Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
dzilla77
High School Varsity

The Thread Where We Talk About Smokin' Dead Animals

I know that there's gotta be a few FOFC'ers that have a backyard smoker. Hopefully we can trades some recipes and techniques and talk about the various gadgets

I just bought a Weber Smoky Mountain (18.5") smoker Labor Day weekend. Smoked my first pork butt on Saturday.

It came out alright, but I learned a lot in the process.

I used hardwood charcoal (Green Egg stuff). There are a couple of issues with this as a fuel. First, its hickory and oak, so it will provide smoke and lots of it. If you want to add a more delicate smoke like applewood, the hickory and oak will overwhelm it. Second, I really struggled to maintain a consistent temperature with it. Granted I was only checking every so often - once per hour when I thought it was stable and every 10 minutes after I made an adjustment, but I would have thought I could have gotten more consistency.

I got a really good smoke ring (which you don't really see when the pork is pulled) and really good flavor. My bark was ok, but I think if I had used more rub, it would have been better.

I did lose my fire when my internal temp was about 190 and never got it back up that high, making the pork a little tougher to pull. The temp needs to get to 195 for a pork butt.

All in all it was good smoke. I made a bourbon BBQ sauce that was awesome, sweet and spicy at the same time. I can post the recipe is anyone wants its.

dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've got one of each type of the main variations of smokers. I have my propane grill, which can be set up as a smoker, an electric Masterbilt smoker, and a handmade double barrel smoker, built out of two 55 gallon drums.

For smoking, charcoal isn't really the best thing to use for a long smoke. As you found, it doesn't keep temperature very well. I use charcoal to get the fire started, then move to wood. The wood will burn a lot longer and provide a more even temp. If you don't have easy access to wood, there are options for using charcoal. There are some electrical units that you can use where you set a temp, and it runs a fan to get air forced into the coals to keep a certain temp.

Each of the three produces a slightly different product. If I have the time to mind a fire, I go the wood smoker route every time. The smoke generated by hot coals is different than the smoldering done by gas or electric. If I'm going to be busy, and do a set it and forget it, I use the electric smoker. Before I got the electric smoker, I'd use the propane for that task. Since I got the electric smoker, I use the propane strictly for grilling.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Would love your recipe for the bourbon BBQ sauce. I have my own that I've modified from the interwebz, but as much as I like it, I don't get the rave reviews from everyone else that I'd like.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I have a weber 22 inch. Like cartman, I use charcoal to get the fire started then strictly wood, either hickory or oak depending on what type of meat I'm smoking. I can pretty much set my weber and it will maintain temperature for 3-4 hours. Once you 'learn' your smoker and how to use the vents to control temp and get a little grease built up on it, you'll be able to do the same.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Here is the recipe I used. I prepared it the night before and it was better the next day. I actually doubled the chipotle powder and omitted the chile powder.

3 1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup Apple cider
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup bourbon whisky
2tbsp Dijon mustard
1Tbsp onion powder
1Tbsp garlic powder
1tsp course beyond black pepper
1/2tsp chipotle powder
1/2tsp Chile powder