Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #1001
PilotMan
Head Coach

Silva v. Machida v. GSP in a triple threat match. Oooo yeah.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #1002
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The biggest travesty is we will never see Silva/Machida. That would determine P4P Best in the World.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #1003
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, what the fuck was Forrest doing at the end? How do you just run out of the cage like that? That was a huge bitch move, though if I saw my career go down with one shot I might do that too. Although if he doesn't run out he probably has a shot for redemption. Not now though.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #1004
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Also, what the fuck was Forrest doing at the end? How do you just run out of the cage like that? That was a huge bitch move, though if I saw my career go down with one shot I might do that too. Although if he doesn't run out he probably has a shot for redemption. Not now though.

I like Forrest, but that really has to stand as one of the most all-around embarrassing performances I've ever seen. I've never seen a dude leave the cage that fast, and as you say, I immediately asked myself "did I just see that dudes career vanish in three minutes?".

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-08-2009 at 11:09 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #1005
Calis
College Starter

Not the first to run out of the cage. Sherk did it after his last fight and nothing came of it. He got suspended for less time than he would have set out anyway. Hell he kept running all the way out of the arena and ran a couple miles in downtown Vegas without shoes.

Don't see it as a bitch move, he is an incredibly emotional guy who just annihilated and suffered one of the most embarassing knockouts I've seen.
These guys aren't thinking after something like that.

Doesn't hurt his career much though imo. He lost to arguably the best fighter in the world. If he bounces back next fight he is in the mix again.

That was ugly though.

I'm expecting the main event to be pretty ugly also.

Last edited by Calis : 08-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #1006
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

LOL

Someone "spoiled" the fight for me on Facebook. I say "spoiled" because they said Silva went down instead of Griffin. Too bad I came here afterwards as it would've been quite the shock when the exact opposite happened.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #1007
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #1008
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dana says Penn vs Diego next. Diego is gonna win, dude is too quick.

Also Silva vs Hendo next, obv.

And Silva again says he will under no circumstances fight Machida.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #1009
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wow.

Dana just said in the Presser that UFC is looking at running Fenway Park.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #1010
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Clinical. Silva looks like he's fighting a drunk at a bar, the way he casually dodges those punches. I couldn't tell at the time, and that gif still makes me wonder: was Forrest waving "don't stop the fight" or "no more, I give up" as he hit the canvas? Giving up on the ground before even taking a punch seems very UN-Forrest Griffin (when I hear his name I immediately think of that whack-ass arm he was carrying around in TUF1, and then I think of that awesome, gutsy finale, followed by several gutsy fights and a belt), but the way he scurried out of there certainly doesn't help his case. Having only seen 4 minutes of him whiffing around, I can't judge too much, but he certainly seemed 'off' in his short appearance inside and outside of the ring.

Did he change up his training/strategy drastically for this fight (he sure looked more tentative, but was that intended?), and could that have taken him so far out of his comfort zone, or was he just plainly so physically and mentally battered, just half-way through the first round, that he was waving "no mas" as he fell to the floor from a jab, and then zipped out of the ring in a cloud of smoke?

In hindsight, the whole thing played out like Forrest came in there with zero confidence in himself, before the fight had even begun. From his tentative attack, to the half-hearted head kicks, reeling backwards (or hitting the deck) from all contact, getting taunted by Silva as he pawed away ineffectively at empty space, until he finally hit the ground waving, and ran out of the cage before anybody had the chance to ask him what had happened. I hope he's able to recover quickly, because although I think his career could easily rebound from a loss to such a high quality opponent, I'd imagine the task of recovering mentally and emotionally from a schoolyard whooping like that is probably a bigger hurdle than recovering in the rankings.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #1011
Voo
Mascot

Run Forest, Run!
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #1012
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Clinical. Silva looks like he's fighting a drunk at a bar, the way he casually dodges those punches. I couldn't tell at the time, and that gif still makes me wonder: was Forrest waving "don't stop the fight" or "no more, I give up" as he hit the canvas? Giving up on the ground before even taking a punch seems very UN-Forrest Griffin (when I hear his name I immediately think of that whack-ass arm he was carrying around in TUF1, and then I think of that awesome, gutsy finale, followed by several gutsy fights and a belt), but the way he scurried out of there certainly doesn't help his case. Having only seen 4 minutes of him whiffing around, I can't judge too much, but he certainly seemed 'off' in his short appearance inside and outside of the ring.

He was senseless. He was half out of it before that final punch which is why it looked like such an odd knockout. Forrest has never been known for a strong chin, and he'd been knocked around a couple times before that. I'm sure he had no control over what he was doing on the ground there with that waving. I think that was out of it Forrest trying to defend himself with a halfhearted move of the hand.

He did look terrible. I never expected him to win, and knew he'd get caught at some point but that was pretty painful. Maybe he had just planned to feel him out the entire first round, but yeah he was throwing kicks and jabs with nothing at all to them, they were just probing.

I can't blame the guy for running out like that after. He was obviously extremely embarassed with his performance, and pissed at himself. We've seen him break down and start bawling in there, so I'm not at all surprised.

That's what happens when you don't flop around and try to avoid Silva.

Penn should have no problem with Diego. Diego isn't stronger than him in any area. The only thing that loses him that fight is a lack of motivation. It's also the only fight they have for him at LW right now so it makes sense.

I still think Henderson has the best shot of any Middleweight out there of beating Silva if he plays to his strengths. He had a solid first round against him before getting caught. I definitely wouldn't favor Hendo, but I still like it more than any other matchup in the division. Maia would obviously be dangerous on the ground, but I don't like his chances to get it there.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #1013
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I can't blame the guy for running out like that after. He was obviously extremely embarassed with his performance, and pissed at himself. We've seen him break down and start bawling in there, so I'm not at all surprised.

Yeah, to be clear, I don't particularly blame him either, or hold it against him, it just added to my wondering if he may have been somehow beaten/ill-prepeard mentally, before it even started. I've got an overactive imagination, but considering how the fight played out, I can almost picture Griffin in my head, poring over Silva fights with his coaches, studying his style and strengths, and perhaps over-adjusting his own strategy, to the point that he came out tentative and almost scared to throw or fight in his style, which is something I'm not accustomed to seeing from Forrest...but it's apparently what happens when you fight Anderson Silva, despite my (and everybody else's) wishes for a better match-up.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #1014
Calis
College Starter

Been hearing that the first knockdown Silva had on Forrest dislocated his jaw and caused him to lose hearing in one ear as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #1015
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anyone else amazed Silva/Forrest was FOTN? I thought the Grove fight should've won that.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #1016
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gotta' love MMA forums.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #1017
Calis
College Starter

Not sure I'm surprised. If one fight sticks out from last night that's the one so in that respect it makes sense.

The fact that Forrest gets a bonus for that is pretty mind blowing though.

Wasn't a great night of fights.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #1018
Flasch186
Coordinator

I actually caught some people in the crowd at my house sleeping during the fights.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #1019
Calis
College Starter

Sounds like Silva wants to move to 205 permanently, and put the Middleweight title up for grabs. Obviously won't be going for the title until it is out of Machida's hands.

Silva seeks new horizons - UFC - Yahoo! Sports

Not sure I like this. could lead to some really messed up situations with regards to contenders.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #1020
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Bowles knocks out Torres in the 1st round.
And after Torres had him on the ropes...what a round.

I have really began liking these bantam weights on WEC, maybe even more than the UFC guys...its certainly a better value.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #1021
Flasch186
Coordinator

WEC was so much better than UFC last night that if you count the two together you begin to feel like you got your money's worth from last night's debacle.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #1022
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reports surfaced on Sunday that Griffin had suffered a jaw injury and that was the reason for his hasty exit, but MMAWeekly.com was able to confirm with representatives from Zinkin Entertainment, Griffin's management group, that he is physically fine following the Saturday night fight.

Griffin suffered no broken jaw and he is physically okay, said the Zinkin representative, but emotionally he is definitely not dealing well with the loss.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #1023
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

BJ is just purely dominant in the lightweight category, He was never in danger in a fight many were rooting against him and thought he could possibly lose. Did Kenny Florian present any kind of trouble for him at all during the 4 rounds? not that I saw. I love hearing the comments about BJ's lightweight fights that this next guy is gonna beat him because BJ is a scrub. Now its Diego is too quick for him. ( not specific people here, I've already heard this at 3 different MMA sites as well) BJ will always have doubters, and thats probably why he only has 1 loss ever in his natural weight class.

Edit: he really does need to stop trying to move up though. At least for a long while.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 08-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #1024
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anderson moving to 205 is a nightmare for UFC. He and Machida are going to clean out 205 out of top contenders, then never fight for the title. The only way this makes any sense is if Machida beats Shogun, and the winner of the Rampage/Rashad fight, and potentially Randy, who said he'd fight him, then he decides to move up to Heavyweight and Silva and take the title.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #1025
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Why won't Machida and Silva fight? Are they from the same camp or something?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #1026
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
Why won't Machida and Silva fight? Are they from the same camp or something?

Yeah, and they're best friends. Machida I do not believe has ever said he won't fight Anderson but Anderson says he won't fight Machida ever. He has even said Machida would beat him. I can't say that for certain but I do know that fight would go a long ways in determining the P4P best in the world.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #1027
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
BJ is just purely dominant in the lightweight category, He was never in danger in a fight many were rooting against him and thought he could possibly lose.
Everything I saw pre-fight saying Florian had a chance was basing that on the possibility of BJ Penn not taking him seriously and slacking off in training.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #1028
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
BJ is just purely dominant in the lightweight category, He was never in danger in a fight many were rooting against him and thought he could possibly lose. Did Kenny Florian present any kind of trouble for him at all during the 4 rounds? not that I saw. I love hearing the comments about BJ's lightweight fights that this next guy is gonna beat him because BJ is a scrub. Now its Diego is too quick for him. ( not specific people here, I've already heard this at 3 different MMA sites as well) BJ will always have doubters, and thats probably why he only has 1 loss ever in his natural weight class.

Edit: he really does need to stop trying to move up though. At least for a long while.

Diego is definitely not too quick for him. Diego doesn't match up well with Penn at all. If he tries to standup he will get beaten badly, and really he's not much of a wrestler. He's persistent and that works, but he's not going to take Penn down any better than Florian did. What he's strong at Penn is exponentially better at. He has great scrambling though and that could make it interesting, but Florian is no slouch on the ground and he lasted what, less than 2 minutes on the ground with Penn? I just don't see Diego getting the fight there, and if it goes there he'll be on the bottom and in a lot of trouble.

Right now lightweight has some awesome potential matchups, but their not title fights.

Obviously I still want to see Penn/Diego, but I'm more interested to see Diego/Edgar maybe, or Diego/Maynard.

Penn loses when he gets bored or stops trying, and the thing that makes it interesting is that could happen at anytime.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #1029
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Penn loses when he gets bored or stops trying, and the thing that makes it interesting is that could happen at anytime.

You nailed it right there. For some reason, I'm not sure why but I think BJ finally hit his head and did some real conditioning training. I think hes also starting to care more, but we'll see cause he always could flop again.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #1030
TLK
Pro Starter

Gina Made Weight... Gina Made Weight!
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #1031
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

WOOOOOT!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #1032
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Gina Made Weight... Gina Made Weight!

Well a part of me was still hoping that she'd have to get naked to do it again.

Like Steam?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #1033
TLK
Pro Starter

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #1034
Flasch186
Coordinator

yes.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #1035
PilotMan
Head Coach

I didn't see it, but damn that was fast.

Like Steam?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #1036
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wow - Babalu got SMOKED!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #1037
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, that went as I expected. Not as I had hoped though.

Like Steam?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #1038
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL @ Fedor getting his own "Coming Soon" ad on Showtime. Awesome!! (yes i'm watching it dvr'd so i'm a bit behind)
Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #1039
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

gah - Cyborg is just too much...too powerful
Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #1040
Calis
College Starter

Not surprising. Cyborg is in a completely different league from Gina.

I am surprised by how quick Mousasi finished Babalu. I wish we could see him in the UFC soon, but being from the camp he is I doubt it.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #1041
PilotMan
Head Coach

[quote=Calis;2096376Cyborg is in a completely different league from Gina.

[/quote]

Truth spoken here.

Like Steam?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #1042
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Matt Lindland identified himself to MMAWeekly Radio as Strikeforce's latest acquisition.
• Showtime VP of sports programming Ken Hershman told Yahoo! that the promotion is eyeing an Oct. 10 debut for Emelianenko.
• Middleweight champion Cung Le has made press rounds saying he's looking at a late-fall or winter 2010 return.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #1043
dervack
College Prospect

Last night it was said that November is the likely date for Fedor. Fight against Brett Rogers or Werdum are the most likely opponents. Of course, with Lindland signing, maybe Lindland is angling for a rematch.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #1044
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Rampage is going to play Mr. T.

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson to be next Mr. T in A-Team remake - SI.com - Mixed Martial Arts

Quote:
According to UK newspaper The Sun, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is set to play the role of B.A. Baracus, made famous by Laurence "Mr. T." Tureaud, in the upcoming remake of The A-Team.

Rampage, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has already appeared in several smaller roles, but is expected to hit it big with his modern-day Baracus character.

Liam Nelson and Bradley Cooper have been confirmed as fellow actors on the series. Nelson is set to plpay Hannibal, while Cooper, of the series Nip/Tuck and blockbuster film The Hangover, will place Face.

Rampage beat out rappers 50 Cent and The Game after multiple weeks of auditions.

The A-Team is due out next year.

Read more: Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson to be next Mr. T in A-Team remake - SI.com - Mixed Martial Arts
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #1045
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I would have figured Kimbo or maybe even Bob Sapp, but far better Rampage than some half-assed rappers.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #1046
saldana
Pro Starter

i wonder if they mean liam neeson, or if there is actually a guy named liam nelson.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #1047
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just ordered 102...can't wait to watch it.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #1048
NewIdentity
High School JV

Anyone know the tale of the tape on the Couture fight? Sorry, I don't follow MMA that closely, so I do not know if they even do this.

But, I do kind of follow Randy Couture a little because of his age and how well he keeps himself in shape, and was very dissapointed in the ESPN highlights of his body; gone were the bulging shoulders and six pack abs I remember. His body seemed to be about 10 years older than when I saw him last
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 08-30-2009 at 05:07 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #1049
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I know I saw the weigh ins and he weighed in at 220. not sure what happened as I haven't watched yet, will watch tomorrow tho.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #1050
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Anyone know the tale of the tape on the Couture fight? Sorry, I don't follow MMA that closely, so I do not know if they even do this.

But, I do kind of follow Randy Couture a little because of his age and how well he keeps himself in shape, and was very dissapointed in the ESPN highlights of his body; gone were the bulging shoulders and six pack abs I remember. His body seemed to be about 10 years older than when I saw him last

He was a few inches shorter than Minatauro and if I remember correctly he gave up 2 inches in the reach category.

I was completely impressed by him in the fight.