Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #101
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Dude, no offense, but unless you're telling me you were an avid Pac 12 watcher during that time and still hold to this opinion, I'm kinda putting your take aside.

Before Harbaugh was hired, Stanford was putrid. Just terrible. They were beyond doormats. Harbaugh not only changed the kids in that program, he changed the program itself and the whole culture. That wasn't Luck. Luck was just a part of the scene; a key part, yes, but that was Harbaugh's program, through and through.

Harbaugh was so good at Stanford that an, IMO, pedestrian carry over coach in David Shaw has managed to keep that program going good by driving it on cruise control, and it has been what 4-5 years now? Crazy.

They weren't putrid. I've seen putrid. Rutgers from 1996 to 2002 was putrid. Duke from the time Steve Spurrier left to the time Cutcliffe got there was terrible. Stanford was a 4 and 5 win team who played a lot of close games against really tough schedules. Walt Harris' first year they were 4-4 in conference and they lost in OT to UCLA's 10 win team and lost to a BCS bound Notre Dame team on a last second TD.

My main point is that Harbaugh doesn't walk on water. He may get Michigan back to the New Year's Day bowls but it's not going to be with Jake Rudock or Shane Morris at QB. Michigan fans should be happy if they win 6 games this year.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #102
General Mike
Pro Starter

Dola,

ABC News in NY reported that Rutgers cancelled it's game tomorrow.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #103
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
My main point is that Harbaugh doesn't walk on water. He may get Michigan back to the New Year's Day bowls but it's not going to be with Jake Rudock or Shane Morris at QB. Michigan fans should be happy if they win 6 games this year.
Sure, but other than the most delusional fans who's arguing against that? Utah was favored by 5 last night, and won by 7. Most people have them finishing the regular season within a game of .500. Doesn't seem like there was a lot of irrational optimism.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Yeah, not sure who's really arguing that.

I think it comes down to semantics. Earlier, you were acting like Harbaugh was gifted Luck and based his whole career on that. You went far further into hyperbole in a pessimistic way than any of us in a positive way.

Keep in mind, too, the people defending Harbaugh are people who had every reason to dislike him--a UCLA fan, a UDub fan and a Notre Dame fan.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-04-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #105
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I know we are going to beat SEMO.. but I'm soooo pumped to see Mizzou football again!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #106
molson
General Manager

Small potatoes on the national scene of course, but Syracuse QB Terrel Hunt already left the field on crutches after missing most of last year with an injury to the same leg. At this level of team mediocrity, there can be a big drop down from your senior starting QB to this skinny true Freshman fella they have out there now.

Last edited by molson : 09-04-2015 at 06:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #107
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This Baylor-SMU game has the makings of a 80-78 final score. It is already 28-21 with 9 minutes to go until halftime.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #108
tarcone
Coordinator

Maybe 80-21.

Baylor runs away. Their freshman stud QB just threw a 30 yard TD strike.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #109
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

So... the Golden Flashes had their season opener postponed by a seemingly endless lightning storm... could Kent State be more powerful than anyone thought possible?

Rutgers isn't going to forfeit a game to a FCS school over some suspensions. But all those players are probably done.

Michigan will be better than 6-6, but is not a contender in a division that includes MSU and OSU.

Let's hope it was nerves with Rudock. One thing I hadn't thought about before today... Shane Morris is a lefty. As far as the NFL goes, Tim Tebow is in the top ten, all-time, in career passing yardage for a left-hander. Apparently, a lot of coaches hate lefty quarterbacks because it forces them to reverse all their plays and a lot of wide receivers can't handle Aussie spin.

Interesting anecdote - Steve Young almost moved to safety while he was at BYU because offensive coordinator Doug Scovil didn't want to mess with his playbook. Scovil left to be head coach at San Diego State a few months later, and Young got his chance.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #110
tarcone
Coordinator

I hate tell you this about Rudock, but what you saw is what he is. I doubt it was nerves. He started at Iowa for 2 years. He is a 5th year senior. He is a med student.
He may not throw that many picks in a game again. Maybe. But you better get your run game going if he is going to be effective. He needs lots of 3rd and 3s. He is a check down guy. if he sees someone near his primary he immediately looks for the outlet.

Good luck with Rudock. Great kid. Not a great QB.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #111
TroyF
Coordinator

With the start of this college football season, let me just wish good will on one player in particular. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi.

The most gut wrenching sports play I have ever seen happened last year when he broke his leg and fumbled at the 1 inch line as they were on the way to beating Auburn. Wish the guy nothing but the best. I hope he has an injury free, first team SEC season.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #112
MrBug708
Head Coach

What's with the SEC teams starting mediocre transfer QB's?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What's with the SEC teams starting mediocre transfer QB's?

There's only so many bodies to go 'round. And not every high profile recruit pans out, sometimes that leads to ... complications.

If not for the kid from UVA, Georgia might very well have been starting a walk-on today (he's still locked in a battle for the #2 job)
Old 09-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #114
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well tarcone must be pleased so far.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #115
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Small potatoes on the national scene of course, but Syracuse QB Terrel Hunt already left the field on crutches after missing most of last year with an injury to the same leg. At this level of team mediocrity, there can be a big drop down from your senior starting QB to this skinny true Freshman fella they have out there now.

Dungey looked pretty good out there. I really feel for Hunt especially with his whole back story, but I think Cuse will be better with Dungey out there this year and the experience can only help immensely for the coming seasons. We had a bunch of frosh and sophs who looked really good. ACC speed and talent in those two classes for sure.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #116
Galaril
Pro Starter

In the Tennessee -bowling Green game Tenn is up 21-10 and BG has it 4 and 3 at their own 12 in the second quarter and they went for it. What was even more incredible is they made it on a 25 yard run. Wow. Don't think I have ever seen that before.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

First half of his first game, but Chosen Rosen looks pretty good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #118
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Southern Illinois has almost 400 yards and 31 points on Indiana at halftime. I think they can kiss their bowl hopes goodbye.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
First half of his first game, but Chosen Rosen looks pretty good.

28-35, 351 yd, 3 TD

Really strong start. Made some brave throws. And his second TD to Duarte had some amazing touch.

Saying he's the new Manning is crazy, but the kid's good.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #120
MrBug708
Head Coach

Josh Rosen!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #121
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Wow. Atrocious clock management by Bobby Petrino. Cost them any chance of a comeback.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #122
bhlloy
Coordinator

There goes talk of Hackenburg being a first round NFL pick. Holds the ball way too long and even though the o-line didn't help, he made Temple looks like the 1981 Jets.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #123
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Wow. Atrocious clock management by Bobby Petrino. Cost them any chance of a comeback.

I somehow missed this when flipping. What happened or do you have a clip?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #124
TroyF
Coordinator

BYU wins on a hail mary over Nebraska. With the play, comes one of my biggest beefs in all of sports:

Why in the hell does pass interference not count on a hail mary play? Can we just put this in the rules so there is no confusion anymore? The BYU player had 2 Nebraska players on his back before the ball got there and had the pass been incomplete, there would have been no call. That would have been the end of the game.
So strange.

The new QB for Louisville looks amazing. Arkansas, Tennessee and UCLA all impressed me this afternoon.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #125
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I somehow missed this when flipping. What happened or do you have a clip?

Penalty called with 53 seconds left. Louisville had one time out and the penalty set up a 3rd down situation. They did not need to call a TO to stop the clock, it was going to stay stopped. instead Louisville calls a TO allowing Auburn to run the clock down to 3 seconds before the 4th down play. Auburn throws a bomb that never had a chance to be complete to wipe out the clock. Ballgame.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #126
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Penalty called with 53 seconds left. Louisville had one time out and the penalty set up a 3rd down situation. They did not need to call a TO to stop the clock, it was going to stay stopped. instead Louisville calls a TO allowing Auburn to run the clock down to 3 seconds before the 4th down play. Auburn throws a bomb that never had a chance to be complete to wipe out the clock. Ballgame.

Thanks. I saw a Louisville blogger on Twitter say that Petrino was told by the ref that the clock would have started after the penalty.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Drew Lock looks to be the real deal.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #128
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Drew Lock looks to be the real deal.

He did look pretty polished but don't forget it is SEMO. Unsure where I stand on this QB situation. Mauk looks completely lost sometimes but it's hard to argue with how he performs at the end of games and his W/L record. Not sure if creating a controversy by burning Locks redshirt will motivate Mauk or make him more nervous because we know Pinkel is loyal to a fault to his guys.

Last edited by panerd : 09-05-2015 at 08:19 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #129
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Thanks. I saw a Louisville blogger on Twitter say that Petrino was told by the ref that the clock would have started after the penalty.

I swear I saw him say, "I fucked up" over the headset.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #130
JPhillips
General Manager

My kicker sucks more than your kicker!
Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #131
miami_fan
Coordinator

WTF is up with that play calling by Kevin Sumlin? The young QB has been out running ASU's defense most of the night and he runs three dive plays.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #132
Easy Mac

Probably have run out of time, but at least Furman have made it interesting. Down 3 with 1 minute left to future FBS school Coastal Carolina.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #133
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Does MJ4H still come around? 'cause Arkansas hopefully won't cover the 33 point spread against UTEP when we meet. Yeah, I said it!

Haven't seen him around but I'm a Razorback fan. It went as expected and we covered the spread.

We kept our QB in longer than I thought necessary. Our defense didn't look as impressive as late last season. Looking forward to this season.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Arkansas, Tennessee and UCLA all impressed me this afternoon.

Huh (on the bold)?

If that's how the defense plays, that team will need a miracle to win 7 games. Nice work by the offense at least numerically but still no pass defense.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #135
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

What is the opinion of Schaeffer among the fans?
I love his interviews. I make it a point to track down his pressers everyw eek and watch them. Id hate him to leave for this reason alone, that said he seems so far over his head it isnt funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This Baylor-SMU game has the makings of a 80-78 final score. It is already 28-21 with 9 minutes to go until halftime.

Chad Morris will make SMU relevant again, it will take him a couple years. But they hung tough with his first teamers who were mostly freshman he just signed. Once depth started playing a roll Baylor pulled away. But give my buddy Chad a few years and watch out.

Quote:
The new QB for Louisville looks amazing. Arkansas, Tennessee and UCLA all impressed me this afternoon.

You dont REALLY believe the bolded do you?
If that was impressive Im not sure what they could have done to be unimpressive.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #136
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ha..didnt see Jon's post or style before I posted, I swear.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #137
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa beat up on Illinois St. Today. Jumped out 31-0. Then cruised to a 31-14 win.

1st couple drives were awesome. Then they couldn't do anything for 2 quarters. Then moved it again.

I really like our offensive backfield.

I have just become optimistic.

Go Hawks!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #138
Galaril
Pro Starter

Norte Dame with an impressive dismantling of Texas for what that is worth.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #139
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

ND was very impressive in nearly ever phase.

As a kid who grew up in a Catholic Boarding school ran by a priest who graduated from ND who dreamed of playing for the Irish, who morphed into an adult who doesnt really like the Irish at all I am really looking forward to seeing them play (for the first time live) when they visit Clemson in a few weeks.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #140
JPhillips
General Manager

CU: Do you know the story on Da'Qwan Bowers being released? Is it just the knees or is there more to it?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #141
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Huh (on the bold)?

If that's how the defense plays, that team will need a miracle to win 7 games. Nice work by the offense at least numerically but still no pass defense.

I was flipping through the games and didn't realize they gave up as many yards as they did. they seemed good on third downs to me (and when I looked it up they allowed only 4-18) Offense looked cool and efficient.

I don't think they are beating Alabama or anything, but when I watched, I thought they looked good. go figure .. .
Old 09-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was flipping through the games and didn't realize they gave up as many yards as they did. they seemed good on third downs to me (and when I looked it up they allowed only 4-18) Offense looked cool and efficient.

I don't think they are beating Alabama or anything, but when I watched, I thought they looked good. go figure .. .

This team was in such a hole, even just in terms of talent on campus, when Jones arrived. 15 true freshmen played today (23 played last year in the opener). It's a process, I get that, and the situation was pretty effin' dire but there's reasons that they weren't in my Top 25 this week, and reasons I've pretty much laughed at those who put them in a division title conversation this preseason. Today pretty much validated my feelings on those subjects.

COULD they end up in my Top 25, even sooner rather than later? Yeah, but that says more about the lack of top notch teams in CFB today than about UT. I can't see them even sniffing a division title even if they were on paper a "top 25 team"
Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #143
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's so good to see USC football again.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 AM   #144
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
What is the opinion of Schaeffer among the fans?
I love his interviews. I make it a point to track down his pressers everyw eek and watch them. Id hate him to leave for this reason alone, that said he seems so far over his head it isnt funny.

We (I) like him. He has a little to learn being that this is his first head coaching gig. He has the potential to be a good coach and wasn't afraid to make some pretty drastic changes in his staff to get things right. Clemson fans are a little salty about him cause he F-bombed that douche of a coach you have.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #145
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC has 3 freshman running backs that are very talented. They all look good tonight.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #146
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina started their last FCS season with a win over Furman 38-35. The last three games with Furman have either gone into OT or been close, so I'm not too worried that this was close.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #147
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
CU: Do you know the story on Da'Qwan Bowers being released? Is it just the knees or is there more to it?

I havent talked to DB in probably 2 years so take this with a grain on salt.

That said he fell in the draft partially because of the knee and partially because he has never loved football. He wasnt forced to play by a parent or anything, he just never lived for it. He was always much more interested in his music and ministry work, even as a high schooler. His father passed away the summer before his last year at Clemson and that was his motivation to fully dedicate himself temporarily, NFL was his fathers biggest dream and told him often that the NFL could change his life, his family's life and allow him to do a lot of charitable work with the proceeds if that was his calling.

I know during the draft process he told one GM he hopes to play 5 years and then retire with his health and wealth and play music with his church group.

Again zero inside info here, but not the least bit surprising either.

I'll be interested to see if he ever tries catch on with another team.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #148
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
He did look pretty polished but don't forget it is SEMO. Unsure where I stand on this QB situation. Mauk looks completely lost sometimes but it's hard to argue with how he performs at the end of games and his W/L record. Not sure if creating a controversy by burning Locks redshirt will motivate Mauk or make him more nervous because we know Pinkel is loyal to a fault to his guys.

I'm mostly talking about his calmness and ability to get out of the pocket and find the receiver. His passes are also just spot on. I'm not sure he can scramble like Mauk.. but the kid really impresses me with his accurate passes.

I'm hoping this receiver core can develop more and more each game.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #149
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
We (I) like him. He has a little to learn being that this is his first head coaching gig. He has the potential to be a good coach and wasn't afraid to make some pretty drastic changes in his staff to get things right. Clemson fans are a little salty about him cause he F-bombed that douche of a coach you have.

Wow. If that is how you think I feel about him or why you are wrong. Heck Dabo doesnt care about the F-Bomb he and Kathleen went on a short vacation this February with Scott and his wife so there is obviously no hard feelings there.

The question was more about winning a bowl game his first season then going 3-9 last year and then his press conferences are great.

Not sur eI understand the douche comment in regards to Dabo either but not sure it is worth getting into either.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #150
lungs
Pro Rookie

Alabama took Wisconsin to the woodshed but there were some positives to take away for a Badger fan. Joel Stave didn't look half bad.

Not sure anybody will challenge Wisconsin in the West for the right to get trounced by OSU in the Big Ten championship. Minnesota, maybe?

I'd like to see Wisconsin meet up with Arkansas in a bowl game
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote