Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #401
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah I started it after the patch

will try that alan - thanks

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #402
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

alan wins
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #403
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I guess I should report that over on the ootp forums.. I just havent had a chance to if one of you want to.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #404
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
multiple teams have done it too (houston+texas) -- and I haven't done anything funky to the datafiles or anything.

Daddy I had the same problem a few days ago and I bet the problem is under the league options where you set foreigner limit. Check to see that the limit is based on league nationality and not team nationality.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #405
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Anyone have someplace I can load my quickstart up for you guys that want an MLB roster set? It's large, about 110 mb.

Cougar, I'd love to hear more about your quickstart. Are there real coaches? Player numbers accurate? I guess I was just curious as to what you've added to the default (if that's what you used to start with).
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #406
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Cougar, I'd love to hear more about your quickstart. Are there real coaches? Player numbers accurate? I guess I was just curious as to what you've added to the default (if that's what you used to start with).

I actually started with the CBL roster set that was made for v8. He input all the pecota projections for players from BP's website. The season plays out very well in terms of stats. Contracts or personnel are not correct. I'm in the process (a loooong process I would guess) of putting in correct contracts.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 AM   #407
SackAttack
Head Coach

Up 4-0 against Washington in a home game.

You don't see it here, but Kuroda has 6 starts of 8 IP this season for me, and one complete game, so this isn't an endurance issue.

No injury, no rain delay.

Somebody justify this in a way that makes sense, please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kuroda.jpg (19.7 KB, 293 views)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #408
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My guess is that the game doesn't have code to know he's throwing a no-hitter.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #409
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's actually a perfect game, Ben.

And the only two games he had all year with a lower pitch count than that were the two games he got shelled and was done before the third.

Even if it doesn't know about the no-hitter, it ought to realize that, hey, he's done 110+ 6 times, so he's got the endurance to throw more than 77, and with a performance like that, sweet! Save the bullpen!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #410
Ben E Lou

Either way, it's not surprising, without code for recognizing a no-hitter or perfect game. I'm sure there's always a chance that a guy who has thrown 7 innings will get yanked for a pinch hitter, no matter how small that chance. (And if you're using an MLB setup, I believe the "remove for pinch hitter" setting is "Very Often.") Dice roll...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #411
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Either way, it's not surprising, without code for recognizing a no-hitter or perfect game. I'm sure there's always a chance that a guy who has thrown 7 innings will get yanked for a pinch hitter, no matter how small that chance. (And if you're using an MLB setup, I believe the "remove for pinch hitter" setting is "Very Often.") Dice roll...

AI didn't pinch hit for him, it pinch-ran for him. Just watched the replay, there's no mention of an injury in the PbP. No mention of an injury in the box or log, either. It just...pulled him for a pinch runner. I don't see an option for 'pinch run for,' either at the macro or the micro level.

Just had a similar (but not quite the same) repeat with Kershaw, but in this case, if you look at Kershaw's line, it's easy to imagine what happened here.

Pitched 7 hitless innings, he's been walking guys, but the manager lets him go out, figuring he'll give up a hit, get his ovation, and go to the showers.

Instead, he strikes out the first two batters and gets the third to ground weakly to short, and now he's thrown almost 120 pitches, and the manager has to make an honest-to-God decision: pull the youngster for his health, or make the home crowd happy?

He used the hook. Given the situation, I can justify that in a way that makes sense. I still can't find any way the Kuroda thing a) makes sense, or b) is in my control at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kershaw.jpg (19.8 KB, 289 views)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #412
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
He used the hook. Given the situation, I can justify that in a way that makes sense. I still can't find any way the Kuroda thing a) makes sense, or b) is in my control at all.
A. Already explained. There's clearly no "he's got a no-hitter going" code in the game. Therefore, the pinch hit/pinch run/pull for a reliever decision is purely up to dice rolls, modified or not.
B. I'm pretty sure there are settings for each player on your team as to how often they get pulled for a pinch hitter, defensive sub, or relief pitcher. And there's a team-wide setting for pinch runner usage. But even with those controls, I refer you back to point A. If pinch hitter or pinch runner usage is set to 1% of normal, there's still a tiny chance of a dice roll that will bring in a pinch runner at an inopportune time. If one needs greater control than that, I'd suggest managing games. You always run a risk of a critically bad dice roll when playing any text sim without directly controlling everything in every game.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #413
miked
College Starter

I was under the impression that there was. I'll search the forums over there, but I believe there is some no-hitter logic, I just forget the exact posts but I remember some people pointing out the issue in past versions. The fact that he only threw 77 pitches is more of the issue. Was he pitching on short rest?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #414
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I was under the impression that there was.
Maybe there is, but point being, it's clearly not 100% automatic that a guy with a no-hitter will stay in (and really it shouldn't be). So therefore, you're going to be at least somewhat subject to dice rolls on this.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-27-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #415
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Up 4-0 against Washington in a home game.

You don't see it here, but Kuroda has 6 starts of 8 IP this season for me, and one complete game, so this isn't an endurance issue.

No injury, no rain delay.

Somebody justify this in a way that makes sense, please.

Don't feel too bad. This happens in other games as well. I have seen it happen at least 5 times in DMB when I used to play that game.

I do agree that the game should have some sort of no-hitter code where it looks at pitch count and game score. Perhaps when Markus returns I will post this on the beta boards.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #416
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
Well, they probably were pinch-hit for because there were the bases loaded or something similar. The AI does not lift the pitcher when he has a no-no going unless it has to.

Oh really.

So clearly there IS some kind of no-hitter logic there, but it sure didn't work properly here, because as we've discussed, there was no bases-loaded situation, he wasn't even pinch-hit for. He was lifted for a pinch-runner, and there's no way I could have prevented that had I had the foresight.

(Quoted from another board where I raised this.)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #417
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
Don't feel too bad. This happens in other games as well. I have seen it happen at least 5 times in DMB when I used to play that game.

I do agree that the game should have some sort of no-hitter code where it looks at pitch count and game score. Perhaps when Markus returns I will post this on the beta boards.

-Cork

I already did, last night, Cork. But thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #418
miked
College Starter

So would you like a lock? Would you think hard coding in to keep a guy throwing a no-no, regardless of any circumstance would be the choice?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #419
SackAttack
Head Coach

Nope. I'm okay with what happened with Kershaw. Health > no-no, easy.

But I cannot find one single good goddamn reason for Kuroda to have been lifted. He had thrown only 77 pitches, he clearly, based on past performance in the season, had the endurance to continue, he was not lifted for a pinch-hitter in a situation that might have given the team the lead, he was not removed for injury, he was not ejected from the game, etc, etc.

I think THAT needs to be looked into and fixed.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #420
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
So would you like a lock? Would you think hard coding in to keep a guy throwing a no-no, regardless of any circumstance would be the choice?

I say yeah. We all know in real life, skipper leaves the kid in the game unless it's the 4th inning or something. But so long as he's got a no-no in the 6th or later, he's 99% of the time keeping him in the game until he gives up a hit. He might get the hook immediately after that, but the game ought have that in the code. Shouldn't be that complicated.

Even if it is, it ought to be there anyway.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #421
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Oh really.

So clearly there IS some kind of no-hitter logic there, but it sure didn't work properly here, because as we've discussed, there was no bases-loaded situation, he wasn't even pinch-hit for. He was lifted for a pinch-runner, and there's no way I could have prevented that had I had the foresight.

(Quoted from another board where I raised this.)
Very nice of you to re-post a quote from Markus from the private beta board.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #422
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I say yeah. We all know in real life, skipper leaves the kid in the game unless it's the 4th inning or something. But so long as he's got a no-no in the 6th or later, he's 99% of the time keeping him in the game until he gives up a hit. He might get the hook immediately after that, but the game ought have that in the code. Shouldn't be that complicated.

Even if it is, it ought to be there anyway.
But that's the crux of the issue here. Is it 99%, or 100%??? If it's 98 or 99 or 99.99, there's still the chance of a dice roll at any given point to yank him.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #423
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Very nice of you to re-post a quote from Markus from the private beta board.

If you are a beta team member, why even bring the issue to this thread?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #424
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If you are a beta team member, why even bring the issue to this thread?
I was wondering why he posted it here...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #425
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I was wondering why he posted it here...

We're saying the same thing, homie. I am wondering why he brought it up here, since he is on the beta team.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #426
DanGarion
Coordinator

I wish I was on the beta team.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #427
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
I wish I was on the beta team.

Just wait until the fall and apply. It's not too hard to get on the team .

-Cork
Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #428
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
We're saying the same thing, homie. I am wondering why he brought it up here, since he is on the beta team.

I would imagine he posted here because he frequents this board quite a bit and perhaps wanted some non-beta team input.

-Cork
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #429
Comey
College Starter

To be fair, I almost posted it from the beta board, too. I refrained, because it's not my discussion and realized SA is part of that board, too. I originally thought someone had raised the issue for him.

Last edited by Comey : 06-27-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #430
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
Just wait until the fall and apply. It's not too hard to get on the team .

-Cork
I have applied in the past and didn't get it. But yes I know I can apply next time too.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #431
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Unfortunately at this point, though "real bad" is a bit strong think I do have to agree with you overall.
Simulate 2-3 years in and the league looks horrible. Almost everyone is 25-27.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #432
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I'm so glad I didn't buy this. It would have been the same stuff from last year only $30 less in the checking account!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #433
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Huh.. I actually have seen the opposite.. I've been annoyed at the number of 41-43 year olds not only in starting lineups but re-signing for multi year deals.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #434
Anthony
Banned

yeah, i pointed it out earlier that there is an unusual amount of older guys who are asking for 8 figure multi-year deals. Moises Alou is still rated very high for a 42 year old, he should be scrapping to get an invite to preseason teams.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #435
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

You actually bought the game?! The only time I see you post on this board is to criticize ootp. haven't you learned your lesson?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #436
SackAttack
Head Coach

I will say that there's several things I see in the way of improvement that I like this year. I'd have been more comfortable buying OOTP9 than last year's game (which I ended up barely playing after beta).

I am just irritated beyond belief at the perfect game thing, and probably a big part of that is I don't think I've ever HAD a perfect game in any version of OOTP.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #437
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Huh.. I actually have seen the opposite.. I've been annoyed at the number of 41-43 year olds not only in starting lineups but re-signing for multi year deals.

RonCo talked about changing the aging modifiers to make them at 2.000 instead of the default 1.000. I think this will solve your problem for sure.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #438
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Maybe it's just because I'm not a huge MLB fan, but the I'm having an absolute blast with the real rosters. I can see being upset if you play super slow, but for me who plays through a season a day, within two weeks your playing with mostly fictional players anyway.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #439
samifan24
Pro Starter

My league just held its first amateur draft in mid-June. I assigned nearly all of my draft picks to my rookie affiliate (I'm playing AAA-AA-A-R minor league system) but noticed that they hadn't played any games after a few days. I checked the league schedule and the league schedule ran from April to early June. I tried to add games to the schedule but the game won't let me. Is there any way to alter this in-season? It makes no sense that a rookie league team's season would end in the middle of the year. If they're short-season, they should start playing in the middle of June, not finish playing.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #440
Galaril
Pro Starter

For anyone looking for a MLB fictional league template PSU Colonel posted his over at OOTP forum. I guess it will be up on Padres OOTP Mod site eventually. Here is the description and direct link to the mod download for anyone interested.

Quote:
A fictional League template containing:

all 30 real MLB teams with all Real minor league teams
all true to life uniforms and logos
all true to life ballparks and weather factors for all major and minor leagues
As true to as possible market sizes

http://web.mac.com/psucolonel/iWeb/T..._files/MLB.wtp

Last edited by Galaril : 06-28-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #441
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So it's just fictional players then? Everything else listed there a very much non-fictional to me.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #442
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I dont know much about the whole Lahman database etc. and stuff like that. Is this something that would be "easily (HA!) imported for real rosters?
Old 06-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #443
lungs
Pro Rookie

I wish there were more fictional templates available. The most cumbersome thing for me in OOTP is creating a fictional league that is not MLB style and getting it to work right. I could just do the automatic kind of stuff but I'm kind of anal about having a major league team in Pittsburgh and then finding several minor league teams also in Pittsburgh.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #444
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I wish there were more fictional templates available. The most cumbersome thing for me in OOTP is creating a fictional league that is not MLB style and getting it to work right. I could just do the automatic kind of stuff but I'm kind of anal about having a major league team in Pittsburgh and then finding several minor league teams also in Pittsburgh.

What kind? A template with the real teams and fake players you mean?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #445
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
For anyone looking for a MLB fictional league template PSU Colonel posted his over at OOTP forum.
I'm not sure if I would trust this, as he probably found some way to make all the brown players play like shit.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #446
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
For anyone looking for a MLB fictional league template PSU Colonel posted his over at OOTP forum. I guess it will be up on Padres OOTP Mod site eventually. Here is the description and direct link to the mod download for anyone interested.

http://web.mac.com/psucolonel/iWeb/T..._files/MLB.wtp

I can't get the link to work.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #447
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

that's cuz he only copied the visible link, and the link had been shortened (look at the .... in the middle)
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #448
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I have some old guys in the 40's but they aren't good after the first year. Are you seeing guys in the 40's after 5-10 years? I can post a few sims online, but in mine, once a player hits like 30, he falls off the face of the earth. For instance, Jay Bruce, Evan Longoria, and Joey Votto dominated the league for like 5 years, then all 3 would ceremoniously become average players by the time they hit 29-30. It has left my league with not many veterans and a lot of 2nd or 3rd year players. Not to mention, almost every MVP award has been won by someone under 30.

Not sure if it's a developmental issue or roster one (I think the rosters overate some of the prospects). I'm more concerned about not seeing a lot of guys in my league who are good that are 30-35. Maybe tweaking some of the modifiers will fix that though, just something I've noticed.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #449
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
You actually bought the game?! The only time I see you post on this board is to criticize ootp. haven't you learned your lesson?
The game is good this year (with the exception of half assed rosters).
Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #450
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
I have some old guys in the 40's but they aren't good after the first year. Are you seeing guys in the 40's after 5-10 years? I can post a few sims online, but in mine, once a player hits like 30, he falls off the face of the earth. For instance, Jay Bruce, Evan Longoria, and Joey Votto dominated the league for like 5 years, then all 3 would ceremoniously become average players by the time they hit 29-30. It has left my league with not many veterans and a lot of 2nd or 3rd year players. Not to mention, almost every MVP award has been won by someone under 30.

Not sure if it's a developmental issue or roster one (I think the rosters overate some of the prospects). I'm more concerned about not seeing a lot of guys in my league who are good that are 30-35. Maybe tweaking some of the modifiers will fix that though, just something I've noticed.

Sounds to me like they are charging people for OOTP 8 still as this was the case last year. Come on guys, I'm trying to find a reason to buy this game ugh.