Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2022, 07:05 PM   #10751
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting article on excess deaths. There was a May WHO report. Below article talks about some corrections made but it had some nice graphics. China's not on the graphic so if I'm reading it right, it's saying India is the big under reporter of Covid deaths.

COVID death tolls: scientists acknowledge errors in WHO estimates

Quote:
The WHO study released on 5 May had estimated excess death rates — meaning the increase in mortality above expected levels — for 194 countries. The organization reported that between 13.3 million and 16.6 million people had died worldwide from January 2020 to December 2021 because of the pandemic, more than 2.5 times the number of reported COVID-19 deaths. The estimate was more conservative than other analyses of excess deaths (see ‘COVID’s true toll’).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #10752
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Funny story. I got the latest booster a few weeks back. It was the fancy new Pfizer "updated" booster, and my first dose of anything that wasn't Moderna. Back when I got my first vaccine dose, I noted that I had chills, but oddly no fever. I repeatedly checked my temp, but for the most part I was 98ish or even 97ish. It is a simple battery operated thermometer, and the readout changes color to Green, Yellow or Red based on your temp. I'd watch it until it changed colors, and then read it.

Fast forward to this time around. I'm taking my temperature while multitasking, tying my shoes. The thermometer turns green, but I'm busy. I just leave the thermometer in place and carry on. Then it turned Yellow and then red. Finally it beeped. It beeped. In short, that was the day I most recently learned how to take my temperature.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #10753
Edward64
Head Coach

Article talks about latest China outbreak and challenges in containment. My sense is this latest outbreak is more broad than just a big city.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/23/chin...ions-soar.html
Quote:
“China might have already passed the point of no return, as it’s unlikely to achieve zero Covid again without another Shanghai-style hard lockdown,” Hu said in a report Tuesday. “What policymakers could do now is to slow the spread of virus, i.e. flatten the curve, by tightening the Covid controls for the time being.”
But the signs, hints of reopening is what caught my eye. Not sure what the fine-tuning measure are mentioned below. But it wouldn't surprise me if Xi continued with the zero-Covid either. Nice to be king.

Quote:
Hu pointed to slight changes this month in government policy and propaganda as signs authorities are preparing for reopening in the next six to nine months. But he noted that “the road to reopening is set to involve lots of back-and-forth.”
Quote:
Markets have speculated for weeks about the timing of China’s departure from its stringent zero-Covid policy.
Quote:
Beijing has recently shown early signs of willingness to reopen, and it has rolled out some fine-tuning measures, but the reopening may be a prolonged process with discomfort,” Lu said in a separate report this week.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:30 AM   #10754
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Funny story. I got the latest booster a few weeks back. It was the fancy new Pfizer "updated" booster, and my first dose of anything that wasn't Moderna.

Was planning to get my bivalent booster in early Dec but got it yesterday at Publix pharmacy. Like you, I've been a Moderna guy but made a conscious decision to get Pfizer just to change it up some. They gave me my "sticker" but my vaccination card only has room for 4 (front & back) so it's full. Wondering where to put it now. Should have asked for another card.

Like the prior 4 shots, no adverse side effects other than a sore shoulder this morning.

FWIW, I remember a time when you had to go to Dr to get a flu shot, not a pharmacy. This model works pretty well. Publix also gives other vaccination shots, I've been wanting some updates like for Hepatitis.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-24-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:14 AM   #10755
Edward64
Head Coach

Great interview with Fauci.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anthony...pt-11-27-2022/
Quote:
If we get, and this is what I'm hoping for. I'm a cautious optimist. By the time we get to the spring, the level of immunity that's induced by infection, with or without vaccination, with or without boosters, among the entire population is such that the level of severe disease and infection is gonna go way, way down. And you won't require having every four months or so giving somebody a boost.
:
Just like the flu shot, but it's a little bit iffy about that.
Quote:
If you look at where we were a year ago at this time, when Omicron started to surge, we were having 800 to 900,000 infections and three to 4,000 deaths. Today, we had less than 300 deaths. Yesterday, we had 350 deaths, and we're having about 45,000 or anywhere from 27 to 45,000 cases. That is much, much better than we were a year ago. But if you look at it in a vacuum, it's still not a great place to be.
Quote:
And I, and all of my colleagues, keep an absolutely open mind, we've got to investigate every possibility because this is too important not to do that. That's not incompatible with saying the scientific evidence still weighs much more strongly that this is a natural occurrence. You must keep your mind open that it's something other than that.
Quote:
MARGARET BRENNAN: Yeah, and some have argued, it's just that the way the bureaucracy of the communist state works, that it didn't want to allow for embarrassment.

DR. FAUCI: Exactly. It- it- I think you just maybe in two sentences explained a lot that people are spending a half an hour talking about.
:
it's fascinating that, you know, it's the idea of they don't want to be embarrassed. And by not wanting to be embarrassed, it's like shooting yourself in the foot of nobody believing anything you say.
I do think there should be a truly bipartisan investigation on the whole Coronavirus ordeal (and not just Fauci, CDC). There are obviously things that could have been improved on, mistakes made etc. and people (other than Trump) to be held accountable for. Let it all come out.

Quote:
the Republicans, that had they won the Senate, they would be bringing me before the committee that Rand Paul would be- likely would be chairing. That's not going to happen because the Senate is not in the Republican control. But the Republican House has said that they're going to- and that's fine with me.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-28-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #10756
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If they want to form a committee to examine the pandemic response an how we could handle it differently moving forward, fine. It really isn't hard to look at the numbers and see that disinformation from the right is the leading reason why it was worse than needed to be.

The problem is there is no interest from the right to do that. all they want to do is placate their base. Throw them red meat by dragging Fauci to hearings so they can hopefully get a soundbite from him they can distort. McCarthy is spineless, but he isn't stupid, and he knows if he wants to be speaker he will have to allow this to happen despite how bad it makes the caucus look.

Fauci vs. Boebert, Gaetz, MTG, Gym, etc...will be laughable. He will eviscerate them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:06 AM   #10757
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I do think there should be a truly bipartisan investigation on the whole Coronavirus ordeal (and not just Fauci, CDC). There are obviously things that could have been improved on, mistakes made etc. and people (other than Trump) to be held accountable for. Let it all come out.

In a vacuum, in a hypothetical state with a properly functioning government, this sounds like a very reasonable next step. With the asshats running our current show in our current country, it sounds like a pointless nightmare.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #10758
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A root cause analysis and lessons learned so that we can develop a plan for the next pandemic would be a very beneficial thing. I mean, yes, we had a pandemic plan in the past but this would be based off of real world experience and real world conditions - the plan could be greatly improved. Of course, nope, that's not what it's going to be

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #10759
Edward64
Head Coach

I didn't know that China's elderly population was so under vaccinated.

I know some countries (e.g. Indonesia I think) decided to vaccinate the younger pop before the elderly at the beginning, and when vaccines were in short supply. But I would have thought, with China's authoritarian approach, their elderly would have been largely vaccinated by now. In US, the initial 2 dose is 94% for 65+.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/29/chin...two-weeks.html
Quote:
China said 65.8% of people over age 80 have received booster shots, up from 40% as of Nov. 11.

Health authorities also announced a new push to get its elderly population further vaccinated against Covid-19.

When asked in English whether China was reconsidering its Covid policy after the protests, an official simply said they have been monitoring the virus’ development, without further elaboration.
Did some more googling on why. Interesting on the pre-requirements ...

Elderly Chinese Demand Money to Help Make Vaccination Quotas
Quote:
The barriers to elderly people getting immunized are considerable. An announcement issued by China’s National Health Commission on April 1, 2021, stated that people age 60 and over were included in the population suitable for the COVID-19 vaccine. But in practice, elderly people had to pass a general health screening before they could be vaccinated. According to a document published by the People’s Government of Sichuan Province, some of the screening standards included a blood pressure lower than 160/100 and a fasting blood sugar level of less than 250. That excludes a lot of the elderly population. Sixty-seven percent of Chinese people over 60 years old have high blood pressure and nearly 20 percent have diabetes.
Quote:
Another barrier is prevailing distrust of vaccines. A doctor who works in Changzhou, Jiangsu province, and who asked for anonymity said that rumors among the elderly of negative side effects are common—and that changing their minds is nearly impossible. China has a long history of vaccine scandals. Elderly unvaccinated people are also mostly clustered in hard-to-reach rural areas.
Quote:
... they had a very difficult time finding unvaccinated elderly people since the unvaccinated elderly usually live in remote villages.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #10760
QuikSand
lolzcat

an authoritarian government can more expressly engage in the "worth it" calculations that other, more accountable, governments would find repugnant

scarcity of medical treatment resources is a tough situation, both ethically and politically
Old 11-29-2022, 11:09 AM   #10761
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm not sure what thread this goes into, but I am interested to see how Downtown Raleigh is coming back.

When the pandemic hit, a LOT of local lunch places shut down. And when I started back in the office, it was actually mostly boarded up storefronts. It was kind of weird when you noticed it.

And now I am seeing that every single place has construction going on in that "someone is moving in soon" way.

I guess the bean counters looked at the numbers and decided that there is now enough in person work in this mid-sized Southern city to justify building out.

I guess we are back.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #10762
QuikSand
lolzcat

Annapolis feels very much "back" but it's a poor bellwether, I reckon, as it's a destination place rather than a routine place. People just flirting with rejoining social society would go to a place like Annapolis... the nothing-special town 10 miles outside Annapolis is the real place to watch, I think. Mixed bag there, from what I can see around here at least (in a county that had government-mandated masking and the like, and just narrowly re-elected the leader who did all that stuff).
Old 11-29-2022, 11:21 AM   #10763
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Between the tourist appeal, the state government, and the Naval Academy, I've always assumed that Annapolis generally has enough stable revenue streams to be a positive outlier from most other cities/towns (feel free to correct me if I am missing something there).
Old 11-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #10764
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Between the tourist appeal, the state government, and the Naval Academy, I've always assumed that Annapolis generally has enough stable revenue streams to be a positive outlier from most other cities/towns (feel free to correct me if I am missing something there).

Generally true, but even that town really slowed down... once the bank branches and other local business cooled off during the pandemic, and restaurants and bars were either closed or really limited, it got awfully quiet. So it did change, but less than most places, and bounced back more rapidly overall, no surprise.

The state legislature doing a couple years' worth of mainly online meetings/hearings during the winter/springtime sessions also put a dent into the local hospitality industry as well.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #10765
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
In a vacuum, in a hypothetical state with a properly functioning government, this sounds like a very reasonable next step. With the asshats running our current show in our current country, it sounds like a pointless nightmare.

Where's the "like" button so I can mash it multiple times?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #10766
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates - Texas Medical Center

It looks like Houston is about to climb our annual winter surge peak. We've had a nice lull over the past couple of months but that's about to end. Wastewater samples have been going up for a month now and case positivity has jumped from 2.6 to 3.2 to 5.0 over the last 3 weeks. I expect a more gradual climb with another week or two before we get into double digits like we had in 2020 rather than just going vertical like last year (2.8 -> 7.1! -> 17.3!! -> 29.2!!!).

I can't speak to the rest of the country, as the effects have a very local flavor, but here it's very cyclical. We have an acute winter peak with a pretty steady drop off and a more rounded summer peak. Sure, vaccines have introduced some noise, but the pattern is pretty obvious.

SI

Old 12-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #10767
Edward64
Head Coach

One one hand, I wouldn't mind China continuing their self-inflicted economic harm and incenting global manufacturers to share the wealth elsewhere. But on the other hand, it'll be good for majority of the population (... and I can plan to visit China next year).

I read somewhere that China was reaching out to mRNA vaccine providers. I hope that happens as there will likely be an uptick in deaths because of the reopening.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/01/chin...or-change.html
Quote:
“We believe Sun’s speech, in addition to the notable easing of Covid control measures in Guangzhou yesterday, sends yet another strong signal that the zero-Covid policy will end within the next few months,” Nomura’s Chief China Economist Ting Lu and a team said in a report Thursday.

“However, restrictions and lockdowns may not truly moderate before March 2023 due to a likely surge in Covid case numbers and disruption, as the current narrative that Omicron is still very deadly has yet to be changed for a majority of Chinese people, especially those in less developed regions,” the report said.
Quote:
Sun’s description of Omicron followed a comment Tuesday by a Chinese official, citing overseas research, that the share of severe cases and deaths from the Omicron variant are clearly lower than prior variants.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #10768
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I can't speak to the rest of the country, as the effects have a very local flavor, but here it's very cyclical. We have an acute winter peak with a pretty steady drop off and a more rounded summer peak. Sure, vaccines have introduced some noise, but the pattern is pretty obvious.

SI

The hospital tracking in MD is showing the same trend... most facilities are back into their "yellow alert" zone and running short on space.

And just this morning, saw a guy getting grumpy because he was asked to put on a mask at a doctor's office. Because, you know, covid is cancelled.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #10769
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I wonder if we will ever go back to no masks in hospitals or doctors offices. We would all be better off if we don't.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #10770
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I have talked about always wearing a mask when flying, similar to what you see in parts of Asia. Like, it just makes sense - who wants to fly to vacation just to spend the first three days sick and missing everything. That's happened way too often in my life, especially at Christmas.

SI

Old 12-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #10771
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I wonder if we will ever go back to no masks in hospitals or doctors offices. We would all be better off if we don't.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
This got me even as a kid when I would go to the pediatrician and we had to sit in the designated SICK AREA. I mean, thanks -- you're putting all of us in one nice space to spread whatever we have with each other AND to our parents. (I mean, it makes sense for those who are well and don't have to go into that area, at least. But man, good luck to you otherwise.)
Old 12-07-2022, 06:43 AM   #10772
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
One one hand, I wouldn't mind China continuing their self-inflicted economic harm and incenting global manufacturers to share the wealth elsewhere. But on the other hand, it'll be good for majority of the population (... and I can plan to visit China next year).

I read somewhere that China was reaching out to mRNA vaccine providers. I hope that happens as there will likely be an uptick in deaths because of the reopening.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/01/chin...or-change.html

It's happening for real. I personally would have waited until after Chinese New Year because of the expected mass travel will be much greater than past 2 years (what's 2-3 more months?) -- primarily forcing more vaccinations/boosters, getting consistent SOPs in place, creating contingency plans, training more health professionals & maybe building more hospitals in 30 days for the inevitable surges, producing a change campaign (e.g. you asked for it, it's coming, ready or not and btw get vaccinated) etc.

China eases some of its Covid restrictions, in significant step toward reopening | CNN
Quote:
China scraps some of its most controversial Covid rules, in significant step toward reopening

Good luck to the Chinese people. Gonna visit sometime soon.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-07-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #10773
Edward64
Head Coach

I can see an argument parents being very leery. But when it comes down to needing blood for an operation for your child, it's like a no brainer.

Baby whose parents refused vaccinated blood undergoes lifesaving heart surgery | CNN
Quote:
A six-month-old baby whose parents refused to allow him to undergo lifesaving heart surgery using blood from people vaccinated against Covid-19 has been operated on in a New Zealand hospital.

Earlier this week, a judge ruled that the boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, would remain under the court’s guardianship until he had recovered from the surgery.

The court also appointed two doctors as its agents to oversee issues around the operation and the administration of blood, according to court documents.
This part I do wonder. If parents were able to get themselves or their donors lined up to give the right type of blood, why not? Why is it impractical to have a directed donor(s)?

Quote:
The parents previously demanded the blood service take a donation from a person chosen by the family, but the agency refused and said it does not make a distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated donors.

Earlier this week, the court heard that Dr. Kirsten Finucane, the chief pediatric cardiac surgeon at Auckland’s Starship Hospital, had told the parents it was “simply impractical to have a directed donor.”

Finucane had consulted with other experts and found that a cardiac bypass without using blood or blood products would not be an option for the baby’s surgery, the court heard.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-10-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #10774
HerRealName
College Prospect

"Police were called in by the hospital on Thursday after the baby’s parents prevented doctors from taking blood from him for testing, or performing a chest X-ray or an anesthetic assessment, RNZ reported."

I'm sure with the extensive research performed by these parents that they should have been able to perform the surgery themselves. Why not? How is that impractical?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #10775
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The argument I'd go with is that if you start allowing a distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated blood, you add a whole level of work and complexity to surgeries that's completely unnecessary. That's how you destroy public health systems.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #10776
bhlloy
Coordinator

100%. At least in the US directed donor blood is fine (although in my experience they only hold it for a specific recipient for a very short time and only if it’s not urgently needed elsewhere), but I’m guessing that’s not what they were really asking for until they wanted to make a point and make themselves sound more reasonable.

It’s also entirely possible there was a medical reason that blood from a family member wasn’t viable for whatever reason.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #10777
PilotMan
Head Coach

this isn't freedom it's anarchy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #10778
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It's happening for real. I personally would have waited until after Chinese New Year because of the expected mass travel will be much greater than past 2 years (what's 2-3 more months?) -- primarily forcing more vaccinations/boosters, getting consistent SOPs in place, creating contingency plans, training more health professionals & maybe building more hospitals in 30 days for the inevitable surges, producing a change campaign (e.g. you asked for it, it's coming, ready or not and btw get vaccinated) etc.

China eases some of its Covid restrictions, in significant step toward reopening | CNN

Good luck to the Chinese people. Gonna visit sometime soon.

It's only going to get worse with Chinese New Years coming up and the expected weeks long travel period. Other articles are saying China is not prepared for the sudden loosening of restrictions. We've been surprised before but yeah, I would have done more prep.

China's zero-Covid easing: Cases explode in Beijing leaving streets empty and daily life disrupted | CNN
Quote:
Empty streets, deserted shopping centers, and residents staying away from one another are the new normal in Beijing – but not because the city, like many Chinese ones before it, is under a “zero-Covid” lockdown.

This time, it’s because Beijing has been hit with a significant, and spreading, outbreak – a first for the Chinese capital since the beginning of the pandemic, a week after leaders eased the country’s restrictive Covid policy.
Quote:
But for a place that until earlier this month assiduously tracked every case, there is now no clear data on the extent of the virus’ spread. China’s new Covid rules significantly rolled back the testing requirements that once dominated daily life, and residents have instead shifted to using antigen tests at home, when available, leaving official numbers unreliable.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:41 AM   #10779
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

FYI, every US address can get 4 more free tests.

Takes about 30 seconds to sign up:

COVID.gov/tests - Free at-home COVID-19 tests
Old 12-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #10780
Edward64
Head Coach

Damnit, you beat me to it
Old 12-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #10781
QuikSand
lolzcat

At this point, the most reliable measures by far of caseload are by testing wastewater systems... the chronic underreporting and odd testing has broken down as reliable means of detecting spread. That's not a shock, but it's just become harder to convey to a community that they ought to be taking precautions... at one point some people started to comprehend the importance of your local positivity rate, etc - but those metrics are close to useless now, if your main question is "how risky is it to be walking around in the grocery store?" and that makes communicating the risks, when the real answer is "pretty risky, mask up at the very least."

COVID is still pretty serious, even for those without an underlying age or health condition placing them in a vulnerable category. Bringing it to your family and friends, especially those who are vulnerable is a really big deal. Anyone unvaccinated is at greater risk of very serious illness. Long COVID is a serious and sometimes deadly thing affecting a lot of our neighbors and friends and it's still not clear how much long term risk you face with each case, even "minor." The US is still watching a 9/11 worth of our countrymen die from this every week.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #10782
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My wife and I have talked about always wearing a mask when flying, similar to what you see in parts of Asia.

I can't think of anywhere to go that's worth that degree of abject misery. YMMV.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #10783
Kodos
Resident Alien

Potential New Treatment for “Brain Fog” in Long COVID Patients < Yale School of Medicine

Sounds like there is progress in addressing the brain fog issue that so many people who've had Covid experience.

Quote:
While the number of patients they studied is too small for their results to be definitive, Yale researchers—using their extensive experience with two existing medications—have published initial evidence that those drugs, given together, can mitigate or even eliminate brain fog.

Guanfacine, developed in the lab of Amy Arnsten, PhD, Albert E. Kent Professor of Neuroscience and professor of psychology, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of ADHD in 2009, but clinicians have also used it extensively off-label for other prefrontal cortical disorders such as traumatic brain injury (TBI) and PTSD. Now, Arnsten has joined forces with Arman Fesharaki-Zadeh, MD, PhD, assistant professor of psychiatry and of neurology, who has been treating long COVID patients with a combination of guanfacine and N-acetylcysteine (NAC), an anti-oxidant also used for the treatment of TBI. The combined therapy, they found, was successful in relieving brain fog for their small cohort of patients. And while larger, placebo-controlled clinical trials will be needed to establish these drugs as a bona fide treatment for post-COVID-19 neurocognitive deficits, they say patients can obtain them now if their doctors wish to prescribe them.

“There’s a paucity of treatment out there for long COVID brain fog, so when I kept seeing the benefits of this treatment in patients, I felt a sense of urgency to disseminate this information,” says Fesharaki-Zadeh. “You don’t need to wait to be part of a research trial. You can ask your physician—these drugs are affordable and widely available.” Because they are FDA-approved and have been used for years, their safety for patients is established.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-15-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #10784
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
At this point, the most reliable measures by far of caseload are by testing wastewater systems... the chronic underreporting and odd testing has broken down as reliable means of detecting spread. That's not a shock, but it's just become harder to convey to a community that they ought to be taking precautions... at one point some people started to comprehend the importance of your local positivity rate, etc - but those metrics are close to useless now, if your main question is "how risky is it to be walking around in the grocery store?" and that makes communicating the risks, when the real answer is "pretty risky, mask up at the very least."

COVID is still pretty serious, even for those without an underlying age or health condition placing them in a vulnerable category. Bringing it to your family and friends, especially those who are vulnerable is a really big deal. Anyone unvaccinated is at greater risk of very serious illness. Long COVID is a serious and sometimes deadly thing affecting a lot of our neighbors and friends and it's still not clear how much long term risk you face with each case, even "minor." The US is still watching a 9/11 worth of our countrymen die from this every week.

If you have a large enough data set (Houston does but not many places do), then I think case positivity rate is still the best "now" indicator whereas wastewater is a bit of a leading indicator.

hxxps://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/long-covid-an-update-and-gauging (hxxp'd because putting the http caused it to paste the whole thing, somehow)
Also, Katelyn Jetelina (Your Local Epidemiologist) did a follow up on her Long COVID series that, once again, got my wife and I into a lunchtime argument (my wife badly wants to see the positives and reads scientific papers for a living while I'm the stat person in our household who is more pessimistic about this so it leads to all sorts of fun).

Jetelina tries to take the long COVID data and tries to compare it to other risks. She leans on a meta-analysis which is coming in at like a 6% chance of long COVID. However, that 6% number has so much larger error bars than other things like, say, car accidents or dog bites, where there is more concrete data. So you're taking pretty fuzzy data and then trying to compare it to something much more precise. And this is before we get into the other studies that come in a higher 10-30% range for long COVID (Prevalence and Correlates of Long COVID Symptoms Among US Adults | Infectious Diseases | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network 404 - The webpage you are requesting does not exist on the site - Office for National Statistics.

So I get drug into a lunchtime discussion downplaying our risks on faulty data from a spouse who should know better because it's her damn field of expertise. Good times.

Also, if anyone can figure out the dog bite data being referenced - that doesn't make any sense to me. She claims "needing reconstructive surgery after a dog bite: 1 in 400". But that second link shows 337K dog bites in a year, which swags out to a 1 in 1000 risk of getting bit by a dog, if you assume the US population of 332M. It also shows 27K reconstructive surgeries in a year, so that means 1 in 12 chance of needing surgery after getting bit. But then that balloons your odds of needing reconstructive surgery in a year out to 1 in 12K not 1 in 400.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-15-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #10785
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 12-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #10786
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wastewater Viral Load Across City of Houston - Texas Medical Center
Ours are heading that direction but not there yet. Then again, we seem to peak a little later than most places and our numbers top off in early-mid January so so we still have a long way to go.

Covid-19 Positivity Rate Across TMC Hospital Systems - Texas Medical Center
Our case positivity numbers are trending more like 2020 than 2021, but, again, it's early. The number dump next Tuesday should tell us more about which direction it's heading.

SI

Old 12-15-2022, 08:48 PM   #10787
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't know why vaccination rate is so low for one of the most vulnerable groups. Probably a story here on where the breakdown was. Seems kinda late (bivalent booster came out in Sep) but better late than never.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/covi...n-booster.html
Quote:
Less than 50% of nursing home residents, one of the country’s most vulnerable populations to severe illness from Covid-19, have received an omicron booster ahead of an expected wave of infection this winter.

The Biden administration has made increasing booster uptake among nursing home residents a central part of its strategy to prevent a major spike of hospitalizations and death this winter.

“We are working very closely with leadership of nursing homes across America, and we have asked them to step up to do more,” Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House Covid taskforce leader, told reporters during a press briefing Thursday.
:
The American Healthcare Association, which represents nursing homes, asked the Biden administration in November to waive certain restrictions that prevented facility staff from giving the shots to residents. The White House said on Thursday that nursing home staff can now administer the boosters.
:
Nearly 161,000 nursing home residents have died from Covid since the pandemic began, according to data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Nursing home residents represent about 15% of the more than 1 million people who have died from the virus in the U.S. since 2020.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #10788
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't know why vaccination rate is so low for one of the most vulnerable groups.

It's likely the 2nd section you bolded, Edward.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:59 PM   #10789
Edward64
Head Coach

Yes, agreed. I meant why it took so long for approval ... asked in Nov, just got approval today.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #10790
Edward64
Head Coach

I've read similar reports but, although increased deaths is logical from the re-opening, it's still hard to understand the true impact, numbers etc. I guess time will tell (e.g. when excess deaths are calculated).

China shifts how it counts Covid deaths as crematoriums fill up | CNN
Quote:
When CNN visited a major crematorium in Beijing on Tuesday, the parking lot was completely packed, with a long line of cars snaking around the cremation area waiting to get in. Smoke billowed constantly from the furnaces, while yellow body bags piled up inside metal containers.
The low official death rates is because of how it's defined ...

Quote:
Facing growing skepticism that it is downplaying Covid deaths, the Chinese government defended the accuracy of its official tally by revealing it had updated its method of counting fatalities caused by the virus.

According to the latest guidelines from the National Health Commission, only those whose death is caused by pneumonia and respiratory failure after contracting the virus are classified as Covid deaths, Wang Guiqiang, a top infectious disease doctor, told a news conference Tuesday.

Those deemed to have died due to another disease or underlying condition, such as in the event of a heart attack, will not be counted as a virus death, even if they were sick with Covid at the time, he said.

Commenting on China’s criteria of counting Covid deaths on Wednesday, the World Health Organization’s emergencies chief Michael Ryan said the definition was “quite narrow.”
I think I'll wait
Quote:
Gonna visit sometime soon.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-22-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #10791
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
FYI, every US address can get 4 more free tests.

Takes about 30 seconds to sign up:

COVID.gov/tests - Free at-home COVID-19 tests

I just got mine in the mail yesterday.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #10792
QuikSand
lolzcat

In MD, beds committed to acute COVID cases had hovered around 400 for months. This month it has spiked up to 600 or so. Months ahead look kinda grim, as everyone expects the bad/cold weather plus holiday meet-ups will put lots of extra people into confined spaces and that's kindling for this fire we're still feeding.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #10793
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I just got mine in the mail yesterday.

Same.

The government has been pretty efficient in sending these things out
Old 12-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #10794
Edward64
Head Coach

I can believe the nos (for Dec only) but the link is short on details on how it got the "internal minutes". Hard to believe China released this information. It is Reuters, so some credibility there ...

China estimates COVID surge is infecting 37 million people a day - Bloomberg News | Reuters
Quote:
Nearly 37 million people in China may have been infected with COVID-19 on a single day this week, Bloomberg News reported on Friday, citing estimates from the government's top health authority.

About 248 million people, which is nearly 18% of the population, are likely to have contracted the virus in the first 20 days of December, the report said, citing minutes from an internal meeting of China's National Health Commission held on Wednesday.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #10795
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't know if I mentioned this at the time on FOFC, but this is a fairly comprehensive analysis of the cost of remote/hybrid instruction the first two years of COVID closures on schoolkids, particularly those in high-poverty areas.

https://cepr.harvard.edu/files/cepr/...f?m=1651690491

I saw it referenced again in the Twitter Files report on censorship of discussion of COVID, which I also think is a good read.

How Twitter Rigged the Covid Debate

Spoiler Alert: it didn't necessarily start with the Biden administration.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #10796
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It's likely the 2nd section you bolded, Edward.

I don't think that this is really likely going change much of anything. The local departments of health along with the pharmacies that supply nursing homes have been coming in and giving the vaccinations since they hit the market. I would say the percentage of nursing home residents that has not been offered the vaccination is extraordinarily low. I would say zero, but it seems like in my experience we are only offering the vaccinations roughly every 3 months so anyone that came in prior to the last offering would not have been offered it.

The real answer is we can't give these people a vaccination (even the ones that can't speak for themselves) without approval. I'm not going to get into politics here, but you can imagine when you are dealing with an elderly population how they tend to lean politically, and I think you can probably put two and two together. Also keep in mind that if you have to call family for approval you are likely going to be dealing with someone aged say 40-70 and again..you know politics and all. The whole virus just became way too political for the healthcare system to control at this point.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #10797
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Shutting down schools in the spring of 2020 was the right move. Too many unknowns. I was critical of our schools when they reopened early in the fall, but there just weren't that many outbreaks. Kids had it, they traced it and quarantined kids around them, and there were very few shutdowns. It worked. The areas that just decided no schools could open for the entire 20-21 school year screwed up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #10798
Edward64
Head Coach

It's good that we offered to supply mRNA vaccines to China. Not sure what else we can do.

China sees Trojan horse in refused US vaccine offer – Asia Times
Quote:
China will provide its people with domestically-produced Covid booster shots instead of foreign ones, despite the fact that US-made mRNA vaccines have a proven higher protection rate against serious illness and morbidity.
:
Beijing’s official comments on exclusive domestic vaccine use came after the United States proposed on Tuesday to donate Covid vaccines to China while saying viral outbreaks in the country threaten to hurt the global economy.
Sure we probably want to show 'em up. But I'm thinking its more for humanitarian purposes and also to reduce chance for a deadlier mutation.

Quote:
Chinese columnists speculated there was a hidden US agenda behind the proposed donations, including gaining access to now-closed Chinese vaccine markets. Others wrote Washington sought to score a symbolic win vis-a-vis China in the two sides’ competing vaccine diplomacy drives.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #10799
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is interesting:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:24 PM   #10800
Edward64
Head Coach

China is loosening restrictions for citizens to travel outside the country (in addition to foreigners coming in).

I checked the CDC travel website and the rules for inbound are:

Quote:
Air Travel: All non-U.S. citizen, non-U.S. immigrants traveling to the United States by air are required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Only limited exceptions apply. Learn more about this requirement and accepted vaccines.

If you are not fully vaccinated and allowed to travel to the United States by air through an exception, you will be required to sign an attestation (legal statement) before you board your flight to the United States stating you meet the exception. Depending on the type of exception, you may also have to state you have arranged to take certain protective measures.

It also shows Chinese vaccines Sinovac/Sinopharm are approved/accepted. TBH I'd feel a lot better if we required the western vaccines.