Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #201
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Chaos Monkey is just my general term for random unexpected shit happening.

I think that Seattle and Carolina will each be really good this year and win their division.

I think that both the Saints and Rams will have a hangover season. I put the Saints in as a WC, but that was as much of a homer pick as anything. Could have been the Rams just as easily. (I don't trust Wentz's health, or it could have been the Eagles, too).

And, yeah, the Rams could easily go 13-3 and win the Super Bowl for all the reasons you stated. But this is the NFL. There's always a team expected to finish at the bottom of its division who makes the playoffs and a team expected to win its division who misses the playoffs.

Bill Belichick wins the AFC East, and everything else is up for grabs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #202
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Chaos Monkey is just my general term for random unexpected shit happening.

I think that Seattle and Carolina will each be really good this year and win their division.

I think that both the Saints and Rams will have a hangover season. I put the Saints in as a WC, but that was as much of a homer pick as anything. Could have been the Rams just as easily. (I don't trust Wentz's health, or it could have been the Eagles, too).

And, yeah, the Rams could easily go 13-3 and win the Super Bowl for all the reasons you stated. But this is the NFL. There's always a team expected to finish at the bottom of its division who makes the playoffs and a team expected to win its division who misses the playoffs.

Bill Belichick wins the AFC East, and everything else is up for grabs.

Hard to argue with your logic hehe.

I think the Saints will be right back there too. A little regression but not much.

My pick for the drop is the Bears. They got by on great D, but that D took some hits this offseason. So I expect the D to drop back from phenomenal to just very good, forcing the team to turn to Trubisky more to win for them. And they will discover he is not that QB. More Kirk Cousins than Drew Brees.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #203
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Missing the reference. What's the Chaos Monkey?

It could certainly happen and I, of course, am biased, but short of some major injury issues (conceivable) I don't see it happening.

The offense should be better. Goff a year better, Cooks-Woods-Kupp all back and healthy, Gurley may have the knee drama but they addressed that by drafting Henderson. And McVay is like a mad genius. The line has one major hole to fill, as they lost Saffold, but replacing Sullivan at C is a step up (he was not good).

On D, they lost major players on all three levels in Suh, Barron and Joyner, but they still have All-Universe Donald, Fowler, Brockers, Littleon, Peters, Talib and Johnson, and they added Weddle and Matthews as solid vet depth. That is still a really good D, with a very strong DC in Phillips.

We'll see, but I see them as plenty capable of not only getting back to the playoffs but back to the Super Bowl again.

The defense will be upgraded. Rapp and Weddle are upgrades over Joyner last year (Joyner the year before is another question).

The offense will be all about the offensive line. If they give Goff time, the offense will be fine. Reynolds got major playing time and contributed last year, this is a plus, because the Rams are now 4 deep at WR. A Kupp injury this year will not be as bad as last year (will still hurt since he is Goff's security blanket). Sullivan was replacement level last year. Unless Allen completely craps the bed, that should, at least, be a minor upgrade. Noteboom will not play at the same level as Saffold last year, but he is solid. Whitworth's play the last few years has been otherworldly, there will likely be some regression, but they should be fine.

That said, they will still struggle against teams that can pressure the QB without having to blitz. So teams like the Bears, Eagles, and Pats will give them trouble, but I have faith that McVay will have some new wrinkles in the offense to counter that.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #204
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm not even 100% sure what Antonio Brown is trying to convey here

Old 09-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #205
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not clear....
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #206
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well we apparently all have to pay for something.

Does he accept MasterCard?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seems likely that neither is Antonio.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #208
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #209
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Brady is famously a health/workout freak.

Brees is one of those ultra clean cut guys who just seems to sincerely and honestly be happy for all his teammates going out for beers and burgers and then the club, but he's just going to have a lowfat yogurt, read the Bible with his wife, and go to bed early tonight.
Plus Brees was given up on by his first team, had another refuse to clear him medically in FA, and plenty of outsiders(/Boston media) have wanted Brady out the door for a decade plus. Anyone in their right mind would've taken Andrew Luck long term over either 5 years ago. They have good support systems around them & the character/work ethic that leads to long term success, but it's luck that both are still good 20 years after being drafted.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #210
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
What's the over/under for the Dolphins win total with that roster now they've basically tried to jettison their best players?

