Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How is "The Athletic"?

So The Athletic (the online sports journalism page) has announced it is drastically expanding it's soccer coverage (and may have an Atlanta page soon). So do any of you already subscribe to it? How is it? Is it worth the cost?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I love it and do not regret the expense.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I've had a subscription since they fired up. I mainly read NBA coverage and they have a lot of quality writers. If they don't have a hub in your city, or a city you follow I might say pass. But the number and quality of team specific articles for teams they do cover make it worth it for sure.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Do you read it just for your local teams or is the national coverage good as well? Atlanta isn't a covered city quite yet (though it was mentioned Atlanta United at least would be getting coverage in the coming weeks).
Old 05-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I love it and do not regret the expense.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
If they don't have a hub in your city, or a city you follow I might say pass.

That was definitely my question. Do they not have very good national (or league wide) news?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm a day zero subscriber (Chicago) and it's a part of my daily routine for news.

To answer your question, I mainly focus on local articles so I can't speak one way or the other about the national news.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Btw, if you decide to subscribe, let me know and I can send you a referral.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Love it. Mostly use it for college football and basketball and they have a nice stable of writers for both sports. They also cover G5 teams well which is good for fans like me looking for any type of coverage of those teams.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

I love it, but I'm a little chagrined that they started covering EPL stuff right after West Brom got relegated.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If they cover the EPL I might start picking it up ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #12
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That was definitely my question. Do they not have very good national (or league wide) news?

It’s good nationally. I just don’t know if it’s better than what you can get for free. The college football and basketball stuff is very good with Stewart Mandel and sam vicine leading the way.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
It’s good nationally. I just don’t know if it’s better than what you can get for free. The college football and basketball stuff is very good with Stewart Mandel and sam vicine leading the way.

Plus they just added Bruce Feldman.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was just shared a 50% off Facebook ad for The Athletic, so I may make use of that when they start getting Atlanta coverage (hopefully it still works then! ). Sorry that no one will get the referral from that (those are only 25% off for a year though ).
Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
If they cover the EPL I might start picking it up ..

They just announced football coverage, yeah. EPL, MLS, and...something else. I forget. But it's part of their coverage now (just in time for West Brom to hit the Championship whee)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I like it, and it's continuing to add good content. It's baseball writer lineup is off the charts and they're stocking up in other areas too. I think it's worth it but ...
Quote:
I was just shared a 50% off Facebook ad for The Athletic, so I may make use of that when they start getting Atlanta coverage (hopefully it still works then! ). Sorry that no one will get the referral from that (those are only 25% off for a year though ).
... don't pay full price. There are simply too many deals and special offers out there.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How is the Yankees coverage? I might get this for my dad for his birthday next month.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I’ve really enjoyed the Athletic. I signed up for it right away and then largely ignored it for months. I recently came back to it and have really liked the National and local coverage for the NHL and NFL. Great stuff on both drafts. I’m a fan.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do you read it just for your local teams or is the national coverage good as well? Atlanta isn't a covered city quite yet (though it was mentioned Atlanta United at least would be getting coverage in the coming weeks).

Personally, I only joined recently, so have yet to dive into the national scene. The local coverage is amazing for the Bay Area - helps that both the Hockey and Basketball teams are (were) in the postseason.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
LloydLungs
College Prospect

In New Orleans area -- we are last to get most things and I suspect local coverage with The Athletic is no exception, but the national coverage is very good. Local coverage would send it over the top into greatness, but am enjoying it in the meantime. Excellent writing, massive amount of content (gulf coast absence notwithstanding), and there is definitely something to be said for getting all that without being bombarded by ads and/or autoplay video. It's a zippy, crisp experience.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote