Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #2051
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Arizona Cardinals acquire Matt Barkley from Philadelphia Eagles for conditional seventh-round pick

Umm at what point do we begin to look at USC quarterbacks like we look at QB's coached by Jeff Tedford not named Aaron Rodgers?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in him in that draft, but Philly got there first.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #2052
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thomas and Sims were both cut-unfair to Thomas especially-they knew he wasn't ready as a rookie, yet they had to start him. Hopefully he makes the practice squad
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #2053
Thomkal
Head Coach

Niners release Darnell Dockett-will the Cards sign him?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #2054
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I thought Thomas looked real good this preseason.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #2055
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Umm at what point do we begin to look at USC quarterbacks like we look at QB's coached by Jeff Tedford not named Aaron Rodgers?

Umm I was there a half-dozen years ago.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #2056
miami_fan
Coordinator

Washington Redskins to keep Robert Griffin III as backup QB

FOFC, let the position switch humor begin.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #2057
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #2058
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Going with two QB's? Not sure how smart that is when one is made out of glass.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #2059
bhlloy
Coordinator

Because Tebow isn't going to be sitting on his ass ready to be signed again if Bradford does go down? The chance of losing two quarterbacks in a single game is pretty miniscule, and a QB doesn't play special teams.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #2060
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Because Tebow isn't going to be sitting on his ass ready to be signed again if Bradford does go down? The chance of losing two quarterbacks in a single game is pretty miniscule, and a QB doesn't play special teams.

I tend to be cautious with the QB position. I would always carry three. If you get two hurt (or even one), you're left bringing in a guy off the street with limited exposure to your system that has been sitting for two, five, eight, twelve weeks.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #2061
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The Eagles should grab Kellen Moore.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #2062
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I tend to be cautious with the QB position. I would always carry three. If you get two hurt (or even one), you're left bringing in a guy off the street with limited exposure to your system that has been sitting for two, five, eight, twelve weeks.

If you're on your 3rd qb your season is probably over anyway.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #2063
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

We've seen a shift in the NFL now that the 3rd QB/46th-man rule is gone. Most teams will activate two quarterbacks for every game (maybe one or two teams goes with a third). Since practice-squad players can be signed by any other team, you can't store a good prospect outside the 53, so many teams will keep a quarterback inactive if they believe in him. But that's only a prospect. They'll still sign one of the backups out there if there's an injury.

The net result is there's a group of about 20 quarterbacks constantly available who can sort-of manage a game and maybe not kill your season. They're as good, or almost as good, as the quarterbacks who have backup jobs. These decisions aren't easy ones and I doubt coaches care enough to put a lot of time into them.

If you look at the career records of backup quarterbacks, it isn't pretty. Almost all are under .500. Every once in a while people get excited about one - call it the McCown factor - because they look great in the pre-season with the watered down playbooks and the constant flow of backup opponents. But you give the reins of your franchise to a McCown and you'll find out soon enough why they have a combined 18-41 career record.

The bottom line is that today's future quarterbacks are relatively recent draftees and are solidly on someone's 53. Will Garrett Grayson develop in New Orleans, or was his terrible pre-season what he is? Have the Vikings struck gold with undrafted rookie Taylor Heinicke?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #2064
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They probably just didn't want to have to guarantee money to Tebow by keeping him on the roster the first week. It becomes easier to slide guys to the PS as the season continues, so we could see Tebow resigned rather quickly if they actually like him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #2065
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow on the practice squad.

Kelly made it clear that they will sign a quarterback on the practice squad rather then the active roster. Don't players have to be cut first during preseason before they can be signed for practice squad?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #2066
stevew
Hall Of Famer

To clarify, if the eagles want to keep Tebow, they will slide a guy down to the practice squad after week 1. Tebow is likely ineligible for the practice squad
Old 09-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #2067
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

They have to be cut. But it's irrelevant since any team can sign another team's practice-squad play to the 53. You can't reliably use the practice squad to store talent.

From what Kelly said about Tebow, it isn't happening (and he would be ineligible for the practice squad - he'd have to be resigned at some point to the 53). It's interesting, having a player who belongs in the NFL somewhere, but there really isn't a position he can play at that level. He's unique for many reasons.

Since Sam Bradford and the Kelly system are an ACL waiting to happen, Kelly will probably keep a 3rd somewhere. Lots of releases this week - whether it's Christian Ponder or a prospect like Logan Thomas remains to be seen.

Last edited by Solecismic : 09-05-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #2068
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

what makes someone eligible for the practice squad and someone not.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #2069
JPhillips
General Manager

A player is eligible for the practice squad if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games. If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active game day roster for fewer than nine regular season games.

Each team will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

If a player has served two seasons on a practice squad, he is eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.

A player has served one season on the practice squad if he is on the practice squad for at least six (6) games
Old 09-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #2070
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

can someone put that in a flow chart for me?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #2071
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Christine Michael traded to dallas
Old 09-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #2072
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Thomas and Sims were both cut-unfair to Thomas especially-they knew he wasn't ready as a rookie, yet they had to start him. Hopefully he makes the practice squad

Thomas picked up off of waivers by Dolphins.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #2073
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Christine Michael traded to dallas

No the Cowboys don't miss Demarco Murray?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #2074
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Broncos waive running back Montee Ball | ProFootballTalk

I'd like to see Miami take a flyer on Ball.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #2075
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
No the Cowboys don't miss Demarco Murray?
Of course they were going to miss him. But even if you think Murray will stay healthy (and they did what they could to ensure he won't be), they couldn't afford his cap number with their cap situation.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #2076
bhlloy
Coordinator

Oof... not only is Tebow not on the Eagles roster, but they will carry three and think Steven Morris who couldn't make the practice squad in Jacksonville is the better option?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #2077
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Oof... not only is Tebow not on the Eagles roster, but they will carry three and think Steven Morris who couldn't make the practice squad in Jacksonville is the better option?

That should tell Tebow everything he needs to know about his future in the NFL.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #2078
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Broncos waive running back Montee Ball | ProFootballTalk

I'd like to see Miami take a flyer on Ball.

He got zero tread on his tires at this point thanks to Wisconsin running him into the ground. He recently (last week) told a local report that he regretted staying his senior year when he was given the ball a ton at Wisconsin. He was beaten out by a bunch of NDF and low draft picks and was the 5th back on the roster. Just doesn't have any burst nor vision .
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #2079
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
He got zero tread on his tires at this point thanks to Wisconsin running him into the ground. He recently (last week) told a local report that he regretted staying his senior year when he was given the ball a ton at Wisconsin. He was beaten out by a bunch of NDF and low draft picks and was the 5th back on the roster. Just doesn't have any burst nor vision .

He should have went to Mizzou.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #2080
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, Lamar Miller is an infinitely better back, not sure why he'd have a better shot at making the roster in Miami - they seem to like Williams and they just spent a pick on Ajayi as well
Old 09-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #2081
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Of course they were going to miss him. But even if you think Murray will stay healthy (and they did what they could to ensure he won't be), they couldn't afford his cap number with their cap situation.

They chose to put his cap dollars towards pass rush (biggest team weakness from last season) rather than pay what the Eagles did. The Eagles only offered 1-2M / season more than Dallas so it wasn't a cap issue.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 AM   #2082
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Some quarterback thoughts...

I find it fascinating that the only left-handed quarterback currently on an NFL roster is Michael Vick (Kellen Moore landed on Dallas' practice squad).

The only undrafted quarterback from the 2015 class to make a roster is from Old Dominion, yet every drafted quarterback did make a roster. I'm a little surprised undrafted Dylan Thompson, who was signed to San Francisco's practice squad, isn't getting a look somewhere.

Dallas' roster-bound quarterbacks attempted a grand total of 19 passes in the entire pre-season.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #2083
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kam Chancellor's holdout is pretty fascinating. Yeah he just signed a new deal, but I think showing up in week 10 is a solid move. Surprised they haven't traded him yet. I'm guessing he's worth, what, a 2nd and 4th?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #2084
Galaril
Pro Starter

This article states the obvious that Gronk making only $9 mill a year ver the next fou is likely not gonna cut it for his level of play. So the question will be not if he gets a new contract but how much more with top TEs getting $10 mill and top WR $18-19 mill. I would assume he is asking for 100 million deal over 5 years at least with at least 50 million guaranteed. It will be interesting to see if Pats tell him to take a walk or pay him. Based on the way it went down with Brady taking a pay cut and what happened letting Welker go though it was the right move I bet Gronk doesn't give a home town discount.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/trio-of...051507035.html
Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #2085
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I would say there is still a massive concern about him getting injured, which I believe significantly impacts his value. Especially in a long term bonus heavy deal.

It's great he played all last year. But prior to that it was worrying what a huge part of the offense he was, because he kept getting injured and the offense always collapsed when he wasn't on the field. I suspect if he got injured today their point production would halve.

And no, there isn't a chance in hell the Pats would give him even 30 million guaranteed. Even without the injury concerns. They'd let him walk.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-24-2015 at 02:50 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #2086
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I would say there is still a massive concern about him getting injured, which I believe significantly impacts his value. Especially in a long term bonus heavy deal.

It's great he played all last year. But prior to that it was worrying what a huge part of the offense he was, because he kept getting injured and the offense always collapsed when he wasn't on the field. I suspect if he got injured today their point production would halve.

And no, there isn't a chance in hell the Pats would give him even 30 million guaranteed. Even without the injury concerns. They'd let him walk.

I agree with hat too. I guess it is alot easy to let him walk with a trophy case full of Lombardi's for Kraft and fans.