Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2022, 02:54 PM   #1851
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't disagree. I don't blame kids who will be 1st & high 2nd Rounders sitting out. I wish there was an insurance premium, that schools pay and had big enough payouts in case of serious to career ending injuries (has to be a list somewhere?), that will help alleviate that concern.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #1852
Edward64
Head Coach

What a run by the MI QB
Old 12-31-2022, 03:23 PM   #1853
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Jim Harbaugh being too cute in that goal line call.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #1854
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm not sure what bowls prove at this point. A three-star guy had three years at Penn State, never cracked the rotation. Transferred to Kentucky and looked pretty good in his fourth year, even better in his fifth.

He seems destined for the early first round in the 2023 draft, even though Kentucky wasn't very good. So he decided to skip the bowl game and his final year of eligibility to prepare for the draft, because the risk of getting injured or playing badly in the bowl game is far greater than the gain from helping his teammates win a meaningless exhibition. Without him, somewhat predictably, Kentucky couldn't even manage a single point today.

The NFL has finally eliminated the Pro Bowl. It's probably time for the college football world to eliminate bowl games.
And he'll likely be picked behind a receiver who had 43 yards this year and made his name off a bowl game last year where 2 1st round picks at his position sat out. It's weird when these non playoff games have 4-5 top guys sitting out for each side, but non-playoff bowl games have always been weird and guys sitting out just gives an opportunity for someone else to put out some tape and make a name for themself. Bowl games serve the same purpose they always have for alums, viewers, and organizers, it's just slightly changed which players have more to gain and it's become even more of an audition for next season than a celebration of the "current" one.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:03 PM   #1855
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Insanity. I would have given the TD on the catch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:05 PM   #1856
miami_fan
Coordinator

The TCU radio broadcast is one of the most relaxed team broadcast I have heard in a while.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:05 PM   #1857
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'm watching with a Michigan fan and it is so uncomfortable here right now.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #1858
miami_fan
Coordinator

Also, the standard has been set for me. A arm is going to have to be removed with a cutlass for a pass interference to be called.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-31-2022, 04:09 PM   #1859
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Also, the standard has been set for me. A arm is going to have to be removed with a cutlass for a pass interference to be called.

All the grabbing allowed makes that declined holding call on Tomlinson a head scratcher.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:09 PM   #1860
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Insanity. I would have given the TD on the catch.

Yea. Not sure how that wasn’t a touchdown
Old 12-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #1861
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just took a look at the play-by-play. Cord-cutting has never felt so good.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:23 PM   #1862
GrantDawg

That Duggan kid is pretty good.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:25 PM   #1863
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like TCU is for real.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:26 PM   #1864
Kodos
Resident Alien

Michigan got hosed. That was a TD. And then the subsequent turnover made it worse.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-31-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:26 PM   #1865
bronconick
College Starter

Maybe Harbaugh shouldn't have shown up to his press conference playing the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:29 PM   #1866
GrantDawg

"We are sorry for that bad TD call, here is a wussy roughing the passer call to make up for it."
Old 12-31-2022, 04:31 PM   #1867
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That Duggan kid is pretty good.
I like how they treat him like a huge underdog story. I know he technically was TCU's backup to start the year (behind Chad Morris's kid), but he was a 4* QB who is a 4 year starter and possibly a Day 2 pick in the NFL draft.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:31 PM   #1868
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"We are sorry for that bad TD call, here is a wussy roughing the passer call to make up for it."

That was horrible given the way college QBs have been getting destroyed all year long. That was an NFL roughing call.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:32 PM   #1869
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The predictions that TCU was obviously going to get boat-raced would appear to have been premature.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:37 PM   #1870
miami_fan
Coordinator

If I am an official, I want them to make a rule that forces head coaches to call plays or something. Sonny Dykes has been an absolute maniac on the sidelines yelling at the officials.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #1871
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I'm watching with a Michigan fan and it is so uncomfortable here right now.

Make lemonade out of lemons. Make the move and give him/her a hug?
Old 12-31-2022, 05:30 PM   #1872
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That was horrible given the way college QBs have been getting destroyed all year long. That was an NFL roughing call.

The announcers made the same point. Which is so weird, that college players are allowed to be roughed more than professionals.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #1873
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice TD throw. Turning out to be a good game
Old 12-31-2022, 05:40 PM   #1874
Ksyrup

This is why I don't listen to people who talk about how there are only a couple teams in the country who "deserve" to play for a title because they are so much better or have so much more talent. Show it on the field - that's the entire point of playing. I expect we'll see some upsets in a 12 team playoff. Maybe not a 12 seed but we'll see.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:47 PM   #1875
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

McCarthy is lost if his guy isn't wide open.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:54 PM   #1876
GrantDawg

This has been quite the third quarter

Old 12-31-2022, 05:58 PM   #1877
Ksyrup

A basketball game has broken out.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #1878
Edward64
Head Coach

Is that like 3+3 TDS in a quarter? When was the last time that happened?

Fun watching the offensive display and feeling sorry for both defenses

Edit: yup, getting real exciting now

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:12 PM   #1879
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is why I don't listen to people who talk about how there are only a couple teams in the country who "deserve" to play for a title because they are so much better or have so much more talent. Show it on the field - that's the entire point of playing. I expect we'll see some upsets in a 12 team playoff. Maybe not a 12 seed but we'll see.

But this game is likely only to provide a victim for the winner of the other.

Georgia -- and there's nothing I hate on the planet more than those mangy mutts -- will beat the absolutely embarrassing fuck out of either one of these teams.

And after watching this game, what little faint hope I was holding onto for Ohio State has basically vanished.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:12 PM   #1880
bronconick
College Starter

What the actual shit
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:15 PM   #1881
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But this game is likely only to provide a victim for the winner of the other.

Georgia -- and there's nothing I hate on the planet more than those mangy mutts -- will beat the absolutely embarrassing fuck out of either one of these teams.

And after watching this game, what little faint hope I was holding onto for Ohio State has basically vanished.

Who cares? It's been an entertaining game and both teams deserved to be here! And this game is evidence that what you think is likely in the next game the winner plays might not actually go thr way you think. Nobody gave TCU a chance here! Play the games!
Old 12-31-2022, 06:16 PM   #1882
HerRealName
College Prospect

Maybe both teams should stop with the cover 0 or whatever is going on out there?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:17 PM   #1883
Ksyrup

Also I watched UGA put up less than impressive games against Missouri and UK. Who's to say that won't happen tonight, or next week?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-31-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #1884
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who cares? It's been an entertaining game and both teams deserved to be here! And this game is evidence that what you think is likely in the next game the winner plays might not actually go thr way you think. Nobody gave TCU a chance here! Play the games!

Oh it's entertaining enough, because neither is playing any defense at all.

I'm not sure either of them could score 10 points against an actual defense however.

They're hanging these points with both QBs looking pretty much like ass, speaks volumes about the disgraceful jokes of defenses they've put on the field.

I fear we're not far from the point that there simply aren't ANY teams in a season that are more than fairly good. We're barely getting one or two a year as it is already. (UGAg is incredibly flawed on offense)

And that makes an expanded playoff even more of a fucking joke.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:31 PM   #1885
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I'm not sure either of them could score 10 points against an actual defense however.

Both have done that repeatedly all year long. Unless by 'actual defense' you mean 'a cherry-picked and very small group of teams they haven't had the chance to play'.

On the point of who is good or isn't - that's always relative to the available competition. Good/great/etc. are meaningless in sports as absolute terms, you can only measure them relative to the teams you can actually play. It's completely unknowable how a team from say, this year, would fare against one 20 years ago or whatever.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:46 PM   #1886
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, after watching all the missed tackles and wide open receivers, maybe the Hogs defense isn’t that bad after all
Old 12-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #1887
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Good/great/etc. are meaningless in sports as absolute terms

Bullshit. You can see whether shooters make open shots, pitchers throw strikes, passers can hit numbers from short range with no pressure.

The decimation of roster depth across football in particular has made nearly every team middling at best.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:53 PM   #1888
Edward64
Head Coach

I’d gone with the timeout, a lot of time went off the clock. That was weird
Old 12-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #1889
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I’d gone with the timeout, a lot of time went off the clock. That was weird

Yeah. Coaching ain't what it used to be either.

(the overexpansion of the highest division has a trickle down effect)
Old 12-31-2022, 06:58 PM   #1890
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Changing competitive environment affects how much even those things matter, and how often, for example, a pitcher is even trying to throw strikes or how often a shooter is able to get open shots and therefore how much each shot matters - on and on it goes. And most elements of the sports are not measurable in such ways. You'd have to be able to quantify changes in mental approach to sports in general and a particular sport in particular, how much advances in medical science have enhanced the physical component on the game, and a myriad of other factors.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:01 PM   #1891
Edward64
Head Coach

That was … weird. Wonder who screwed up there

Edit: better get this targeting call right

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:02 PM   #1892
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
how much advances in medical science have enhanced the physical component on the game .... etc

Those are reasons for advance/maintain/decline in skills, but they don't change the declining performance in certain skills.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:05 PM   #1893
Galaril
Pro Starter

The right team won.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:05 PM   #1894
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Wow, SEC refs have TCU this game.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:05 PM   #1895
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
That was … weird. Wonder who screwed up there

Edit: better get this targeting call right

Oh fuck Michigan has been getting the calls all game.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:06 PM   #1896
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Joke of a non-call right there.

I loathe the rule, but in week two in the third quarter that's 1000% 15 yards and an ejection.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:06 PM   #1897
GrantDawg

Crazy game. Michigan fought to stay in it, but it was TCU's night.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:06 PM   #1898
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Oh fuck Michigan has been getting the calls all game.

Didn’t Michigan have a touchdown taken off the board by the refs and lose by less than a touchdown?

Last edited by dubb93 : 12-31-2022 at 07:07 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:08 PM   #1899
Edward64
Head Coach

First sentence was the MI fumble, was it the center or QB that screwed up

Tbh that did look like targeting to me (but don’t know the official definition). I’ll be interested in knowing the rationale from the NCAA tomorrow

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:10 PM   #1900
Edward64
Head Coach

Alright guys, it was fun. See you at the next game

GA better not underestimate OSU

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2022 at 07:11 PM.