Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1909 FOOL-H Offseason

Here's the schedule for this week:

Code:
TONIGHT: Sim to FA THURS: FA1 FRI: FA2 SAT: DRAFT/Spring Training SUN: Off-day MON: Season TUE: Playoffs

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1908 AWARD WINNERS
-------------------
AL MVP: Honus Wagner, Chicago
NL MVP: Ed Lennox, Boston

AL POY: Heinie Berger, Boston
NL POY: Walter Johnson, New York

AL ROY: Steve Evans, Louisville
NL ROY: Stuffy McInnis, Brooklyn
Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sunday, October 25th, 1908
Cincinnati Redlegs: Signed LF M. McIntyre to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $5,100,000.
Friday, October 23rd, 1908
Chicago Cubs: Signed LF C. Hemphill to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $1,660,000.
Pittsburgh Pirates: Signed SP E. Moore to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $6,100,000.
Thursday, October 22nd, 1908
Cincinnati Redlegs: Signed CF H. Bay to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $5,340,000.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up. Free agency time. Spend Spend Spend.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saturday, December 12th, 1908
Chicago Whales: Signed free agent MR B. Milligan to a 2-year contract worth a total of $2,340,000.
Tuesday, December 8th, 1908
New York Yankees: Signed free agent MR S. Curran to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,620,000.
Sunday, December 6th, 1908
Cincinnati Redlegs: Signed free agent RF E. Flick to a 5-year contract worth a total of $47,700,000.
Philadelphia Athletics: Signed free agent LF S. Strang to a 5-year contract worth a total of $35,060,000.
New York Yankees: Signed free agent SP M. Brown to a 3-year contract worth a total of $2,160,000.
Saturday, December 5th, 1908
New York Yankees: Signed free agent 3B M. Mowrey to a 3-year contract worth a total of $3,210,000.
Friday, December 4th, 1908
Baltimore Orioles: Signed free agent 1B T. McCreery to a 2-year contract worth a total of $3,360,000.
Thursday, December 3rd, 1908
Detroit Tigers: Signed free agent RF C. Hartley to a 2-year contract worth a total of $9,120,000.
Wednesday, December 2nd, 1908
Philadelphia Athletics: Signed free agent MR D. Deegan to a 1-year contract worth a total of $690,000.
Boston Red Sox: Signed free agent SS E. Wheeler to a 1-year contract worth a total of $830,000.
Chicago Whales: Signed free agent SP E. Walsh to a 6-year contract worth a total of $53,200,000.
Chicago Whales: Signed free agent SP C. Robitaille to a 4-year contract worth a total of $35,330,000.
Tuesday, December 1st, 1908
Philadelphia Athletics: Signed free agent MR A. Scott to a 1-year contract worth a total of $630,000.
New York Yankees: Signed free agent MR C. Elliott to a 3-year contract worth a total of $2,040,000.
Friday, November 27th, 1908
Detroit Tigers: Signed free agent LF A. Bader to a 3-year contract worth a total of $4,980,000.
Saturday, November 21st, 1908
Baltimore Orioles: Signed free agent 2B E. Beck to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,980,000.
Friday, November 20th, 1908
St. Louis Cardinals: Signed free agent 2B E. Bruyette to a 4-year contract worth a total of $3,840,000.
Tuesday, November 17th, 1908
Chicago Whales: Signed SP T. Walker to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $2,440,000.
Monday, November 16th, 1908
Boston Beaneaters: Signed SP C. Mathewson to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $3,900,000.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Is it just me or is draft pick compensation kind of inhibiting this league?

I don't think its right that a lot of talent or talented looking guys are sitting on the free agent list, while teams have 10s of millions of dollars to book. It makes no sense.

Norwood Gibson is a prime example. He didn't exactly flourish as a closer, but any year I limited his use he has had microscopic ERA and he's only 31. He's NOT a type A free agent, but the game classifies him as so, and so he sits.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
Is it just me or is draft pick compensation kind of inhibiting this league?

I don't think its right that a lot of talent or talented looking guys are sitting on the free agent list, while teams have 10s of millions of dollars to book. It makes no sense.

Norwood Gibson is a prime example. He didn't exactly flourish as a closer, but any year I limited his use he has had microscopic ERA and he's only 31. He's NOT a type A free agent, but the game classifies him as so, and so he sits.

I actually was thinking the other direction. I find there isn't enough free agent talent that I even care about and wished people would be more interested in draft picks.

There were only 3 players this free agency that I wanted, but silly me tried for all three and lost on all three

I actually would think if any changes were to be made, we push asking prices back up just a hair (not as much as they used to be.. maybe halfway in between).. But I can deal with how things are too, just have to get used to it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
hyde4us11
Coordinator

I like compensation as it is. I like the fact that I have to consider if the player is worth the money and losing of the pick.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think draft pick compensation is a bit ridiculous. And whether people admit it or not, I know that it inhibits people from making signings they'd otherwise make. But seems the trend is in favour of it by and large.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
EddieK
High School Varsity

The problem I have is that a lot of the players are so close in ratings that there isn't much reason to sign someone for huge dollars in free agency. I don't even look at if they are compensation or not.
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I think draft pick compensation is a bit ridiculous. And whether people admit it or not, I know that it inhibits people from making signings they'd otherwise make. But seems the trend is in favour of it by and large.

Yeah, I agree with Eddie. Free Agency compensation hasn't stopped me from making one signing yet in this league. Just not been enough talent in free agency. I kind of wished there were more rebuilding teams looking to trade aging talent or let it hit free agency.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
EddieK
High School Varsity

I think once we see the likes of the famous Yankee players you'll see an upward in movement because that ERA brought a difference in baseball with power and such.
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
I think once we see the likes of the famous Yankee players you'll see an upward in movement because that ERA brought a difference in baseball with power and such.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all. I think once you see as we get further on when historically there were -more- players as well it will change things too. I merely was saying why I don't want to get rid of compensation is all

Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
TimGuru
High School Varsity

A few comments on the comments on my comment:

I am shocked to witness Alan's opinion, because it is the first time in my involvement in FOOL that I think it is conceivable, even likely, that he is either wrong or unintentionally being disingenuous. (NOTE UNINTENTIONALLY, I don't want anyone riding to Alan's rescue). Yes, perhaps the compensation risk hasn't caused you to NOT sign a guy. But there is a very clear economic cost to draft pick compensation especially in the current bugged format. Draft picks in a real-player historical league are gold. Players are much more known commodities and more importantly, most first rounders are major league ready. Its the whole point of the rookie draft in a historical league. They were ROOKIES the year they enter the database, they don't need seasoning at AAA. To give up a draft pick, you are implicitly assigning a cost to that signing...not only are you giving up the pick but the roster spot, which would be at league minimum for 3 years as opposed to free agent $. In collectible card game terms, you are giving up a resource generating card (boring, cheap, common) for a rare....under the right conditions, you play and win the game. But the rare, you have to tailor your whole deck around, the resource base supports everything else.

It is also contradictory to suggest that the compensation is worthy of being in the league, when the free agent talent pool is meh at best. With a league awash in cash (only the Whales are anywhere near the cap, as far as I can tell), there are no little sisters of the poor who can't keep their own future free agents. Instead, we are all chucking guys to the free agent list, and offering the type A arbitration, hoping someone will snap them up and reward us with an extra draft pick. FA compensation is intended to help a rebuilder, by letting them have an extra cheap, reasonably talented guy while they part with an established player who heaving dollars at during a rebuild would be fruitless. With no real logic other than german engineering assigning the type A tag, it IS better to sign a guy with a slightly less sexy avoid Ks or a 2 stuff instead of 3, and hope for the best.

And on a less contentious note, but still disputatious, it doesn't get better anytime soon, depth of talent wise. I participated in a historical league from '28 to '40, and especially with pitchers, they ALL have the same ratings for decades to come. Get used to 3/9/8 2/9/7 etc guys. Get used to power of 3 being a monster. Except for the Iron Horse, I can't recall a guy from that era who overwhelmed with his power stat (by then the Babe was in decline). X may hav ea different database set, but...thats what it was in 09.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

No one needs to come to my rescue, I don't think you said anything insulting and I like healthy conversation when no one is attacking each other. I fully admit that I'm not always right, so I often pick up and learn things about OOTP from others too

That said, I'm struggling a bit to try to understand your full point here or how what I said is not accurate. There were only three players this past free agency that I felt would improve my team at a position. I believe all three had some kind of compensation attached to them and that did not pause me a bit in making bids for any of them.

The point I'm mainly saying is that I feel there is not enough available big name players to acquire, right now teams are having a hard time feeling it worth letting a star go to free agency, which in my mind means compensation doesn't do enough if anything. If compensation was overpowered in the direction you feel then why wouldn't non-contending teams be doing the following:

1) Try to trade aging star for more than 2 quality prospects

if unable to find a solution for #1

2) Allow aging star go for two picks that are young, cheap and ML ready?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I didn't say it was overpowered. To briefly return to my CCG analogy, the YAHWEH cards in CCGs are rarely overpowered (at least in the electronic milieu, where they can be balanced by a patch if they start out that way). If anything, most of the VRs are HARD to use, you have to tailor your whole deck to them. VRs usually have a specific "use" condition...you need x bases on x nodes, all of different colors, etc. To insure you draw out a copy of your VR and all of its prerequisites, you need to sacrifice more utilitarian cards (offense/defense hybrids, spells, whatever) and load up on multiple copies of the win combo cards.

I said INHIBITING. OK, to now belabor my CCG analogy, when there is a YAHWEH card out there, in vogue at a given time, decks start to be of 1 of 2 flavors: they have it, or they are built exclusively to deal with it, and often end up lacking a convincing win condition of their own. Boring.

Here's what I KNOW is happening in FOOL H:

Norwood Gibson asks for 4 million for 4 years to extend. For a 17 IP pitcher? Screw. I know I can offer him arb, and put him out on the market as at least a type B (he turned out to be a type A). I pull up a guy from AAA, or I prioritize my draft list to get the same stats on a rookie, or I count on getting a similar guy on the market myself. Then I hope and wish that someone else falls in love with him, and signs him, and I get a sandwich pick.

I got Ed Delahanty 2 years in a row, in FA 2 sim, for less than half his asking price, for 1 year instead of the 4 or 5 he wanted. So he signed with me for between 10 and 18% of his desired total contract value. Why? His AI agent wanted him hitting in my grand canyon of a ballpark? No, because no one else offered him. In the second year, it was free to me, because I got him back so his compensation wasn't owed to myself. People were scared off by a combination of his asking price and his compensation tag. Remember you and I were in a "bidding war" over Christy Matthewson in the second FA sim? No one else chimed in that they had middled us, how is it that Christy Matthewson was around that late in free agency, and 2 teams competed for him?

I believe without the compensation tags, and especially as currently constituted since they lurk for-ev-er, we would see more flyers being taken on notable talent, at least in the second sim. Why NOT try to spend to your cap on 1 year flyer offers? Because you don't want to also waste draft picks. Compensation effectively takes half the league out of bidding on the top guys, almost exclusively, not because they are cash loaded behemoths who would otherwise overpower cash strapped podunk markets, but because draft picks are first off, fun, and secondly, of marked value. In a league with many similar looking players, a second round 3/8/8/ end 10 SP is BETTTER than the same guy who already proved he can pitch to a 4.5 ERA, right?

Maybe not, but we can't even KNOW. Too much talent, of murky suspect quality, is sitting on the market, untapped, untested and unknown. I don't think talent is too sparse, I think we have too sparse talent actually playing to have the tools to judge. Its like when you run a solo league with ghost players enabled, but the AI teams slavishly field 25 man minor league rosters. Your team, with your 4 prospects and 21 ghosts, always kicks the AI minors asses, because the "average" ghost player, times 21, is miles better than a team with a bell curve distribution of studs to dim bulbs.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I hate to say it, but you completely lose me in the CCG stuff. I don't even know what it is I fear

I don't think you can compare relief pitchers to everything else. I think relief pitchers in historical sims for the most part are fairly a-historical anyways, so most of them aren't really much better than the others in the file. Plus in my opinion OOTP doesn't handle compensation for Relief pitchers well anyways (even in modern leagues). So I'll concede those points.

Delahanty and Mathewson both are players I bid on. I had cap issues or I would have bid more for Delahanty in those years. Mathewson, i completely spaced and missed him on one sim, and the other one I offered him more than you and he picked you instead. So I ended up paying more than I wanted to in trade to get him after the fact unfortunately for me.

I think in almost every season there has been at least 1 or 2 guys that are type A or B compensation that I've bid on. Maybe I am in the minority though on that.

Either way, I guess if you really want to look at the point I'm making, I guess in a way you could say my point means that it wouldn't matter if we had compensation or not since my main issue is there are not enough players that people are letting go to Free Agency for compensation currently. So removing compensation wouldn't change that too much.

Maybe my opinions are skewed and I am the -only- person trying to sign compensation eligible players each season.. considering I almost never land them though and usually are out-bid I don't think that is the case though.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
hyde4us11
Coordinator

For the record I bid on alot of FA that are due compensation myself. I usually lose the bids because I do factor in the money with compensation. Also I have been getting lots of picks alot lately. 5 picks in the first 2 rounds 2 seasons ago, and this year I'll have 4 picks in round 1 alone. Now these numbers include the compensation round as round 1. So people are signing guys.

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 10-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.
hyde4us11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Exports grabbed. Showtime through the rest of FA.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

Nice to see people raising hell about FOOL-H. Hehe...we've arrived!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saturday, December 26th, 1908
New York Yankees: Signed free agent SP N. Gibson to a 2-year contract worth a total of $2,700,000.
Friday, December 25th, 1908
Cincinnati Redlegs: Signed free agent CL C. McGeehan to a 3-year contract worth a total of $6,140,000.
Thursday, December 24th, 1908
New York Yankees: Signed free agent SP H. Schmidt to a 1-year contract worth a total of $570,000.
Monday, December 21st, 1908
St. Louis Cardinals: Signed free agent RF B. Congalton to a 1-year contract worth a total of $750,000.
Saturday, December 19th, 1908
Louisville Black Caps: Signed SP T. Hughes to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $1,900,000.
Louisville Black Caps: Signed MR W. Lee to a 1-year contract extension worth a total of $1,330,000.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saturday, January 9th, 1909
Philadelphia Athletics: Signed free agent RF D. Jones to a 1-year contract worth a total of $1,010,000.
St. Louis Cardinals: Placed 2B E. Bruyette on the active roster.
St. Louis Cardinals: Placed RF B. Congalton on the active roster.
Thursday, January 7th, 1909
Philadelphia Athletics: Signed free agent RF J. Titus to a 1-year contract worth a total of $1,200,000.
Tuesday, January 5th, 1909
Philadelphia Athletics: Signed free agent SP E. Doheny to a 1-year contract worth a total of $1,830,000.
Saturday, January 2nd, 1909
New York Yankees: Signed free agent SP J. Corbett to a 1-year contract worth a total of $700,000.
New York Yankees: Signed free agent SP H. McIntire to a 1-year contract worth a total of $570,000.
Friday, January 1st, 1909
New York Yankees: Signed free agent 2B F. Isbell to a 1-year contract worth a total of $3,120,000.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
spot
High School JV

FWIW, I am in Tim's camp.

I have structured a lot of FA activity differently based on the possibility of compensation, either given or gotten.

It is less of an issue in the case of need, but it does exist.

While Alan and hyde (and maybe some others) have not focused in on the compensation tag per se, I have to assume based on the trend thus far that most others are approaching FA the way I do.

That isn't to say that I like/dislike FA compensation, like everything else you need to know how to play the game.

FOOL: Chico Rebels
2060-Present

PCBL Philadelphia Ambassadors
1993-Present
spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #26
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I wonder if (that means, hey Alan does it work this way?)

Suppose after FA sim 1 we turned compensation off. That way, we'd have the best of possibily all worlds. During sim 1, owners would be properly compensated for "hot commoditities" who are worth giving up a draft pick for (Christy Matthewson, Ginger beaumont types, from my own experience). By turning compensation off, I am postulating that the tags already on guys would clear; I'm also hoping they would stay cleared and that would be a workaround for the bug.

At the start of the season sim, DC could turn it back ON, so that the next crop of FAs would be tagged appropriately.

Beyond the compensation, we do, I think, need to do something to get some cash out of the league. Your own guys ask for too much knowing what is available on the open market, which Alan thinks is not having the effect I think its having (he thinks teams aren't being realistic when they resign their own guys despite hopeless situations some years). I personally have let some guys go I could afford just because I didn't like their demand even if I could afford it.

Just thinking aloud. I really enjoy FOOL H, and I like having a FOOL X league (I only bought fool x so I could play -h so...), so...yeah.

ps....FLOP?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yes, it appears you can turn off FA compensation at any point. Since Compensation picks are awarded at the time the FA is signed, that would effectively cancel compensation for the 2nd FA sim if that is something that DC wanted to do. If he went that road though, probably best to turn it back on at the end of the playoffs instead of the start of the season though).

Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #28
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Actually following up on that even though you can turn it off at any time, once the regular season starts it appears you can't turn it back on until the next pre-season. Meaning that idea won't work after all.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #29
TimGuru
High School Varsity

DC, don't forget the Yanks-Beans trade thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #30
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Interesting draft, a lot of good bat talent. Pitching is a mystery as always.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
DC, don't forget the Yanks-Beans trade thanks

I was teaching today and remembered I forgot it. I'll get it tonight.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I wonder if (that means, hey Alan does it work this way?)

Suppose after FA sim 1 we turned compensation off. That way, we'd have the best of possibily all worlds. During sim 1, owners would be properly compensated for "hot commoditities" who are worth giving up a draft pick for (Christy Matthewson, Ginger beaumont types, from my own experience). By turning compensation off, I am postulating that the tags already on guys would clear; I'm also hoping they would stay cleared and that would be a workaround for the bug.

At the start of the season sim, DC could turn it back ON, so that the next crop of FAs would be tagged appropriately.

Beyond the compensation, we do, I think, need to do something to get some cash out of the league. Your own guys ask for too much knowing what is available on the open market, which Alan thinks is not having the effect I think its having (he thinks teams aren't being realistic when they resign their own guys despite hopeless situations some years). I personally have let some guys go I could afford just because I didn't like their demand even if I could afford it.

Just thinking aloud. I really enjoy FOOL H, and I like having a FOOL X league (I only bought fool x so I could play -h so...), so...yeah.

ps....FLOP?

I'm going to operate under the "if it ain't broke, don't fit it" mentality for right now. Maybe not forever, but...we're just hitting our stride and so, I'd like to kinda monitor things for a while before thinking of making any adaptations.I think the nature of the league being historical and a lot of the guys coming in now not being the most household of names might owe a lot to how some of them rot, plus the difference in ratings, etc., so I just think it'll take some time to get it together.

As for FLOP...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

FOOL-H 1909 Draft Pool: Historical Review - Front Office Football Central

Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Round 1
Round 1, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: SP P. Alexander
Round 1, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: SP R. Caldwell
Round 1, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: SP H. Bedient
Round 1, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: SP R. Fisher
Round 1, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: SP G. Kahler
Round 1, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: SP J. Rogan
Round 1, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: SP F. Lange
Round 1, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: SP J. Pfeffer
Round 1, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: SP S. Stroud
Round 1, Pick 10 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: SP G. Chalmers
Round 1, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: CF D. Zwilling
Round 1, Pick 12 - New York Giants: 1B V. Saier
Round 1, Pick 13 - Chicago Cubs: 1B J. Daubert
Round 1, Pick 14 - Chicago Whales: LF M. Carey
Round 1, Pick 15 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: SP L. Tyler
Round 1, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: SP B. Steele
Supplemental Round 1
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 1 - Cincinnati Redlegs: RF J. Dalton
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 2 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: SP S. Harkness
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 3 - Chicago Cubs: SP H. Griffin
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 4 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: SP E. Stack
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 5 - Philadelphia Athletics: SP M. Hall
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 6 - Chicago Cubs: SP R. Nelson
Round 1 (Supplemental Round), Pick 7 - Chicago Whales: C E. Ainsmith
Round 2
Round 2, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: 1B H. Gowdy
Round 2, Pick 2 - St. Louis Cardinals: SP R. Mitchell
Round 2, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: RF D. Miller
Round 2, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: 2B J. Kirke
Round 2, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: LF B. Daniels
Round 2, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: MR D. Rudolph
Round 2, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: SP L. George
Round 2, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: SP F. Link
Round 2, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: 2B R. Walsh
Round 2, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: RF H. Myers
Round 2, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: RF S. Collins
Round 2, Pick 12 - New York Giants: MR M. McHale
Round 2, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: SP B. Humphries
Round 2, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: CF J. Riggert
Round 2, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: 2B B. DeMoss
Round 2, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: SP O. Weaver
Round 3
Round 3, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: SS R. Peckinpaugh
Round 3, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: 2B R. Zeider
Round 3, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: CF H. Northen
Round 3, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: SS E. Foster
Round 3, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: SS R. Roach
Round 3, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: MR A. Brennan
Round 3, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: C J. Henry
Round 3, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: MR F. Browning
Round 3, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: 3B A. Phelan
Round 3, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: LF B. Collins
Round 3, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: MR B. Hearn
Round 3, Pick 12 - New York Giants: CF O. Abbott
Round 3, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: C O. Miller
Round 3, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: 1B P. Newnam
Round 3, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: RF P. Meloan
Round 3, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: 1B H. Simmons
Round 4
Round 4, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: MR A. Malloy
Round 4, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: 1B H. Bradley
Round 4, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: SP F. Blanding
Round 4, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: MR S. Burk
Round 4, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: MR R. Benton
Round 4, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: 2B F. Truesdale
Round 4, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: 1B C. Mullen
Round 4, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: CF F. Chouinard
Round 4, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: SS R. Corriden
Round 4, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: MR H. Pernoll
Round 4, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: MR W. Dickson
Round 4, Pick 12 - New York Giants: MR L. Schettler
Round 4, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: SS A. Hauser
Round 4, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: MR C. Chouneau
Round 4, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: MR E. Rieger
Round 4, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: C E. Mack
Round 5
Round 5, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: 1B N. Hunter
Round 5, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: MR B. Demott
Round 5, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: 3B J. Burg
Round 5, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: MR R. Boyd
Round 5, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: SS C. Derrick
Round 5, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: MR J. Ferry
Round 5, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: LF D. Callahan
Round 5, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: SP E. Koestner
Round 5, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: MR D. Hinrichs
Round 5, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: 3B R. Jansen
Round 5, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: MR R. Good
Round 5, Pick 12 - New York Giants: 1B B. Houser
Round 5, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: SS A. McCarthy
Round 5, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: 1B J. Flynn
Round 5, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: RF H. Smith
Round 5, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: SP F. Ray
Round 6
Round 6, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: MR E. Hendricks
Round 6, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: LF L. Channell
Round 6, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: MR H. Patton
Round 6, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: LF J. Burns
Round 6, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: MR R. Geyer
Round 6, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: CF L. LeJeune
Round 6, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: MR B. Chambers
Round 6, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: CF E. Zacher
Round 6, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: CF R. Pond
Round 6, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: MR C. Mahoney
Round 6, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: MR H. Fanwell
Round 6, Pick 12 - New York Giants: MR A. Carson
Round 6, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: MR M. Walker
Round 6, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: MR A. Loudell
Round 6, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: MR H. Kirsch
Round 6, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: 2B B. Cunningham
Round 7
Round 7, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: LF J. Riley
Round 7, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: MR C. Pickett
Round 7, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: C B. Kelly
Round 7, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: MR B. Culp
Round 7, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: 1B J. Somerlott
Round 7, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: MR L. Webb
Round 7, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: MR K. Dowd
Round 7, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: MR D. Skeels
Round 7, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: SP R. Golden
Round 7, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: LF J. Castle
Round 7, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: MR B. Slaughter
Round 7, Pick 12 - New York Giants: 3B H. Bronkie
Round 7, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: MR B. Crouch
Round 7, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: MR F. Schneiberg
Round 7, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: MR W. Slagle
Round 7, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: MR B. Burke
Round 8
Round 8, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: SP B. Hunt
Round 8, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: C B. Adams
Round 8, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: MR G. Crable
Round 8, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: LF A. Kaiser
Round 8, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: MR J. Mercer
Round 8, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: SS H. Spratt
Round 8, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: MR C. Girard
Round 8, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: LF D. Ralston
Round 8, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: 1B E. Hohnhorst
Round 8, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: SP J. Killilay
Round 8, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: SS F. Betcher
Round 8, Pick 12 - New York Giants: MR H. Gardner
Round 8, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: MR L. Russell
Round 8, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: MR M. Peasley
Round 8, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: MR C. Alberts
Round 8, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: 1B D. Moskiman
Round 9
Round 9, Pick 1 - Pittsburgh Pirates: MR E. Moyer
Round 9, Pick 2 - Louisville Black Caps: MR E. Zmich
Round 9, Pick 3 - Baltimore Orioles: RF A. Thomason
Round 9, Pick 4 - New York Yankees: MR W. Anderson
Round 9, Pick 5 - Chicago Cubs: MR F. Miller
Round 9, Pick 6 - St. Louis Cardinals: MR B. McTigue
Round 9, Pick 7 - Brooklyn Royal Giants: MR B. Schreiber
Round 9, Pick 8 - Philadelphia Phillies: MR J. Parson
Round 9, Pick 9 - Washington Senators: CF J. Rutherford
Round 9, Pick 10 - Detroit Tigers: 1B R. Bowser
Round 9, Pick 11 - Boston Beaneaters: 2B M. Corcoran
Round 9, Pick 12 - New York Giants: LF R. Sellers
Round 9, Pick 13 - Cincinnati Redlegs: 3B C. Lathers
Round 9, Pick 14 - Philadelphia Athletics: C R. Elliott
Round 9, Pick 15 - Chicago Whales: SS B. Meinke
Round 9, Pick 16 - Boston Red Sox: CF E. Lush
Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SPRING TRAINING 1909

AL
Philadelphia 17-7
Baltimore 15-9
Louisville 13-11
Detroit 13-11
Chicago 12-12
New York 9-15
Washington 9-15
Boston 8-16

NL
Pittsburgh 16-8
New York 15-9
Cincinnati 15-9
Philadelphia 14-10
Chicago 9-15
Boston 9-15
St. Louis 9-15
Brooklyn 9-15
Old 10-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tuesday, March 2nd, 1909
Boston Beaneaters: Signed free agent RF S. Seybold to a 1-year contract worth a total of $5,350,000.
St. Louis Cardinals: Signed free agent SS J. Cassidy to a 1-year contract worth a total of $810,000.
Boston Beaneaters: Signed free agent RF C. Rossman to a 1-year contract worth a total of $3,350,000.
Washington Senators: Signed free agent MR F. Bell to a 3-year contract worth a total of $7,200,000.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sens are over the cap heading into the season on Monday. You'll want to fix that.

Rank Team Payroll
1 Washington Senators $66,904,200
2 Chicago Whales $64,600,200
3 Boston Beaneaters $63,528,130
4 New York Giants $57,353,200
5 Philadelphia Athletics $53,750,900
6 Baltimore Orioles $53,558,360
7 New York Yankees $52,539,000
8 Cincinnati Redlegs $52,355,000
9 Boston Red Sox $50,315,000
10 Pittsburgh Pirates $44,438,600
11 Philadelphia Phillies $40,901,528
12 Detroit Tigers $40,624,280
13 St. Louis Cardinals $39,715,200
14 Brooklyn Royal Giants $35,160,470
15 Louisville Black Caps $30,145,202
16 Chicago Cubs $20,938,600
Old 10-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up
Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #39
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Top Players
Batters
PlayerAVGRHHRRBISBOPS
Homerun Baker, CIN.348203151441.010
Ginger Beaumont, NYY.35912373206.922
Beals Becker, STL.40919361160.958
Kitty Bransfield, PIT.39124410105.947
Ty Cobb, NYG.440244421741.130
Gavvy Cravath, PHA.391162711051.045
Mike Donlin, BAL.4502036214141.110
Elmer Flick, CIN.446142921651.117
Charlie Hickman, PIT.505225232401.249
Joe Jackson, CHA.388203822781.012
Tim Jordan, WAS.344122241831.026
Ed Konetchy, PHA.35020343164.939
Tom McCreery, BAL.35416291166.987
Fred Merkle, PHI.36318413250.943
Ward Miller, CHA.378143401214.863
Albert Shaw, PHI.40920430190.986
Fred Snodgrass, BAL.393203511741.000
Tris Speaker, CHA.34027333134.928
Honus Wagner, CHA.37521391154.995
Art Wilson, PHI.398183702801.010

Pitchers
PlayerWLSVIPERAKWHIPOAVG
Ralph Caldwell, LOU30122.04.09191.41.239
Doc Crandall, PIT30020.00.9040.85.176
John Frill, NYG30126.31.03180.95.179
Henry Gehring, PHA20128.02.89161.43.241
Weldon Henley, DET10112.72.13100.71.156
Ollie Johns, PIT20024.72.19130.93.195
Addie Joss, BAL40024.03.3891.12.250
Burt Keeley, CIN31016.01.1240.69.145
Rube Kroh, PHA20316.02.25131.25.250
Conny McGeehan, CIN1044.71.9330.86.067
Harry McIntire, NYY21139.32.29201.19.210
Tex Neuer, LOU1057.73.5271.57.250
Jack Pfiester, BAL00032.71.65161.10.237
Jack Quinn, PIT10217.71.53100.91.197
Jim St. Vrain, CIN40016.01.1250.94.167
Harry Suter, PIT1048.31.0870.96.172
Jerry Upp, CIN10024.72.55161.18.204
Joe Williams, PHA0056.34.2681.26.280
Fred Winchell, PHI11227.33.95111.24.245
Harley Young, BAL21416.34.4141.22.175

Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #40
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Cool, I got my second ranked guy, my 4th ranked guy, 15th and 23rd. I had Daubert 3rd overall and he went 13th. He can be taught to play second or shortstop people....

Last edited by TimGuru : 10-04-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #41
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cool, I got my second ranked guy, my 4th ranked guy, 15th and 23rd. I had Daubert 3rd overall and he went 13th. He can be taught to play second or shortstop people....

I think I had Daubert 3rd or 4th on my list. Not sure.

I am pretty excited about the player I got (Zwilling)

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #42
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I had zwilling fifth, I think he will be a monster. Better than Daubert at the plate, but my plan was to force Daubert to play ss in the minors for one whole season. As you recently proved, middle infielding is sparse in -h.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #43
spot
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Sens are over the cap heading into the season on Monday. You'll want to fix that.

So I can just cut salary of about 2 million, right? Even though my expenses will take a hit I just need to get the salary number down?

FOOL: Chico Rebels
2060-Present

PCBL Philadelphia Ambassadors
1993-Present

Last edited by spot : 10-04-2009 at 10:10 AM.
spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #44
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
So I can just cut salary of about 2 million, right? Even though my expenses will take a hit I just need to get the salary number down?

yeah, as long as the salary is below $65 for opening day you are ok. You'll make enough in profit to cover the expenses hit.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #45
cmldude
Mascot

I sure hope Charlie Hickman can go into the season batting as hot as he did in spring training. .505 avg? that's awesome
NL Champs-1921,1922,1923,1924,1925,1926,1927,1929,1931,1936
World Champs-1922,1924,1925,1929,1931

FOOLX--Las Vegas Wildcats since 2010
Playoff Apperences-11
Classic Champs-2054,2067
cmldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #46
MattG
Mascot

Just curious where my 2nd round pick went? I don't remember signing any big name FA's this time around.

I gotta admit I don't under compensation at all.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #47
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I had zwilling fifth, I think he will be a monster. Better than Daubert at the plate, but my plan was to force Daubert to play ss in the minors for one whole season. As you recently proved, middle infielding is sparse in -h.

I don't see the potential to move him to SS, or am I missing something?
He is an above average defensive 1Bman, which seldom translates into anything but a very basic skill at any other position. In a "manufacturing runs" setup like a deadball era league, a glove is as important as a bat. I think this is risky!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #48
TimGuru
High School Varsity

His inf range, arm and turn dp are all 7, inf error is 8. Amby McConnell, who is a 6 at second base, is only 6 in those categories. There is at least the possibility that he could learn ss if he played there for an entire season at AAA. Not like he'd regress as a 1B during that year.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Just curious where my 2nd round pick went? I don't remember signing any big name FA's this time around.

I gotta admit I don't under compensation at all.

Looks like it was from the signing of Dummy Taylor. You signed him as a free agent last season, but it was the same day as the draft and it must have occured after the draft took place on 3/2, thus the compensation kicked over to this season as best I can tell.

In the next OOTPX patch, it will fix compensation where players signed after the draft won't give compensation anymore and clear up cases like this.