each other. When I check Facebook, I see nothing but those on the left calling those that support Trump Nazis. I see those on the right calling those on the left Snowflakes, morons, etc. How are we supposed to come to an agreement, or operate a government, if we look at the other side as a demon that needs to be stopped at all costs?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #162
JPhillips
General Manager

There are plenty of documented attempts by Russia and others to sow discord, both before and after the election. Just yesterday Facebook closed a page followed by over a million that had ties to Ukrainian right-wingers.

And things are worse in Europe, with Russia openly funding right-wing parties.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #163
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
If a general election is declared based on what most know now of Brexit, would they still go Brexit?

I think it's the only way to find out now, but we're in a situation that I've never known before (along with many others)

The minority government wants an election
The main opposition doesn't want an election
The opposition parties want Johnson to resign and an emergency government formed
The opposition parties will not support a no confidence vote that would force an emergency government to be formed
There is no agreement on who would be lead an emergency government, or which party they should come from

Only a little bit confusing...

Last edited by AlexB : 09-24-2019 at 02:23 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #164
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are plenty of documented attempts by Russia and others to sow discord, both before and after the election. Just yesterday Facebook closed a page followed by over a million that had ties to Ukrainian right-wingers.

And things are worse in Europe, with Russia openly funding right-wing parties.

This. Warhammer, it's clear as day what the Soviet bloc and anti-democracy intentions were. They're constantly having to play whack a mole to shut down Korean, Chinese, Iranian, Anarchist influence wearing sheep's clothing. They can't keep up there's so much and they have been given all the ammo needed to tap into the deepest seeds of people's core that they hide in the caverns, and mineshafts of their Psyche (see the movie Us). Remember...the good ones aren't coming here... just the rapists and drug dealers. Rinse Repeat ad nauseum on the topic du jour. Replace Nationalist with anything that is Anti-democratic or that weakens their enemies (us) and they're doing it. We do it to them so you don't think that they're doing it to us? Shit, the very top of government, when Trumps not looking, say the same damn thing on record that they're doing it right, frickin now.

Yes, they were able to tilt things on very close elections the way that they wanted by preying upon the sheeple (maybe not your tiny little bubble of people but extrapolated out). On MANY polls after the fact, when things that some believed to be true (especially in the Brexit autopsy) were debunked, the masses have said that they would vote differently. Not in the states though... Trump could shoot someone in Times Square and get away with it. We've seen that he might've been right.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:09 AM   #165
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
So only nationalistic votes are those that have been tainted by eastern bloc influences? How do you figure this out?

Heck, most of the Trump voters I know with an open mind, are casting an eye towards Yang. Warren, Sanders, and many others scare them with wanting to give everything away. Interestingly enough, Yang intrigues many of them because of the topics he brings up for discussion. What turns me off about Yang is I do not think his plan To pay for his proposals will work.

The others I know that voted for Trump would not vote for the Democrat nominee in anyway shape or form.

In my eyes, the Eastern bloc attempts to influence the election did not do a lot. I think the impact was after the election, the creation of doubt regarding results, the vitriol and animus towards each other. When I check Facebook, I see nothing but those on the left calling those that support Trump Nazis. I see those on the right calling those on the left Snowflakes, morons, etc. How are we supposed to come to an agreement, or operate a government, if we look at the other side as a demon that needs to be stopped at all costs?

Ask McConnell?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #166
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I think it's the only way to find out now, but we're in a situation that I've never known before (along with many others)

The minority government wants an election
The main opposition doesn't want an election
The opposition parties want Johnson to resign and an emergency government formed
The opposition parties will not support a no confidence vote that would force an emergency government to be formed
There is no agreement on who would be lead an emergency government, or which party they should come from

Only a little bit confusing...

I read this with the Benny Hill theme in my mind. It is just proof politics wherever you are from is just crazy.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #167
AlexB
Pro Starter

Spoiler

Last edited by AlexB : 09-25-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags due to image size
Old 09-28-2019, 03:14 AM   #168
Hammer
College Prospect

I live in a Tory heartland. Feels like 1930s Germany. Fake news and propaganda has brainwashed so many. If it is on Facebook it must be real and should be shared!

Embarrassing travelling this summer. Tempted to put on an Aussie accent.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #169
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I live in a Tory heartland. Feels like 1930s Germany. Fake news and propaganda has brainwashed so many. If it is on Facebook it must be real and should be shared!

Embarrassing travelling this summer. Tempted to put on an Aussie accent.

Heck, live where I live (the heart of Trump country). It is the same deal, except the people have guns.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #170
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Heck, live where I live (the heart of Trump country). It is the same deal, except the people have guns.

Haha, they are very similar in their ideologies. I would sooner have Trump personally, at least he has an eye for the economy. But then, perhaps not. The whole gun thing would drive me insane. Just defies common sense. As an outsider this right to bare arms business sound like nonsense. Clearly it is getting people killed. Pretty close call between them probably.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #171
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 10-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #172
Izulde
Head Coach

Withdrawal Agreement passes second reading, but BoJo's three day timeline voted down. So now it's either short extension and battle to get deal through or January extension and fight for a new election.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:51 AM   #173
miami_fan
Coordinator

Brexit: European leaders agree extension to 31 January - BBC News

This just put the UK back to where they were prior to the Brexit vote with 3+ years of animosity added on.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #174
Edward64
Head Coach

So if Boris can get agreement on another election soon isn't this the best route to decide once and for all the will of the people? After 3+ years of this, I think 99% of UK are well educated on the pros and cons of Brexit, no excuses this time on "I didn't know what it would mean".
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #175
JPhillips
General Manager

I get the problems with Corbyn, but politically it seems insane that there's really not a strong pro-remain party.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #176
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well there is... it's the Liberal Democrats.

(and yes, the vast, vast majority of Labour are remainers, but Corbyn is not really)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-28-2019 at 01:10 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #177
AlexB
Pro Starter

Was only saying today it’s amazing that the opposition doesn’t have a double digit lead in the polls right now, but it shows how bad Corbyn is by the fact that it’s the Tories have the double digit lead...
Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #178
miami_fan
Coordinator

The date has been set. The General Election will be held on December 12
Old 10-30-2019, 05:26 AM   #179
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I will miss John Bercow. He's quite fun to watch as the speaker.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #180
miami_fan
Coordinator

Tories or Labour?
Johnson or Corbyn?

Election Day in the UK has begun.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #181
miami_fan
Coordinator

If the exit polling is correct, Labour got their asses handed to them.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #182
Izulde
Head Coach

I figured Labour would take a bath - I didn't project *this* badly, though. I've been keeping an eye on the campaign and though the Tories would win a majority because they were running smart messaging, Labour was a hot mess, and Lib Dems shot themselves in the foot by committing to A50 revocation.

Swinson looks she lost her seat, which is perfectly emblematic of her unforced campaign error.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #183
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Labour deserves it. Corbyn is a joke.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #184
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Labour deserves it. Corbyn is a joke.

Just saw a polling question on who do you trust regarding the NHS and Johnson beat Corbyn by ten points. He's been a fucking disaster.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #185
AlexB
Pro Starter

It looks like Jo Swinson has gone from saying at one point that she was a realistic contender for PM in this election... to losing her seat.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Assuming the exit polls hold up you could knock me over with a feather at the outcome. Less than 24 hours ago I'd basically given the situation up as a lost cause.

Happy to be (apparently) wrong about that.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #187
bhlloy
Coordinator

You could have probably picked any moderate Labour backbencher to lead the party 3 years ago and they would have won this election. To have managed to get blown out in an election like this given how badly the Tories have fucked up Brexit and how unpopular Boris is, is an absolutely Herculean task. It’s impressive in terms of sheer incompetence.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #188
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Assuming the exit polls hold up you could knock me over with a feather at the outcome. Less than 24 hours ago I'd basically given the situation up as a lost cause.

Happy to be (apparently) wrong about that.

Wait, what? Did you just think every poll going back 3 months was wrong?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wait, what? Did you just think every poll going back 3 months was wrong?

I bought into the trending, which combined with my natural tendency toward doom & gloom.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #190
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You could have probably picked any moderate Labour backbencher to lead the party 3 years ago and they would have won this election. To have managed to get blown out in an election like this given how badly the Tories have fucked up Brexit and how unpopular Boris is, is an absolutely Herculean task. It’s impressive in terms of sheer incompetence.

Moderates didn't fare well either. The Liberal Democrat leader lost her seat. In a lot of constituencies, the Labour losses seemed to go directly to the Brexit Party (not even to the Conservatives!), which helped Conservatives win those seats.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50766123

Interestingly I didn't know that the Brexit Party refused to run in 317 safe Conservative seats.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-12-2019 at 08:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Moderates didn't fare well either. The Liberal Democrat leader lost her seat. In a lot of constituencies, the Labour losses seemed to go directly to the Brexit Party (not even to the Conservatives!), which helped Conservatives win those seats.

Election results 2019: Brexit Party 'killed Lib Dems and hurt Labour' - Farage - BBC News

Interestingly I didn't know that the Brexit Party refused to run in 317 safe Conservative seats.

Similar (but much smaler scale) three way deal by Remainers in 11 of the 40 Wales. Preferred LD candidate stood down in Canterbury to help Labour hold on there (a substitute LD was eventually put up)
Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #192
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Any chance we get Scotland voting to leave the UK and remain in the EU? (Scexit?)
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #193
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking that's a distinct possibility.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #194
bhlloy
Coordinator

Was chatting to my friend who is reasonably high in the home office earlier - his take is that Johnson is going to put his fingers in his ears for 5 years and just ignore it - although the SNP will try there’s nothing they can do constitutionally as the decision to allow another referendum has to come from Westminster.

They also can’t just stay in the EU post Brexit - they’d have to apply for reentry. The one thing is certain that IndyRef2 would overwhelmingly be in favor of leaving the UK.

Possibly more telling is that Nationalist MPs now have a majority over Unionists in Northern Ireland. I think there’s a real possibility that the UK only contains two constituents in the next 10-15 years.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:47 PM   #195
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'd feel worse for the UK if my own government wasn't so hopelessly inept and corrupt. Feeling apathetic about politics in general, which I guess means the current system is working just as intended.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #196
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, the Brits / UK have spoken (right?).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #197
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's not even the result, it's the lack of any decent candidates on either sides. It's the same problem here. Never thought I'd ask for better pay for politicians, but I don't know how else you get some people with actual ability to want to step into politics rather than the caricatures and cockroaches that end up in these positions now.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #198
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I blame the voters more than the quality of politicians.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 12-13-2019 at 03:35 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #199
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So do I. It's not the pay of the politicians that's the problem, it's the fact that a lot of the better candidates get weeded out earlier because they aren't what the people want, and a lot of others don't run because they'll never make it through that gauntlet and they know it. The electorate themselves needs to make better decisions.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #200
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
So do I. It's not the pay of the politicians that's the problem, it's the fact that a lot of the better candidates get weeded out earlier because they aren't what the people want, and a lot of others don't run because they'll never make it through that gauntlet and they know it. The electorate themselves needs to make better decisions.

If you were a decent person, who would want to go through the wringer and potentially have falsehoods and be drug through the mud? Having to go through all that takes not only a strong will, but the rest of your friends and family have to be just as strong as well.

Add to that, the partisan atmosphere where people become completely unhinged if you are for the other side. I have seen people that have been friends (real friends, not online friends) end friendships over something benign that someone posted online in support of one side or the other. As if that trumps how they act and treat you in real life.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote