Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #1551
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

He didn't forget. He's seen it on display almost all season. Sort of a two-headed thing there, criticize em for it, but offense is good enough to be 11-1 in his first year. I say positive.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-02-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #1552
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Is there a rule in the Pac-12 that your only allowed 10 men on defense?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:28 PM   #1553
GrantDawg

That is probably the ballgame and the end of William's Heisman hopes.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #1554
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is pathetic. Even if USC scored a TD on that drive instead of the INT, it wouldn't have mattered.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-02-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #1555
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So how bad does TCU have to lose by to get Bama into the playoff?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #1556
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Congratulations, The Ohio State. You most likely get Georgia.

Have fun.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #1557
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Is there a rule in the Pac-12 that your only allowed 10 men on defense?

Utah is a Top 20 defense. Just sayin'.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #1558
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostEcon

What I think it should be? About 30, and even then it's really hard to swallow. I'd be more comfortable with a number near infinity.

What I think it actually is? 10-14.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-02-2022 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:37 PM   #1559
GrantDawg

The last time Georgia played Ohio State, the Buckeyes QB was some guy named Kent Herbstreit.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:42 PM   #1560
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

40-7 run since USC was ahead 17-3. That's ... really something.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #1561
GrantDawg

There is a possibility that TCU loses and ends up at 4, OSU at 3. The Big Game 2.0?

Old 12-02-2022, 10:47 PM   #1562
Swaggs
Coordinator

Utah is about as physical a team tonight as I have seen in awhile.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:52 PM   #1563
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

I think TCU is in regardless now. If they lose that bad, KSU will likely jump to #5 or 6 and simultaneously be both their only loss and best their best win.

The only way I can think Alabama could possibly jump Ohio State would be if Michigan loses bad enough that it somehow makes Ohio State’s loss look worse, but that seems like a big stretch since they would still have one less loss.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #1564
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There is a possibility that TCU loses and ends up at 4, OSU at 3. The Big Game 2.0?

It would be interesting to see what the committee does if Georgia loses and TCU and Michigan win. Would they want the Big Game again in the opening round or wait to set up for the possibility of it being the title game.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:11 PM   #1565
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think that's the more likely scenario. I almost want to see it happen just to see what the committee does. Not that I think Georgia will lose, but if they did and Michigan wins it's pretty clear they should be #1, and no reason Georgia should drop below Ohio State.

I still think they would do something silly like pretend Georgia didn't lose or put them at 4 or something to avoid the rematch.

Even though I like Utah, I'm still sad USC lost. I really liked the four we have now. Four regions, four conference champions (potentially, obviously not anymore). Gonna be messier now no matter what happens.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:56 AM   #1566
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I wonder how the Pac Twelve feels about its championship game now?

Not a single one of the major conferences will be any better off for having one, except for some revenue.

I was rooting for USC. No good can come from a rematch of The Game, especially in the semifinal. Now just hope for chalk tomorrow, I guess. I think the committee would alter their rankings to avoid a rematch, if possible. They did it last year, when Alabama beat Georgia convincingly in the SEC championship, but Georgia only dropped to #3, still ahead of undefeated Cincinnati.

Assuming Ohio State is #4 for now. They could pin OSU there, unless Georgia loses. If Georgia loses and Michigan goes to #1, they could drop Georgia to #4 - or TCU if TCU loses tomorrow. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

If TCU gets blasted so much that the committee wants Alabama instead, then maybe they'll enjoy the idea of SEC and Big Ten semifinals. People would buy into that.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:44 AM   #1567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It would be interesting to see what the committee does if Georgia loses and TCU and Michigan win. Would they want the Big Game again in the opening round or wait to set up for the possibility of it being the title game.

Michigan 1, TCU 2, Georgia 3, Ohio State 4 is the obvious to my gut ... but Georgia would have the worse loss in that scenario, so there's certainly a valid path to avoid the rematch

And the committee has shown that "worst loss" is more influential to them than "best win" (see Alabama & Tennessee relative ranking) so as I'm typing, yeah , I think in that scenario they would avoid the Big Game rematch in round one and move Georgia down to 4th.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:55 AM   #1568
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
What I think it actually is? 10-14.

Pretty much this.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about TCU or AL. I'm done with AL but there is some symmetry in an all SEC vs Big 10 showdown if AL sneaks in.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-03-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #1569
Ksyrup

I wish the 12 was in effect now. Last night, only USC was playing for something. In a 12 team playoff, Utah, at 11, would have been playing to stay in the playoff AND both teams would have been playing for a bye.

I think the new system is going to be fun. Probably mostly because we get 4 playoff home games instead of bowl site games.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #1570
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've been moved in the opposite direction. It'll mean games like Michigan-Ohio State, many SEC championships, etc. with top teams late in the season don't really mean anything because both teams are making the playoffs anyway so there isn't as much at stake. Basically the larger the playoff field gets the more the regular season is devalued. The only real 'fix' is one that will never happen - enforcing balanced conferences.

I don't think it's accurate to say Utah wasn't playing for anything - they were playing to go to the Rose Bowl again, which they get to do now.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #1571
GrantDawg

Quote:
I've been moved in the opposite direction. It'll mean games like Michigan-Ohio State, many SEC championships, etc. with top teams late in the season don't really mean anything because both teams are making the playoffs anyway so there isn't as much at stake. Basically the larger the playoff field gets the more the regular season is devalued. The only real 'fix' is one that will never happen - enforcing balanced conferences.

I don't think it's accurate to say Utah wasn't playing for anything - they were playing to go to the Rose Bowl again, which they get to do now.
So, playing in the Rose Bowl is playing for something, but being your conference champion isn't? That's some weird logic.
Georgia was National Champions last year, and I can tell you it still bothers me we didn't win the SEC. That belt may not be AS important as the NC, but it still important. At least to fans of the teams it is. Even if the SEC championship game may hurt Georgia's position in the playoffs some years, or even possibly eliminate them, I would still want them playing in that game. I can tell you right now there are plenty of Bama fans that would rather be watching their team playing for the possibility to win the SEC than hoping something crazy happens to get them in a playoff.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #1572
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think winning the conference still matters, but I also think it's the inherent nature of a playoff that it will gradually make that mean less and less. With all the realignment that's happening I don't see how to keep a strong attachment/identity to the conference. When you say Big Ten, SEC, etc champion, what do you mean by that? What it is now? What it was 10 years ago? What it will be in five years? Because all of those are very different things.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #1573
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of playing for one of those first round byes. They would be huge
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #1574
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Looking at some bowl projections. They are saying USC to the cotton bowl vs. Tulane. I realize I am 100% being a homer, but based off the way they lost last night and Williams maybe not being 100% I think Washington should get that game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:30 AM   #1575
GrantDawg

Quote:
I think winning the conference still matters, but I also think it's the inherent nature of a playoff that it will gradually make that mean less and less. With all the realignment that's happening I don't see how to keep a strong attachment/identity to the conference. When you say Big Ten, SEC, etc champion, what do you mean by that? What it is now? What it was 10 years ago? What it will be in five years? Because all of those are very different things.
Maybe it is a regional thing. LSU is not playing today to get to the Sugar Bowl. They are playing to hang up the SEC championship banner. Winning the SEC has always been important, and really don't see that changing. Maybe in the Big 10 it is more about the bowl? IDK. I don't see it ever being a nothing burger being a conference champion.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #1576
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the importance of playing for one of those first round byes. They would be huge

People are talking like the NFL and CFB are 2 different sports. They're not! You play for a bye, and if you don't get a bye, you play to host the 1st round. Both of those are hugely important.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #1577
Ksyrup

Also re LSU, in 2 years they would be playing for a spot in the playoff in addition to an SEC banner.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #1578
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But who will remember the annual couple of "GREATEST GAMES EVER PLAYED" if they have to, actually, settle it on the field instead of some totally subjective beauty pageant with lots of "eye tests" and no real metrics due to no common opponents to get the only two (or four) spots for a title

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #1579
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There's still not going to be much in the way of real metrics. And there never can be with the current state of conferences in college football.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:21 AM   #1580
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's still not going to be much in the way of real metrics. And there never can be with the current state of conferences in college football.

Agreed, but the more teams included, the easier it is not miss a very deserving team.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:25 AM   #1581
Ksyrup

Exactly.

It's like the 68 team March Madness - yeah, there are some teams who probably deserved to be in, but you can save your hour-long ESPN show bitching about an 18-12 team missing out.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #1582
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina is in Troy Alabama for the Sun Belt Championship tonight. Don't have much hope for them if their #1 QB can't start, it's a game time decision. Also lots of rumors flying around that Coach Chadwell is leaving Coastal for Liberty, which I hope is not true.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #1583
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think the basketball comparisions make sense. Basketball games are a grind. There are far more scoring plays. The 'one big play that changes a season' is orders of magnitude more a thing in football, also because there are far fewer games in football, injuries are a more common and prevalent factor, etc. The sports are just fundamentally different, and similar competitive structures are not necessarily appropriate.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #1584
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice TD for KSU

Great call, I wouldn’t have gone for it on 4th and goal. Tied 7-7
Old 12-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #1585
Edward64
Head Coach

Bunch of AL fans hooting right now. 14-7 KSU
Old 12-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #1586
Ksyrup

Alabama better not get in. What a bunch of crap.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #1587
Ksyrup

What were any of those of announcers looking at to think that TCU's QB's arm wasn't coming forward. It was clear. It wasn't until you could read the ref's lips saying 4th down that the ref/announcer started backtracking on what he said. But Herbstreit doubled down on his stupidity. He may have wanted to hold the ball at the last minute, but his arm was already coming forward as the guy spiked it out of his grasp.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #1588
Edward64
Head Coach

Uh oh. If there is an upset, it won’t be by much
Old 12-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #1589
HerRealName
College Prospect

In a just world, Duggan would be getting a lot of Heisman 1st place votes after this game.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #1590
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Seems the committee is already meeting, wearing striped shirts and debating the playoffs between every play.

Still, not nearly enough to get TCU out of third place. Duggan was quite impressive.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #1591
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
In a just world, Duggan would be getting a lot of Heisman 1st place votes after this game.

Which is a pretty sad indictment of the state of the Heisman race this year.

Tremendous effort but the passing game is chuck & duck.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #1592
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats KSU.

Great goal line stand on OT. Now for the real question …
Old 12-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #1593
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TCU will get absolutely boatraced by Georgia or Michigan.

They've played the toughest schedule overall of any playoff contender but they've yet to play anyone that's in the range of being "very good". And very good will victimize them badly.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #1594
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
the real Q is do i go back to the grocery store for bogo chocolate dipped pretzles (which i do not need) or not.

cfb playoffs dont need expansion.
the debate of 2 loss bama and 1 kiss tcu is enough sample size
Old 12-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #1595
Ksyrup

I can't believe they ran it 2 plays in a row without letting the QB run the ball.

TCU deserves the right to get boatraced. It's a 4 team tournament and they are one of the top 4 teams based on all measures.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #1596
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
the real Q is do i go back to the grocery store for bogo chocolate dipped pretzles (which i do not need) or not.

cfb playoffs dont need expansion.
the debate of 2 loss bama and 1 kiss tcu is enough sample size

Sure go for it. Championship weekend is only once a year
Old 12-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #1597
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a native New Orleanian, it is strange for me to be watching a ranked Tulane team playing a relevant football game after Thanksgiving.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #1598
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
TCU deserves the right to get boatraced. It's a 4 team tournament and they are one of the top 4 teams based on all measures.

You aren't seeing me argue against 'em in that metric.

It's a playoff that has two teams too many already, that ain't TCU's fault.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #1599
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can't believe they ran it 2 plays in a row without letting the QB run the ball.

I agree, they didn’t lose “bad” enough to drop out of Top 4.

GA MI OSU TCU right now. I’m good with another The Game
Old 12-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #1600
bob
College Starter

I’m torn between my hatred of uGA and my hatred of Brian Kelly.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote