Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #151
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yes, that may have been one of the worst episodes in the 4 odd seaosn of the show if not the worst. I got no idea why they decided to revert Ellen back to the bitch role. One thing that I think was ok was getting rid of the Caprica baby since I think the Hera baby story line will be a better story line going down the strecth after spending so much plot and blood on her in Season 2 or 3.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #152
Tigercat
College Starter

I like the episode for what it did, and think it was a very important episode. It brought to the true spotlight what the "good" objective is probably going to be, bringing Cylon and Humans together as one people. The characters are turning the corner to reconcile what they are, what their prejudices and weaknesses are, and what they have to do to survive despite their limitations.

Ellen's Cylon persona and her psycho wife persona are both part of who she is, and she has to find a way to balance them. The memory wiped human personalities of the 5 were/are still true to their original personas, just as Boomer still acted like her model even when she didn't know she was a cylon. Ellen even said that her and Tigh had been fighting in a similar fashion for 1000s of years.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #153
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, this was clearly an exposition episode, just way too much exposition. I'm hoping it will pay off in the weeks ahead. Baltar has an all-chick army, the Final Five are now tied to the humans through Hera, the Galactica appears to be falling apart and Anders is back awake -- let's see what he knows.

I'm intrigued by the flash scene for next week of Tyrol and Boomer. Is this a flashback? Hmmm ...
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #154
Bad-example
College Starter

Nice piano.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #155
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Not the most satisfying episode I've seen, and I'm having a particularly tough time following why Tyrol voted to leave Galactica.

It was nice to see Head-Six again.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #156
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Not the most satisfying episode I've seen, and I'm having a particularly tough time following why Tyrol voted to leave Galactica.

It was nice to see Head-Six again.

Tyrol's vote to leave was my biggest gripe with the episode. I just didn't get his motivation for voting to leave unless it was to get away from Boomer, and even then I don't think it was consistent with his overall character as we know it. Seems like it was more of a matter of convenience to tie the vote at 2 and give the swing vote to Ellen. Other than that, I agree with others - not the most exciting episode but hopefully it will pay off in the future.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #157
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Yeah, Tyrol's decision just doesn't make much sense there, apart from being a plot advancing contrivance.

And while we're griping, how did Boomer find the fleet?

Last edited by Fonzie : 02-21-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #158
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Dola-

I think we were given a gigantic tip in this episode, via the Starbuck/Tyrol bar scene. I don't think this is a "spoiler" per se, as it is simply my speculation, but I'll tag it as a spoiler anyways:

Spoiler
Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #159
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Yeah, this was clearly an exposition episode, just way too much exposition.

Depends on how the rest of the season plays out, right? Maybe a good idea to cram a lot of exposition into one episode to allow the rest to have to be less cramming it all in.

Ellen's nature coming back out again was a nice touch. And Baltar thinking little Gaius was named after him, LOL!! Classic Baltar.

Though it seems he's going to have a nice humanitarian army. He just has to make sure it doesn't slip from him to Paula. But Gaius is a far better orator and more charismatic.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola-

I think we were given a gigantic tip in this episode, via the Starbuck/Tyrol bar scene.

Yeah, I actually thought that was pretty funny. Almost did a spit take with the Coke Zero I was drinking.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #161
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm having a particularly tough time following why Tyrol voted to leave Galactica.

From the Trib's interview with Jane Espenson:

Jane Espenson talks about 'Deadlock,' Friday's episode of 'Battlestar Galactica' | The Watcher

Quote:
Why does Galen Tyrol want to leave the fleet? I thought the fact that he took his old job as Chief meant that he wanted to stay with the Galactica.

He took his job back because Adama asked him to. But he is increasingly distanced from his old life.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #162
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Not surprised at all by Tyrol's decision. There's nothing for him in the fleet anymore but scorn from the humans because he's a Cylon. Wife dead, baby not his, a job only at Adama's leisure, estranged from his old friends. I'd leave too.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #163
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I know I am late to bringing this up, but I finally got to hear this podcast and delaying it for a bit. This is the most recent interview with Richard Hatch after his character's demise on the show. It was cool to hear how he approached this character and to what lengths he goes through to defend it.

Episode #66 - “Richard Hatch Interview” | Galactica Quorum - "It's a Frakkin' Podcast"
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #164
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, ok, I listened to perhaps the first 4-5 minutes of that and I had to stop. Richard Hatch is such a weasely speaker. I feel slimey now after his defense of the Zareck character. He does go to great lengths to defend it but based on the information we have from the show his take on the character is nothing like what the backstory offers us.

He blew up a building and murdered a shitload of people in doing so, thats why he was in prison. Thats not a freedom fighter, it is, as everyone else on the show kept saying, a terrorist.

gah...I feel dirty now. I'm gonna go take a shower.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #165
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I wonder if Tyrol's eventually going to find out that Tory killed Cally. Given (especially) the news from Anders that Tory & Tyrol used to be an item thousands of years ago, it could get interesting.

Might also change his mind on staying with the Cylons.

Maybe Tyrol surreptitiously becomes Galactica's Hybrid, tells everyone to fuck off out of the ship, and then flies on into the horizon....
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #166
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Richard Hatch is just... creepy. Read up a little on how deeply he bought into the BSG bit; he is the character he's playing, not more than that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #167
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure I understood it all, have to rewatch it at 12am and check out the scifi thread ... but pretty cool episode.

I think this means Starbuck is the daughter of Daniel?
Why do they keep doing this to the chief? I was so happy for him!
and ... no Baltar.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #168
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well frak me that was awesome. Started out slow, but what payoff! Seems like we got verification that Daniel (ie, the 7) was Starbuck's dad (too much alcohol will make you start hallucinating your father folks!). And Hera knew the All Along the Watchtower too it seems.

Though Hera is, of course, with Boomer, who, in leaving, fraked up the ship pretty bad. WTG Chief!

I wonder if Ellen was right and that was Cavil's plan all along. Or was Boomer just improvising?

I guess this means Starbuck is a hybrid. So that's two. Her and Hera.

Oh, and nice line about when Tigh went to see his dead son. Eyes open... kinda like Anders is now. And some talk about Anders rebooting... hmmm.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #169
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think this means Starbuck is the daughter of Daniel?

I think this actually confirms that's the case.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #170
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh... and did Roslin just die at the end?!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #171
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Well, I suppose that's a HUGE hint at who Starbuck's father is. Interesting to see how this plays out.

The scenes from next week are interesting. Is that someone being resurrected? Uh ... and it kind of looked like Anders. Hmmmm ...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #172
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why do they keep doing this to the chief? I was so happy for him!
Yeah, I bought into Boomer too. She's a frakked up chick. She better be lucky the Galactica is falling apart because if Tyrol, Helo and Adama ever get a hold of her, she ain't going out the airlock. It will be a lot worse than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh... and did Roslin just die at the end?!
I don't think so. Pretty sure she'll make it to the end of the finale. There does seem to be some sort of connection between Hera and Roslin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Richard Hatch is just... creepy. Read up a little on how deeply he bought into the BSG bit; he is the character he's playing, not more than that.
He's more sad than creepy. He's the guy who was homecoming king and that was the highlight of his life and he couldn't get over it. He thought the first Battlestar Galactica was his ticket -- everyone thought BG was going to be a smash, and it was the most expensive TV pilot made to date -- and even sometime after that. Then the show crashed and burned. He always believed it was going to come back and wrote novels and even tried to produce his revival movie with original cast members continuing the story. He even denounced the new version until they bought ... err, brought ... him on board as a cast member. This is is his biggest paying job since the original.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #173
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think so. Pretty sure she'll make it to the end of the finale. There does seem to be some sort of connection between Hera and Roslin

Probably, but what a mindfrak that would be.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #174
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
There does seem to be some sort of connection between Hera and Roslin.

Hera's hybrid blood runs through Roslin's veins, used as the first cure for her cancer.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #175
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
He's more sad than creepy. He's the guy who was homecoming king and that was the highlight of his life and he couldn't get over it. He thought the first Battlestar Galactica was his ticket -- everyone thought BG was going to be a smash, and it was the most expensive TV pilot made to date -- and even sometime after that. Then the show crashed and burned. He always believed it was going to come back and wrote novels and even tried to produce his revival movie with original cast members continuing the story. He even denounced the new version until they bought ... err, brought ... him on board as a cast member. This is is his biggest paying job since the original.

Good call. He's also probably pissed that Dirk Benedict got the A-Team and the name Richard Hatch will forever be linked to the naked gay guy who won the first Survivor.

Just got around to seeing Friday's episode tonight. Good stuff and I'm glad they're ending it this season. At the beginning of the episode, I was thinking that the storylines are getting a little tangled and maybe difficult to manage. Boomer and Tyrol's storyline has a bit of history to it that was a little ignored throughout the last season it seemed...but that made his motivation to help her seem more real considering everything he's been through and how she was his true love.

Was the Cylon delegate Caprica Six?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #176
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, I think it was another Six. They called her by another name (which I can't remember now).
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #177
Tigercat
College Starter

Did Tyrol kill that 8? At first I was pissed off at what they did to the character, because I thought he did murder that 8. But if he knowingly just knocked her out to buy Boomer time, which I am leaning towards now, I could live with that.

I just think its a slight to the character if he killed her; and I am also a little concerned that the show's narrative didn't seem to care if she was dead or not. (That's almost as bad as having Tyrol kill her, saying it doesn't matter what he did to her.) It may be something that will be fully addressed next week though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #178
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Battlestar Galactica-ish: The Battlestar Galactica Reboot You Didn't See

just watch
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #179
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I can't believe we're only 3 episodes away from THE END!

Any news on how the final two episodes are going to play out? Is it true that they're going to air it as two seperate halves of a three-hour series finale?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #180
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, I think it was another Six. They called her by another name (which I can't remember now).

Sonja.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I can't believe we're only 3 episodes away from THE END!

Any news on how the final two episodes are going to play out? Is it true that they're going to air it as two seperate halves of a three-hour series finale?

I think I heard is that the 13th will be the first hour of the finale and then a 2 hour "movie" to finish it off on the 20th.

And it seems on Sci-Fi's online schedule that's the case, with Daybreak, pt. 1 being shown on the 13th and Daybreak pt. 2 (2 hours) is being shown on the 20th.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #182
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Well frak me that was awesome. Started out slow, but what payoff! Seems like we got verification that Daniel (ie, the 7) was Starbuck's dad (too much alcohol will make you start hallucinating your father folks!).

Here's my guess (not all my own original thinking, btw): A Daniel escapes what Cavil does to the 7s, becomes Starbuck's father, and then leaves and somehow decides to find Earth, and does.

This Daniel finds technology that predates even the original 13th tribe and can be used to "call" to members of the 13th tribe (i.e. All Along the Watchtower). This Daniel is also responsible for resurrecting Starbuck after she crashed on Earth. This Daniel is also responsible for the "head-characters" that various people have had, along with Roslin's visions, etc....

Basically, Daniel as deus ex machina. Eventually, he'll call them to either a) the original Earth or b) their new future home. After the inevitable showdown with Cavil, of course.

Quote:
I wonder if Ellen was right and that was Cavil's plan all along. Or was Boomer just improvising?

I could see Boomer not being able to bring herself to let Ellen be killed by Cavil (original "skinjob" programming by Cavil here). In this instance she'd be looking for a way to escape Galactica (of course), but would know she'd need to bring something of value back to Cavil to avoid being killed by him herself. Hera would be enough. Hera + Tyrol would have been more than enough.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #183
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So Baltar's arrogance revels to the fleet that Kara is a zombie or vampire. Good going, Gaius.

And Galactica is to be retired. Seems from the promos for next week that Galactica is going to be used on one last mission... going up against Cavil's forces to get Hera back. Should be damned fun!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #184
Edward64
Head Coach

Somewhat slow episode but nice build up to the finale. It would be nice if they had the 'final battle' 2-3 episodes before the end and let us experience/enjoy the 'after' when they find a place to settle down (ex. opera house planet?).

Anyone remember ST Voyager. It was they finally got home and it ended ... no backstory.

Quote:
So Baltar's arrogance revels to the fleet that Kara is a zombie or vampire. Good going, Gaius.
That slap was so weak, too girly ... and this was from somewhat doing her thing in the toilet with Baltar shaving.

Quote:
And Galactica is to be retired. Seems from the promos for next week that Galactica is going to be used on one last mission... going up against Cavil's forces to get Hera back. Should be damned fun!
Should be fun.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #185
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That slap was so weak, too girly ... and this was from somewhat doing her thing in the toilet with Baltar shaving.

Seemed like it was done for show or half heartedly. Starbuck knew Baltar would spread it around (its Baltar!). I think part of her wanted it out in the open, and the other half didn't.

And a good open faced slap is a great drama .
Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #186
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Awesome time chart on the BSG universe:

http://www.ackthud.net/jont/2009/Misc/bsgtimeline.jpg
Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #187
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Neat to see the old Centurion Raiders at the "colony." Nice touch.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #188
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Awesome time chart on the BSG universe:

http://www.ackthud.net/jont/2009/Misc/bsgtimeline.jpg

That is awesome =)

God I cannot wait for a full blown 4 season +movies DVD pack to come out. I will own this series and spend endless hours rewatching it in marathons for the rest of my days.

Best. SCI. FI. EPIC. EVA!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #189
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Rack 'em up. Seems like everything is set up for an action packed 2 hour finale next week.

Some backstory of pre-fall Caprica and getting every set... getting Galactica cleaned up and then ready to roll.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #190
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I honestly thought that the drunk driver that killed Laura Roslin's dad and sisters was going to be someone we knew.

Ahhhh....looks to be a great finale. I hope they jam everything including the kitchen sink in, but make it not seem like they're jamming everything including the kitchen sink in.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #191
samifan24
Pro Starter

So I watched tonight's episode without having seen any episodes since the 4th episode of this season (I think) and man was I confused. I'll have to get caught up but it was interesting to see that they made Kara a Cylon.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #192
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I liked the flashbacks showing the motivation for some of the folks to join up (though I hope they didn't foreshadow who was going to die next week!)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #193
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
So I watched tonight's episode without having seen any episodes since the 4th episode of this season (I think) and man was I confused. I'll have to get caught up but it was interesting to see that they made Kara a Cylon.

She isn't really.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #194
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
She isn't really.

Wait, what?

Like I said, I'm really confused. The last episodes I watched were the reveal of the final 4 Cylons, then the one where crazy Presidential aide threw Callie out the airlock and lastly the boring one with Baltar and his stupid cult.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, you need to watch all the mid episodes.

She's not the 5th.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #196
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I really thought Gaius was going to volunteer to go.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #197
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

I didn't. He is who we thought he was, a selfish prick.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #198
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

If you saw the preview for next week:

Spoiler
Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #199
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I didn't. He is who we thought he was, a selfish prick.

Considering the conversation he had with Lee and Lee asking him if there was one thing that he had done without being selfish...

To thine own self be true...

And ISiddiqui, I'm not surprised by that either.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #200
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again...

Can't wait for the FINAL EPISODE!

So say we all!