Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Cost of Amazon Prime going up?

Amazon Prime Could See $20 To $40 Price Hike | TechCrunch

Last edited by Matthean : 01-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

I have to say it's still worth it at $100. Probably even $120. I just hope prices aren't going up for instant video crap because I could honestly care less about their offerings.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It indicated in the article that the price was rising due to the increased price of shipping. So it probably has little to nothing to do with instant video.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They really love to change the terms and conditions on Prime. I get the student discounted version but I dunno if I'd want to go $100 or $120 for it. The video is worth nothing to me. One day delivery prices keep changing as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Even at $120 it is so worth it to us. With all of the online Christmas shopping we do and the 4 kids birthdays along with the other miscellaneous purchases throughout the year it is really a no brainer.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My wife and I are both bad about ordering things as we want them, sometimes we've both ordered the same day but they come in different shipments. It's definitely worth the 100 to do it again.

My boardgames alone would be pricey to ship, so it's got great value to me. Plus, I do actually find a few streaming videos that are great for class.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

Probably still worth it, but I'm sure I'd be a more frugal shopper without it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Irrelevant Dude
n00b

I imagine there will be a huge run on Amazon Prime subscriptions now before the price increases. I still don't know if it is worth it for me even at $79, because I very rarely use anything other than Super Saver shipping.
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It's paid off pretty well for us as my wife routinely orders books and has especially been useful for Christmas shipping. We also have a Kindle and it's been invaluable to rent movies to entertain the kids on drives over to Charlotte. Going up to $100 does make it a rather steep proposition, though, especially since Amazon is collecting state sales taxes. Our membership renewed this month, however, so we have a year to see what happens.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Interesting as I remember reading an article a few months back arguing why Amazon should be dropping their price for Prime to achieve their quest for world domination. I'll have to go back and try to find it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
molson
General Manager

Apparently they lose a lot of money on the Prime service, but rely on the idea that people will spend more if they have it.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
Antmeister
Pro Starter

It has always been a sweet deal at $79 but I think I use it more than most here (or it appears that way). Buy some products online quite a bit from them and love the 2 day shipping. Also, since dumping cable years ago, I use the Instant Watch quite a bit. And lastly, I take advantage of the Amazon Kindle Lending Library. There have been quite a few tech and fictional books that I just borrow instead of owning (it allows you to borrow 1 book a month but you can check it out as long as you want). So overall it has saved me a lot of money over the course of a year.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFanCuddy View Post
I imagine there will be a huge run on Amazon Prime subscriptions now before the price increases. I still don't know if it is worth it for me even at $79, because I very rarely use anything other than Super Saver shipping.

Maybe that's the point? Get people signed up who had been on the fence and have them start using it more and realize the benefits. You don't hear very much about people who have signed up and quit because it wasn't worth it.

I know others shop on impulse but we use it for things we actually need so it's been a great value to us. If I were to just go on there and browse for a DVD to grab that I wouldn't otherwise buy, yeah I'd end up spending more in the long run. But the other day we needed new cat food bowls and I went on Amazon, spent less than I would have at Petco, and saved myself from going 30 blocks or two subway rides out of my way after work (both directions).
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

One fun thing about living in King fo Prussia, north of Philadelphia for a year was that Amazonn's free two-day shipping was one day shipping because of how close the shipping center was. That was awesome. Instant gratification.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

They better keep it reasonably cheap or simply put I'd cancel it and order most stuff from elsewhere, most places do free shipping now with reasonable promptness and I have to admit I tend to err to amazon presently simply because of Prime ...

(its kinda scary going through the back order list and seeing quite how much stuff I buy from there, especially impulse stuff)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
They better keep it reasonably cheap or simply put I'd cancel it and order most stuff from elsewhere, most places do free shipping now with reasonable promptness and I have to admit I tend to err to amazon presently simply because of Prime ...

(its kinda scary going through the back order list and seeing quite how much stuff I buy from there, especially impulse stuff)

Not saying this would happen with you, but I heard a lot of the same from local friends back when Amazon started being required to charge tax to ship to NY addresses.

