Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2024, 10:04 PM   #7801
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Do you watch it while listening to Dark Side of the Moon?

Mentioned that to my wife and she was amazed that I'd never heard of that rumor before, apparently everybody knows about Dark Side of the Moon and Oz. But I didnt.

So no, I watched to it with the correct soundtrack. And it was great, 9/10, would watch again next Christmas.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:22 PM   #7802
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Not a Christmas movie, but Christmas isnt Christmas without a The Wizard of Oz viewing. Love that movie.

The sequel scared the shit out of me as a kid. Fucking Wheelers were creepy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:07 AM   #7803
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The sequel scared the shit out of me as a kid. Fucking Wheelers were creepy.

It was Dumbo that got me as a kid. The dancing pink elephants, had to be lead out the cinema screaming and crying.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #7804
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Saltburn- 7/10 I think maybe I would have rated it higher if it hadn't been so over-hyped before I saw it. There was definitely some sexual cringe to this movie, but it wasn't nearly as daring and shocking as people lead me to believe. The acting was solid and the cinematography was outstanding so there is much to like about the movie. In the end, the sexual shock was about the only shock in the story as I could see each of the main story points coming from a mile away. Good movie that was just less impresive than expected.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:08 PM   #7805
tarcone
Coordinator

The Aristocrats-- 10/10

This is a documentary about the greatest joke ever told. It goes into how the joke is an inside joke amongst comedians that has two likes to remember, but can go as long as you want it and it goes in any direction.

It features some great comedians and if you are a comedy fan, this is a must see.

Streaming on Peacock

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:21 PM   #7806
jcard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
It was Dumbo that got me as a kid. The dancing pink elephants, had to be lead out the cinema screaming and crying.

“Watership Down” for me.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #7807
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. There was a great movie in there, but they spent 90 minutes of it being weird for the sake of being weird. And this is from someone who enjoys weird. There is no way you can convince me that was the best movie of 2022.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:13 AM   #7808
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Asteroid City

I enjoy Wes Anderson, so if you like his works then you'll already feel at home with his style and tropes.

That being said, I by far, loved this movie than some of his other works. I actually laughed at parts which I didn't really do in prior films and there were parts that perhaps were maudlin or meant to make the viewer emotional, but they worked for me. (I enjoyed Fantastic Mr. Fox which had some of the same beats/tone but is not an original Anderson work).

Just like Grand Budpest or Royal Tennenbaums or French Dispatch, there is the movie and then there is the media where the story comes from (i.e. Royal Tennabaums is a book, Grand Budapest has a documentary cut into it, French Dispatch is stories in a New Yorker style magazine). In Asteroid, it's a tv show documentary, on the creation of the play of the actual movie. So yeah, layers, but I never felt confused.

I didn't pick up on it until reading some other reviews, but this is Anderson COVID movie (there is a quarentine) and this is probably Anderson's biggest movie about life and death and the future of art ( plays, films, etc), which I think French Dispatch also wrestled with but moreso with printed media as opposed to theartical/tv/cinema.

The biggest mantra in the film is something along the likes of "you wake up if you don't fall asleep" which I suppose is like you have accept that you will die in order to learn how to live. Which may have been my deeper than it is opinion, but there is much about "we don't know what we don't know" which is brought up a few times in the film when questions on what is important, or why certain characters did certain actions in the film, they don't know, but perhaps that is it, we just don't know and we don't need to.

It's a brighter film than most of his other works. It's a Western backdrop to a science fiction theme, but it's about family and love and loss.

I never felt bored or lost with this work. Perhaps I'm immune to the tics that annoy other viewers of Anderson's work.

The best line that reverberated with me "If you wanted to live a nice quiet peaceful life, you picked the wrong time to get born". I think that can be said for all generations.

I think it's one of his best works.

9 out of 10.

Asteroid City 4/10

I kind of had the exact opposite response to this movie. I watched it with my girlfriend the yesterday and we both had no idea what this movie was suppose to be about or why it was suppose to be entertaining. The movie's message was "there" but we didn't exactly find it profound or anything like that.

There's a few jokes here and there we laughed to but the most fun I had in this movie was trying to remember the names of all the actors that show up in this. And there a LOT of well known actors.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:59 PM   #7809
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Asteroid City 4/10

I kind of had the exact opposite response to this movie. I watched it with my girlfriend the yesterday and we both had no idea what this movie was suppose to be about or why it was suppose to be entertaining. The movie's message was "there" but we didn't exactly find it profound or anything like that.

There's a few jokes here and there we laughed to but the most fun I had in this movie was trying to remember the names of all the actors that show up in this. And there a LOT of well known actors.

Yeah I don't befault you for not liking it. So a question: Is this your first Wes Anderson film? They're all quirky and humor is very subjective.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:50 PM   #7810
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Yeah I don't befault you for not liking it. So a question: Is this your first Wes Anderson film? They're all quirky and humor is very subjective.

From reading his filmography, the only movie I've seen was was The Royal Tenenbaums which was an age ago. I remember decently enjoying that movie but Asteroid City just did nothing for me.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:49 AM   #7811
Edward64
Head Coach

Oppenheimer - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed the first 2+ hours. But the last 45 min (?) post war stuff was weird to me. But big thumbs up for being entertained & learning a lot of history. Matt Damon was solid. Loved the Trinity test stuff. Didn't know Heisenberg was part of the Nazi nuke program. Loved the Einstein cameos. Yeah, much preferred it over Barbie.

FWIW, didn't know Oppenheimer was that "randy". Always imagined top Physicists to be ... disinterested.

That post war story did seem to be accurate.

Quote:
In December 1953, Strauss informed Oppenheimer that his security clearance had been stripped, but the physicist appealed the decision to a three-member panel that launched a month-long hearing in April 1954. After a one-sided proceeding in which Oppenheimer’s lawyers were blocked from accessing confidential material, the panel acknowledged he was a loyal citizen but voted 2 to 1 to revoke his security clearance.

The decision left Oppenheimer’s reputation in tatters. “He was a man of peace, and they destroyed him. He was a man of science, and they destroyed this man,” lamented close friend and fellow physicist Isidor Isaac Rabi.

Five years later, Strauss paid a price for Oppenheimer’s blacklisting. When Eisenhower appointed Strauss as U.S. secretary of commerce, the Senate rejected his nomination after a bitter confirmation hearing in which his treatment of Oppenheimer played a critical role. Strauss was only the eighth Cabinet nominee in U.S. history—and the only one between 1925 and 1989—who failed to win confirmation. Following the defeat, Strauss focused on philanthropic ventures until his death in 1974.

Not sure how accurate the Oppenheimer-Truman meeting really was though. But good scene.

Quote:
“Mr. President,” he said, “I feel I have blood on my hands.”

Oppenheimer’s biographers in “American Prometheus” recounted how Truman would later retell the incident: “Over the years, Truman embellished the story. By one account, he replied, 'Never mind, it’ll all come out in the wash.' In yet another version, he pulled his handkerchief from his breast pocket and offered it to Oppenheimer, saying, 'Well, here, would you like to wipe your hands?'”

Ultimately, “American Prometheus” posits the most likely response Truman gave to Oppenheimer was a bit less dramatic. “I told him the blood was on my hands — to let me worry about that,” Truman allegedly said to a colleague.

However it went down, the exchange destroyed any collegiality the men might have formed. Truman stood up to signal the meeting was over, and Oppie walked out defeated. “Blood on his hands, dammit, he hasn’t half as much blood on his hands as I have,” Truman was overheard saying afterward. “You just don’t go around bellyaching about it.”

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-18-2024 at 04:49 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:52 AM   #7812
Edward64
Head Coach

Aquaman 2 - 5/10

Sheesh. Pretty bad acting, mediocre plot. Rehashing that Manta-ray guy, better if they went with something new.

Momoa also sucked in the latest Fast & Furious. Much better for him to be a silent, bad guy type vs trying to be funny.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:56 PM   #7813
RainMaker
General Manager

Zone of Interest (4/10) - I get what they were doing with this movie (I think), but it's a real slow watch. Feels like it would have worked better as a short film. Has no business in Best Picture territory although should be up for awards in other categories like sound. I guess I left the movie not knowing whether I regret watching it or not. Interestig concept but overly pretentious.

Madame Web (1/10) - Maybe one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Somehow worse than Morbius. We left after about an hour because it was just really boring and didn't seem to be going anywhere. An impressive feat to make me not want to look at Sydney Sweeney. I have no clue how this movie got made or how they thought they could release it to the public.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 05:41 PM   #7814
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Zone of Interest (4/10) - I get what they were doing with this movie (I think), but it's a real slow watch. Feels like it would have worked better as a short film. Has no business in Best Picture territory although should be up for awards in other categories like sound. I guess I left the movie not knowing whether I regret watching it or not. Interestig concept but overly pretentious.

Dude, what?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM   #7815
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Madame Web (1/10) - Maybe one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Somehow worse than Morbius. We left after about an hour because it was just really boring and didn't seem to be going anywhere. An impressive feat to make me not want to look at Sydney Sweeney. I have no clue how this movie got made or how they thought they could release it to the public.

I've seen some stuff online with people asking how something could be so bad without being "bad-good". Additionally, I suspect part of the problem is that Dakota Johnson appears to have no on-screen charisma across any of the roles she's played, a trait she appears to share with other nepo babies like Bryce Dallas Howard, Colin Hanks, Scott Eastwood, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Kate Hudson, among others.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #7816
Edward64
Head Coach

The Hunger Games 2023 - 6.5/10

It was okay, not as good as Hunter Games #1 and #2. Probably on par with #3, one of those that doesn't need another movie in the series. Time to just let it fade into teenage legacy fandom.

Acts I and II were okay. It fell off at Act III.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:52 AM   #7817
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Paramount Sets Release Date for Liam Neeson's ‘Naked Gun' Reboot

First I heard of this. I just pray that OJ Simpson is a part of it.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:38 AM   #7818
korme
Go Reds

Finished my final Best Picture nominee this morning. Here's my final ranking of the 10 films.

Tier 1
1. Past Lives
2. Poor Things

Tier 2
3. Killers of the Flower Moon
4. The Zone of Interest
5. Maestro

Tier 3
6. Barbie
7. The Holdovers
8. Anatomy of a Fall
9. Oppenheimer

Tier 4
10. American Fiction

Very good year all around. Only one of these noms felt like 'homework' going into it but pleasantly surprised me.

Last edited by korme : 03-09-2024 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Flipped 4 & 5
Old 03-10-2024, 12:31 PM   #7819
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Finished my final Best Picture nominee this morning. Here's my final ranking of the 10 films.

Tier 1
1. Past Lives
2. Poor Things

Tier 2
3. Killers of the Flower Moon
4. The Zone of Interest
5. Maestro

Tier 3
6. Barbie
7. The Holdovers
8. Anatomy of a Fall
9. Oppenheimer

Tier 4
10. American Fiction

Very good year all around. Only one of these noms felt like 'homework' going into it but pleasantly surprised me.

We finished them all Friday. Our rankings would be different. I enjoyed Past Lives but Poor Things was a bit too weird. I did like Stone a lot. Killers of the Flower Moon was too long. Maestro and Zone of Interest were terrible. Barbie is what t is. I thought it was fabulous. The holdovers is probably my favorite. Acting was great and I loved the stories of the different players. Oppenheimer was excellent and probably worthy of the win. Love Murphy. Anatomy of a fall was just good. I loved American Fiction. Great blend of humor and serious content.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:33 PM   #7820
Edward64
Head Coach

Dune 2 - 8/10

A good-to-great movie. I'll be adding it to my 4k collection this BF.

I watched Dune but it is always hard to watch the betrayal (Red Wedding anyone?) and the fall. Dune 2 was more action oriented which I appreciated.

I look forward but also dread any sequels. I never liked Dune books #2 or #3, it got too philosophical thingy for me.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:27 PM   #7821
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Really enjoyed Dune 2. One hell of a movie from a craft perspective, and as someone who loved the book, it's always great to see it depicted on screen pretty much the way you imagined it (LOTR was the same for me).

I do worry about prequels or additional sequels. It's pretty tricky stuff to adapt, given all of the weird concepts and narration in the book that provides exposition that doesn't really translate to the screen. Villeneuve is categorically a great director and I worry that suits will look at what he was able to achieve and think that most anyone can do it, and that's just not going to be true.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:18 PM   #7822
Edward64
Head Coach

Ferrari - 7.5/10

I was surprised that I enjoyed the movie. I know I won’t be rewatching it every couple years but thinking about getting the 4k for the specials.

Adam Driver was pretty good. He can pull off less emotional characters but don’t think he is as adaptable to other roles.

I just wish I dont always first picture him as a the SW baddie with (seemingly) permed hair
Old 03-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #7823
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not a rating as I haven't watched anything, but I just read that filming is happening on a sequel to This is Spinal Tap. Reiner, Shearer, Guest, McKean, the whole 9 yards - with cameos from Elton John, Paul McCartney and others.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-15-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:15 PM   #7824
Edward64
Head Coach

I never made the connection. Nice, I like it when child actors turn out well. Doubly so when their kids turn out well.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-17-2024 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:47 AM   #7825
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I never made the connection. Nice, I like it when child actors turn out well. Doubly so when their kids turn out well.

You should find out how she got her middle name.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:18 AM   #7826
Edward64
Head Coach

Same with a co-worker. She had a very unusual name. She said it was name of hotel that she was conceived in.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:38 PM   #7827
GrantDawg

My Wife and I are on sort if a nostalgia kick, at least sort of. When we started talking about watching "Roadhouse" I learned that she had never seen it, which I felt was blasphemy. The I learned she had never seen "Footloose". Instead of just divorcing her, I decide to correct her short comings with love.
Footloose- 8.5/10 It still holds up well. It is definitely has to be watch as a period piece, but the story of narrow-minded people trying to stop free expression from others is a very current topic. One of the best soundtracks of all time.

Gross Pointe Blank- 9/10 One of my favorite movies of all time, with my favorite actor John Cusack. Having his sister as his assistant was perfect. Minnie Driver is also one of my biggest crushes. The movie is hilarious and fun, and the premise has been ripped off many times since.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2024, 07:45 PM   #7828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Same with a co-worker. She had a very unusual name. She said it was name of hotel that she was conceived in.

My wife had a cousin who did that.

Daughter was named for the city where she was conceived. (Savannah)

Her son was named for "the inspiration for his conception" (Bo ... as in Bo Duke)

Talk about TMI, sheesh lol
Old 03-24-2024, 07:05 AM   #7829
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Was her last name "Holiday Inn"?
Old 03-24-2024, 07:36 AM   #7830
Edward64
Head Coach

When I googled it, it was only a single hotel. A very quirky, unique name.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:29 PM   #7831
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Dune x/10

I can't honestly rate the one. I read the book. I saw the 80s movie. I saw/own the Sci Fi mini series. When I saw the new one it was like I was just waiting for the next book line and seeing how each adaption matched my imagination.

In the end I kind of found the first part mediocre. But I will say that I found the Sci Series Baron to be the best Baron.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:05 PM   #7832
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Gross Pointe Blank- 9/10 One of my favorite movies of all time, with my favorite actor John Cusack. Having his sister as his assistant was perfect. Minnie Driver is also one of my biggest crushes. The movie is hilarious and fun, and the premise has been ripped off many times since.

Saw it in the theater, liked it a lot, haven't rewatched, but I reckon I'm due.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:17 PM   #7833
GrantDawg

We did one more.

Youngblood: 6/10. Honestly, I love the movie, but even nostalgia covered glasses can't cover how corny and silly this classic 80's sports movie was. Still, young Rob Lowe and Patrick Swazye joined by a baby Keanu Reeves (with an over the top French-Canadian accent no less) makes it a fun watch.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 PM   #7834
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Youngblood is amazing
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:08 PM   #7835
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Youngblood is amazing

But how is the movie?
Old 03-24-2024, 09:50 PM   #7836
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
We did one more.

Youngblood: 6/10. Honestly, I love the movie, but even nostalgia covered glasses can't cover how corny and silly this classic 80's sports movie was. Still, young Rob Lowe and Patrick Swazye joined by a baby Keanu Reeves (with an over the top French-Canadian accent no less) makes it a fun watch.

Where did you watch it?
I went hunting for it a few months ago and couldn’t find it…
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:26 AM   #7837
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown View Post
Where did you watch it?
I went hunting for it a few months ago and couldn’t find it…
Friend had it.