Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #401
JS19
College Prospect

So, any of you guys have a feeling the Mets are in the Peavy sweepstakes? I have heard absolutely nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling. He's been out there for a while, nobody seems to be jumping on it, and the Pads seem like they really wanna dump him. Not really sure what the Pads are looking for, or what the Mets really have to offer, besides Martinez, but Omar surprised us last yr and with Santana, and the Padres eagerness to deal him kinda gives me a feeling the Mets may come out of nowhere and grab him. Pretty much i'm just bored and haven't posted here in a while.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #402
Logan
Head Coach

I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I don't know if we have the horses for it.

In other news, it seems like we'll grab either K-Rod or Fuentes, and it will come down to who is willing to take less years. Then supposedly Omar is going to make a deal for Street now that he's in Colorado and Beane isn't holding him hostage, and then they'll go out and sign another pen guy to complete the transformation.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #403
Atocep
Coordinator

The Padres are asking for a boatload. The braves had 2 top 50 prospects plus 2 more solid prospects on the board and the Padres were asking for more.

Even with Martinez the Mets don't have enough to get a deal for Peavy done.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #404
JS19
College Prospect

Well, the season is fast approaching. Firstly, I'll get it out there that I'm pretty disappointed in the Mets offseason. Love the moves they made in the pen, but I feel they didn't address other issues. I feel they are putting too much faith in Murphy (I loved him last yr and actually think he'll be a pretty productive guy), Castillo getting healthy and performing (Understand they are stuck with his contract) and C, I'm not sold on a Schneider/Castro combo. Pretty much I'm still bitter they didn't go after Manny, as I've stated before. I get he would have cost, well, 45M for 2 yrs, but man, that sure would have made them the favorites, IMO.

Anyhoo, my question for you guys is, how do you feel about this Reyes in the 3 hole idea? At first I was like "No way, can't take a guy that explosive out of the most important spot, IMO, in the order", but then I read this articel, Why Jose Reyes Should Hit Third for the Mets | Bleacher Report, and found it pretty convincing. He pretty much leads the Mets in hits every yr, probably has 25+ HR potential, and although it has improved, is still a free swinger and doesn't really have the OBP you want out of a leadoff guy. Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #405
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I admitidely have not read the article but I hate the idea far these reasons.

1. Reyes changes the game when he gets on base, the more AB's he gets the better off the Mets are, especialy early in games if he can get them a lead.

2. No point in him hitting 3rd if there is no one on base in front of him

3. Reyes may have 25 HR potential, but at what cost? His BA and OBP will go down and he will get on base less.

4. If it's not broke don't fix it. Reyes and the offense wasn't the problem last year, it was the pen.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #406
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola- I can live without getting Manny. Again, the offense wasn't the problem last year and he is a total black hole in left field. At this point in his career Manny should be a DH
Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #407
JS19
College Prospect

Good points, Lathum. I agree with you, offense wasn't the problem, and as you said "if it's not broke, don't fix it", It's probably not the smartest idea to take a guy like Reyes, who makes so many things happen and changes the game, from the leadoff spot. Just for debate, but lets say Castillo has a phenomenal spring and looks like a legit option at leadoff, would you then think it's a good idea for Reyes in the 3 hole, or is he too important leading off?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #408
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Dola- I can live without getting Manny. Again, the offense wasn't the problem last year and he is a total black hole in left field. At this point in his career Manny should be a DH

I hear ya on that, but the guy can hit. Having Beltran would help alleviate some Manny's poor D. I just need to get over the fact they didnt go after him, just thinking of a lineup that has Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright, and Ramirez, throw in a healthy Church and hopefully productive Murphy, and the additions to the pen, man, would have been pretty intense.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #409
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think if they don't have 10 million in dead money on Wagner they maybe go for him, but they aren't the Yankees and have some budget constraints.

As for Castillo I still dont do it, bat him in the 2 hole then, and have 2 guys who can get on base in front of Wright and Beltran.

I just think hitting Reyes 3rd changes his whole game.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-05-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #410
Logan
Head Coach

I'm with Lathum...when Reyes is on (aka when he gives McCarver wood), he's one of the best hitters in the game. But there are still plenty of stretches through the season where he gets too power-happy...trying to hit HRs, trying to pull the ball...and he gets into those funks. My worry is that hitting him in the 3 spot will make him think more along those lines which will extend the bad stretches.

I'm worried about the offense because outside of Wright, Reyes, and Beltran, there are legitimate question marks at each spot. You shouldn't be able to say that a team with this kind of payroll has questions at 5 of 8 positions.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #411
Ramzavail
College Starter

Plenty of stretches where he pops too many balls up. That just makes me want to kick my TV in.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 03-05-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #412
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

As for Castillo I still dont do it, bat him in the 2 hole then, and have 2 guys who can get on base in front of Wright and Reyes.

should read Wright and Beltran
Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #413
SFL Cat
College Starter

I miss football season.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #414
Captain2711
High School JV

Was at Citi Field yesterday for the St. John's- Georgetown college baseball game and really enjoyed myself, in spite of the weather. The sight lines were all good and upper deck seats were much closer to the field than Shea. It was extremely loud with the music but I think and hope they were just tweaking it. But then again you couldn't here anything in the upper corners at Shea. It was a little hard finding my way around. The stairs and escalators were not as visible as in Shea. The food looked good, but there was a limited menu and most speciality items were not available. The Citi Field employees were really friendly. The Rotunda dedicated to Jackie Robinson was very classy, but expected a little more. Almost everything was accessible for fans, including the high class lounges you can only get in with the expensive seats. It reminds me a lot of Citizens Bank Park in Philly. From what I hear, its more of a ballpark than Yankee Stadium which is supposed to be more of a luxury box than a place to watch a game. All in all, a great place to watch a game. Looking forward to a new year and new memories.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #415
Captain2711
High School JV

Johan to Putz to Frankie. Let's hope they can finish today and all season
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #416
JS19
College Prospect

anyone know what this nonsense is all about??..."due to mlb restrictions, SNY is not permitted to show the mets @ marlins game until 7:05PM"
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #417
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
anyone know what this nonsense is all about??..."due to mlb restrictions, SNY is not permitted to show the mets @ marlins game until 7:05PM"

It's because FOX owns the exclusive Saturday broadcast rights from 4-7. Most teams on the east coast start their games at 7:00 for obvious reasons, but the Marlins are idiots.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

They moved the game up to accommodate the Flo Rida concert that's going on after, so it doesn't run too late.

Seriously.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #419
JS19
College Prospect

never heard of that before, seems unreal that the team's own network can't broadcast the beginning of their own game...

well, I just returned from Citi Field. My unit (Marine Corps) was fortunate enough to have volunteers, which I jumped right on, to participate in the opening day flag ceremony, so we had a rehearsal deal today. I must say this place is beautiful. Any of you guys/gals who live in the in the area, or visit NY, definitely need to make it out to a game. We had a lot of down time, so a buddy and I roamed around the stadium and checked a few things out, trying to stay out of trouble. I've never been one to spend any time during a game in the restaurant areas, but than again I've only been to Shea and Yankee Stadium, so it's not as if I had those options, but they have some awesome places to grab a bite. We were able to convince a security guy to let us in the rotunda. It was pretty cool, nothing overwhelming, but definitely a nice welcome area when entering the stadium. The seating arrangements are phenomenal, didn't make my way to the upperdeck, but all the seats are much closer to the field, and they all point towards homeplate and have a great view. Something I found pretty funny, as we were wandering around the tunnels, we came across a room with a nameplate that said "Mr. Met". Found it pretty funny that Mr. Met has his own dressing room. Something I found a bit odd, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to understand how it can be utilized, but the old apple is located through the bullpen gate directly behind the bullpens, so I'm not sure how it can be seen and whatnot to the fans. Thought it was a bit strange that they would bring it over and just stick it back there. Anyhoo, this place is absolutely awesome, and if you get a chance to catch a game you should jump right on it.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #420
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Does the apple still rise up after a homerun maybe?
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #421
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Does the apple still rise up after a homerun maybe?

I believe it does.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #422
JS19
College Prospect

It does, but it's a new apple.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #423
Ramzavail
College Starter

I agree, it is beautiful, I went for one of the exhibition games and I have seasons tickets in which I am going tomorrow to. Can't wait.

I think the best part of the new stadium is the fact you can walk around the entire stadium all while watching the game.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #424
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

CAN SOMEBODY IN LEFT FIELD PLEASE CATCH THE GOD DAMN BALL!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #425
JS19
College Prospect

haha, as soon as I saw him get under that ball I said to myself "I bet he pulls a Murphy"....sure as shit, he did.

Nice shot by Santos just now, making a real bid to stay here when Schneider gets off the DL.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #426
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, and just as good to see Maine get a lead then have a quick inning.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #427
Ramzavail
College Starter

if anybody wants to buy tickets for under face value, let me know, my seats are in section 319 under the SNY booth.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #428
Logan
Head Coach

How many do you have?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #429
Ramzavail
College Starter

4 and parking pass and access to the Acela restaurant (the nice one in left field with the glass)

Edit: But I can sell them in bundles of two. We have two season ticket accounts - one has two tickets and one has two tickets and the parking pass.

They are really nice seats, behind home plate. Face value ranges from $210 to $90.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 04-29-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #430
Logan
Head Coach

Will keep you in mind, thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
if anybody wants to buy tickets for under face value, let me know, my seats are in section 319 under the SNY booth.

I may hit you up if I make a trip home at some point
Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #432
Ramzavail
College Starter

sure let me know - I have 40 games.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #433
Ramzavail
College Starter

I mean there's nothing like pulling your bullpen catcher in the 9th inning with 2 outs down a run to pinch hit cold, is there? Can't wait to see him running from the bullpen to pinch hit on TV.

Ramon Castro ego is about [ ] this big right now.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 04-29-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #434
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The pen fucks Johan again.

Other then Putz I put this loss on David Wright and Jerry Manual, mostly on Manual.

Wright is struggling so bad right now. I know historacly he is an excellent 2 strike hitter, but I don't ever recall him being behind in the count so much. In the 9th with runners on first and second why isn't Wright sacraficing the runners over so Church can bat with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. Just poor managing there. I understand you don't want to take the bat out of the hands of a guy who has consistantly been an RBI guy, but you have to try and win, if you can score a run with an out there you do it.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #435
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

can a Mets pitcher throw a god damn strike. If this doesn't get better soon the need to fire Warthens ass.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #436
Logan
Head Coach

Maine's bounced back nicely.

Two 2-run HRs this inning for Beltran and Wright. That's two big rips from Wright in his last 2 ABs. Let's be optimistic.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #437
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, Maine has bounced back and I hope Wright is coming out of it.

Lets hope Maine gets it done in the bottom half.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #438
JS19
College Prospect

Nice bounce back by Maine, but seriously, these guys need to stop walking guys. That's Maines MO, he just can't get deep in games.

As expected, Perez is heading to the bullpen. I was a fan of his and was glad they brought him back, but somebody needs to figure out what the hell is going on in that head of his, bc he has the stuff to be a good pitcher. I've been hearing a lot of criticism about this whole mysterious knee injury, but I believe him. His velocity is down, and I know he's always been an erratic pitcher, but never this bad. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #439
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

2 absolute bombs from Beltran.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #441
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Carlos Delgado don't catch the ball good.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #442
JS19
College Prospect

wow, i actually can't believe they won that game. I don't know if that's encouraging, considering last yr a game like this they definitely would have totally folded and lost, or disgusting considering Castillo and Delgado's errors.

Oh yea, and the fact that they can't hit for shit when it counts. Their overall team BA is so misleading.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, I was sure they were gonna fold.

I heard on the game today their team BA is like, .186 with the bases loaded.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #444
Ramzavail
College Starter

I thought they were going to lose too.

I'm going tonight, Santana to keep the streak going.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Johan will pitch the first no no in Mets history this year.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #446
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

obviously just not today
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #447
JS19
College Prospect

haha, i was thinking the same thing myself.

are these guys serious, though. i know it's only the 3rd, but Park is totally dominating them.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

can someone tell me when Manuel is going to stop being so loyal to Wright and have him bunt when it is obviously the correct move?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #449
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
can someone tell me when Manuel is going to stop being so loyal to Wright and have him bunt when it is obviously the correct move?

I don't care how bad of a slump Wright is in if Jerry Manuel ever has david wright sacrifice bunt I'll hunt him down and beat the living hell out of him.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #450
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't care how bad of a slump Wright is in if Jerry Manuel every has david wright sacrifice bunt I'll hunt him down and beat the living hell out of him.

I think you meant to say ever.

IMO it is more important to win and tie the game then stroke Wrights ego.