Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #1501
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Also don´t see anyone blaming Courtois if he we were to commit a blunder. What´s his allegiance supposed to be for a club he has never played for ?

It would be sickening if he did purposely commit a blunder to aid Chelsea, but I don't think we'll see it. He's seemed pretty adamant that he wants the #1 shirt at Chelsea. I believe there's been veiled threats at times: "Start me in 2014/15 or sell me" type of stuff.

Either way, I think this is going to be a dreadful semi-final. An absolute war of attrition.

Jose vs. Real is really what I'm hoping for in the final at this point.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #1502
The Jackal
Coordinator

Will Arsenal further their collapse against Wigan? I sure hope not.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #1503
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
He was always free to play against Chelsea if they paid up. The Chelsea CEO has not mentioned anything about clauses, and I suspect that there will be arguments behind closed doors this week.

I suspect that next season we will have a rule banning players appearing against their parent club in the Champions League, much like they do in the Premier League.

That isn't a 'rule' - its an optional clause which can be added when the loan is undertaken.

Generally in the Premiership its put into place because it might make the manager look bad ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #1504
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
That isn't a 'rule' - its an optional clause which can be added when the loan is undertaken.

Generally in the Premiership its put into place because it might make the manager look bad ...

It's definitely a rule in the Premiership.

http://www.premierleague.com/content...ok-2013-14.pdf

Page 194, V.7.2
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #1505
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Will Arsenal further their collapse against Wigan? I sure hope not.

Well it's looking that way now.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #1506
kingfc22
Head Coach

Now win this match.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #1507
TroyF
Coordinator

Horrible, but a win is a win. After the last few months, I'll take it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #1508
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
It's definitely a rule in the Premiership.

http://www.premierleague.com/content...ok-2013-14.pdf

Page 194, V.7.2

True I'd forgotten that for the Premiership (and not other leagues) it was commuted into an 'official' rule.

(makes note to update FMH )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #1509
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
The last time UEFA expressed an opinion on loan players playing against their former club was back in July, when Elfsborg fielded a Celtic player against Celtic and they said the following:

(emphasis added)

So when the competition started, parent clubs forbidding their loanees to play against them was not enforceable by UEFA, but also not "a clear violation of both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations" unless UEFA think they only need to consider their own regulations once the knockout stages start. Either they were being idiots in July, or they're mouthing off ad hoc with no explicit text to back them. If it's the latter, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to happen with Courtois. On the one hand, this would be a silly reason for one of the world's best keepers to miss the CL semifinal. On the other hand, whether UEFA are selectively enforcing their own rules or changing the rules on the fly, it's not good behavior on their part and I'm not at all happy that my club's the one whose life gets harder because of it.

If he does play, I'd expect him to do an excellent job, both out of professionalism and in order to show Mourinho & Chelsea fans who he thinks should be starting for the club next season.
I feel sorry for the Chelsea fans, but the organization isn't popular across Europe.

For nearly a decade, I think Chelsea is possibly the most disliked football club in Europe for their people management and playing style. José Mourinho's reputation hasn't helped, of course, but I think it goes beyond that. There's no way to save face here for Chelsea, putting players in places all over Europe (on loan?), creating these awkward situations. Today it's Atletico Madrid, but next season it's some other club.

The KNVB (Dutch FA) is investigating a situation with Vitesse, which is heavily supported by Chelsea with loaned players, some media even claim that Chelsea co-owns Vitesse, but there's never been any open or official news about that. Vitesse had been on pace for clinching a Champions' League spot, but stories are leaking that loaned players are being pushed to tank and to not qualify for the Champions' League, to avoid awkward situations for Chelsea. Article from the BBC: BBC Sport - Chelsea: Vitesse Arnhem links investigated by Dutch FA
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #1510
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Horrible, but a win is a win. After the last few months, I'll take it.

This. I've heard that some people were criticizing the players for celebrating a victory over Wigan. That's so stupid. The team has been decimated with injuries and confidence is at a season-low - it was great to see them excited.

It's an uphill battle to stay in the Champions League but they do have a run of beatable opponents.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #1511
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Luis Suarez is fucking despicable.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #1512
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So City is denied a penalty and the bucktoothed cunt should be off.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1513
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Another penalty denied.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #1514
cougarfreak
College Starter

Liverpool takes over the drivers seat today! Chelsea still right there with them.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #1515
MrBug708
Head Coach

Crystal Palace isn't in the bottom 3?

Stunned!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #1516
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
The KNVB (Dutch FA) is investigating a situation with Vitesse, which is heavily supported by Chelsea with loaned players, some media even claim that Chelsea co-owns Vitesse, but there's never been any open or official news about that. Vitesse had been on pace for clinching a Champions' League spot, but stories are leaking that loaned players are being pushed to tank and to not qualify for the Champions' League, to avoid awkward situations for Chelsea. Article from the BBC: BBC Sport - Chelsea: Vitesse Arnhem links investigated by Dutch FA

My understanding is that Vitesse are owned by a friend of Abramovich named Alexander Chigirinsky, who stayed in the shadows for a while after putting the money up to buy the club, with the result that a lot of rumors started about Abramovich owning them because someone had to have funded the new owners and the club had gotten very cosy with Chelsea right at the same time.

The claim that Chelsea are pushing their players not to qualify for the CL has, so far, only been advanced by Merab Jordania, Chigirinsky's former front man at Vitesse, who has also been in the news recently for threatening to cut off the current Vitesse CEO's fingers
(article from a Chelsea blog with links to a couple of Dutch sources). It's a serious enough charge that the KNBV do need to investigate, but given that the source is one man with a giant grudge over being forced out of the club, who's been acting irrationally on other fronts and has a dodgy previous legal history including being arrested for tax evasion and embezzlement, this isn't the most credible accusation Chelsea have had thrown at them.

It's also an implausible one on a footballing level. Being able to offer loan CL football to prospects would be great for Chelsea both for developing the prospects they already have and for recruiting new ones. What problem would Vitesse being in the CL present to outweigh that? Chelsea could avoid the current Courtois situation quite easily by just letting loanees play against us - makes the players happier, makes Vitesse happier, and Chelsea should be able to beat Vitesse anyways because Vitesse are getting players who still have something to learn from the Eredivisie and are therefore unlikely to win a CL match single-handed.

TLDR that would be a stupid and amoral thing for Chelsea to do and I'm glad that the source is dubious enough that I don't have to think they're doing it.

I snipped the rest of your post because I agree with pretty much all of it. The current Chelsea management structure seems very good at exploiting the system from within its legal limits, which is a nice trait from a fan's perspective but not going to win us a whole lot of sympathy from anyone else, and the Courtois situation's a fine example of it. I'd have zero issue with UEFA issuing a ruling over the summer saying that clubs can't have any clause in a loan/transfer contract which would influence who plays in a UEFA competition, I just object to their preventing it by ad hoc bullshit.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #1517
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Crystal Palace isn't in the bottom 3?

Stunned!

If it wasnt for Brendan Rodgers, Tony Pulis would be a good bet for manager of the year. The turnaround since he got there is amazing.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #1518
Andreh
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Luis Suarez is fucking despicable.

He should have gotten a 4 year international ban for what he did to Ghana. The same Thierry Henry, after that pathetic hand goal, ho could he be allowed to play the WC?

About the loan thing, aint that just unfair play. He is loaned, let him play. Hate those contracts.
Andreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #1519
Critch
lolzcat

Sounds like Yaya Toure is out for the season, and Diego Costa may have broken his leg. So that'll shake up a couple of championship run-ins.

Edit - Now they're saying Costa may just have a cut on his knee. Looked worse in real time.

Last edited by Critch : 04-13-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #1520
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
My understanding is that Vitesse are owned by a friend of Abramovich named Alexander Chigirinsky, who stayed in the shadows for a while after putting the money up to buy the club, with the result that a lot of rumors started about Abramovich owning them because someone had to have funded the new owners and the club had gotten very cosy with Chelsea right at the same time.

The claim that Chelsea are pushing their players not to qualify for the CL has, so far, only been advanced by Merab Jordania, Chigirinsky's former front man at Vitesse, who has also been in the news recently for threatening to cut off the current Vitesse CEO's fingers
(article from a Chelsea blog with links to a couple of Dutch sources). It's a serious enough charge that the KNBV do need to investigate, but given that the source is one man with a giant grudge over being forced out of the club, who's been acting irrationally on other fronts and has a dodgy previous legal history including being arrested for tax evasion and embezzlement, this isn't the most credible accusation Chelsea have had thrown at them.

It's also an implausible one on a footballing level. Being able to offer loan CL football to prospects would be great for Chelsea both for developing the prospects they already have and for recruiting new ones. What problem would Vitesse being in the CL present to outweigh that? Chelsea could avoid the current Courtois situation quite easily by just letting loanees play against us - makes the players happier, makes Vitesse happier, and Chelsea should be able to beat Vitesse anyways because Vitesse are getting players who still have something to learn from the Eredivisie and are therefore unlikely to win a CL match single-handed.

TLDR that would be a stupid and amoral thing for Chelsea to do and I'm glad that the source is dubious enough that I don't have to think they're doing it.

I snipped the rest of your post because I agree with pretty much all of it. The current Chelsea management structure seems very good at exploiting the system from within its legal limits, which is a nice trait from a fan's perspective but not going to win us a whole lot of sympathy from anyone else, and the Courtois situation's a fine example of it. I'd have zero issue with UEFA issuing a ruling over the summer saying that clubs can't have any clause in a loan/transfer contract which would influence who plays in a UEFA competition, I just object to their preventing it by ad hoc bullshit.
Ah yes, the cutting off fingers story. We (I) do need to realize that Vitesse has a history of ownership craziness, going strong for over 20 years now. I can understand that you're waiving the claims away, with lack of better sources. I hope they're not true either, it would be another big hit to the credibility of the soccer world in general.

Then problematic part is that if Chelsea and Vitesse have the same owner(s), which is under investigation, then those owners would have to choose between Chelsea and Vitesse for signing up for the Champions' League.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 04-14-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #1521
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW, I don't think it's just Chelsea. The European top clubs are covering each other, knowing very well what they're doing. FC Barcelona got the first transfer ban for the dirty business, that we all know a lot of clubs have made themselves accustomed with.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #1522
Critch
lolzcat

On the vaguely Dutch football theme:

Pick that out.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #1523
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's a hell of a strike, and from what appears to be a fullback, no less.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #1524
Grover
Pro Starter

Matty Jarvis, get in! COYI!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #1525
Grover
Pro Starter

And my joy is shortlived.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #1526
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
That's a hell of a strike, and from what appears to be a fullback, no less.
Yup, right side fullback. I saw him play live in a stadium and can say he's the type of player that is a joy to watch. Daryl Janmaat hopefully will be the guy wearing the orange #2 jersey at the upcoming world cup. Although with Gregory van der Wiel there's a quality alternative.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #1527
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yup, right side fullback. I saw him play live in a stadium and can say he's the type of player that is a joy to watch. Daryl Janmaat hopefully will be the guy wearing the orange #2 jersey at the upcoming world cup. Although with Gregory van der Wiel there's a quality alternative.

Who is the top spot for the left back spot on that team? Is it someone like Blind or Willems or could Martins Indi even move over there to anchor it?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #1528
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
And my joy is shortlived.

Sorry buddy.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #1529
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

MIJB - the Guardian has as their "World Cup Moment", #10, the 1988 strike from Bergkamp to win over Argentina. I had forgotten how unbelievable that strike was.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #1530
Grover
Pro Starter

This 30/30 on Hillsborough is absolutely heartwrenching.

I've teared up a few times.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #1531
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Yup, right side fullback. I saw him play live in a stadium and can say he's the type of player that is a joy to watch. Daryl Janmaat hopefully will be the guy wearing the orange #2 jersey at the upcoming world cup.

There seems to be a lot of press rumors that Janmaat has turned down a contract extension with Feyenoord and will be signing for Arsenal this summer.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #1532
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

It amazes me sometimes now people pretend that bad things won't happen despite the fact that any type of common sense could almost prevent entirely.

I will also never understand why concerts, events, etc. use open seating. I don't understand how people could not look at those situations and not see what could happen.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #1533
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
It amazes me sometimes now people pretend that bad things won't happen despite the fact that any type of common sense could almost prevent entirely.

I will also never understand why concerts, events, etc. use open seating. I don't understand how people could not look at those situations and not see what could happen.

It amazes me that they were able to blame all of the people for this when it was quite obvious the stadium, police, etc were completely at fault.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #1534
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

Add me to this.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #1535
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Who is the top spot for the left back spot on that team? Is it someone like Blind or Willems or could Martins Indi even move over there to anchor it?
Jetro Willems picked up a big knee injured against Feyenoord and will miss the World Cup. Blind and Martins Indi are the front runners now, I'm hoping for Martins Indi, as we could really use Blind in midfield at the spot of Kevin Strootman. But Martins Indi is also in the running for central defender. Maybe Alexander Büttner or Erik Pieters can make the team, at least they play at a better club level than all the Eredivisie options.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #1536
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
MIJB - the Guardian has as their "World Cup Moment", #10, the 1988 strike from Bergkamp to win over Argentina. I had forgotten how unbelievable that strike was.
I suspect that had Dennis Bergkamp not played in the Premier League in 1998, that goal wouldn't have made that list of 25 moments. It was a phenomenal goal though, a typical Bergkamp goal and a World Cup classic for Oranje.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #1537
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jetro Willems picked up a big knee injured against Feyenoord and will miss the World Cup. Blind and Martins Indi are the front runners now, I'm hoping for Martins Indi, as we could really use Blind in midfield at the spot of Kevin Strootman. But Martins Indi is also in the running for central defender. Maybe Alexander Büttner or Erik Pieters can make the team, at least they play at a better club level than all the Eredivisie options.

No Giliano Wijnaldum yet?

He's wayyyy outperforming his ratings for me in FM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #1538
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A late goal by Gareth Bale gives RM the Copa Del Rey over Barcelona.

Here's a GIF:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-16-2014 at 04:35 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #1539
TroyF
Coordinator

Everton with a huge upset loss today. The battle for fourth now looks like this:

Arsenal: 67 points
Everton: 66 points

Arsenal remaining: @Hull, Newcastle, West Brom, @Norwitch City
Everton remaining: ManU, @Southampten, ManCity, @Hull

I can't believe I'll be cheering for ManU this weekend. I feel kind of sick.

It's been a brutal, gut wrenching month and a half, but everything is set up if Arsenal really want it. They can end the year 4th again and end the trophy drought. Or they fall apart and end it with nothing and the Europa league.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #1540
The Jackal
Coordinator

Hopefully confidence will be brimming with the slate of opponents left. Can't look past any of them, but all beatable if they are motivated out there. Having Koscielny and Ramsey back is massive. And potentially ozil!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #1541
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A late goal by Gareth Bale gives RM the Copa Del Rey over Barcelona.

Here's a GIF:

as a Tottenham fan, I really miss watching him..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #1542
Andreh
n00b

that was a hell of a goal, specially clinching the title against the arch rival
Andreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #1543
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Bale is such a physical freak. Crazy strength and pace on that goal.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #1544
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's a truly ridiculous goal.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #1545
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - and I can't tell who that defender is, but IMO he should have received a yellow (though the ref should have played the advantage) for what is clearly a blatant attempt to obstruct Bale. At one point they're both clearly 5 yards from the ball and he's still pushing Bale out of bounds. I get that defenders have tough jobs, but this kind of obstruction without any intent to play the ball happens far too much without penalty.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #1546
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, watching that, just ... damn.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #1547
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
dola - and I can't tell who that defender is, but IMO he should have received a yellow (though the ref should have played the advantage) for what is clearly a blatant attempt to obstruct Bale. At one point they're both clearly 5 yards from the ball and he's still pushing Bale out of bounds. I get that defenders have tough jobs, but this kind of obstruction without any intent to play the ball happens far too much without penalty.

Just curious. Obviously, the ref was letting the guy play on through the play and so he didn't call the foul. Even after the play is completed, can the ref then go back and assess a yellow card on that player for what was obviously a foul, regardless of whether the play ends in a goal or not?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #1548
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just curious. Obviously, the ref was letting the guy play on through the play and so he didn't call the foul. Even after the play is completed, can the ref then go back and assess a yellow card on that player for what was obviously a foul, regardless of whether the play ends in a goal or not?

Yep- and a good ref will.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #1549
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yep- and a good ref will.

Yes, and to be fair, I've now watched the play from another angle (the reverse angle) and it's much, much less of an obstruction than it looks like in that gif. For instance, what looks like the defender making a final shove on Bale is actually the defender's plant foot slipping.

Mea culpa.

It reminds me of a time (years ago) that a buddy and I were watching a Serie A* game that Pierluigi Collina was reffing. We were huge Collina fans and considered him one of the best, if not the best, ref in the world, but it appeared as we watched the game that he made 3 or 4 absolute howlers. At the end of the game they replayed the key incidents in slow-mo and it was clear he made the exact right call each and every time.

So yeah, refs have a tough job. I also miss Collina reffing games. He had a great stare.

*on Football Italiano with James Richardson, for you UK-types (in the late-90s).
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #1550
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, Cardiff are claiming that their 3-0 loss to Crystal Palace shouldn't count because an ex-Cardiff guy (now working for Crystal Palace) got the starting lineups from Cardiff folks days before the game.