Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #2501
azjoe_02
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Best thing about that is that Guida/Henderson might get on the air. maybe.

I sure hope so. It was a great fight.
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #2502
PilotMan
Head Coach

No way this was going more than 1. Still shocked. I got hit to the ear really hard once. All I could do was sit down, standing wasn't an option. Of course, I got my revenge later.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #2503
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I like Brock but Reem, please fucking win so we can see you vs JDS.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #2504
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Best thing about that is that Guida/Henderson might get on the air. maybe.

Don't they just have an hour? Not enough time for that to make it. If they started this fight earlier it could have.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #2505
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just had my first UFC watching experience. I gotta say, if they are trying to pull in new fans with tonights fight being on FOX they failed miserably. 40 minutes of pre fight and 40 seconds of actual action. Pretty underwhelming.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #2506
PilotMan
Head Coach

Cain was definitely out.

Like Steam?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #2507
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Don't they just have an hour? Not enough time for that to make it. If they started this fight earlier it could have.

Besides the fact that from the very beginning they were saying that this was the only fight that would be aired period.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #2508
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Besides the fact that from the very beginning that this was the only fight that would be aired period.

Only fight aired live.

Like Steam?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #2509
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well they have 10 minutes to fill, hopefully they put a fight in, instead of just another 10 minutes of talking. It would be a total failure then. On the level of Tyson/Spinks.

Like Steam?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #2510
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fox made the call that only one fight will air. Clay Guida's manager said they were told that Guida and Hendo didn't have star power to get put on the main show.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #2511
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Only fight aired live.

You don't know what you're talking about.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #2512
azjoe_02
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just had my first UFC watching experience. I gotta say, if they are trying to pull in new fans with tonights fight being on FOX they failed miserably. 40 minutes of pre fight and 40 seconds of actual action. Pretty underwhelming.

Heh... Plenty of good fights all the time on Spike. If you are only going to watch because it is on Fox, you probably arn't going to watch much anyway. You can't fault them for trying.
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #2513
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fox made the call that only one fight will air. Clay Guida's manager said they were told that Guida and Hendo didn't have star power to get put on the main show.

How ironic that that was the fight that I think everyone thought was going to be better than the main event and was by a mile.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #2514
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This was not a good way to judge it. If you saw the Guida/Henderson fight I think you would have a whole different opinion.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #2515
Travis
Pro Rookie

I can understand that they wanted to try and personalize the fighters to new fans tuning in tonight and that Brock was likely on there as one of the most recognizable faces in the sport, but it's really disappointing that they didn't air the Guida/Henderson fight for the simple fact that you knew those two would simply go to war no matter how long their fight lasted. Be the easiest way possible to double your chances at having at least one fight go 2.5+ rounds of action and minimize the chances of having your one fight go poorly (either early stoppage or boring decision)

That and even allowing for 8 rounds of fighting they still could have done some decent background on Cain/JDS (have a couple different packages ready depending on how long the first fight lasted). If nothing else they could have just skipped most of Buffer's annoying prattling.

Hell of a job by JDS though.

Last edited by Travis : 11-12-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #2516
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, overall, this is going over like a lead balloon.

Like Steam?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #2517
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
How ironic that that was the fight that I think everyone thought was going to be better than the main event and was by a mile.

I'm with you. They wanted to sell the big guys fighting and put all their focus into that but the problem is that there was no real shot in hell these two were going into the championship rounds with how they can stand and bang. Fox obviously was worried about scaring people away with a stinker but I think most people figurted Bendo/Guida would deliver and they did. Now the egg is on Fox's face.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #2518
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Now the egg is on Fox's face.

yep

Like Steam?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #2519
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dana is so pissed lol.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #2520
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjoe_02 View Post
Heh... Plenty of good fights all the time on Spike. If you are only going to watch because it is on Fox, you probably arn't going to watch much anyway. You can't fault them for trying.

The only reason I watched it was because Saldana is here visiting and he wanted to see it. I don't think you can compare FOX to Spike. People watch Spike specifically for MMA. I have been seeing promos for this fight for a few weeks during NFL games, House, Terra Nova, etc...

FOX has been pimping this fight to their general audience, that is much broader than Spikes, and it was a total dud to the average viewer who knows nothing about MMA.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #2521
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What they needed was Wanderlei vs. Cung Le on FOX. That's going to be a fucking war.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #2522
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Heavyweight's are so fast and so powerful now it's insane not to think that any HW fight is going to end in the first round. Just bad planning by Fox.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #2523
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This was not a good way to judge it. If you saw the Guida/Henderson fight I think you would have a whole different opinion.

But you have to look at it as the average viewer who decided to turn in and see what the hype was all about. They didn't show Guida/Henderson, they showed a 40 second fight after 40 minutes of fluff.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #2524
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But you have to look at it as the average viewer who decided to turn in and see what the hype was all about. They didn't show Guida/Henderson, they showed a 40 second fight after 40 minutes of fluff.

I agree. I think they screwed the pooch with this one. Sounds like it was Fox making the call and it was probably someone who knew nothing about the sport that made the decision.

Of course, if it ends up being something that's not for you, then there isn't much that would change that.

If you got to see the Guida/Henderson fight I think you would have known the answer to that for sure as if that one wouldn't make you want to see more than it's just not for you.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #2525
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: My original comment to you wasn't meant as saying that you weren't jusding UFC correctly. I misworded it probably. Only meant to say that tonight's show was unfortunately a lousy way to showcase the sport.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #2526
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Only meant to say that tonight's show was unfortunately a lousy way to showcase the sport.

That's what's terribly ironic about this whole thing. This is the feeling after watching a very limited free show, but no way would we be saying this if we had dropped 45 for the PPV. It's funny.

Like Steam?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #2527
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's what's terribly ironic about this whole thing. This is the feeling after watching a very limited free show, but no way would we be saying this if we had dropped 45 for the PPV. It's funny.

If the free show gave you the other matches we would't be saying it.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #2529
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
(Pacquiao got beaten handily, judges didn't agree).

truth
Old 11-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #2530
DeToxRox
Head Coach

@arielhelwani
Ariel Helwani JDS and his dr. just confirmed that he tore his meniscus 11 days ago, was on crutches for 2 days after. Couldn't walk.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #2532
molson
General Manager

Eh, I don't think it was too bad, I think casual fans love quick knockouts. Casual fans like me that could DVR through the 40 minutes of fluff like them even more.

The fight should have just started a lot earlier. I was ready for something else, pre-taped or otherwise. Live MMA with a fixed network timelot is going to be a little tricky no matter what, but if you're selling a single fight, you gotta start the fight sooner. If you're selling a show, you gotta have more than an hour....but even then, you might have to juggle the card and the order of matches as the night goes on to make sure you leave time for the main event at the end.

The odds of that going less then 1 round had to be pretty high, the odds of it going less than 2 full rounds were close to 100%. I think viewers will hang with you for a while for post-fight, and they'll be thirsting for some more blood of some type. And if not, hey, you gave them fast and quick OCD entertainment, which is going to help the brand more than what happened tonight. Tonight kind of left the impression that in the UFC, thousands of fans file into an arena, wait around for a while, watch a fight lasting a minute, and then leave.

Later at night might help too - traditionally, the late night shows are going to kick off with their best stuff, and then kind of fizzle out throughout the night as they lose viewers - Saturday Night Live, the late night talk shows, do this, as did WWF Saturday Night's Main Event back in the day (a fixed sport obviously but I think the comparison works - they would start with with Hulk Hogan at 11:30 and fizzle out to the lower-card guys by 1AM.)

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2011 at 12:31 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #2533
AlexB
Pro Starter

We were lucky over here then by the sounds of it: got Henderson v. Guida on first, followed by the HW fight, and then DaMarques Johnson v. Clay Harvison to fill the last ten minutes of a one hour show.

All good fights! I thought the same on the main event stoppage intially, that it was a bit early, but on replays Velasquez went limp/stopped defending for at least two punches, and he didn;t complain at all - even nodded his head in agreement to big John.

The way we got the fights over here, it must have been on delay (it was 3am or something here, so recorded and watched this morning, as always with UFC)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #2534
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Interesting info on JDS. I liked Cain coming out with the low kicks and I wonder if he knew about the meniscus thing. I also liked JDS coming out with the body shots. Of course none of it ended up mattering after Cain took the 500 mph overhand right behind the ear. That punch in that spot would have dropped anybody it connected with. On a side note, I saw Velasquez came in at 250 lbs, is that heavy for him?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #2535
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
Interesting info on JDS. I liked Cain coming out with the low kicks and I wonder if he knew about the meniscus thing. I also liked JDS coming out with the body shots. Of course none of it ended up mattering after Cain took the 500 mph overhand right behind the ear. That punch in that spot would have dropped anybody it connected with. On a side note, I saw Velasquez came in at 250 lbs, is that heavy for him?

Cain weighed in at 244 vs Brock, so it was heavier then that fight. I did notice he seemed to look a bit bigger in the stomach this time around but it wasn't anything I think cost him the fight.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #2536
molson
General Manager

It's kind of funny that Dos Santos fights for about a minute, and now probably won't fight again for 8 months or something. I understand the training that the goes into this and everything, but it seems like that's a ton of time when career windows are so short. One punch can define a pretty good chunk of a guy's prime, good or bad. I guess that's part of the drama, but you'd think these guys could fight more often than boxers, especially after extremely short fights.

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #2538
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Did you miss the torn meniscus part of things?

I'm saying generally, even if he was in perfect health, we wouldn't see him for 8 months. Unless he injured himself training, and then it'd be 12-16 months.

Edit: It's just anti-climatic from a casual fan perspective, and a roadblock for UFC I think. The biggest stars can fight a couple of rounds a year. Or sometimes, a lot less. I don't know if that's more grueling than 24ish rounds of boxing a year over two fights a star might fight (though even that's on the high side), but it is a lot less time you're out there in front of the fans.

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #2539
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's kind of funny that Dos Santos fights for about a minute, and now probably won't fight again for 8 months or something. I understand the training that the goes into this and everything, but it seems like that's a ton of time when career windows are so short. One punch can define a pretty good chunk of a guy's prime, good or bad. I guess that's part of the drama, but you'd think these guys could fight more often than boxers, especially after extremely short fights.

Well for champions it is different because the UFC has to obviously put together Main Event fights. JDS is probably going to fight again in March/April assuming the winner of Overeem/Brock doesn't get hurt. That isn't too bad.

It just depends on the fighter otherwise. Cowboy Cerrone has his 5th fight of 2010 vs Nate Diaz on the Brock/Overeem card. He wants fights so he gets them. It all just depends.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #2540
molson
General Manager

Ratings-wise, it looks like they did OK considering all of the football competition, but it looks like only 75% of the total viewers of the Kimbo Slice CBS fight/show.

UFC On Fox: Early Ratings Estimates Have It Coming Short Of Kimbo Slice On CBS Or Spike TV - MMA Nation
Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #2541
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

That ratings article is wrong. It didn't take into account West Coast. It was actually higher than the Slice fight. Meltzer has an article up about it on Yahoo.

So, should we chalk that one up to a punch catching Velasquez in the right spot? Or based on last night and Velasquez frequently getting knocked silly by Cheick Kongo, are there any concerns about Velasquez's ability to take a punch (much like Brock)?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #2543
AlexB
Pro Starter

Gotta love Tom Lawlor - how often have fighters walked out to Olivia Newton John?!!!!!!

Spoiler

Last edited by AlexB : 11-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #2546
PilotMan
Head Coach

wow what a main event. wow.

Like Steam?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #2547
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That might be the best fight I have ever seen. I had it a draw with Shogun getting 10-8 in the final round. Unfuckingreal.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #2548
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, Chandler vs Alvarez on Bellator tonight was fucking insane as well. I didn't think it had a shot to be topped, and yet it was.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #2549
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

they both gave fucking everything they had. CRAZY. I wanna see them fight again in 4 months, not Hendo - Jones
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #2550
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?