Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #451
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Or that the Cavs have been boasting about how good the deal was for them because Kyrie isn't really that good.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #452
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Has this all been much ado about nothing?

Kyrie Irving Trade: Boston Celtics still have received no alternative request from Cavaliers (report) | masslive.com

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #453
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It's not completely ado about nothing because the Cavs would've finalized the trade by now. Idk how much I trust a Boston Herald reporter who says his sources are on the Cavs side, but the report that Cleveland found nothing different in the physical than Boston had already sent over in medical reports is making them look pretty bad right now. But I suppose if you deal with Dan Gilbert you have to expect him to pull some petty or shady stuff at some point.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #454
Groundhog
Coordinator

Still not sure Cleveland looks as bad as the team that traded (or tried to) the dude who played the day after his sister died.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #455
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Still not sure Cleveland looks as bad as the team that traded (or tried to) the dude who played the day after his sister died.

Is this really something that many people think? That Boston looks bad because of this particular circumstance? Maybe I'm insensitive, but that changes my opinion of the Celtics exactly zero percent.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #456
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I said it before, this is Belichickian in that someone who went above and beyond the call of duty gets jettisoned the second that Value < Skill.

It works for the Patriots, and I hope for the Celtics, but I especially hope it works out for Thomas.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #457
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Is this really something that many people think? That Boston looks bad because of this particular circumstance? Maybe I'm insensitive, but that changes my opinion of the Celtics exactly zero percent.

It's been a big thing on my social media, which is pretty heavily leaning towards basketball players/fans. Lots of talk about loyalty.

I'm in the same boat as you personally, but it's definitely a thing.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #458
molson
General Manager

Would it have been disloyal for IT to leave as a free agent next season?

Isn't this a business? Or is a thing now that a team shouldn't trade a player unless they consent?

It's been a while since I've heard someone older than 12 criticize either a player or pro team for making a decision to further the goals of that player or team.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #459
Groundhog
Coordinator

This is from other current and former players, and is more based around the player/team loyalty thing. I think especially post-KD leaving OKC. Then there was the IT jersey burning thing as well.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #460
molson
General Manager

The IT jersey burning thing seemed to be fans protesting the trade.

But regardless, it was drunk goobers on youtube. I could burn any jersey, make a video, and get a reddit thread going about horrible that fanbase is.

The players are human, so I can't judge their emotions. But from a fan perspective, I think it's weird to take a loyalty-side with respect any major pro team player transaction. Everybody's just trying to keep their job or get paid.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:41 AM   #461
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
This is from other current and former players, and is more based around the player/team loyalty thing. I think especially post-KD leaving OKC. Then there was the IT jersey burning thing as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The IT jersey burning thing seemed to be fans protesting the trade.
One tweeter with like 14 followers who might not even be a Celtics fan burns a K-Mart jersey & it's a thing? IT was loved by the fanbase & his teammates & it's annoying people want to imply otherwise based off a tweet from a nobody or a known liar like Chris Broussard throwing shade from his "multiple" nonexistent sources.

Why would KD choosing to leave his team for a better situation make players mad at a GM for moving on from a player for a better situation?
Quote:
Seriously?
I love IT as a player & he seems like a good person too, but if we were offered LeBron, KD, or Steph Curry for IT you'd turn it down because he did his job after a personal tragedy?

If so, you're asking people in the wrong part of the country given the Patriots sociopathy & the Celtics being in a great spot because they traded Paul Pierce & KG before the whole league knew they were too old.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #462
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Why would KD choosing to leave his team for a better situation make players mad at a GM for moving on from a player for a better situation? Seriously?
I love IT as a player & he seems like a good person too, but if we were offered LeBron, KD, or Steph Curry for IT you'd turn it down because he did his job after a personal tragedy?

If so, you're asking people in the wrong part of the country given the Patriots sociopathy & the Celtics being in a great spot because they traded Paul Pierce & KG before the whole league knew they were too old.

Not arguing the logic behind it, just stating what I've seen from current/former players on IG/twitter.

Moot point anyway - Celts send a 2nd rounder, and the trade is finalized.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #463
bhlloy
Coordinator

So you've essentially dragged the health of the centerpiece of the deal and the guy who is going to have to have a great season for you to compete this year and can walk for nothing after the season through the mud for the 58th overall pick in 2020? Real smart.

Gilbert really is an awful owner who should be thanking the lord every morning that LeBron was born where he was and wanted to win a championship for his hometown team.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #464
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, the centrepiece of the deal was a 60th pick, soooo...

I think the trade sets the Cavs up nicely for another Warriors-Cavs finals series (if we beat Boston, which is no given with or without the trade), and also opens the door for a rebuild if LeBron jumps ship next season.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 AM   #465
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So you've essentially dragged the health of the centerpiece of the deal and the guy who is going to have to have a great season for you to compete this year and can walk for nothing after the season through the mud for the 58th overall pick in 2020? Real smart.

Gilbert really is an awful owner who should be thanking the lord every morning that LeBron was born where he was and wanted to win a championship for his hometown team.

At this point, I'm not sure I wouldn't take Sterling over Gilbert.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #466
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Hey, now. Gilbert has come up with a great model that other teams would be wise to copy: Have a generationally great player born in your market and keep winning the lottery.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #467
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Hey, now. Gilbert has come up with a great model that other teams would be wise to copy: Have a generationally great player born in your market and keep winning the lottery.

Trust the process.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #468
miami_fan
Coordinator

The NBA has hit the Lakers for 500K for tampering.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Here, now give me your wrist.
{tap}

Now don't do that again.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #470
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I'm assuming they're also prohibited from eventually signing said player they tampered with.

Right?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #471
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm assuming they're also prohibited from eventually signing said player they tampered with.

Right?

That should be the punishment, but I imagine that the Player's Union would object, arguing that George should not have his employment options limited by the malfeasance of a team.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #472
Atocep
Coordinator

So the Lakers were warned for tampering with George, they tamper again after the warning, and they punishment is less than a slap on the wrist.

It's good to see the NBA trying to put to rest the notion that certain teams get preferential treatment from the league.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #473
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That should be the punishment, but I imagine that the Player's Union would object, arguing that George should not have his employment options limited by the malfeasance of a team.

And if that was the case, George should take up a suit against the Lakers and his own agent.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #474
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Houston Rockets sold to the guy from CNBC's the Billion Dollar Buyer for 2.2bn
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #475
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Lakers-

Seems like any punishment would begin at the minimum of 1 home gate and 1/82 of their TV revenue.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #476
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I took some time to think it through, but I'm still in the same place I was the day the Irving to Celtics trade happened. Boston got noticeably worse. Irving's offense is great, and Hayward is a really good two way player, but they gutted that team's defensive talent and didn't replace it at all. Tatum has to come through for them to finish higher than 3rd in the East.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #477
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Re: The Lakers-

Seems like any punishment would begin at the minimum of 1 home gate and 1/82 of their TV revenue.

Ok quick maths shows this amount to be about 3.7m. So if the Lakers got fined 4million for tampering it would be a ton more reasonable, no?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #478
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok quick maths shows this amount to be about 3.7m. So if the Lakers got fined 4million for tampering it would be a ton more reasonable, no?

Problem is that the league sets the fine amount. And the league is the other owners. And, as much as they don't want the Lakers tampering, they certainly don't want a world where the expectation is that the NBA could take millions of dollars from them.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #479
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I took some time to think it through, but I'm still in the same place I was the day the Irving to Celtics trade happened. Boston got noticeably worse. Irving's offense is great, and Hayward is a really good two way player, but they gutted that team's defensive talent and didn't replace it at all. Tatum has to come through for them to finish higher than 3rd in the East.

I think they are better overall talent-wise, but might end up with the same amount of wins, give or take a few. Hayward figures to slot right in with his skill set, and Tatum should be solid if he can (happily) accept a lesser role on a good team, especially compared to some of the other lottery picks.

It will be interesting watching Kyrie in the Boston offense though after the 'you go, I go' style of play in Cleveland... Seen lots of "IT was a scorer too!" comments online, which is true, but he also played within the offense and worked a lot off the ball, which Kyrie might be great at too, but it wasn't exactly something we saw from him in Cleveland.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #480
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kyrie's going to lead the league in scoring if he doesn't stub a toe and miss 8-10 weeks
Old 09-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #481
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Kyrie's going to lead the league in scoring if he doesn't stub a toe and miss 8-10 weeks

He is capable of it, but I don't see it happening in Boston. Too much talent around him, and he's still good for a handful of games a year where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #482
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'm not sure what "statement" they're making, but the new alternate for each team has been released. Golden State and Utah win this by a landslide. Philly and Portland are pretty nice as well. Sacramento's look nice with their matching alternate court.

NBA Teams Showcase Alternate 'Statement' Jerseys for the 2017-18 Season | Bleacher Report
Old 09-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thought a lot of those were sharp. The NBA does a great job encouraging alternate uniform design. I'm not sure how many of those jerseys actually sell a ton but the NFL should do more of this type of thing
Old 09-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #484
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The GE logo is brutal on the Celtics alternate. Should make it a black background so it blends in, because right now it looks like one of the soccer referee patches I use to wear.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #485
Atocep
Coordinator

McDermott, Kanter, and a draft pick was not the package I imagined the Knicks getting for Carmelo when it seemed they were having trouble agreeing to a trade.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #486
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

What were the Thunder thinking?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #487
Calis
College Starter

As a Thunder fan I don’t know what to think of this.

The pick is no biggie, and McDermott wasn’t going to see much time.

I like Kanter though. Sure he has major flaws in his game, but he seemed to legitimately love it there and seemed to be working his ass off. Does seem like Knicks got a main piece in this in an area they’ve already got some depth at.

I really haven’t seen the Knicks enough lately to judge current Melo but he seems like an odd fit for the Thunder team.

I’m guessing it’s all centered around trying to make Russ and PG consider sticking around.

The initial reactions I’m seeing are Knicks got a nice haul, but I’m not seeing it. I think it isn’t a great trade for either side.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I think it isn’t a great trade for either side.

This.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #489
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
. I think it isn’t a great trade for either side.

I think this is a far better deal for the Thunder. Melo as a 3rd option is a much better fit than Melo as a focal point. Kanter's contract is awful considering his a terrible fit in the current NBA. There simply isn't a place in the NBA for a 6'11" PF/C that doesn't defend, doesn't protect the rim, and has no outside shot.

A Westbrook, Roberson, George, Melo, Adams starting 5 is really interesting. OKC isn't as good as Golden State or Houston, but they've probably moved into that tier right below them with San Antonio.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #490
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think this is a far better deal for the Thunder. Melo as a 3rd option is a much better fit than Melo as a focal point. Kanter's contract is awful considering his a terrible fit in the current NBA. There simply isn't a place in the NBA for a 6'11" PF/C that doesn't defend, doesn't protect the rim, and has no outside shot.

A Westbrook, Roberson, George, Melo, Adams starting 5 is really interesting. OKC isn't as good as Golden State or Houston, but they've probably moved into that tier right below them with San Antonio.

I wouldn't trade Kanter straight up for Melo at this point in their careers.

Kanter is excellent off the bench as a post scorer for 20 minutes a night. His two seasons in that role have produced 24 and 23.7 PER and win shares of 8.1 and 5.8.

Melo's last two years 20.3 and 17.9 PER with 6.4 and 4.7 win shares.

Neither is a great player, but I'll take 25 and plays his ass off over 33 and rapidly declining.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #491
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

+1

Kanter's unplayable vs the good Western playoff teams, and with PG13/Melo you don't need him as an offensive focal point when Westbrook rests for 5 minutes a game. Melo's gotten so much mockery for being unable to carry a terribly run franchise it's like people have forgotten just how good he can be when surrounded by good players (see: Olympic Melo).
Old 09-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #492
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Kanter straight up for Melo at this point in their careers.

Kanter is excellent off the bench as a post scorer for 20 minutes a night. His two seasons in that role have produced 24 and 23.7 PER and win shares of 8.1 and 5.8.

Melo's last two years 20.3 and 17.9 PER with 6.4 and 4.7 win shares.

Neither is a great player, but I'll take 25 and plays his ass off over 33 and rapidly declining.

Kanter averaged 9 minutes per game in the playoffs last year because he's unplayable against top western conference teams.

Right now Kanter is the player a developed Jahil Okafor is likely to become without all the Duke hype and hatred for "The Process". He ranked 63rd out 66 centers in DRPM and 42nd overall. The guy can score, but he doesn't do anything to actually help a team win basketball games.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #493
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Kanter averaged 9 minutes per game in the playoffs last year because he's unplayable against top western conference teams.

Right now Kanter is the player a developed Jahil Okafor is likely to become without all the Duke hype and hatred for "The Process". He ranked 63rd out 66 centers in DRPM and 42nd overall. The guy can score, but he doesn't do anything to actually help a team win basketball games.

Same can be said for Melo. I'll take Kanter over Melo at this point in their careers. Melo isn't going to help the Thunder this year at all.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #494
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Same can be said for Melo. I'll take Kanter over Melo at this point in their careers. Melo isn't going to help the Thunder this year at all.
Idk if Billy Donovan is the right coach to help these players mesh, but Melo could be a very good smallball 4 with talent around him, just like he has been for Team USA. Enes Kanter is guaranteed not to be playable vs the top Western conference teams. I know who I'd take.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #495
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sam Presti went to Hogwarts. Amazing what he's managed to do with that team this off-season. Also, ownership knows they're fucked if they can't keep a star there because free agents aren't flocking to OKC no matter what.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #496
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Totally burned the roof of my mouth with this take.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #497
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Totally burned the roof of my mouth with this take.

It's not 2013 anymore. Melo playing the 4 is going to be worse than Melo playing the 3 on defense and he was terrible at that. His offensive output isn't going to be what it was in NY with Russ controlling the ball on every possession. Melo doesn't make OKC better.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #498
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not 2013 anymore. Melo playing the 4 is going to be worse than Melo playing the 3 on defense and he was terrible at that. His offensive output isn't going to be what it was in NY with Russ controlling the ball on every possession. Melo doesn't make OKC better.

Carmelo Anthony Team USA Offensive Highlights (2016) - YouTube
Old 09-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #499
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Is OKC playing a bunch of teams that mostly only have 1-2 guys good enough to make the OKC roster? Are they doing it under Olympic rules? Do they have the 12 of the top 30 active players on their roster?

Unless those are all yes, then what was done in a 2 week tournament with different rules and much more unbalanced rosters is irrelevant.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #500
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:
Is OKC playing a bunch of teams that mostly only have 1-2 guys good enough to make the OKC roster? Are they doing it under Olympic rules? Do they have the 12 of the top 30 active players on their roster?

Unless those are all yes, then what was done in a 2 week tournament with different rules and much more unbalanced rosters is irrelevant.
He was playing at a high level in 2016 (and his career stats show very little decline, not the rapid one you've claimed), he looks better defensively as a 2nd/3rd wing defender who can help out more with rebounding & weakside rim protection than one forced to play 1v1 on the perimeter, and he's repeatedly shown the ability & willingness to adapt his incredibly versatile offensive game to having the ball in his hands less & punish the mismatches that come when opponents are more concerned with superior teammates. But sure, it's completely irrelevant and the guy getting paid $18 million a year to play 8 mpg in the playoffs is better