AFC win-total projections: Patriots No. 1, Texans atop division - NFL.com

Quote:
Miami Dolphins: 3.6 wins
Ceiling: 4.2
Floor: 2.4

Efficiency and versatility at the safety position has increased in value as passing on first down and tight end and running back pass catching has increased. Minkah Fitzpatrick excelled in a number of roles as a rookie and shows great potential for developing into one of the league's best at defending slot pass catchers. His versatility will be one of the building blocks for the Dolphins long-term.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Raiders reportedly 'planning to suspend' Antonio Brown after incident between WR and GM Mike Mayock - CBSSports.com

Who would have predicted this?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #212
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just LOL at the Raiders and AB
Old 09-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #213
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Raiders are looking good in pre-season
Old 09-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #214
bhlloy
Coordinator

Where on earth did I leave that popcorn emoji?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #215
molson
General Manager

Raiders (paraphrasing): "Hey, you're supposed to come to work and stuff, we're paying you."

Anotnio Brown (exact quote): "When your own team want to hate but there's no stopping now devil is a lie. Everyone go to pay this year so we clear"

Ah, OK. I can see both sides of this, they both make great points.

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Where on earth did I leave that popcorn emoji?

Check that new snacks bowl on the table.

You know, the one that looks a lot like an old football helmet.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #217
BishopMVP
Coordinator

They'll give in and Brown will win. Just like he did in Pittsburgh, just like he did with the contract, just like he knows he will here.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #218
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
They'll give in and Brown will win. Just like he did in Pittsburgh, just like he did with the contract, just like he knows he will here.

I dunno. For a guy like Mayock, this is his first real test about showing he can be a GM and run a football team rather than be a pundit, and Gruden probably isn't the right guy to fuck with. I think there's a very solid chance they will go after his bonus and just walk away at this point.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #219
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The difference is they will be lucky to win 5 games (whereas Pitt was always trying to win a Super Bowl), Gruden and Mayock have a ton of job security and the whole organization is in a holding pattern until Vegas. I could see them holding a strong line with AB this season.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #220
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The line has to be "Show up and practice and play or we will take away every dollar that we are allowed to take away (including recouping bonus) under the CBA."

At this point, I think that the fans would be behind the team just getting rid of AB and getting the cap relief.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #221
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I might keep him under contract and suspended myself. Screw him. He can wise up his act and come prepared to play, or he can sit on his ass on suspension with no money and no legal way to play for another team until the end of his contract.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #222
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I might keep him under contract and suspended myself. Screw him. He can wise up his act and come prepared to play, or he can sit on his ass on suspension with no money and no legal way to play for another team until the end of his contract.

I would guess they would not be allowed to suspend him more than a game or two. He will win a grievance for a suspension over that.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #223
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

BTW, he actually hasn't gotten paid a dime yet. Antonio Brown may end up getting no payment at all from the Raiders – ProFootballTalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #224
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Woah. The signing bonus was only $1,000,000? And he actually had to do things to earn it?

I blame the agent for that. He had to know how crazy AB was. You've got to get that money up front.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #225
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So how long until Antonio Brown is a Patriot?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #226
molson
General Manager

NFL Fans Already Worried Antonio Brown Is Going To Land With Patriots | New England Patriots | NESN.com

It seems obvious

Unless he's just too far gone mentally.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #227
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, but that anthem singer looked and sounded extremely pretentious and pompous.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #229
bhlloy
Coordinator

Bears defense looks scary already, although the Packers seem to have a bit of a questionable blocking scheme as well right now
Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #230
tarcone
Coordinator

Did you see the HULU commercial? Pretty risque in todays environment

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #231
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Snooooooore.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #232
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Trubisky still doing what I saw a lot of him doing last year - lock in on one receiver, and ignore everyone else.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #234
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Super Bowl favorites eh?

Old 09-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #235
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow what a prelude to an exciting NFL season
Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #236
bhlloy
Coordinator

Some serious rule emphases coming to help offenses after that snooze fest. They might just start calling defensive holding on every pass.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #237
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It's been sloppy football early in every season recently.

I understand why Cohen will still split touches with him, but I like the parts of the Bears offense that involved David Montgomery more than the parts that focused on Mike Davis & Cordarrelle Patterson.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #238
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Montgomery looked pretty strong in limited action. Trubisky just couldn't find an open receiver to save his soul.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #239
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Bears were just hopeless on offense. I think Nagy can take a lot of credit for that with his predictable play calling and not knowing how to attack the Packers.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #240
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Montgomery looked pretty strong in limited action. Trubisky just couldn't find an open receiver to save his soul.

Trubisky looked far better and more consistent than last season. He had 2 bad throws, but his receivers were doing him no favors. Overall I felt he did his job.

I already hate seeing Patterson on the field. Montgomery and Davis both looked solid. Cohen not so much.

The Oline should be better and needs to play better.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #241
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The Bears were just hopeless on offense. I think Nagy can take a lot of credit for that with his predictable play calling and not knowing how to attack the Packers.

I'm hoping this can be chalked up to the starters not really playing at all during the preseason.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #242
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I already hate seeing Patterson on the field.

Gabriel is basically the same player with a lot better hands on offense. As a kick returner you will love Patterson however. You also have Cohen taking them little flat screen passes. Not sure how he plans to keep 3 players involved that basically get their yardage the same way. Did Burton even play tonight?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-05-2019 at 11:28 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #243
RainMaker
General Manager

Same Bears team. Defense is real good and offense is bad. Trubisky is brutally incompetent. I know Chicago fans were hoping for a Super Bowl run, but you just can't do it with a QB that bad. Should have made a run at someone like Foles.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #244
RainMaker
General Manager

Also how the fuck do you throw 45 times in a 10-3 game? Nagy showing yet again that Fangio was the reason that team was good.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #245
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Did Burton even play tonight?

He was inactive. Injury.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 AM   #246
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Given how little people play in the preseason, having these huge division games in week one doesn’t make a lot of sense. You could tell neither QB had played in 9+ months. The first two weeks should be non-conference like most college games. But, I will take the win for GB. If this D is half decent and Rodgers can get a handle on LaFleur’s system, this team might be decent.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:56 AM   #247
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Given how little people play in the preseason, having these huge division games in week one doesn’t make a lot of sense. You could tell neither QB had played in 9+ months. The first two weeks should be non-conference like most college games. But, I will take the win for GB. If this D is half decent and Rodgers can get a handle on LaFleur’s system, this team might be decent.

Or, ya know, the teams could play them at least a little bit in preseason to avoid that.

But I don't really think it was much of that. More the Bears D is really good, and the Bears QB is not really good.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-06-2019 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Correction for a mispell
Old 09-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #248
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Trubisky looked far better and more consistent than last season. He had 2 bad throws, but his receivers were doing him no favors. Overall I felt he did his job.

I already hate seeing Patterson on the field. Montgomery and Davis both looked solid. Cohen not so much.

Robinson had a couple nice catches up the sideline, Gabriel at least one good one on a comebacker, Montgomery the nice one on his only target. Trubisky was completely locking on one guy, and while he did a good job evading pressure he seemed like he was always missing open guys after the play broke down.

If I'm looking at the pbp correctly the last called Bears run was with 9:47 left in the 3rd & they called 33 straight pass plays after that despite never being down more than a score. (And the Bears DL actually getting even better pressure than the Packers imo.)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #249
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Some people have the worst luck in life:

O.J. Simpson is Upset He Chose Andrew Luck & Antonio Brown For His Fantasy Football Team (VIDEO) | Total Pro Sports
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #250
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

I saw many many plays, even with the limited angles we had, where there were very open receivers. Watch his eyes - he fixates on a single receiver.