Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #1751
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Damn, Atletico allready with 2 injuries in the game with both Turan and Diego Costa having to go off ...

Yeah - going to be impressive if they can manage to pull it off!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #1752
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hull now have gotten away with two clear penalties. Clear hand ball to deflect a corner and a take down of Cazorla.

EDIT: I'll call it even now. Scoring off a corner that wasn't a corner.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 05-17-2014 at 12:33 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #1753
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Final from the Nou Camp - Atletico Madrid take La Liga!!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #1754
AlexB
Pro Starter

Pretty cool reaction at the Nou Camp: Barca fans immediately give Atletico a standing ovation on the final whistle. Very classy.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #1755
whomario
Pro Starter

Nice one for Athletico

Now Dortmund need to win the cup final. Hope they take the game to Bayern again.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #1756
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Now Dortmund need to win the cup final. Hope they take the game to Bayern again.

Live on ESPN3, if anybody is interested.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #1757
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Kudo's to Arsenal on winning the FA Cup - fantastic final, exciting to the last kick ... both sides played fantastically well and it was incredibly close, with Hull nearly equalizing right at the end.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #1758
whomario
Pro Starter

German Cup final was great as well. It wasn´t a great game for the casual observer i guess, but both teams played an amazing game in terms of effort and tactical performance. Both made it very difficult for the other to get breathing room and such there was not a whole lot of goal scoring oportunities. Both teams were ready to go to the limit and beyond, some spectacular physical performances.
Not unlike a really good heavy weight fight in boxing.

Robben and Müller scored in Overtime to make it 2:0.

For Bayern, Guardiola pulled a rabbit out of the hat by switching up his tactics to a hybrid of sorts. Really no striker with Robben up front a lot of the time (by this they also freed him from having to battle his nemesis of Schmelzer/Großkreutz all game) and at the back it was 3 CBs in Boateng, Dante and most importantly Martinez, who played an incredible game. It was obvious all year that he struggled a lot in what is not a system made for his strengths (and having started the year injured), but he is one of the best at what he does. I am not sure there is a better player when getting to play in a "anchor man" type role where he is tasked to taking away the other teams passing lanes.
Yesterday he basically played like a Libero of old and was spectacular.

Guardiola also started Right Back Rafinha on the left and 17 year old Hojbjerg on the right. Both were essentially midfielders and added consistent outlet options for the defense and the central midfielder.

For Dortmund, the effort was perfectly fine, they just were half a step slow too often. Lewandowski put in an admirable effort in his last game, going 1:3 with Munichs CBs and clawing for every inch all game long. Young CM Milos Jojic also put in a nice effort, as did the whole defensive line.

Unfortunately, the game was somewhat marred by a not-given goal. Hummels (who might have been half an inch offside) had a header cleared off the line. Only it was pretty obvious it was in. Boateng had his foot on the line when his other cleared the ball clearly behind him.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-18-2014 at 04:36 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #1759
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Nope - Foz is misrepresenting our conversation to make my position seem more extreme than it actually is (and also claiming as "his argument" some of the things that I explicitly brought up as acknowledged issues with Serie A). See my post.

Noted. I definitely think there's more parity in the EPL than most of the European leagues, but looking at the bottom of Serie A those teams would probably do well against the relegated teams of the EPL.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #1760
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Noted. I definitely think there's more parity in the EPL than most of the European leagues, but looking at the bottom of Serie A those teams would probably do well against the relegated teams of the EPL.

Its incredibly hard to compare soccer leagues as each has their own distinct flavor of play - the EPL for instance is far more physical and higher tempo generally than most of the European leagues which are generally more tactical and technical.

In the 'main' most of the top European leagues are around the same standard overall (England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France) - what differs is the style and the overall balance in the divisions (i.e. how many teams within a league truly have a chance of winning the division or making Europe etc.).

Its the same sort of thing with International football in my opinion - the European countries tend to come in and out of vogue as they gain or lose a crop of quality players, its not 'that' long ago that France was dominant ... at the moment its Spain, in a few years probably increasingly Germany - after that who knows ...).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-18-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #1761
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Kudo's to Arsenal on winning the FA Cup - fantastic final, exciting to the last kick ... both sides played fantastically well and it was incredibly close, with Hull nearly equalizing right at the end.

Well, at least us Arsenal fans don't have to hear the 9 years BS anymore. We'll see what the future brings in terms of transfer spending and net payroll, but the simple reality is Arsenal have been sensational at doing what they do with the funds they have. spent. 18th in the EPL in net spend over the last 5 years. Yet top 4 every year, knockout stages of the CL every year. . . jeez, how horrible this team is. Would love to see the chosen one have to succeed with those type of funds.

Read an article last night about how Arsenal should enjoy this because they are still miles off of being great.

I thought that was funny. Walcott, Wilshire, Ramsey, Ox all missed major portions of the season. And it was a 7 point gap against a team like City who spent with a fire hose?

I don't think Arsenal will win the EPL next year, but I do think they will finally jump beyond fourth. Obviously, as always, injuries play a role, but it doesn't appear anyone high profile is taking off (beyond Sagna, but that's been expected no matter how many people think otherwise) My guess is next year Ox is going to become a full time central mid. That means the team will look something like this:

GK Sczezny - ???
LB - Gibbs, Monreal
CB - Kochielny, Mert (A couple of squad players likely added here as I'm guessing Vermalaen is gone)
RB - Jenkensin - signing
MC - Ramsey, Ox, Wilshire, Arteta, Zaleam (at least in cup fixtures),Arteta
Wingers/AMC: Ozil, Walcott, Poldoski, Cazorla, Rosicky
ST - Giroud, Sanogo

That's 19 guys, plus some signings. With the improvement we should see from some of that group up there, I think they have a chance to be pretty good next year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #1762
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

YIKES! Hope everything is ok:

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 1m
La Liga match between Osasuna & Real Betis suspended after partial collapse of stand #SSN
Expand
Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #1763
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Well, at least us Arsenal fans don't have to hear the 9 years BS anymore. We'll see what the future brings in terms of transfer spending and net payroll, but the simple reality is Arsenal have been sensational at doing what they do with the funds they have. spent. 18th in the EPL in net spend over the last 5 years. Yet top 4 every year, knockout stages of the CL every year. . . jeez, how horrible this team is. Would love to see the chosen one have to succeed with those type of funds.

Read an article last night about how Arsenal should enjoy this because they are still miles off of being great.

I thought that was funny. Walcott, Wilshire, Ramsey, Ox all missed major portions of the season. And it was a 7 point gap against a team like City who spent with a fire hose?

I don't think Arsenal will win the EPL next year, but I do think they will finally jump beyond fourth. Obviously, as always, injuries play a role, but it doesn't appear anyone high profile is taking off (beyond Sagna, but that's been expected no matter how many people think otherwise) My guess is next year Ox is going to become a full time central mid. That means the team will look something like this:

GK Sczezny - ???
LB - Gibbs, Monreal
CB - Kochielny, Mert (A couple of squad players likely added here as I'm guessing Vermalaen is gone)
RB - Jenkensin - signing
MC - Ramsey, Ox, Wilshire, Arteta, Zaleam (at least in cup fixtures),Arteta
Wingers/AMC: Ozil, Walcott, Poldoski, Cazorla, Rosicky
ST - Giroud, Sanogo

That's 19 guys, plus some signings. With the improvement we should see from some of that group up there, I think they have a chance to be pretty good next year.

I rate Jenkinson, but he isn't ready to be first choice RB for a BPL/Champs League contender. I'd say priority for the summer is a starting caliber RB, a second striker who can rotate with Giroud, impact winger, and depth at CB. Which means we'll end up with 3 youth signings...
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #1764
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I rate Jenkinson, but he isn't ready to be first choice RB for a BPL/Champs League contender. I'd say priority for the summer is a starting caliber RB, a second striker who can rotate with Giroud, impact winger, and depth at CB. Which means we'll end up with 3 youth signings...

I agree fully on Jenk. We need a better RB. I think at winger we need some more speed on the left. Walcott, a speedster on the left to go with Ozil and Giroud would be very pleasing.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #1765
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post

How about a striker for Giroud to rotate with instead? Giroud just doesn't cut it for big games. He's very good but not great.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #1766
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cambridge United are back in the Football League, after nearly a decade out, beating Gateshead 2-1 in the Conference Playoff Final. Woo!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #1767
Critch
lolzcat

No AC Milan in Europe next year, it'll leave them plenty of free Wednesday nights for "lucrative" friendlies against Man Utd.

And well done to Hamburg, another season of being the only team to have played every year in the Bundesliga. Drew 1-1 at Greuther Fuerth to win the relegation playoff on away goals. It was real hanging on for dear life in the secons half. Unless HSV seriously improve, they'll be a good bet for relegation next year.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #1768
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

3rd team in European history to break the century-mark in a 38 game season. 2nd only to Celtic's 103 point season (Benfica had a 101 point season to come in 3rd on the list).

BOOYA!!!

Oh, and Pirlo is now within 3 FK goals of overtaking Mihajlovic for the all-time Serie A lead.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-18-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #1769
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Re Arsenal:

I think the team can make do with Jenkinson at RB if it had to. Frankly, I'm not sure there's a RB out there which can meet Arsenal's current playing style at times, which more often than not seems to be "pass the ball to Sagna and let him hoof it in".

Key transfers to me would be:

a) a better striker: Giroud isn't horrible but he isn't a player that will win games for you. His form when players like Ramsey and Walcott were all out shows his limitations since he needs people to play off him. He would be a very good 2nd choice though;

b) a good/great defensive midfielder. Arteta has lost the pace for the top level and his replacement is needed;

c) another good CB who is young. Mert is getting older and this would be the eventual replacement;

d) a direct winger.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #1770
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
3rd team in European history to break the century-mark in a 38 game season. 2nd only to Celtic's 103 point season (Benfica had a 101 point season to come in 3rd on the list).
To be fair, most leagues in Europe don't have a 38-game schedule, otherwise several other clubs would have done it before. With Celtic and Benfica being the other two, it basically shows how weak the rest of the Serie A has become. It doesn't take away that Juventus had a strong league run.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #1771
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, and Pirlo is now within 3 FK goals of overtaking Mihajlovic for the all-time Serie A lead.

This is good news as I intensely dislike Mihajlovic.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #1772
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
This is good news as I intensely dislike Mihajlovic.

Gah...I think it's back up to 4 now? Some indecision over whether his goal ends up being credited as an OG (hit off the keeper's back as it was coming down off his fingertips) or not.

But yes - Mihajlovic was a thug and is pretty scummy.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #1773
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Yaya Toure considering leaving Manchester City 'because the club failed to wish him happy birthday'

Sure it won't happen, but that this has any credibility is ridiculous.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 05-20-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #1774
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Supposedly Man Utd have given Van Gaal 150M (pounds) for transfers this summer. Spend it wisely and they could probably have the 2nd deepest / 2nd most talented squad after City (though if Jose gets a top-flight striker or two Chelsea could also be in the conversation; also Liverpool is a dark horse but probably don't have that money to spend and have almost 0 depth currently).
Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #1775
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Supposedly Man Utd have given Van Gaal 150M (pounds) for transfers this summer. Spend it wisely and they could probably have the 2nd deepest / 2nd most talented squad after City (though if Jose gets a top-flight striker or two Chelsea could also be in the conversation; also Liverpool is a dark horse but probably don't have that money to spend and have almost 0 depth currently).
The part I like the most is that Ryan Giggs sticks around as assistant manager.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #1776
The Jackal
Coordinator

Arsenal could use Yaya. We'd wish him happy birthday.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #1777
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Paul Scholes:

Quote:
Edward Woodward has an awful lot to prove this time that he’s good enough at his job. He has to bring the players in that the new manager wants. It’s obvious that last year he didn’t manage to do that. If he doesn’t we are not going to get anywhere near the top.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #1778
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll be in Vegas this weekend.

If I assume the odds to go with Brazil or Spain for the World Cup is just little gain to be worth the risk, what other teams would you put money down on?

I was thinking maybe Germany, but not too sure who else.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #1779
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I wouldn't do Uruguay anymore as it looks like Luis Suarez is injured.

Germany and Argentina are other decent bets, probably the former more than the latter.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #1780
The Jackal
Coordinator

Belgium could be an interesting one. I'd think they should win their group comfortably, and from there who knows how the matchups could fall.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #1781
bhlloy
Coordinator

Personally, I'd stay away from all the northern European nations so wouldn't consider Belgium or Germany a good bet. Just can't see anyone outside of Brazil, Spain or Argentina (with Uruguay an outside chance if Suarez is fit)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #1782
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I have a Spain-Germany final and I'm sticking with it!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #1783
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm predicting Spain will fall apart and crash out in the group stage.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #1784
Grover
Pro Starter

David Moyes investigated by police over alleged bar assault | Football | theguardian.com

I hear every cross he threw missed its intended target.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #1785
Grover
Pro Starter

and Landon Donovan will not be going to Brazil.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #1786
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

That seems crazy to me, but I'll admit I'm not the most up to date on things. Just seems like if for no other reason, you'd want his experience off the bench as a substitute or as a team leader.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #1787
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Klinsmann making a power play that no one person is bigger than the team and if you're going to commit, you do it fully. That said, this is shocking as hell to me.

Last edited by rowech : 05-22-2014 at 05:16 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #1788
Grover
Pro Starter

It's crazy, but I understand it.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #1789
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'll be in Vegas this weekend.

If I assume the odds to go with Brazil or Spain for the World Cup is just little gain to be worth the risk, what other teams would you put money down on?

I was thinking maybe Germany, but not too sure who else.

Argentina has a good draw and great travel situation.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #1790
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
That seems crazy to me, but I'll admit I'm not the most up to date on things. Just seems like if for no other reason, you'd want his experience off the bench as a substitute or as a team leader.

It's crazy. Not necessarily earth-shattering, but pretty fucking crazy. No way it would happen if Klinsmann didn't already have a contract taking him through the 2018 World Cup.

It's actually drawing a lot of attention away from a couple other really dubious roster decisions, so maybe it's working as intended.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #1791
MrBug708
Head Coach

My preliminary take is that Klinsi or others in the program are veiewing 2014 as a lost cause and trying to set up a core of Bradley, Jozy, Johansson, Green, Brooks, Chandler/Yedlin and Fabian for 2018. Dempsey and Jones are on the plane to keep us from getting embarrassed.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #1792
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
My preliminary take is that Klinsi or others in the program are veiewing 2014 as a lost cause and trying to set up a core of Bradley, Jozy, Johansson, Green, Brooks, Chandler/Yedlin and Fabian for 2018. Dempsey and Jones are on the plane to keep us from getting embarrassed.

Which is horeshit in my opinon, and why you don't sign a coach to an extension that runs through the next world cup. It screws with his decision making. You go to win this time, not think about what might happen 4 years from now.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #1793
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

*staring at twitter intensifies*
Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #1794
MrBug708
Head Coach

Saw the reports on Jurgen's kid's post
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #1795
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Which is horeshit in my opinon, and why you don't sign a coach to an extension that runs through the next world cup. It screws with his decision making. You go to win this time, not think about what might happen 4 years from now.

Bingo on both accounts. If we're going with the youth movement and don't cafe about 2014 then why weren't these players getting key experience during the hex.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #1796
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess I see it a little differently. I think Donovan has been playing pretty poor this year. He just hasn't found his stride and his body isn't really working all that well either. I remember back in '06 when Reyna was the big star leading the team. He was the same age and rough experience as Donovan. He was awful. He was old, slow and just couldn't make it in the big time anymore.

Klinsmann at the least knows that these games are going to be super physical in the heat. He knows that youth is probably better served and he knows that he has to make the move some time.

Now, there could be loads of political crap behind it, but at least my justification makes some sense.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #1797
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

I'm just pumped I don't have to watch Edu constantly pass the ball to the wrong team this go around.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #1798
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Admittedly, I pay serious attention to soccer one month every four years. But I have read a lot about the team and watched a few of the qualifiers.

I don't understand this decision. To say there's no room on the 23-man for someone who has that experience and apparently is in decent shape and working hard? If only because he's the first guy you'd want to substitute in down 2-0 ten minutes into the second half. It's hard to create goals in those situations - that's when the experience pays off.

So, yeah, it does sound like he's admitting the team doesn't have much of a chance of getting out of its group this time. But how much experience will the depths of a 23-man roster receive in just three matches?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #1799
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm 100% with Pilot on both accounts.

Simply put, LandyCakes hasn't been very good this year. A place should be earned on current merits, not on past achievements.

You see this discussion among English football a lot. Roy finally being the manager to pick in-form players, rather than relying on a player's history. Dropping Donovan is the right move.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #1800
Butter
Coordinator

To his credit, it seems like Donovan is taking it pretty well. But I don't view this as the decision that's going to keep the US from going through. If we go through it's because Altidore and Dempsey show up and the back line is not a total shit-show... which I think is probably going to be the case, sadly.