Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #101
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Well, I'm not sure I'd be using Alex Smith as my primary arm-strength example, but I agree that Peyton is just as done as Tom Brady was after the first 4 games last season. Unfortunately, Gronk (or Julius Thomas) isn't walking through that door to make his life easier, but he'll do just fine with that defense in what's shaping up as a down year at the top of the AFC (regardless how ugly it was, Denver's 2-0 with W's over playoff contenders Baltimore and KC). And anyone who thinks that it's time to start Brock Osweiler over Manning can be summarily ignored going forward.

Interesting note re: the O-Line though - "During his first three seasons in Denver, Manning was pressured on 14.3 percent of his passes, the lowest rate in the league by a comfortable margin. Andy Dalton is in second at 19.6 percent. In two games this season, that figure is up to 22.8 percent, which is roughly league-average. Manning has already been sacked seven times in two games. Last year, he didn’t take his seventh sack until Denver’s sixth game." Part of that was Manning's reads and the offense's design, but that also suggests that this O-Line isn't aberrationally bad, just league average, and Denver fans have been a little spoiled as to what usual O-Lines look like.

I would argue that Manning made a lot of those pressure statistics what they were. Sitting in the shotgun and reading the blitzes allows him to cover for a lot of mistakes. Brady does the same thing back there by the way.

Tell me why you think that pressure statistic is what it is if you've watch the first two games? How about the fact that the he threw the ball a total of 18 times on the drive Denver scored to make it 14-7 and the drive that Denver scored to make it 24-24 and was pressured 2 times?

In other words, the times Denver simply ran out of the shotgun and hurry up. Take out those two drives and I will promise you the numbers look like a horror show for all of Denvers otherr possessions.

Not counting a kneel down drive, the Broncos have had 23 total possessions. Manning has thrown for 31% of his total yards on those two drives. (8.6% of the Denver possessions) Again, wipe those two, two minute drives off the books and the pressure has been unbearable.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #102
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I would argue that Manning made a lot of those pressure statistics what they were. Sitting in the shotgun and reading the blitzes allows him to cover for a lot of mistakes. Brady does the same thing back there by the way.

Tell me why you think that pressure statistic is what it is if you've watch the first two games? How about the fact that the he threw the ball a total of 18 times on the drive Denver scored to make it 14-7 and the drive that Denver scored to make it 24-24 and was pressured 2 times?

In other words, the times Denver simply ran out of the shotgun and hurry up. Take out those two drives and I will promise you the numbers look like a horror show for all of Denvers otherr possessions.

Not counting a kneel down drive, the Broncos have had 23 total possessions. Manning has thrown for 31% of his total yards on those two drives. (8.6% of the Denver possessions) Again, wipe those two, two minute drives off the books and the pressure has been unbearable.
So do we just take out all the times other teams are in the shotgun or hurry up offenses too?

Denver's line certainly isn't good now, and it's clearly worse than last year's, but I'm just not ready to say it's the worst in the league and put all the blame on it. It's probably closer to average, (no, I haven't watched all 32 teams play so I can't say that empirically right now) and all that your parsing of under center vs shotgun stats tells me is that Denver should probably go back to having Peyton in shotgun most of the time... which is what most people have been saying for 2 weeks now. We'll see if Kubiak adjusts or digs his heels in.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #103
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So do we just take out all the times other teams are in the shotgun or hurry up offenses too?

Denver's line certainly isn't good now, and it's clearly worse than last year's, but I'm just not ready to say it's the worst in the league and put all the blame on it. It's probably closer to average, (no, I haven't watched all 32 teams play so I can't say that empirically right now) and all that your parsing of under center vs shotgun stats tells me is that Denver should probably go back to having Peyton in shotgun most of the time... which is what most people have been saying for 2 weeks now. We'll see if Kubiak adjusts or digs his heels in.

Go ahead, pull all of the two minute offenses out. I'm telling you, Denver has been a complete and total horror show on the OLine outside of those two drives. It's not just Manning either. The Broncos are averaging 2.8 yards per carry on the ground. If that's "AVERAGE," I would seriously hate to see horrible.

I read the Barnewell article you are referring to. He's also missing that point. On 21 of 23 drives that line has been far below average in protecting the QB. it's been putrid and about as bad of protection as you will ever see in an NFL game. The 18 passes on those two drives have caused the overall number to look a lot better than what it should.

We'll see as we play out the year. The line must get better. If it does, I believe Manning will be just fine. If it doesn't, this offense is going to be a very poor one.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #104
Suicane75
Coordinator

Any Dolphins fans have an opinion your coach? I love that teams talent but everything I read about your coach is that he's pretty underwhelming as far as play calling and scheming goes.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #105
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Playing to DEN o-line's statistics dismisses the fact that their o-line simply fails the eye test. There were rushers coming unblocked, immediately from the snap of the ball, as soon as the game started. Treating 'pressure' as having a binary value of "yes" or "no" on each particular play, ignores the fact that Denver's oline was giving up the worst kind of pressure, as quickly as possible.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-19-2015 at 01:12 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #106
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Any Dolphins fans have an opinion your coach? I love that teams talent but everything I read about your coach is that he's pretty underwhelming as far as play calling and scheming goes.

I think just about covers my feelings on Joe Philbin.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #107
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I can't believe he's lasted this long. I think if he doesn't make the playoffs this year, he's done.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #108
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I can't believe he's lasted this long. I think if he doesn't make the playoffs this year, he's done.

I thought he was done when they collapsed down the stretch last year.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #109
cuervo72
Head Coach

He seems like such a generic, non-entity coach.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #110
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

At this point he has proven to be a pretty good OC with Mike McCarthy calling plays and Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #111
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Kevin Hogan confuses me? Some games he looks like he could be a great NFL QB, other games you wonder why he isn't in DIII.

Oops... wrong thread!

Last edited by BillJasper : 09-19-2015 at 08:43 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #112
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When is the NFL going to realize the 930AM EST time zone could easily be in play every week? While Thursday really feels like a cash grab, early on Sunday doesn't.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #113
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bad news Cowboys fans:

Dez Bryant expected to miss 10-12 weeks because of bone graft - NFL.com
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #114
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
When is the NFL going to realize the 930AM EST time zone could easily be in play every week? While Thursday really feels like a cash grab, early on Sunday doesn't.

I was thinking this in bed this morning, pondering if I should get up or not (I didn't).
Old 09-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #115
Suicane75
Coordinator

9:30amEST? No thank you.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #116
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, there is a lot of people in mountain and pacific that aren't watching those games, there is no way the NFL does that. I'm sure it would be great for you though
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #117
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
9:30amEST? No thank you.

+1

I'm not even stoked about the games that are already scheduled today. Add another one to the mix? That would be rough and devalue Sunday Ticket and RedZone even more.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #118
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm in NJ and I would hate that. I can't imagine someone out west having to deal with it.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #119
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm in NJ and I would hate that. I can't imagine someone out west having to deal with it.

Imagine the folks in Hawaii that are five or six hours behind the East Coast.

Then there are the fans that would have to get up and actually leave their house for a game at seven or eight AM. That's if they're not tailgating.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #120
Suicane75
Coordinator

Tailgating for an 8am game is called Saturday night.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #121
Thomkal
Head Coach

All rookie Johnson does for the Cards is score TD's-this week 108 yard kickoff return to start the game.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #122
Butter
Coordinator

When will the Bengals cut Mike Nugent?
Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #123
MikeVic
Head Coach

Steelers go for 2 on each of the first two tds and convert. Then go for 1 on the next td and it misses... Wouldn't you just go for 2 each time if you started with it already? Figured that was the strategy.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #124
cuervo72
Head Coach

Let down much, Rams?

Redskins do look good though. Might indeed be onto something with Matt Jones.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #125
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Lesson about crowning anyone champs or great after Week One: Winston looking much better, Mariota not so much.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #126
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I know judging intent is tough, but it really looked like Dalton was trying to pull that ball back in, instead of throwing it.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #127
Groundhog
Coordinator

Up at 3am to watch Hayne and the 49ers... Has not been pretty. Brown is murdering them deep, and the Steelers D is giving the 49ers nothing.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #128
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Mariota is having his own tribute to Vince Young, but Poutasi the RT is having a terrible game. He's not holding the edge at all. I think if Mariota gets back under control they can still make a game of it though.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #129
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Lesson about crowning anyone champs or great after Week One: Winston looking much better, Mariota not so much.

That being said, for all the talk about the possible demise of Manning and Brady, are we sure that Brees is still good?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #130
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cardinals score 28 against the Bears so far and Cutler after going perfect, throws a pick-6 and injures himself after trying to tackle the guy who pick-6'ed. Jimmy Claussen in for Bears.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #131
Thomkal
Head Coach

stick a finger in the Saints? Brees, Payton. Last I looked they were down to the Bucs and Brees trying to do to much, throws an INT to a double covered receiver.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #132
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Jimmy Claussen in for Bears.

Congrats on your victory.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #133
BillJasper
Pro Starter

For all the grief given Cutler, the Bears are in real trouble if they have to depend on Clausen.

The 49ers look terrible today.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #134
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yikes. Ambulance on the field in Buffalo
Old 09-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #135
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Yikes. Ambulance on the field in Buffalo

Aaron Williams went down on the Edelman TD.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #136
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Nice 4th down TD pass by Mariota.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #137
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Alfred Morris get hurt?
Old 09-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #138
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Clock management could bite the Giants in the ass again.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #139
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
For all the grief given Cutler, the Bears are in real trouble if they have to depend on Clausen.

The 49ers look terrible today.

The Bears are in real trouble no matter what this year. Fox will get it done in all likelihood, but it's going to take time to convert the roster to what he wants to do on both sides of the ball. This probably a 5 win team at best.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #140
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Too bad Watt and Clowney can't play QB and RB for the Texans.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #141
BillJasper
Pro Starter

*cough*PhilipRiversisgarbage!*cough*
Old 09-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #142
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

TD jags baby

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #143
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um... holy shit?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #144
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Massacres across the fantasy survivor leagues as the Buccaneers upset the Saints. I went down with this bandwagon as well.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #145
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Oh my gosh Allen Robinson!!! Tyson Alualu is catching a 1st down, I don't knw when y team started looking like an NFL team, but I like it!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #146
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Um... holy shit?

I don't understand why the Patriots are throwing the ball 55 times?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #147
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't understand why the Patriots are throwing the ball 55 times?

Because it's working?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #148
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well not the last quarter so much, other than this drive.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #149
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm so fucking sick of watching the Miami Dolphins kick FG's. It seems like they've been doing it for fifteen fucking years, non-stop!
Old 09-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #150
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jags 0-8 streak since 2010 in games at 4pm start time in "danger" of being broken