Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #51
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
heck, if you're in the Dakotas you might rather opt for UND.

*ahem*

1. NDSU
2. SDSU
3. UND
4. USD

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-29-2022 at 08:51 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #52
tarcone
Coordinator

Get to watch 2 former Iowa WRs on Purdue tonight. Charlie Jones is a STs stud and a buddy of O'Connells in HS.
Tyrone Tracy was severely under used.
Jones waited until after Spring ball to transfer. Saw Iowa had not changed their offense and went to a program that was going to throw the ball.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:01 PM   #53
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Man, I hate Iowa.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #54
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Outside of the games taking too fucking long, that was a fun opening night
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #55
bhlloy
Coordinator

12 team playoff apparently a done deal
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #56
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Outside of the games taking too fucking long, that was a fun opening night

Yeah, can't ask for two better games with some raucous crowds.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just put everybody in this damnably absurd playoff that's already two teams too big most years.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-02-2022 at 02:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #58
bob
College Starter

Why don’t coaches understand how to run the clock.

Purdue coach, run the damn ball.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just put everybody in this damnably absurd playoff that's already two teams too big most years.

Except us. Unless it's like a 128 team bracket, no one is inviting Kansas

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #60
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
12 team playoff apparently a done deal

Reports: College Football Playoff board approves expanded format with 12 teams

I'm definitely not a fan of bye weeks.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looking over what the last 4 seasons would have produced with the most basic guideline approve today (6 highest rated conf champs + 6 at-large)

3 out of 4 years, the SEC gets 4 teams in
1 season has 0 Pac 12
1 season has 0 non-P5
0 seasons have more than the ACC champ
2 seasons have 7 of the 12 coming from the SEC/B10 duo
1 seasons has a non-P5 from anywhere other than the AAC (and that was a weird Covid season)

edit to add: with those kinds of numbers, how the details like protecting conferences, seeding rules, first round matchup protections (same conf.), etc will be interesting

Also, I think there's a real chance that conference championship structures are going to trend quickly into insuring no surprises. You can't risk a 2020 Tulsa beating Cincinnati (they didn't) or 2020 Oregon beating USC (which they did)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-02-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #62
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I swear the powers-that-be are trying to ruin this game
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ah hell, I already did the math so I'll post it here too.

Again, with only the basic guideline approved today in use, here's playoff appearances by team over the past 4 years

4 - Ohio State 2021, 2020 (c), 2019 (c), 2018 (c)
4 - Georgia 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018
3- Alabama 2021(c), 2020 (c), 2018 (c)
3- Notre Dame 2021, 2020, 2018
3- Clemson 2020(c), 2019 (c), 2018 (c)
3- Oklahoma 2020(c), 2019 (c), 2018 (c)
3- Florida 2020, 2019, 2018
2- Michigan 2021(c), 2018
2- Cincinnati 2021(c), 2020(c)
2- Baylor 2021(c), 2019 (c)
2- Utah 2021(c), 2019
2- LSU 2019 (c),2018
2- Penn State 2019, 2018
1- Pitt 2021(c)
1- Ole Miss 2021
1- Oklahoma State 2021
1- Michigan State 2021
1- Coastal Carolina (c)
1- Texas A&M 2020
1- Iowa State 2020
1- Indiana 2020
1- Oregon 2019 (c)
1- Wisconsin 2019
1- Auburn 2019
1- UFC 2018 (c)
1- Washington 2018 (c)

edit to add
By (current) conference
SEC 15
B10 11
B12 7
ACC 4
P12 4
AAC 3
Indy 3
Sun Belt 1

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-02-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:38 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think you can put much logic into the choices. It's just about money. They have 11 games versus 3 to sell to the networks.

On the plus side, I guess you can make the case you'll see more top teams playing each other. Maybe teams are more aggressive in their OOC scheduling since a loss doesn't necessarily end their title hopes.

Again, it's about the money. Trying to rationalize their decision outside of that seems pointless.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
I swear the powers-that-be are trying to ruin this game

Past tense, they already have.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think you can put much logic into the choices. It's just about money. They have 11 games versus 3 to sell to the networks.

On the plus side, I guess you can make the case you'll see more top teams playing each other. Maybe teams are more aggressive in their OOC scheduling since a loss doesn't necessarily end their title hopes.

Again, it's about the money. Trying to rationalize their decision outside of that seems pointless.

There's quite a bit that seems pointless, if we're just really cold blooded honest about it.

For example: having CUSA, MAC, and MWC be in the same "division" as the others. And that's at minimum.

In the CFP era, now approaching a decade, even under the 12 team format, the closest anyone from those would have gotten was Central Michigan in 2016. And they were at least 3 spots outside getting in even at 13-0.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And looks like the seeding stuff is already answered?

Top 4 conf. champs get the byes (regardless of their ranking), everybody else is just seeded based on rank (i.e. at-large could host a lower ranked conf. champ)

And by bracket after that

edit to add: Talk about pressuring Notre Dame to pick a conference. Based on this, unless they get a singular exemption, they'd be unable to EVER get a first round bye

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-02-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #68
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Past tense, they already have.

I wonder if the question at hand is whether we should do everything we can to preserve a system that felt good and nostalgic, but everything was set up so that a handful of elite programs could win a lot of games and the hoi polloi could be happy with an occasional trip to the InsuranceMortgageMedication.com bowl.

This transition was far overdue.

We expect kids training to become professional football players to put in the work, but get "paid" with a scholarship that they're unlikely to want AND even if they want it, they can't use it because they have to work so hard at football.

We've never separated major college football from the rest of football, or even, really, from all the sports (everything but men's basketball) where the amateur model works just fine. The tail is wagging the dog.

How do we transition from the days when 10-12 football programs wagged the entire NCAA dog to a major college football league?

Right now is difficult. We need some sort of draft, but how will that work? We need some sort of player union. We need universities on board with something that's very much not a university thing. And until those issues are resolved, compromise solutions like this one aren't going to feel all that good.

Until then, we can celebrate the frustration when a bunch of serious students have to skip classes for a week because it's time for the Maryland volleyball team to take its annual regular-season conference trip to the west coast.

Or when the newly expanded playoffs can't start because the Miami players voted to strike until their demands for revenue sharing and a seat on the university's board of directors are met.

It's been ruined for a long time now. We finally woke up and recognized it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #69
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
And looks like the seeding stuff is already answered?

Top 4 conf. champs get the byes (regardless of their ranking), everybody else is just seeded based on rank (i.e. at-large could host a lower ranked conf. champ)

And by bracket after that

edit to add: Talk about pressuring Notre Dame to pick a conference. Based on this, unless they get a singular exemption, they'd be unable to EVER get a first round bye

Notre Dame apparently approved it, so I'm guessing there's a Notre Dame exception in there. If 10-12 football programs wag the entire NCAA dog, Notre Dame football wags the NCAA, NASA, the NOAA and the NTSB.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I wonder if the question at hand is whether we should do everything we can to preserve a system that felt good and nostalgic, but everything was set up so that a handful of elite programs could win a lot of games and the hoi polloi could be happy with an occasional trip to the InsuranceMortgageMedication.com bowl.

The answer is simple: absolutely

There hasn't been a positive change in college football (nor athletics) in several decades. Nor do I ever expect to see one.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #71
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
The answer is simple: absolutely

There hasn't been a positive change in college football (nor athletics) in several decades. Nor do I ever expect to see one.

When I was in high school, it never occurred to me to wonder how it felt to be an Indiana fan during their biennial trip to Ann Arbor.

Then, one year, they were on the verge of an earth-shaking tie at Michigan. But only through an intentional fumble, followed by a last-second bomb to an elite athlete who, rampant rumor had it, scored a 440 on his SAT, the Wolverines emerged with a victory.

The poorly-suppressed outrage of 100,000 of us, followed by a collective sigh of relief that surely could have been heard all the way back in Bloomington... no, it never occurred to me that nostalgia often goes hand-in-hand with entitlement.

Things change. We should be very aware at this point that the system is out of balance and getting back into balance is going to take a long time and it's probably those of us who are accustomed to our teams being year-in, year-out powers who are going feel the most discomfort.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #72
miami_fan
Coordinator

Given that players were already skipping bowl games, are the players getting paid extra to play in these expanded playoffs?

EDIT: Specifically, the first round teams who we know will have no shot?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-02-2022 at 07:53 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:53 PM   #73
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Beyond just that, I would also say that some of the changes have jack diddly squat to do with the powers that be. The world just changes. Football itself isn't played the way it was several decades ago. You can't just freeze a moment in time and say 'keep it this way forever', and it wouldn't be a good thing if you could.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:03 PM   #74
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Oh, Bert...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:08 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Things change. We should be very aware at this point that the system is out of balance and getting back into balance is going to take a long time and it's probably those of us who are accustomed to our teams being year-in, year-out powers who are going feel the most discomfort.

I grew up from basically birth as a Georgia Tech fan. I'm about as far from that latter part of that as you can get without involving Duke, Vandy, or Kansas.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:50 PM   #76
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I wonder if Virginia Tech's fans will storm the field if they ever beat Old Dominion again?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:10 AM   #77
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Do Conference Championship games make any sense in a 12-team playoff world?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:33 AM   #78
bob
College Starter

From a sport perspective, no.

From the perspective of what they actually care about, money, then sure.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:34 AM   #79
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I wonder if Virginia Tech's fans will storm the field if they ever beat Old Dominion again?

Ah, brings back fond memories of (Sept. 21, 2019 - San Jose State 31, Arkansas 24).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
From a sport perspective, no.

From the perspective of what they actually care about, money, then sure.

But what's the eventual risk/reward aspect of "one extra game" vs "could miss the playoff entirely as a conference"?
Old 09-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #81
bob
College Starter

Suppose it depends on the conference.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #82
Ksyrup

Right, a couple of these conferences are going to expect 3-4 teams in the playoff so you're maybe switching out which team gets the bye if they play a conference champ game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-03-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #83
Thomkal
Head Coach

Given that ODU is now in the Sun Belt with Coastal Carolina, not happy to see the win over VT.

Coastal's season starts tonight at home against Army. Really hope there is some Coastal magic left over from last season!
Old 09-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #84
Edward64
Head Coach

3 pretty good games that I'll be watching. The GA and AR games are on at the same time though.

#3 GA vs #11 Oregon - go Dawgs
#19 Hogs vs #23 Cincinnati - go Hogs
#2 Ohio vs #5 Notre Dame - go Fighting Irish
Old 09-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #85
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
3 pretty good games that I'll be watching. The GA and AR games are on at the same time though.

#3 GA vs #11 Oregon - go Dawgs
#19 Hogs vs #23 Cincinnati - go Hogs
#2 Ohio vs #5 Notre Dame - go Fighting Irish
I really hate when there is a limited slate of interesting games, and the two I am most interested in are at the same time. Go Dawgs and Go Pig Sioux!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Do Conference Championship games make any sense in a 12-team playoff world?

List of NCAA Division I FBS conference championship games - Wikipedia

I mean, conference championship games are only 30 years old - they're not that old, in the grand scheme of things. They were in response to conferences getting too big to have every team play every other team.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:21 AM   #87
bob
College Starter

Well, off to a great start today. All three games I want to watch are on ABC. No problem, watched off antenna all last year without issue.

No signal at all today.

Ok, guess I'll try YouTube TV....

An error occurred. Please try again later. Error code 3.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #88
tarcone
Coordinator

Getting ready for another 8-4, 9-3 season. Starts today with Iowa Hosting South Dakota St. Ironically, my Dad got his BS from SDSU and his Masters from Iowa.

Interested to see the offense after our former WR went off on PSU. He was listed 2nd in our depth chart. Probably because he was a poor blocker.

Go Hawks!

Old 09-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #89
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Well, off to a great start today. All three games I want to watch are on ABC. No problem, watched off antenna all last year without issue.

No signal at all today.

Ok, guess I'll try YouTube TV....

An error occurred. Please try again later. Error code 3.

God this is annoying. Cable companies wont' drop a line to my house even though neighbors have it. Previous owners missed the window.

Antenna sign previously worked but now doesn't.

off to the seas I go i guess.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #90
Ksyrup

The amount of sports I watch has increased exponentially the past decade or so, but the number of sports I actually follow like I used to even in the late 90s/early 00s has dropped off considerably.

That said, how the hell is NC State ranked in the top 15? That made me do a double take.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That said, how the hell is NC State ranked in the top 15? That made me do a double take.

SOMEbody has to be #15, might as well be them.

9-3 last year with only one really bad loss (Miss State), they probably had as much viability at that spot as anybody else for week one.

Once you're that far down into the poll, there really isn't anybody who doesn't have questions, flaws, or both.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm not watching Iowa and SD State, but that score is something else.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #93
Ksyrup

Yeah, the standard 7-3 lead with a FG and 2 safeties I see.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #94
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, the standard 7-3 lead with a FG and 2 safeties I see.

And it was 5-3 midway through the 4th when I posted that.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #95
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The Michigan game is the first event I've watched more than ten minutes since the Super Bowl. It's really football or nothing at this point. So it makes no sense to have anything more than the antenna - just have to get used to moving it around when the game's on Fox. I'm not paying for cable or a streaming service just to get the Big Ten Network or ESPN.

Michigan's going to be good again, but they don't play their first currently-ranked team until the end of October (Michigan State). It's hard to read much of anything from today's contest other than a real worry that this two-quarterback approach means that neither is stepping forward and earning the job, despite the obvious talent.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #96
Edward64
Head Coach

East Carolina has chance to tie it vs #13 NC State with 3:55 remaining.

Not a fan but waiting for the AR vs Cincy game on ESPN. I'd like East Carolina to win (makes room for AR to move up if they win), but I really don't want OT.

EDIT: scored the TD but missed the extra point. 21-20

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-03-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #97
Ksyrup

To say the ACC is off to a rough start is an understatement.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #98
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Rutgers with a great come from behind win!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #99
tarcone
Coordinator

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nepotism for the win

Old 09-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #100
Ksyrup

I called that EC dude pushing it right. He just missed an XP pulling it left, so he overdid it the other way. Feel for that dude.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-03-2022 at 02:50 PM.