And Shawn Green is a Met.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #152
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
And Shawn Green is a Met.

I like this move. Although Endy has been doing fine is the starting lineup I would much rather have him off the bench, hes a lefty and he's as clutch as anyone on the team. Actually now that I think of it, Chavez will still be playing since Floyd is out.

Green isn't what he used to be but he's still got some game left. Not all too thrilled with the fact that he's still under contract next yr for $9.5M, especially since Milledge will more than likely be the starter next yr, but I guess they had to do what they had to do.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #153
Logan
Head Coach

Think Az will be picking up some of next year's salary too...don't know that for sure yet.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #154
JS19
College Prospect

Whatever happened to Victor Diaz?? They announced he was designated in order to make room for Green. I know he's been in the minors, but IRC, last yr a lot of people were projecting him to be a potential 30 HR kind of guy. I think I even remember someone saying he could be a poor mans Manny Ramirez. I never really bought in to all that but he was making some pretty good progress last yr I think.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #155
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's a good move for the Mets and DBacks. Out of the $13+ million left on this season, next season and Green's $2 million buyout, AZ will be paying $6 million. So, the Mets will get Green next season for around $6 million. From the DBacks perspective, it allows us to get Quentin in the lineup everyday and potentially keep Gonzo for another year (at a reduced price). Plus, we have Scott Hairston and Chris Young waiting in the wings in AAA as well. Not to mention a guy who is going to be a stud (IMO) - Carlos Gonzalez in AA.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #156
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Dola, anyone know anything about this 23-year old lefty SP in AAA - Evan MacLane. He's had some nice numbers in the minors, but I don't know anything about him.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #157
Logan
Head Coach

From what I heard, he's a guy whose numbers suggest more than his talent level would expect. Not to say he can't keep it up, but he was never considered even a top 10 arm in the organization.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #158
JS19
College Prospect

Castro tore a ligament in his knee getting ready for a rehab assignment in Brooklyn. They said they don't know how long he will be out but you have to assume a torn knee ligament is pretty bad. Although I liked Castro a lot and what he did this yr, assuming he doesn't return, at this point in the season it's really not that big of a blow.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #159
JS19
College Prospect

It's unreal to think that Steve Trachsel will more than likely be tied for the league lead in wins tonight.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #160
JS19
College Prospect

ummmm.....is it time to worry yet?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #161
Logan
Head Coach

Bump for the new season.

And what happened to JS19? Frequent poster during the baseball season, and hasn't been here since 12/28.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #162
JS19
College Prospect

What's going on guys?? Haven't been around in a while but I thought I would catch up with you guys and see what your thoughts are with the Mets.

Disappointment sums it up for me so far. Stating the obvious, but the offense just isn't there. Beltran looks as if it's his first yr in NY again, Delagado shows signs of getting on track, then will make you wonder if it's too late. Wright has a good stat line, and I'm not trying to put him down, but he's def. not the Wright of the past 2 seasons and LoDuca has been struggling of late. I'm beginning to wonder if it's too late and what you see is what you get, or maybe when, or if, Alou comes back that will set the lineup right and get these guys back to where they belong.

What do you guys think of the team and what potential moves may happen come the trade deadline? I would like to see them get an impact arm or two for the bullpen. I would assume the offense is staying as is, unless they go for a corner OF'er, depending on Alou's status.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Beltran looks as if it's his first yr in NY again

Say what? Beltran had a 95 OPS+ in 2005. He has a 116 OPS+ this season. That's far, far better. He has the same number of HRs that he did in the entire 2005 season, almost the same SB with a much better SB%, his OBP is 11 points higher, his SLG is 53 points higher. No, it isn't like last year, but lets not try to revert to hyperbole here!

Quote:
Wright has a good stat line, and I'm not trying to put him down, but he's def. not the Wright of the past 2 seasons

What exactly does that mean? His OPS+ of 136 is EXACTLY the same as last year and only 2 points down from two years ago (the league OPS is lower this year than it has been the past two years). And yes, his RC/27 are down, but not horribly. I mean he's still over 7.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #164
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This Braves fan would like to thank the Mets for sucking for an extended period of time, thus missing an opportunity to open up a massive division lead while the Braves were playing like a Rookie League team.

Thanks!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #165
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
What's going on guys?? Haven't been around in a while but I thought I would catch up with you guys and see what your thoughts are with the Mets.

Disappointment sums it up for me so far. Stating the obvious, but the offense just isn't there. Beltran looks as if it's his first yr in NY again, Delagado shows signs of getting on track, then will make you wonder if it's too late. Wright has a good stat line, and I'm not trying to put him down, but he's def. not the Wright of the past 2 seasons and LoDuca has been struggling of late. I'm beginning to wonder if it's too late and what you see is what you get, or maybe when, or if, Alou comes back that will set the lineup right and get these guys back to where they belong.

What do you guys think of the team and what potential moves may happen come the trade deadline? I would like to see them get an impact arm or two for the bullpen. I would assume the offense is staying as is, unless they go for a corner OF'er, depending on Alou's status.

Well, Wright is playing far and away the best defense of his career and since May he's been hitting the best he's ever hit, so I dont' see any problems there.

Delgado has hit ok since a horrid april, but he's aging fast. Plate discipline has been non-existent and thats a sure sign of a player aging.

Rumor is that Beltran is hurt worse than he's letting on and I'm begining to believe it. He was hitting everything early in the year but has gone in the tank since.

The things that are killing the Mets are lack of production from BOTH corner OF spots, inconsistent bullpen, and bad starting pitching over the last month and a half.

Gomez was fun to watch, but he offered nothing in terms of production. Green hasn't done much of anything after a hot start. Its hard to rely on your offense when 2 premium hitting positions aren't producing at all.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #166
JS19
College Prospect

My comments on Wright and Beltran were coming from someone who watches the Mets on a regular basis, not one that just checks out their stats or sees them on ESPN.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wright, and he is having a very good season, but last yr when Wright came up and there were 2 outs, or if he had 2 strikes on him, and it was a clutch situation, you almost knew he was gonna make something happen. He was notorious for his ability to hit with 2 strikes and go the other way, especially with RISP. Not so much this yr.

And with Beltran, I didn't mean he was doing as poorly as he did his first yr with the Mets, it only seems that way because he's not doing what he did last yr, as of now.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #167
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Helms for Wright?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #168
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My comments on Wright and Beltran were coming from someone who watches the Mets on a regular basis, not one that just checks out their stats or sees them on ESPN.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wright, and he is having a very good season, but last yr when Wright came up and there were 2 outs, or if he had 2 strikes on him, and it was a clutch situation, you almost knew he was gonna make something happen. He was notorious for his ability to hit with 2 strikes and go the other way, especially with RISP. Not so much this yr.

Well, lets not rely on facts, but rather personal observations which cannot be proven. All this "clutch" talk sounds very Jeter-esque and all, but call me skeptical when, you know, the facts say something different. His RISP (and with 2 outs) are very similar to 2005. Now in 2006 he was far better, but that's just one year and who knows if that was a fluke or not.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #169
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

And with Beltran, I didn't mean he was doing as poorly as he did his first yr with the Mets, it only seems that way because he's not doing what he did last yr, as of now.

My appologies for giving my views as a Mets fan with the Extra Innings Package.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #170
TroyF
Coordinator

Not sure how many have noticed, but Matsui is having one hell of a year in CO. He's not an all star or anything, but he's hit well and given the Rockies some nice speed at the top of the order. It's one of the few "good" moves the Rockies have made in the last ten years.

I know he was horrific with the Mets. Maybe just a guy who had to come to a smaller market to succeed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #171
JS19
College Prospect

so pretty much they suck. even if they do make the playoffs, their pitching is laughable and can't hold up to a team like, lets say, the marlins.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #172
Logan
Head Coach

Please delete this thread.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #173
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #174
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Willie needs to be fired, period.

Someone explain to me how in the bottom of the 9th in a 7-6 game with runners on second and third and 1 out how you don't walk the batter to set up the double play/ force at any base.

The runner at first doesn't matter so why not put him on, horrible descion.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mets fans can relax. They've got one of the top 10 players of the last 50 years on their team.....they should be 20 games up on the phillies by now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #176
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well........................shit.

last season was heartbreaking.

this shit was just infuriating.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #177
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

*snicker*

Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #178
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There is no excuse for what happened.

The Mets need some bullpen help badly and a "stopper" in the starting rotation.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #179
dime
High School JV

That may have been the worst start that glavine has ever had...? Just a complete disaster, hard to recover from that shock first inning if you're the mets. Wow.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #180
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #181
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well this thread certainly started off well, with a number of Julio Franco posts on the first page.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #182
JS19
College Prospect

So what your thoughts on Randolph?? What it came down to was, if you cant pitch, you wont win...and the mets cant pitch. I'm in that boat where i wouldn't have a problem with him coming back next yr, but he would obviously need to win and maybe, just maybe, show some emotion. The Mets aren't the Yankees, and maybe thats what he was used to. These guys do their little dances and what have you, and actually look as if they enjoy playing the game and have some fun, whereas the Yankees don't crack a smile, give a high five and take a seat. Anywho, if everyone wants to blame Randolph, why not blame Omar for doing nothing with the pitching staff at the deadline?? I understand there wasn't much available and whatnot, and I actually like what Minaya has done with the team.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm on the fence with Willie.

But unless there is a better, proven candidate I say stick with him.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #184
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
There is no excuse for what happened.

The Mets need some bullpen help badly and a "stopper" in the starting rotation.

Not just a bullpen. They need some players with heart. Wright may be about the only one on the team. Over-Reyes sure as hell isn't it.

Jose...Jose...Jose.Jose.Jose...Jose....You Suck!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #185
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you don't belong here and are no longer welcome.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #186
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Damn, if I had a nickle for every time I heard that...

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #187
korme
Go Reds

Go Mets
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #188
korme
Go Reds

lol
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #189
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you don't belong here and are no longer welcome.

Said the playoffs to the Mets.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #190
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
These guys do their little dances and what have you, and actually look as if they enjoy playing the game and have some fun, whereas the Yankees don't crack a smile, give a high five and take a seat.

Not trying to threadjack here, but have you actually watched the Yankees this year? Since the infusion of the young guys, they have actually cracked a smile, and seem to enjoy themselves a lot more since earlier in the season. Shelly Duncan, Joba Chamberlain, Melky, and Cano have lifted the emotional level of the Yankees to a higher level.

As for the Mets, I did not see any of that emotion over the last few weeks. I'm a Yankee fan, but became intrigued by the Mets when it appeared that they were beginning to break down. Earlier in the season, the Mets were a fun team to watch because they enjoyed themselves. Jose was like the kid in little league enjoying his time. But when the pressure increased all of this disappeared. As others have said, the Mets don't have any heart. If the manager doesn't give it, I think it's up to the team to do it. No one on the Mets stepped up and took over.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #191
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Said the playoffs to the Mets.

That's actually pretty funny.

Jon. Yea, i watch the Yankees from time to time, and I agree with you %100 that they have a different type of attitude with the young guys around. I was referring to the yrs when Randolph was there and they had that "professional" feel about them.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #192
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

2008 edition. Hopefully we can put the misery of last years collapse behind us. Allthough I am sure we will hear about it until the all star break.

Obviously the edition of Santana is huge and Wright and Reyes will continue to get better. Hopefully Reyes shows more heart down the stretch. If Perez and Maine just repeat their performances from last year and Pedro stays relativly healthy we look good.

It would be nice to see somewhat of a bounceback for Delgado, Alou stay healthy and Castillo show some of his old speed but those are all long shots.

We did upgrade at both Right field and Catcher, 2 positions that were dead spots in the line up.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #193
Logan
Head Coach

Unfortunately, while RF and C have been upgraded, they're both still kinda dead spots (Church less than Schneider). LF, RF, and 1B could all be big problems.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #194
MikeVic
Head Coach

Did someone say 1B?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #195
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Unfortunately, while RF and C have been upgraded, they're both still kinda dead spots (Church less than Schneider). LF, RF, and 1B could all be big problems.

I like Church a lot in right. His defense and above average bat combine to make it a pretty significant upgrade over Green (though I'd still rather have Milledge). Schneider is that automatic out everyone had on their little league team. You just grabbed your glove and got ready to back to the field when he went up with 2 outs.

With Murton not making the Cubs 25 man roster, it would be smart for Omar to make a move to bring him in to hit lefties for Church and sub for Alou when needed.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #196
Logan
Head Coach

I'm willing to give Church some time to impress me. He's going to have to learn to hit lefties.

We need to add a right-handed bat that can play COF and also 1B.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 PM   #197
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

HR by Milledge today.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
HR by Milledge today.

has the potential to be another Kazmir incident
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #199
Logan
Head Coach

It doesn't matter...mostly because of Cliff Floyd, Milledge never stood a chance in NY. Better for him to get the hell out.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #200
RedKingGold
College Starter

I hope for a repeat of last year.