Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #201
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Has does one judge any team in the first several weeks of a season if not based on either their current record (3-0) or their previous season? Watching their training camp? Recruiting rankings?

'Oregon handled Mich State last year...

Id argue there shouldn't be rankings this early, but if you are going to have them Id start with talent analyis and game management.

Toledo didnt beat the 13th best SEC team. Toledo beat the #11 team in the country. They have a Top 15 win. Of course they have to be ranked ahead of Mizzou who hasnt beaten a ranked opponent...Wait you dont think Ark was really #11...neither did anyone else but thats what they were ranked.

BTW, Vandy, SC and Auburn are all worse than Arky. I''d put Florida, Kentucky, Miss St, and Tenn as a pcik em against em...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa is 3-0 and have beaten 2 teams from power 5 conferences.

I would say they beat the teams you mentioned.

I am not unaware but beating Pitt by only three impressed me not one bit. Neither did their wins over the twin ISU's. I couldn't put them in front of Missouri at this point, so I omitted them from my list intentionally.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #203
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

BTW I got shit for asking about Syracuse HC Scott Shafer

You have a real hard-on for a coach on a team that has obviously struggled for a decade or more, only just coming back from the dead that last couple of years.

The Chips are a decent enough MAC team. The tough circumstances are that we were down to our 4th and 5th QBs on the season already, one of which is a walk on, and that kid somehow pulled out a win when everyone thought the game was a loss. A blantant cheap shot took our prized freshman QB out. Pretty gutty effort and they are 3-0 for the first time in 24 years. He was pretty pumped, as he should be. Reality sets in next week, but god forbid he should enjoy it, knowing he is coaching for his job.

Should I pull Dabo clips from his many USC defeats, or FSU, or how about that 70-30 loss in a BCS bowl, or the number of funny pics of Dabo I could google in 5 seconds? Glass houses and all, ya know?

Are you just still salty from Donny McNabb's beat down of Clemson in the Gator Bowl? 41-0?

I know Clemson is about as good as they historically can be, but they also have been as bad as Cuse recently was. The two teams are basically the same. About the same number of wins, both have a title, both have a Heisman and numerous NFL hall of famers. Well, maybe not Clemson on those last two.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #204
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Once again like I said in my previous post if you somehow claim to know why 2-1 teams and sometimes even 1-2 teams are better than 3-0 teams then you are spewing the same bullshit the voters are based on preconceived notions. I agree the polls at this time of year are pointless but if you are going to have them what a joke to say we they lost but they are still better than undefeated teams because of blah blah blah but I take issue with voters who are being completely objective as well.

I can eyetest 'em (and some I have), I can look at the numbers, I can take their performance vs my initial expectations & adjust accordingly.

It's an art, not a science. {shrug}

It does, however, help to not be under the influence of some mind-altering chemical the way quite a few voting members of the coaches' poll had to be this week.

Also, comes back to the never (afaik) definitively answered question about what the rankings are supposed to be -- quality of team, quality of season, some hybrid of the two, etc. I suppose, if we thought of it in terms of the playoff scenario, we might end up settling on something like "most deserving" ... and really, tbh, the only opinion that truly matters to me about that is my own. If I agree with the outcome then I'll likely say so. If I disagree with the outcome, I'll likely bitch about it.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #205
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
BTW I got shit for asking about Syracuse HC Scott Shafer

I want everyone to watch this please.
- Won a game we shouldnt have won...against Central Michigan
- Tough Environment out there today AT HOME IN THE CARRIER DOME
- WTF is up with the beach towel wiping the brow.
-3-0 Despite some reporters questions

Yeah, well, this is the same fan base that thought the first time that Clemson went into the Carrier Dome that the noise and the heat and humidity from the non A/C'd dome would bother them. A team from South Carolina that runs 2-a-days in August would be bothered by the humidity in the Carrier Dome. Some of them can be delusional at times.

But the only thing I can fault Shafer for here would be the "we're 3-0 despite some reporters' questions". Uh, yeah. As for the others, yeah they probably shouldn't have won that game with their 3rd string QB, and yeah, it probably was hot and humid in there with the outside weather being what it was, and yeah, if it was hot and humid that's why the beach towel.

That said, I think that 7-5 is probably the ceiling for a Scott Shafer-led Syracuse team. Not Syracuse as a program, but led by this guy it is.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #206
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
You have a real hard-on for a coach on a team that has obviously struggled for a decade or more, only just coming back from the dead that last couple of years.

The Chips are a decent enough MAC team. The tough circumstances are that we were down to our 4th and 5th QBs on the season already, one of which is a walk on, and that kid somehow pulled out a win when everyone thought the game was a loss. A blantant cheap shot took our prized freshman QB out. Pretty gutty effort and they are 3-0 for the first time in 24 years. He was pretty pumped, as he should be. Reality sets in next week, but god forbid he should enjoy it, knowing he is coaching for his job.

Should I pull Dabo clips from his many USC defeats, or FSU, or how about that 70-30 loss in a BCS bowl, or the number of funny pics of Dabo I could google in 5 seconds? Glass houses and all, ya know?

Are you just still salty from Donny McNabb's beat down of Clemson in the Gator Bowl? 41-0?

I know Clemson is about as good as they historically can be, but they also have been as bad as Cuse recently was. The two teams are basically the same. About the same number of wins, both have a title, both have a Heisman and numerous NFL hall of famers. Well, maybe not Clemson on those last two.

Man you are reading so much into my statements that isnt there.
Look I am a college football junkie.
An addict.

Do you know what i do every Sunday morning from about 4:30 - 8:00 AM?
I go to youtube and I watch every HC press conference fromt he day befores games that I can.

I can get every ACC and SEC team in every week. I take notes when I watch these things and keep them in a notebook.

Ok I am a football nerd. I admit it.

For one I hope Syracuse never fires the guy. I have woken folks up in my house laughing at his PCs multiple times. He is better than Eddie Murphy or Richard Prior for his comedy gold to me.

This has nothing to do with Clemson. Sure I played there 20 years ago. Sure I go to their games as a fan. This isnt a comparison thing. Its not you bad, me good.

Clemson coaches say some cringeworthy stuff at times as well. Hell every coach in America does...but none as consistently as SS. I mean really watch that PC... I think the dude may be on meth. It is irrational behavior.

I'm all for pumping up a team after a win regardless of opponent. I would have no problem with anything he said IN THE LOCKERROOM. But when you get on a podium and beat your chest about 3-0 and over coming adversity with wins over Wake Forest, Rhode Island, and CMU...I'm going to laugh at you.

Marrone had 8 win seasons in 2 of his last 3 years and 2 bowl wins.
Shafer won a bowl with Marrone's players and then went 3-9 and is likely on his way to a 7 loss season again.

Everyone with any football acumen around looks at Shafer and says "Over his head" He is by all accounts a great guy and a great human being..but he is over his head.

This isnt an attack at you, or Syracuse. It's just a laugh at the antics of one man. I'm not even going to respond to your attempt to steer it into a Clemson vs Syracuse argument....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote