Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Shark Tank thread

So we can discuss different deals and/or products (especially if we've purchased and can review).

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LifeCaps

LOL - Epic Mark Cuban smackdown of a snake-oil salesman.

Probably second only to the guys who had those like kooky new age bracelets.

FitDeck guy had an amazing personal resume...he's a high-powered dude! Yale undergrad, Goldman Sachs Investment Banking, Navy Seal, Harvard Business School.

But they're right - something was seriously wrong with his business if he's got $700k in sales of CARDS and he's only making $100k in profit.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-24-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

The show has such a strong pull on me that yes I actually did buy the hoodie pillowcase.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bought FiberFix but it is too cold to use. Want that ratchet mission belt
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Will post thoughts when I watch later.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

SwimZip-was OK with them til the cancer story adds unnecessary drama. These outfits are ugly. Mr. Wonderful raises the classic "I can build this company with $100 line." Lori steps in and cuts the valuation by 75%. Horrible counter offer. They should have came in at like $100k for 15% or something. Lori will probably make them some money.

Lots of commercials tonight.

FitDeck-interesting concept. Where are the profits? This dude should be drawing a big salary somewhere with his resume. Doubt there's much growth left for him.

LifeCaps-Cuban rightfully shredding this dude. Irresponsible to even show this douche on TV.

Freshly Picked- 7% Royalty deal is like a total rape I think. Basically gives O'Leary a $5 a unit I think. Good deal for her with Daymond, they'll generate some cash. I worry she'll lose her niche when she goes overseas. Will have to drop prices.

Last edited by stevew : 01-25-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Probably second only to the guys who had those like kooky new age bracelets.

Balance bracelets are a scam and Mark Cuban won't have them in his locker room viral video - YouTube
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

First time I have ever seen any of that show and that O'Leary guy is a major jackass. Has he ever made anyone an offer that isn't completely raping them? The fact that he tries to spin it like it's a benefit to them is laughable.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
SwimZip-was OK with them til the cancer story adds unnecessary drama. These outfits are ugly. Mr. Wonderful raises the classic "I can build this company with $100 line." Lori steps in and cuts the valuation by 75%. Horrible counter offer. They should have came in at like $100k for 15% or something. Lori will probably make them some money.

I think some of these people get way too lost in the valuation of their small business. You have to remain focused on what you have vs. what you could have. Better way to look at it is whether 100% of the money that you'll get is going to be more than 80% of the money you'll make pairing with Lori. Seems like a no-brainer that Lori is going to be your better option every time assuming you're on the show.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
First time I have ever seen any of that show and that O'Leary guy is a major jackass. Has he ever made anyone an offer that isn't completely raping them? The fact that he tries to spin it like it's a benefit to them is laughable.

Not that I can recall off the top of my head. He's the resident rapist.

To try to be a little fair - he is apparently the guy who wears the earpiece to the producers and is charged with like "recapping" everybody's offers and like...prodding the presenters to make their decision.

But yeah - he could do it in a less jackassery way.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think some of these people get way too lost in the valuation of their small business. You have to remain focused on what you have vs. what you could have. Better way to look at it is whether 100% of the money that you'll get is going to be more than 80% of the money you'll make pairing with Lori. Seems like a no-brainer that Lori is going to be your better option every time assuming you're on the show.

I just think they should have asked for more than 60k regardless of the valuation. Ask for more capital so that you can do more stuff, better than making a deal where you get chopped, at least if you get chopped and have a lot of cash you can do more things.. Much better to, say, give up 33% for 100k instead of only getting 60k for 20%.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Not that I can recall off the top of my head. He's the resident rapist.

To try to be a little fair - he is apparently the guy who wears the earpiece to the producers and is charged with like "recapping" everybody's offers and like...prodding the presenters to make their decision.

But yeah - he could do it in a less jackassery way.

some of this comes about because apparently the pitch sessions can be in excess of an hour and they all get chopped down to 10 to 12 minutes.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
some of this comes about because apparently the pitch sessions can be in excess of an hour and they all get chopped down to 10 to 12 minutes.

Yeah - I imagine we both probably read the same article on it.

So sure they're looking for the "soundbite moments" that make good tv when they edit it.

But by now he's been able to see the show, he should realize how he comes off. Which means he embraces it, which means I don't feel bad calling him on it, ya know?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've read some disturbing stuff about how these deals aren't even really deals. For example, the Tom and Chee deal was Barbara and Mark, but the recap made it seem to exclusively be Barbara. Also that snap on fire-hose thing apparently cuban backed out on.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've read some disturbing stuff about how these deals aren't even really deals. For example, the Tom and Chee deal was Barbara and Mark, but the recap made it seem to exclusively be Barbara. Also that snap on fire-hose thing apparently cuban backed out on.

Hadn't seen that.

I do give Cuban credit though for apparently refusing to be on the show anymore unless they scrapped the small-print (to us the viewers) that said that just by being on the show that these businesses had to pony up equity to the production company - because that's the kind of sleezy shit I hate.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I have read that there are a few deals that don't go through after the show. Some of it is because once the investor opens the books on the business, they find things they can't work with. The deals also get changed afterward sometimes because the financials were murkier than they originally thought. Stuff like that happens. If it were that most of the deals don't actually get done, then I'd be upset. But most do, and in this situation a few not working out is no big deal.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-27-2014 at 05:39 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #17
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I have read that there are a few deals that don't go through after the show. Some of it is because once the investor opens the books on the business, they find things they can't work with. The deals also get changed afterward sometimes because the financials were murkier than they originally thought. Stuff like that happens. If it were that most of the deals don't actually get done, then I'd be upset. But most do, and in this situation a few not working out is no big deal.

Yes. I try to take Shark Tank as entertainment and don't want to know the reality. I'm quite certain that nobody would invest in a company based on a 5 minute presentation in real life but much like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars I just look at it as 30 minutes of enjoyment with characters that I really like. Some of the presentations are just so pulling at your heart strings for me to not think a ton of post production goes in before it is broadcast.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yes. I try to take Shark Tank as entertainment and don't want to know the reality. I'm quite certain that nobody would invest in a company based on a 5 minute presentation in real life but much like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars I just look at it as 30 minutes of enjoyment with characters that I really like. Some of the presentations are just so pulling at your heart strings for me to not think a ton of post production goes in before it is broadcast.

what he said, though I only just watched it for the first time I would still see it in the same realm as the other shows mentioned.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Well yeah - the pitches apparently last around an hour each, and are edited down for time.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Interesting. Ya, that doesn't really take away from the show at all, in that I can accept that it's just a first-pitch kind of meeting followed by a tentative agreement. It looks like there's a range of between 30% and 70% of the deals actually happening, according to the shark involved.

Here's an article about that dynamic, and the post-show process:

Deal interrupted: On ‘Shark Tank,’ a lot can happen after the handshake | New York Post
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Interesting. Ya, that doesn't really take away from the show at all, in that I can accept that it's just a first-pitch kind of meeting followed by a tentative agreement. It looks like there's a range of between 30% and 70% of the deals actually happening, according to the shark involved.

Here's an article about that dynamic, and the post-show process:

Deal interrupted: On ‘Shark Tank,’ a lot can happen after the handshake | New York Post

That was interesting read. I saw another article where they had interviewed Jeff Foxworthy after he had been on the show. He said his deal fell through when the people pulled out, and basically said they had no interest in making a deal. They just wanted the publicity. Anyway, there many reason deals don't go forward, but it still fun to watch the show.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel like if something major happens to the deal, the responsible thing is either to not re-run that segment or to run it with updated details. Continuing to put it out there like it actually happened is pretty silly.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I feel like if something major happens to the deal, the responsible thing is either to not re-run that segment or to run it with updated details. Continuing to put it out there like it actually happened is pretty silly.

Yeah - they could put a lil text on them as they're walking out of the room and celebrating giving an update on if it happened or whatever.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #24
Galaxy
Coordinator

A bump for tonight's show...
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who is Steve Tisch?

The ratings breakdown for this thing are impressive. The overall audience has almost doubled from early seasons and it seems like every new episode is a new high. I have 0 faith in ABC not to screw this up though. Leave it on Friday.

Anyways looks clearly like this show has a "tell a friend" thing going on.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:52 AM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cereal Milk-Interesting concept, but I bet it tastes like garbage. Milk that doesn't need refrigeration is typically gross as hell. Best option would be to pitch the flavor blend to local milk distributors and see if you can gain traction as a fresh milk flavor I think. My guess is someone just steals their idea because it's not very original

Cookie Dough Cafe-prediction as they are introduced---Mr. Wonderful is going to try to rape them with a royalty. This is his wheelhouse.
I miss Robert on this episode, he always eats the hell out of everything. Talk about different looking sisters.
-16 minutes in...what the hell is with all the small fries in sales so far. 20k, gtfo.
-O'Leary is such a dick, I love it when he shits on people.
-I feel like we're udderly(to borrow a pun from the first pitch session) inundated with cookie dough products. Hell, we're in a post cookie dough world, this is like 15 years too late.
-Can't believe these girls got a deal, stfu and take it. Unbelievable

Nexersys-Interesting concept, holy cow on the debt. Also something like Kinect could easily emulate like 90% of what this provides. Super expensive. This dude is probably going to go under, I will monitor this in a year and see what's up. I'm guessing he just wanted exposure for sales, and if he got and investor he was going to just bag their money to pay off debt.

Cycloramic-Interesting concept, it sucks that it is only for iPhone.
-oh god, here comes the O'Leary royalty deal
-wow, you don't often see deals get blown up this much above asking %. This guy came in too low.
-IMO the play here is just to license this app to instagram/facebook, google or like snapchat. Anyways, he got a good deal and you can tell the other sharks are salty cause I'm sure they can parlay this to like a decent sized licensing deal, cash out, and move on.

Also, does anyone do DDP Yoga, I see this will be on Shark Tank next time.

I'm sure this dude isn't the likely case for DDP Yoga but it sure makes me think that there might be something there.

Last edited by stevew : 02-01-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Who is Steve Tisch?

The ratings breakdown for this thing are impressive. The overall audience has almost doubled from early seasons and it seems like every new episode is a new high. I have 0 faith in ABC not to screw this up though. Leave it on Friday.

Anyways looks clearly like this show has a "tell a friend" thing going on.

Steve Tisch owns the NY Giants (did you notice the giant Super Bowl ring he was wearing?).

Quote:
Cereal Milk-Interesting concept, but I bet it tastes like garbage. Milk that doesn't need refrigeration is typically gross as hell. Best option would be to pitch the flavor blend to local milk distributors and see if you can gain traction as a fresh milk flavor I think. My guess is someone just steals their idea because it's not very original

Cookie Dough Cafe-prediction as they are introduced---Mr. Wonderful is going to try to rape them with a royalty. This is his wheelhouse.
I miss Robert on this episode, he always eats the hell out of everything. Talk about different looking sisters.
-16 minutes in...what the hell is with all the small fries in sales so far. 20k, gtfo.
-O'Leary is such a dick, I love it when he shits on people.
-I feel like we're udderly(to borrow a pun from the first pitch session) inundated with cookie dough products. Hell, we're in a post cookie dough world, this is like 15 years too late.
-Can't believe these girls got a deal, stfu and take it. Unbelievable

Nexersys-Interesting concept, holy cow on the debt. Also something like Kinect could easily emulate like 90% of what this provides. Super expensive. This dude is probably going to go under, I will monitor this in a year and see what's up. I'm guessing he just wanted exposure for sales, and if he got and investor he was going to just bag their money to pay off debt.

Cycloramic-Interesting concept, it sucks that it is only for iPhone.
-oh god, here comes the O'Leary royalty deal
-wow, you don't often see deals get blown up this much above asking %. This guy came in too low.
-IMO the play here is just to license this app to instagram/facebook, google or like snapchat. Anyways, he got a good deal and you can tell the other sharks are salty cause I'm sure they can parlay this to like a decent sized licensing deal, cash out, and move on.

I'm sure this dude isn't the likely case for DDP Yoga but it sure makes me think that there might be something there.

Yeah, the cereal milk thing just grossed me out. I get their idea, and I agree with them on real cereal milk tasting good, but it's not the same.

How do you spend $7.5 million on that thing?!? Holy cow.

LOL on the cookie dough sisters! DaddyTargo and I were saying the same thing about looking complete opposites. I also found it interesting that their brother took over dad's business and is now a multi-millionaire, but they didn't get a share in that business?

Cycloramic-I think the iPhone's design is also a big factor in that it's surfaces/edges are flat. It's a cool, niche concept, but DT and I disagree on it's long-term future and value. I still don't get why he wanted Lori in on the deal or why Mark would want/need her.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-01-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #28
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I thought last nights was probably my favorite one of the season so far.

As for why Mark would want Lori I think Mark wanted the deal. Bruno wanted Lori and so Lori got in on the deal. If I had that guys product Mark would absolutely be the Shark I'd want as he gets the tech space the best of any of them (except maybe Robert who wasn't there last night).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I thought last nights was probably my favorite one of the season so far.

As for why Mark would want Lori I think Mark wanted the deal. Bruno wanted Lori and so Lori got in on the deal. If I had that guys product Mark would absolutely be the Shark I'd want as he gets the tech space the best of any of them (except maybe Robert who wasn't there last night).

Yeah, I get Mark really wanted the deal. I didn't understand why Bruno wants Lori. She brings nothing of value to his business/concept, after her tactic of trying to "make a decision now" and ditching Steve like chopped liver, it would of really turned me off. I like Barbara much more than Lori.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-01-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lori is the bestest.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #31
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Wow, that's awesome. But kind of surprising, in that I can't imagine what he needs capital for. It's just a yoga program, with the business angle being that it's marketed to men, and created/endorsed by a famous former pro wrestler. I'm sure it'll be great advertising for him if nothing else.

Maybe he's looking to expand into a broader healthy lifestyle kind of product/service. I know he moved two of pro wrestling's most notorious drug addicts - Jake Roberts and Scott Hall, into his house, got them on the Yoga and clean eating, and apparently, cleaned them both up.

Last edited by molson : 02-01-2014 at 04:32 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #32
GrantDawg

Quote:
Lori is the bestest.

I like Lori and Robert the most. It always surprises me when people dump Robert for Cuban on tech stuff, even when Robert has the best deal. I personally would trust Robert more. There are only a few ideas I think I'd lean Cuban over Robert.

This is my "Shark Cheat Sheet" on who I'd prefer for what type of business:

Lori- Consumer goods, retail, and anything needing patents. She has lots of retail connections, knows HSN and infomercials, and has the patent process down pat.

Robert- Software tech and security. I could see working with him on other things because he seems dependable, but anything techy and security related he'd be a must have.

Cuban- Anything pre-start up type. Cuban I least trust to actually close a deal (he seems to have one of the worse track records), but if it is something he is excited about that is going to need capital/exposure moving forward, he is the guy.

Damon- Fashion and fitness. He has made it in the fashion industry, and seems to have done well in the fitness area also.

Kevin- Franchising and licensing. As long as you can get him to make a good, non-royalty deal, then he'd be a good Shark for licensing negotiations. And he knows the franchise market pretty well.

Barbara- General helpful investor. Unless you have something real estate related, I think Barbara is more just a general investor. I'm sure she can help open doors, and prod you in certain ways, but I don't think she generally brings as much to the table as the rest of the Sharks.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #33
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Wow, that's awesome. But kind of surprising, in that I can't imagine what he needs capital for. It's just a yoga program, with the business angle being that it's marketed to men, and created/endorsed by a famous former pro wrestler. I'm sure it'll be great advertising for him if nothing else.

Maybe he's looking to expand into a broader healthy lifestyle kind of product/service. I know he moved two of pro wrestling's most notorious drug addicts - Jake Roberts and Scott Hall, into his house, got them on the Yoga and clean eating, and apparently, cleaned them both up.

Think about a couple of companies that already got investments on the show: The surf workout people, and the son of the Taebo guy. Seems like there is some money to made in training instructors and such for exercise classes. I guess you franchise it out to gyms everywhere.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2/21 new episode-

Moberi-what the crap is this. I can't wait until the smoothie fad dies. I guess could see it working in some sort of vacation area but we're pretty much at our smoothie saturation point.

Spy training-didn't catch the name of it, but i suppose there's a market for that kind of training. The parachute cord shoelaces idea was kind of interesting.

GameFace(recap)-Didn't see this the first time around but it's a pretty good idea. These things look to be 5.99 each for generic colors. Definitely interesting idea for the type of person who would paint his face. Could see it selling a ton in college sports

DDP Yoga-I'm actually intrigued by this program. I can't believe DDP is 57 years old, he looks fabulous. The Arthur guy is a really good story. Basically it's stunt casting at work here. They didn't need the money. Wish DDP would have hit Mr. Wonderful with the Diamond Cutter.

Southern Culture Artisan Foods-Never heard the expression "breakfast lifestyle brand" before. Robert really likes to eat. This might have been the worst Mr. Wonderful offer I've ever seen. He was going to get something like 7-14% of her gross sales in perpetuity. Insane. This girl is also mistaken that she sells a food product. It's clearly a gift product. Anyone who could spend $7 on pancake mix like that would be just as likely to order breakfast from a restaurant or something I'd think.

Last edited by stevew : 02-24-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2/21 new episode-

Moberi-what the crap is this. I can't wait until the smoothie fad dies. I guess could see it working in some sort of vacation area but we're pretty much at our smoothie saturation point.

Spy training-didn't catch the name of it, but i suppose there's a market for that kind of training. The parachute cord shoelaces idea was kind of interesting.

GameFace(recap)-Didn't see this the first time around but it's a pretty good idea. These things look to be 5.99 each for generic colors. Definitely interesting idea for the type of person who would paint his face. Could see it selling a ton in college sports

DDP Yoga-I'm actually intrigued by this program. I can't believe DDP is 57 years old, he looks fabulous. The Arthur guy is a really good story. Basically it's stunt casting at work here. They didn't need the money. Wish DDP would have hit Mr. Wonderful with the Diamond Cutter.

Southern Culture Artisan Foods-Never heard the expression "breakfast lifestyle brand" before. Robert really likes to eat. This might have been the worst Mr. Wonderful offer I've ever seen. He was going to get something like 7-14% of her gross sales in perpetuity. Insane. This girl is also mistaken that she sells a food product. It's clearly a gift product. Anyone who could spend $7 on pancake mix like that would be just as likely to order breakfast from a restaurant or something I'd think.

Really got me too how Kevin was touting how much the cupcake ladies love him when he's been absolutely PILLORIED over that deal all over the internet, and i suspect, if you asked those ladies when there wasn't a camera around they wouldn't have great things to say about him.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, my math is wrong even. If she was paying $1 a unit and it was selling retail for like 7 bucks, she was probably only getting like 3.50max. So he was going to get like 15-30% of her gross sales in perpetuity. Who does he think he is, The Spirits of St. Louis?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cheek'd-delusional chick. horrible dating site idea.

Zip it- Interesting idea but I think the lack of a top sheet means you need a large washing machine in order to clean it. Way to talk yourselves out of a deal idiots.

Bambooie-The pitchman really turned me off, but I really like the thought of this product. Hilarious that Robert doesn't know how much paper towels cost. That's what happens when you "F U" type money. Product is a bit expensive($12-15). Another classic horrible offer idea by Kevin. Dummies almost screwed up a pretty good deal with Lori.

Buzzy-Interesting device, this chick is insane though. I feel like she was so hung up on her valuation that she lost out on the chance to work with some really good partners.

I kind of feel like the format is getting a bit stale, if only cause they need to work in more people. For example I would always have Cuban on, always have either Robert or Kevin, always have Daymond on, always have Barbara or Lori on, but I would rotate people out of that 5th slot. Not like Foxworthy either, because I saw some of his re-runs and they sucked. Also they should do stuff where they work in 5 female sharks. This show also screams for an occasional Oprah involvement.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As far as buying products, I did purchase some FiberFix off of Amazon a few months ago but it's been too cold to use. I have a couple rust spots on my work vehicle that I was hoping to patch up rather cheaply.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #39
Galaxy
Coordinator

Bump for tonight's show.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll post some thoughts when I get home.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The bike lights are cool. Glad the guy stood up to Cuban. Galaxy and I disagree - I side with Robert and have no issue with the fact that he very respectfully asked if anyone else wanted to make an offer before accepting. I think that's just polite, and depending on how your read of the room is, there's nothing wrong with being polite.

Can I buy a Buffer Bit online? I could use an electric shoe polisher. No..seriously.

That ULace guy had some serious energy. Nice freaking margins too, and seems like he really knows his business, and identified the issue with the product configuration being wrong. Makes sense since he worked for New Era. Was great to see Daymond endorse him, and nice that he ended up with Mark, who can bring him into the whole sports-world.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-07-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

RevoLights-Really cool idea. Too much $$$ at $229 but I bet they could get the pricing down with larger orders. Reasonable Kevin offer I guess. Cuban probably is correct here about this dude being a bit of a charlatan. I'll be interested to see if this one actually closes. His ask was way too low and it's right to be suspicious.

Squeaky Knees-There's no way I would buy these for my kids. O'leary was a hero here. As was Cuban. These people are kind of assholes. I had to fast forward the segment til everyone was out. nobody cares that you're a stay at home mom. This is easily a bottom 5 product since I've been recapping.

The Buffer Bit- Looks easy and interesting. His costs are too high and there probably isn't enough upside on the product.

DT http://www.amazon.com/Buffer-Bit-BBIT/dp/B007BJQ60G

ULace-I remember Cuban talking about shoe lacing as a good idea back on a BS report like 2-3 years ago. Logical partner, solid deal.

Last edited by stevew : 03-08-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yep - I googled right after my post and saw that too. I don't own a drill, so I guess the question is whether it's cheaper to do that or buy one of the more expensive standalone ones. Hah.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm with Cuban on the bike light guy. He barely flinched when he got the doubled offer. I think he had no intention of making a deal, but then only agreed to the deal to save face. My guess is this will be one of the deals that never officially happens.

I hate O'Leary, but he was right on about Squeaky Knees. I agree that both of them were assholes. What Cuban said wasn't offensive at all. Being a stay at home mom is a difficult job and Cuban was considering it on par with a normal job that someone would have. If he said, "oh you're a stay at home mom, that's no big deal," THAT would have been offensive.

Loved the infectious enthusiasm of the ULace guy. And I want those, because I fucking hate lacing.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I thought the bike guy was just being stoic and listening to all offers hoping for an even better deal. I think he will follow through on the deal. Is there a way to see if the deal is actually finalized in the future?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #46
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I thought the bike guy was just being stoic and listening to all offers hoping for an even better deal. I think he will follow through on the deal. Is there a way to see if the deal is actually finalized in the future?

I am with Stevew and Mark Cuban. I think he knew that was greatly undervaluing his company on purpose, was looking for some PR, and was wasting the time of others. Do not ask for x and get greedy. Don't turn down a deal that offers double what you are seeking if you have no intention of doing a deal in the first place. The guy lives in The Silicon Valley bubble where financing and funding is wacky.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just would have to monitor some of the ST blogs to see. IMO because it was so controversial I bet they use it in an update if it goes down. Would not be surprised if it is in the opening episode this fall(if it happens).

Segment may have been heavily edited for all we know. I also doubt this guy would have an issue getting conventional funding. One of the big bike companies would surely pay him a handsome royalty and use it on high end bikes as an upsell. If youre going 3k on a bike, building this in for $250 more has gotta be an easy upgrade for the high end cyclist.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Only 3 EPs left this season and next week is that kid's episode that I predict is going to be dreadful. I'll be heavy on the FF button.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #49
miked
College Starter

I have no idea what the bike guy was doing, but let's say you were talking to 5 people who were all really in to what you were doing. First person offers you a deal for what you want, second person offers something weird but not terrible, third person offers you double what person 1 offers. Would you not be crazy to want to see if somebody else is willing to go even higher? I know if I got double what I was asking and there were two more enthusiastic people, I just might want to hear what they had to say.

But he could be a mouche (male douche).
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

RE the cupcake raping-

A year after 'Shark Tank' appearance, Wicked Good Cupcakes baking in success - Boston Business Journal

Quote:
Never underestimate the power of a cupcake in a jar.
A year after Tracey Noonan and daughter Danielle Desroches made an appearance on ABC's "Shark Tank," Cohasset-based Wicked Good Cupcakes, which makes and ships cupcakes in jars, has seen growth that would make any startup jealous.
The company was formed after Desroches and Noonan took a cake-decorating class. The mother-and-daughter team started baking and posting photos of their work online. And then it happened: Friends and family were requesting the baked goods, but the problem was that there was no great way to ship them. That's when the idea of placing the cupcakes in jars came in. Not only was it a unique gift, but it was a good way to ship the cupcakes from Massachusetts to other locations. In 2011, they opened a store in Cohasset.
The real momentum in the company's history occurred after a Transportation Security Administration agent at an airport confiscated samples of the cupcakes in a jar and declared that it was a "risk to national security." Orders for the products rose as a result. But it was really an appearance on the ABC show "Shark Tank" that propelled the family run company — which sells cupcakes for $7.05 to $7.45, depending on the flavor — into growth mode. Investor Kevin O'Leary, also known as "Mr. Wonderful" on the show, gave them $75,000 with some strings attached — most notably, a cut of $1 for every cupcake sold until he got his money back (he did within 74 days) and then 45 cents for every cupcake sold in perpetuity.
"The royalty deal has worked great for us," said Tracey Noonan, the CEO of the company. "And that’s ironic because after we aired, I received a ton of emails from people telling me how stupid I was to take that deal."
But the investment worked to expand the scale of the company's operations from a mom-and-pop outfit to a national brand.
"We did a quarter of a million dollars that one week (after "Shark Tank")," said Scott Noonan, Tracey's husband who also acts as chief operating officer for the company. He previously worked as chief technology officer at digital marketing agency Boston Interactive.
"We were trending to do $350,000 in revenue (in 2013)," said Scott Noonan. Instead, the company made $2 million in revenue last year. This year, the Noonans say, the company is on track to generate $3 million in revenue on an average of 19,000 cupcakes sold every month on its website, in its stores and through corporate sales. The company became profitable during the second quarter of 2013.
It's also worked out for O'Leary, who's called the deal one of the best he's ever made.
The Noonans say the company now has 15 full-time employees spread out among their two stores and in a commercial kitchen outside Philadelphia.
Although Wicked Good Cupcakes does the bulk of its sales online, it's opened a brick-and-mortar store at Faneuil Hall in Boston — in addition to its flagship Cohasset location. It's also expanded its product line from just cupcakes. Now, you can buy French macarons (not in jars). And soon, the company will be releasing its 8-ounce cheesecake in a jar, which will sell for about $8.

I forget exactly what their margins were but it still looks like O'Leary is the real king of this deal. He'll make 9-10k per month in pure cash while the company grosses 3M.