Fast forward and we're all buying as much, if not more, from Amazon because price/service still doesn't get beat.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And that's the thing in the end. Amazon's price is usually far better than anyone else's. And with Prime, you can basically buy household items for cheaper at the store and get it in 2 days... you can't really replicate that.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #18
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

We dropped Prime this year as our orders fell off substantially.

What we founf shocked us. (Amazon built a fulfillment center in Spartanburg, SC a yar or so back) Even when we select the free shipping on orders over $25 (the basic shipping) we get 90% of our stuff next day.

In fact because Im anal about details.
38 orders.
33 next day
4 - 2 days1
1-13 days.

Wont be going back to prime here. Not worth it
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

$35 barrier on standard free shipping now, correct?

My issue originally was that I used to buy random crap I didn't need to get over that level, which was a huge waste of money. I'd be doing it even more to get over $35.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And that's the thing in the end. Amazon's price is usually far better than anyone else's. And with Prime, you can basically buy household items for cheaper at the store and get it in 2 days... you can't really replicate that.

My wife gets diapers, formula, other baby supplies, etc...has it all set up on auto ship so there is no hassle, it literally just shows up. Well worth the cost.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm still in at a $100 and more than likely a $120. I live 80 miles from any real shopping areas and more like a 3 hour drive to a major city (Des Moines or The Twin Cities) with the only major retailer within 20 miles a Walmart. So any shopping trip is going to take anywhere from $20 to $50 just in gas.

When you figure no sales tax, gas to drive 80 miles +, time to make shopping trips, and Amazon's (probably already) lower price or at least equal to anything I can find and I come out way ahead even at the new higher price.

I also use the Kindle library and watch some video through the Prime service.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

With Amazon Deal, HBO Finally Lets Shows Loose on the Net | Business | WIRED

All of the old HBO stuff is going up on prime.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

That's a big score for Amazon.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

old, yes. no new series, right? i know details havent been entirely released...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, nothing that is sold in syndication and nothing that is currently airing. Content looks to be at least 3 years old, although it may have all of Eastbound and Down(must watch) and that just recently ended.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Wow, you mean I can now watch Arli$$...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
molson
General Manager

I didn't think it would go up this fast but the HBO stuff is there now.

Amazon Posts First Wave of Streaming HBO Content - Television - Boston.com

Just under a month after Amazon Prime revealed it would begin streaming full seasons of HBO shows, the first wave has hit the virtual airwaves.

All seasons of shows like “The Sopranos,” “The Wire,” “Deadwood,” “Rome,” and “Six Feet Under” are now available, along with select seasons of current series “True Blood,” “Boardwalk Empire,” and “Treme.”
Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

What? No "Not Necessarily the News"?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #29
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Shameless plug here:

Amazon Prime is 1/2 off for college students. More info by clicking the link below (as well as netting me $10 if you sign up)!

Amazon Student
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #30
Scarecrow
College Prospect

The price increase just might be worth it now:

Amazon Prime Music

Last edited by Scarecrow : 06-12-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #31
whomario
Pro Starter

Is anyone really surprised here ? Most see-through strategy ever: Add more content, make it all-or-nothing in terms of using the features, raise price.

The student version here in germany does not include all features btw, dunno how it is in the US.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-12-2014 at 08:20 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
The price increase just might be worth it now:

Amazon Prime Music

The marketing/sales strategy of "value proposition" usually wins out in a non-terrible economy.

What better....
"We need to raise your price because shipping is expensive. Oh btw....here's a bunch of other services you may or may not want but we'll include them at no cost."

or....
"Since you enjoy shopping with us & getting 'free' 2 day shipping, you might be interested in our other a-la-carte offerings such as streaming video, music, and books at small incremental pricepoints."
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #33
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Prime was already worth it for me even at the raised price. I watch a ton of Prime videos so for me it's like Netflix with free shipping thrown in. But this music thing is nice too.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Prime was already worth it for me even at the raised price. I watch a ton of Prime videos so for me it's like Netflix with free shipping thrown in. But this music thing is nice too.

This. Prime was worth it for the free shipping alone at $99 a year. Add to that Prime videos, including "The Americans" and "Orphan Black", adding in older HBO shows, and NOW PrimeMusic, including stuff that I was looking at buying but hadn't, like HAIM's new album and older albums from LCD Soundsystem and Daft Punk. Awesome!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #35
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Not to mention that they recently added a bunch of HBO shows to their streaming service. I started rewatching The Sopranos. They also have The Wire, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, Oz, etc. A serious leg up versus Netflix as far as television shows goes.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 06-12-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Not to mention that they recently added a bunch of HBO shows to their streaming service. I started rewatching The Sopranos. They also have The Wire, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, Oz, etc. A serious leg up versus Netflix as far as television shows goes.

I personally don't see it as a competition. I use both and feel like each one offers some great stuff at a good price.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #37
mckerney
Coordinator

Amazon offers Prime members video credit for slower shipping - CNET
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

I saw this years ago. Maybe they were just testing it out in select situations, but I was given options for credits toward MP3s in the past.

For anyone who doesn't know, Amazon has a cool new thing called Amazon Smile.

http://smile.amazon.com/

Pick a charity (there are thousands) and they'll give 0.5% of the sale to it. I think you have to go through that smile.amazon.com link everytime you purchase though.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #39
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I saw this years ago. Maybe they were just testing it out in select situations, but I was given options for credits toward MP3s in the past.

For anyone who doesn't know, Amazon has a cool new thing called Amazon Smile.

http://smile.amazon.com/

Pick a charity (there are thousands) and they'll give 0.5% of the sale to it. I think you have to go through that smile.amazon.com link everytime you purchase though.

I would encourage you to support the Air Warrior Courage Foundation.

It's a charity sponsored by a group that I've been associated with for years. Here is the info on the group. Thanks

AWCF About Us

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #40
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think you have to go through that smile.amazon.com link everytime you purchase though.

Amazon tends to remind me that I'm not looking at the Smile version of the product and asks me if I want that instead.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #41
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Just used that last week when I ordered something that I didn't need right away.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone getting screwed on late deliveries lately? Supposed to get something today and it's looking like tomorrow. Also had stuff come late last week. May have been holiday confusing.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #43
frnk55
High School Varsity

The stuff I had come during December was on time.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #44
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyone getting screwed on late deliveries lately? Supposed to get something today and it's looking like tomorrow. Also had stuff come late last week. May have been holiday confusing.

We've had this a couple of times and have called each time. They usually tack on a free month of Prime for you.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #45
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I actually had something come 2 days early, ordered Sunday, arrived Monday instead of Wednesday. The original delivery vehicle broke down, so they defaulted to deliver it ASAP.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #46
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
We've had this a couple of times and have called each time. They usually tack on a free month of Prime for you.

+1

Definitely make sure you contact customer service (I usually just use the chat). They will give you a free month of prime added on if they miss a guaranteed delivery date. They will do it multiple times too.

Last edited by jaygr : 01-05-2015 at 07:36 PM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #47
Barkeep49
Coordinator

For cheaper bulkier items if you try to "return" it they will frequently tell you to keep it since the return shipping isn't justified.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #48
PilotMan
Head Coach

Amazon Prime on sale today only for $72.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/pipe...ansparentprime

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #49
Pyser
Pro Rookie

slickdeals says you can "gift" it to yourself to save $27 on the usual price:

1-Year Amazon Prime Membership $72 (New Members Only) 01-22-2015 - Slickdeals.net
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 AM   #50
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone noticed some minor issues with Prime lately? I mean it's still great but I've noticed a lot more orders that will give me a "Guaranteed Delivery Date" and end up being delayed for some reason. I think it had happened once over the first 5 years I had Prime but have had it happen 4-5 times in the past few months.