Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #351
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
He's still rated a 5/6/8/10/7 at 66!

Do they test for HGH in 2030?
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #352
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I hope like hell that someday, Markus codes a "lock this player into this position when asking manager for lineups" function.

I have a guy that can play 4 positions, however, his most talented position is first base. He is a GOD at first base. He's going to win the Gold Glove 11 years out of 10, he's that good. On a scale of 1 to 20 (with spillover at the top), he's rated at THIRTY FOUR. That's right. 34. The highest 1-20 rating spillover I've ever seen.

Yet my manager and bench coach want him to play SS. I could fire my manager and bench coach till I get one who understands how good a 1B he is and keeps him there, but it would be a lot nicer just to click a little lock icon to tell the manager.. "Look.. you can have the other 8 guys where you want.. but he's your first baseman. Period."
Old 06-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #353
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
BTW, I hope like hell that someday, Markus codes a "lock this player into this position when asking manager for lineups" function.

I have a guy that can play 4 positions, however, his most talented position is first base. He is a GOD at first base. He's going to win the Gold Glove 11 years out of 10, he's that good. On a scale of 1 to 20 (with spillover at the top), he's rated at THIRTY FOUR. That's right. 34. The highest 1-20 rating spillover I've ever seen.

Yet my manager and bench coach want him to play SS. I could fire my manager and bench coach till I get one who understands how good a 1B he is and keeps him there, but it would be a lot nicer just to click a little lock icon to tell the manager.. "Look.. you can have the other 8 guys where you want.. but he's your first baseman. Period."

Totally agree. That would be a nice feature.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #354
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I agree. This really pissed me off in 2007
Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #355
Drake
assmaster

I agree with this so much, it pisses me off just thinking about it's lack of existence.

But since Markus gave me the ball flight thingie I've yearned for since Shaun Sullivan went old school and broke it out for Puresim a couple of years ago, I'm willing to be patient.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #356
CraigSca
Pro Starter

In the vaporware version of my baseball game (pfft), as owner/GM, instead of specifically giving lineups for each day (or against lefties or righties) I always thought it would be nice to fill out a matrix with things like 1-9 in the lineup, position, etc. Anything you wanted to force, you'd fill-in. For instance, if you wanted a guy to bat #3 against lefties or always play a certain position, you'd fill that spot in the matrix. Anything left blank was free for the field management AI to "play with".
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #357
Galaril
Pro Starter

I haven't been able to get past the first season the game just freezes up after the first season world series using the historical league with MLB players. I reported this over on the tech support forum.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #358
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
In the vaporware version of my baseball game (pfft), as owner/GM, instead of specifically giving lineups for each day (or against lefties or righties) I always thought it would be nice to fill out a matrix with things like 1-9 in the lineup, position, etc. Anything you wanted to force, you'd fill-in. For instance, if you wanted a guy to bat #3 against lefties or always play a certain position, you'd fill that spot in the matrix. Anything left blank was free for the field management AI to "play with".

http://web.archive.org/web/200201180...ebaseball.com/

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #359
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Just brings back memories of "WTF?"
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #360
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I remember that game. Did it also have a different name at some point?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #361
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Stars are below that. I think it says 20-80 or use stars. I don't have it open at the moment to confirm, but it's not the same as potential ratings, it's like "talent" or something

The "Overall/Potential Ratings" are set to be shown in Stars, which is what I've always done.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #362
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
I think it's because you have scouts on and are looking at OSA ratings. You can only see potential stars with your scouts...

That's it. I had scouts on. I never used them before, but someone posted that having scouts on was the only way to track changes? I don't know. But when I use Scouts, I lose the stars. I'm confused. *I* don't have scouts, since I am not a GM of any team.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #363
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Just brings back memories of "WTF?"

Do NOT fuck with the progress meter!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #364
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

So I just played 2009 and here's Mark Buehrle's stat line:

15 Wins, 67 Losses, 93 Games Started, 365 Earned Runs, 83 Homers, 786 Hits Allowed, 313 Walks, 605 Strikeouts. WTF?

Jeremy Bonderman:15 W, 24 L, 82 GS, 224 ER, 32 HR, 184 BB, 397 K's.

They are the only 2 way out of whack, although there was 8 pitchers with 300+ Strikeouts.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #365
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Huh. Sounds like the glitch is in the MLB roster again, do they have starters on those two teams?

BTW, thanks to Ben and all the others who are keeping that "Lock a Player" idea bumped
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #366
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

So what's the deal with this game? I've played since version 3 but held off this time around because of the debachory (sp) that was 2006 and last year's game had issues with the "MLB roster." It appears the roster issue exists still in version 9 and I strictly play MLB style modern. Needless to say, I'm happy I haven't spent the $ on this game yet.

Is there a roster set that is up to par with player numbers, real managers, etc? It always seems MLB rosters are severely lacking in certain areas and no one roster has it all. The ones that are promised in full end of with the person dying, or whatever else like a previous post mentioned.

I guess I could just make my own roster but that s**** is crazy.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #367
cougarfreak
College Starter

I don't have one with real managers, but I did convert the CBL rosters that he did, and the ratings are based on Pecota projections for the 2008 season. I made a quick start out of the league, if anyone is interested. With pictures, etc., it's over 100 mb though, and that's zipped.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #368
molson
General Manager

As a whole, the reaction to this game through 8 pages isn't nearly as positive as the early reaction of the last version....I'm definitely holding off on a buy also.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #369
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
As a whole, the reaction to this game through 8 pages isn't nearly as positive as the early reaction of the last version....I'm definitely holding off on a buy also.

IMO, this is by far the best version of OOTP. I think it's absolutely tremendous for fictional, and historical play. I think most of the gripes I've seen over at the OOTP boards are about the 2008 roster set.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #370
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Thanks for the offer Cougar I'll keep that in mind. I haven't purchased the game and every time I get the feeling that I might I read more and more things about people having trouble setting things up for realistic MLB results. Unfortunately, this game is just not cut out for MLB right out of the box and I don't want to spend my beautiful summer days figuring out how to make sure the text is straight on my Tigers' uniforms, or that my stadium pics match as well as the dimensions and park statistic results, and every other tedious thing in the OOTP serious the past few years that I have grown to hate.

This game just isn't what it used to be. It's so much better in ways but oh so worse in so many others.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #371
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Thanks for the offer Cougar I'll keep that in mind. I haven't purchased the game and every time I get the feeling that I might I read more and more things about people having trouble setting things up for realistic MLB results. Unfortunately, this game is just not cut out for MLB right out of the box and I don't want to spend my beautiful summer days figuring out how to make sure the text is straight on my Tigers' uniforms, or that my stadium pics match as well as the dimensions and park statistic results, and every other tedious thing in the OOTP serious the past few years that I have grown to hate.

This game just isn't what it used to be. It's so much better in ways but oh so worse in so many others.

The uniforms and stuff are fine. It's just the players aren't always there or rated correctly. It's just too damned much work to do it correctly.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #372
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't bought the last two versions and am very happy with this game so far. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #373
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Get Baseball Mogul if you want a game with great MLB rosters. I've finally settled on playing OOTP with fictional rosters.. go figure.

I've had fun with BM 09 using real MLB rosters from a user named HoustonGm - as you'll see is included in the game.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #374
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Yeah, this game is the most well-done version they've ever released. Waiting just means you're going to suffer through how to play it after we've all figured it out.

If you're gonna get it anyway, it's worth it.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #375
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Get Baseball Mogul if you want a game with great MLB rosters. I've finally settled on playing OOTP with fictional rosters.. go figure.

I've had fun with BM 09 using real MLB rosters from a user named HoustonGm - as you'll see is included in the game.

I know I will be sorry I asked (sorry Clay) but how does BM 09 play as far as real MLB. Are there still crazy trades, sign and release stuff, or super stars being sent to the minors or cut?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #376
path12
Coordinator

I'll say that although I'm not totally hooked, this version is the first one of the three I've bought that I'm progressing in and enjoying. Jumping in isn't as daunting as it was with the 07 version (last one I had).
Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #377
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Do NOT fuck with the progress meter!!!

By the meter, the game should be finished by 2012
Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #378
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'll say that although I'm not totally hooked, this version is the first one of the three I've bought that I'm progressing in and enjoying. Jumping in isn't as daunting as it was with the 07 version (last one I had).

Next step is to talk you into joining a multiplayer league
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #379
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Next step is to talk you into joining a multiplayer league

Maybe, but it's hard enough to keep up with just two FOF teams. I lose track of deadlines.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #380
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
By the meter, the game should be finished by 2012
I think it's no coincidence that the Mayan calendar also ends in 2012...
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #381
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
So what's the deal with this game? I've played since version 3 but held off this time around because of the debachory (sp) that was 2006 and last year's game had issues with the "MLB roster." It appears the roster issue exists still in version 9 and I strictly play MLB style modern. Needless to say, I'm happy I haven't spent the $ on this game yet.

Is there a roster set that is up to par with player numbers, real managers, etc? It always seems MLB rosters are severely lacking in certain areas and no one roster has it all. The ones that are promised in full end of with the person dying, or whatever else like a previous post mentioned.

I guess I could just make my own roster but that s**** is crazy.

debauchery is what Pumpy and the accountant get up to when nobody else is looking.

Are you thinking of 'debacle'?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #382
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Thanks SackAttack,

I had the word right in my mind just the bad spelling:

Debauchery - Archaic. seduction from duty, allegiance, or virtue.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #383
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, this game is the most well-done version they've ever released. Waiting just means you're going to suffer through how to play it after we've all figured it out.

If you're gonna get it anyway, it's worth it.

A thumbs up from you is persuasive.

All I really want to do is a small, fictional old-timey league with no finances or scouting, a 2-8 rating scale and a couple of goofy league rules, where I would pick a team and manage every game. I'm concerned about the the lack of tracking deveopment with scouts off, but I guess with everything scaled down like that, I should have any other issues.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #384
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

All I really want to do is a small, fictional old-timey league with no finances or scouting, a 2-8 rating scale and a couple of goofy league rules, where I would pick a team and manage every game. I'm concerned about the the lack of tracking deveopment with scouts off, but I guess with everything scaled down like that, I should have any other issues.

See I could have swore that before the game launched Markus had mentioned how people kept saying they wanted tracked development back and that they were going to include that for leagues that have scouts off. Am I crazy? Or did I misunderstand him?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #385
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Yeah, with a setup like that, you'll be totally fine. Especially in this version. The lack of dev tracking might be a pain, but if you're playing out games anyway...you should be okay.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #386
Anthony
Banned

i think this is the best version of OOTP, hands down. the amount you can customize is daunting and extensive. not required, but its there if you want it, which is all i ask. it really gives you the tools to play the game the way you want to.

i'm not sure how hard the trading is though, right now i have it set to "very difficult" and have the AI favoring prospects, but i do seem to be able to move players that should be sort of unmoveable (42 year old Moises Alou should not be able to be the centerpiece of a deal where i aquire a 5 star 33 OF, i threw in other things such as prospects, but Alou should be somewhat untradeable).

for some reason almost all the 5 star rated players - no matter how old - are asking for deals worth $18million+. and the star ratings for each player seems to change like all the time, do i have it on a certain setting that constantly adjusts the stars based on current performance? and why is it that i have a lot of guys who are rated 5 stars? like how is Alou such a beast in my game, and still rated 5 stars at the age of 42 (and asking for $19million a year as a free agent)?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #387
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I know I will be sorry I asked (sorry Clay) but how does BM 09 play as far as real MLB. Are there still crazy trades, sign and release stuff, or super stars being sent to the minors or cut?

Check your pm's.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #388
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

What folder do you dump face packs into in order to get the pictures on Historical leagues at start up?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #389
RainMaker
General Manager

The game is great for fictional leagues. The game is real bad for MLB leagues. That's it in a nutshell. I still don't think this game will ever get back to the popularity it had until they fix the MLB part of the game. That's just my opinion though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #390
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The game is fine for MLB leagues. There just isn't a roster set out there yet that models it super well.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #391
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The game is great for fictional leagues. The game is real bad for MLB leagues. That's it in a nutshell. I still don't think this game will ever get back to the popularity it had until they fix the MLB part of the game. That's just my opinion though.

Unfortunately at this point, though "real bad" is a bit strong think I do have to agree with you overall.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #392
cougarfreak
College Starter

Anyone have someplace I can load my quickstart up for you guys that want an MLB roster set? It's large, about 110 mb.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #393
FBPro
College Starter

I'm playing an MLB league using the current roster sets available and things seem fine so far.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #394
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

why am I getting an error where teams don't have enough active players on their roster in the offseason??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #395
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
why am I getting an error where teams don't have enough active players on their roster in the offseason??

Probably minor league teams. Turn on ghost players.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #396
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

no no - major league teams - DFA-ing 32 guys!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #397
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
no no - major league teams - DFA-ing 32 guys!

Oooohhh... wacky.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #398
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

multiple teams have done it too (houston+texas) -- and I haven't done anything funky to the datafiles or anything.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #399
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
multiple teams have done it too (houston+texas) -- and I haven't done anything funky to the datafiles or anything.

Hmm..that might be a bug. I've never seen that before. You should post it over in OOTP tech support land. Even if the members of parliament shoot you down, at least it'll be out there and we can bugzilla it.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #400
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

DaddyTorgo, did you start your MLB season after the new patch?

I found when I started a new MLB league with the fixed quickstart, the problem was that none of the AI teams were allowed to make moves. If you go to your league functions page and click the button to allow the computer to make moves again, that should fix your problem if it is the same thing I had
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote