Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #101
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Did I misread something? I thought he was only barred from bringing kids on campus.

Geez, I hope not. Because you know, the idea that a sexual predator is only limited to little boys is not exactly the position I'd want to argue from a risk management perspective. Imagine if the dude kidnapped, raped, and murdered a coed? Maybe he was just into little boys because with him being in football and the foundation he created, they were his easiest access.

Again, you go so far as to know enough that you keep him from bring kids on campus, you should pretty much just keep him away from campus altogether.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #102
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well the anonymous GA is no longer. It's, uh, Mike McQueary. Wow. Just effin wow.

So how come this guy didn't follow up beyond telling JoePa?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #103
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The whole "he's been barred from campus" but now knowing he was conducting camps there up until 2009 is really fucking terrible.

And if true, suggests he used his football/athletic department friendships/contacts to secure that access. Now, who knew what is obviously the question, but man, that looks AWFUL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #104
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Gracious, the CNN article makes it sound like the ban was just on Second Mile kids, and not even all of campus...
Quote:
But instead of reporting the incident to authorities, Curley and Schultz banned Sandusky from having children from Second Mile visit the football building, Kelly said.
I don't know if that's accurate or not, but...wow.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #105
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Did I misread something? I thought he was only barred from bringing kids on campus.

My bad on not typing that fully, it's what I meant. But would running football camps for kids not fall under that?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #106
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So how come this guy didn't follow up beyond telling JoePa?

Good question. But he's also a young 20-something year old kid. And he did have a conversation with the 2 guys who are charged with perjury, so that was his follow-up. I seriously doubt he knew that they changed his statement and/or didn't report it. Maybe he jsut assumed that a single eyewitness and no more wasn't sufficient grounds to bring charges.

And that goes for Paterno, too. But obviously, Paterno seems to be in a much better and more powerful position to (a) know what's going on, beyond this incident, and (b) have the authority and pull to get answers, if he wanted to.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #107
Ben E Lou

I just re-read that section of the Grand Jury report. He was told that he was prohibited "from bringing youth onto the Penn State campus."
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #108
Ben E Lou

Oh, and also the report mentions that even Schultz, who oversaw the University Police, admitted that the "ban" was completely unenforceable. And he didn't actually report it *to* the University Police.

So breaking it down, what it appears happened is that everybody just hoped the kid would never report it and it would therefore never come to light.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #109
Ksyrup

Maybe Sandusky was able to sneak this kid into whatever settlements Michael Jackson was making at the time.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #110
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So breaking it down, what it appears happened is that everybody just hoped the kid would never report it and it would therefore never come to light.

And the sad thing is, that probably "works" a great majority of the time.

But when it backfires, it backfires.....Nice try JoPa, 130 years of coaching or whatever, but now this is your legacy.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #111
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I didn't realize that the dean of students from Ferris Bueller was one of the parties involved.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #112
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I didn't realize that the dean of students from Ferris Bueller was one of the parties involved.

The weird thing being is that the actor who played the dean of students (Princple Rooney) in Ferris Bueller (Jeffrey Jones) is a registered sex offender because he was arrested for inducing a 14-year-old boy to pose for nude photos at his Hollywood Hills home.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #113
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The weird thing being is that the actor who played the dean of students (Princple Rooney) in Ferris Bueller (Jeffrey Jones) is a registered sex offender because he was arrested for inducing a 14-year-old boy to pose for nude photos at his Hollywood Hills home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

You know the story on that guy right?

edit: H_B beat me.

Last edited by Logan : 11-07-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #115
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't know this GA (I don't follow college football) but I take it he's a bigger name now than he was?

I'm sure he and Paterno were told "we'll take care of it," but I once again posit: if you see or hear about my kid being raped, I damn well want you to do more than tell the athletic director about it. That should just be step one. Make an anonymous call if yo'ure too scared to follow through, but you do something.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #116
Ksyrup

McQueary was a PSU QB back in the mid-late 90s. He's now a WR coach and assistant. He's the redheaded guy you see on the sidelines. He's no different than most GAs who rise through the ranks with their alma mater after graduating, but he's definitely more well-known than some anonymous third-string CB who was a GA and now sells used cars.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #117
Ben E Lou

Press conference with the PA Attorney General's Office just ended. Spokesperson (didn't catch her title) directly said that Paterno "did what he was supposed to do." (I believe that was the direct quote.)

However, someone asked if JoePa and McQueary might have increased culpability in this because they would have been present at the 2007 practice where he showed up. She responded that it was something they'd have to look into. The way she answered made it seem like they've very recently been made aware that he showed up at practice with a kid in 2007 (as in that it wasn't a part of the investigation at all.) She definitely left the door open on that question.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #118
miked
College Starter

I think we can all agree that he did what he was supposed to do, but didn't do what he should have done
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #119
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'm less interested in his legal culpability, and more interested in his moral/ethical obligations going forward. Both as a result of this incident, in terms of what he did/didn't do, and in the future, if he was aware Sandusky was on school grounds with kids/camps. Or even, why didn't he push to have him exiled permanently from the campus? Did he convince himself that McQueary was mistaken in what he saw? Was there more smoke to this fire generally from the 80s and on, and JoePa chose to ignore it? Is that why no one pushed this one incident, because they were afraid what more digging would find? Is this tied to his retirement?

There are a ton of questions that will ultimately bear on how we view JoePa, but right now, he's already significantly lowered in my estimation. I'm afraid what could come out would only drag him lower.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #120
JPhillips
General Manager

Francesca was saying that the campus police wrote a thirty page report in 1998. Is that in the grand jury report? If that's true it's impossible to believe that Joe didn't at least know of the report. If he knew in 1998 and then did the bare minimum in 2002 when this would have been at least the second incident Joe knew about, he should be ashamed. How many kids got raped after Joe and a number of Penn St. admin knew and did nothing?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #121
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Francesca was saying that the campus police wrote a thirty page report in 1998. Is that in the grand jury report? If that's true it's impossible to believe that Joe didn't at least know of the report. If he knew in 1998 and then did the bare minimum in 2002 when this would have been at least the second incident Joe knew about, he should be ashamed. How many kids got raped after Joe and a number of Penn St. admin knew and did nothing?
More and more I'm thinking that people in charge at Penn State - probably including Paterno - knew something was up with Sandusky, hence his unusual, early "retirement" in '99.

I'm not going to be surprised if it turns out there was a lot of cover-up going on, which is a shame - while I never had any particular emotional investment in the story of Joe Paterno, it's always disappointing to find out that guys who are held up as positive examples turn out to have fundamental cracks in said facade.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #122
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This is from a PSU forum:

Lance Z confirmed on Houston radio this morning what I had heard a couple of years ago. Kylie Wong was on several years ago talking about a PSU player in the league who told Kylie, Paterno sometimes showers with the team and even lathered up and washed dudes backs. Given Paterno's involvement in the coverup of a pedophile. AND the fact that Paterno's program paid for this creep to go on team trips and bowl games with kids AFTER he had been accused of sexual misconduct with children. Paterno should be the focus of an investigation regarding his involvement.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #123
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm just getting caught up on all this and I'm horrified. Holy crap! Maybe Paterno and McQueeny did what they were supposed to do, legally, but morally they really should have followed it up far more than they actually did. Just wow.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #124
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
This is from a PSU forum:

Lance Z confirmed on Houston radio this morning what I had heard a couple of years ago. Kylie Wong was on several years ago talking about a PSU player in the league who told Kylie, Paterno sometimes showers with the team and even lathered up and washed dudes backs. Given Paterno's involvement in the coverup of a pedophile. AND the fact that Paterno's program paid for this creep to go on team trips and bowl games with kids AFTER he had been accused of sexual misconduct with children. Paterno should be the focus of an investigation regarding his involvement.

And that poster should be investigated for his lack of knowledge of run-ons and sentence fragments.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #125
Ksyrup

But seriously, this is one of those situations that could spiral out of control. Imagine what Joe Poznanski is thinking right now - he's been living in PA for research to write a book about JoePa. Imagine what comes out, or what he might dig up. Would make the Walter Payton book look like a press release by comparison.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #126
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I just think its funny that so many PSU fans are the ones letting the rumors fly out of control. I guess it's normal for fans to report what they hear to try and be an "insider" but it's just making the story that much worse.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #127
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I just think its funny that so many PSU fans are the ones letting the rumors fly out of control. I guess it's normal for fans to report what they hear to try and be an "insider" but it's just making the story that much worse.

If only Mizzou B-ball fan was PSU F-ball fan!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #128
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But seriously, this is one of those situations that could spiral out of control. Imagine what Joe Poznanski is thinking right now - he's been living in PA for research to write a book about JoePa. Imagine what comes out, or what he might dig up. Would make the Walter Payton book look like a press release by comparison.
Yeah, the chances that this story gets uglier as time goes on seems quite high.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #130
Silver Owl
High School JV

My question is why the GA didn't at the very least confront Sandusky when he saw the incident happening.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #131
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #133
molson
General Manager

One thing I've read that a lot of the other stories seem to be omitting is that Sandusky WAS investigated by police in 1998 but the prosecutor decided not to file charges. I don't know how much that played into his resignation, or the decision by people apparently not to come forward when future incidents were learned about, but it just goes to show that "going to the police" doesn't necessary solve anything either (not that it shouldn't be done). That prosecutor that declined charges, by the way, disappeared 6 years ago was recently declared legally dead.

Also, I came across a USA today blurb from around 2000 that reported that Sandusky was "the leading candidate" for the Virginia head coaching job that Al Groh got. They probably did their research and may have known some stuff too....Sandusky doesn't appear to have been a serious candidate for any job after that.

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #134
Suicane75
Coordinator

Paterno may not be legally culpable at this point but I can't help but think so much less of him right now than I ever thought I could. It makes me sick.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #135
General Mike
Pro Starter

Mike Francesa « CBS New York

Listen to the Kim Jones interview. Good insight.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #136
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
...That prosecutor that declined charges, by the way, disappeared 6 years ago was recently declared legally dead.

The plot thickens.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #137
General Mike
Pro Starter

The more I hear, the more disgusted I get with everyone involved.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #138
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

This is depressing and disgusting.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #139
TroyF
Coordinator

Just horrible.

As others have said, the more I see, the more disgusted I get. Just sad.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #140
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
My question is why the GA didn't at the very least confront Sandusky when he saw the incident happening.

I have wondered this as well, can only surmise that he panicked or just couldn't believe what he was seeing.....Hard to imagine walking in on that on not stopping it though.

I hate these stories as a coach. Parents trust us with their kids and when we don't uphold that trust to the highest level we fail. When something like this happens it goes far, far beyond that. I am beyond appalled with the entire situation and that doesn't even include what I feel about that sonofabitch Sandusky.

That interview with Kim Jones makes me just want to cry.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #141
tarcone
Coordinator

I am shattered that a man would do this to anyone, let alone young boys. Paterno reported it and wrote it off? Seriously? The GA wasnt specific? What did he say? "Hey, I just saw something weird. Sandusky was with a little boy in the shower with no one around. But thats all I can say." And Paterno thinks "Well I reported it, nothing else I can do. But I will let him come to closed practices with boys and let him use the PSU facilities for overnight football camps."
This is just one of the worst things I have ever heard. Shame on Jerry Sandusky. Shame on Mike McQueary. And shame on Joe Paterno.
They are all evil.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #142
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Not really anything new, but the questions they bring up are ones that I don't think anybody expects a good answer from.

I went and looked up on Rivals for PSU's next class and they are actually 2nd in the Big Ten. Granted they are only 19th in the nation. This is something that's going to hurt recruiting a ton. Odd to see only three Big Ten teams in the top 25 and two of them are PSU and OSU.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #143
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

This is something that's going to hurt recruiting a ton.

Those showers have to be tainted forever. Yeesh....maybe at least do a full remodel there.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #144
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Those showers have to be tainted forever. Yeesh....maybe at least do a full remodel there.

Just don't ask Iowa to do the remodeling.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #145
Ksyrup

Yeah, it's like putting a house on the market where there's been a mass murder or something.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #146
hoopsguy
General Manager

I thought of this SVU episode back when this story broke:
Watch Law & Order: SVU - Season 13 Episode 2: Personal Fouls

Normally the "Law and Order" shows copycat the news - like the "Bartman" episode, to pick one - but they appear to have been in front of the news this time around.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #147
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Joe Paterno, Penn State didn't do what was right in Sandusky case - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Quote:
Paterno has done far more good than harm in his career. But if you have been paying attention, you know that he has a bad habit of minimizing serious allegations.

When Penn State receiver Tony Johnson was arrested for driving under the influence a few years ago, Paterno said he would discipline him "just because I have to send a message to the squad that it is inappropriate to be out in the middle of the week having a couple of drinks."

Police said Johnson had a blood-alcohol level of .136, well above the legal limit.

Before a bowl game against Penn State in 2006, Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson was accused of sexual assault. Remember: This was not Paterno's player. He didn't have to say anything.

But he said this: "There are so many people gravitating to these kids. Maybe he didn't know what he was getting into, Nicholson. Somebody will knock on the door. A cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?

"Thank God, they don't knock on my door. I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms.

"But that's too bad. You hate to see that, you really do. You'd like to see a kid end up his career. And he's a heck of a football player, he really is. It's just too bad. That's all I can say. It's just too bad."

Last edited by Matthean : 11-07-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #148
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have to believe there are details that we just don't know about.

If I am JoePa and I hear about this, I am going to Sandusky and asking him WTF? I haven't heard about him doing anything like that.

I also agree with the question why didn't the GA do something about it when he saw it?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #149
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If I am JoePa and I hear about this, I am going to Sandusky and asking him WTF? I haven't heard about him doing anything like that.
In a normal situation, sure. But I'm just not convinced that that's how it works in a major college football program when something like this happens. As I said earlier, I tend to think this sort of head-in-the-sand and cover-up behavior could happen (and probably has) at the majority of the big-time college football programs in the country. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out that he never said a word about it to Sandusky. I'd also be unsurprised if he went to Sandusky and Sanduksy said "No way, Joe. I would never do something like that!" And then Paterno used a categorical denial to convince himself that he didn't need to do anything further.

Any number of scenarios could be true here, but the primary agenda was to protect themselves and the Penn State image. I probably sounded a little harsh and/or cynical when I said that yesterday, but the interview linked above is saying pretty much exactly the same thing.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #150
timmynausea
College Starter

According to Paterno's son, Joe never discussed it with Sandusky:

Quote:
Paterno’s son Scott said in an interview Sunday that Paterno never spoke to Sandusky about the allegation, and that he never seriously pursued the question of whether any action had been taken by the university or any other authorities against Sandusky.

“From my imperfect recollection, once he referred it off, I do not believe he had a second conversation about it,” Scott Paterno said of his father and how he handled any follow-up on the allegation. He added: “The appropriate people were contacted by Joe. That was the chain of command. It was a retired employee and it falls under the university’s auspices, not the football auspices.”

In Penn State’s Sex Abuse Case, a Focus on How Paterno Reacted - NYTimes.com

Last edited by timmynausea : 11-08-2011 at 08:21 AM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote