Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2023, 05:03 PM   #2051
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I see a bit of Arkansas news on Twitter, E64.

They hired former FSU DB coach Marcus Woodson, whose contract was not renewed. And DE Jordan Domineck is in the portal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:45 PM   #2052
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At one point, around the time Iowa was finishing off Kentucky, I recall wondering if the Big Ten had actually made up some ground this year and might be for real. That was before I first checked in on the fiesta that wasn't.

It appears that was an illusion. Let's see if Penn State, clearly the third-best team in the Big Ten this season, can make it a complete and total collapse (though two one-score semifinal losses aren't exactly evidence that the Big Ten and MAC have performed some bizarre Freaky Friday experiment).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:27 PM   #2053
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I see a bit of Arkansas news on Twitter, E64.

They hired former FSU DB coach Marcus Woodson, whose contract was not renewed. And DE Jordan Domineck is in the portal.

Thanks, I read up on Hogville.

There was an article about how Hogs have taken the biggest portal hits in the SEC. So add more to the dumpster. They're happy about Woodson (apparently we didn't have a real DB coach and it was Odom).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #2054
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Alright, let's hope the MI vs TCU game is more entertaining !!

FWIW - SEC is sitting at 3-5 in bowl games right now.

SEC is sitting at 6-5 now with the NC game left. So doing better than last year.

SEC Top-10 teams are currently 3-0. Top 20 are 2-1. Rest were middling (Hogs) to poor (Wildcats understandable; Gators WTF)
Old 01-02-2023, 07:10 PM   #2055
Ksyrup

Quote:
Thanks, I read up on Hogville.

There was an article about how Hogs have taken the biggest portal hits in the SEC. So add more to the dumpster. They're happy about Woodson (apparently we didn't have a real DB coach and it was Odom).

Apparently it was win-win because the sentiment with FSU is we needed to upgrade.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-03-2023, 01:12 AM   #2056
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good for Tulane, what a fun turnaround wow.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:18 PM   #2057
Ksyrup

FSU RB Treshaun Ward in the portal. It was expected. Our entire RB room is coming back plus a Penn State transfer who sat last year. He was the starter to begin the year but got injured and Trey Benson took over. He's a #1 RB who should command some interest.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #2058
Ksyrup

Apparently 4 decent guys from OK State have hit the portal in the past day or two. I don't follow OK State at all and they seem like they've slipped from the national picture the past couple of years, but whatever the situation, this ain't gonna help. I wonder what the story is.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:54 PM   #2059
Ksyrup

Jimbo hiring Petrino as OC.

He was OC at UNLV for 3 weeks.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-04-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:00 PM   #2060
Edward64
Head Coach

As a Petrino fan (not his mother or wife), good for him. He’ll have all the talent to do what he wants

Hate to face him every year though
Old 01-04-2023, 02:12 PM   #2061
Ksyrup

It's a weird move for Jimbo, though. I can't tell if he's asking to be fired or saying he can never be fired with this move.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-04-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #2062
JPhillips
General Manager

SoFi stadium banning tailgating before the national championship.

Ridiculous.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:21 PM   #2063
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Apparently 4 decent guys from OK State have hit the portal in the past day or two. I don't follow OK State at all and they seem like they've slipped from the national picture the past couple of years, but whatever the situation, this ain't gonna help. I wonder what the story is.

Sounds like West Virginia is taking a beating in the portal too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #2064
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sounds like West Virginia is taking a beating in the portal too.

Neal Brown is probably the worst coach at WVU in the past 40+ years and was brought back because Gee didn't want him fired yet. There's no way he's coaching at WVU beyond next year so you have a combination of players hitting the portal and assistants not interested in coming in for a lame duck coach. It could be an ugly, ugly season coming up.

With that said, most of the the transfers were expected. Prather, the 4* receiver that just committed to Maryland was the big surprised, but apparently that was girlfriend related.

The problem hasn't been the players leaving as much as Neal Brown is missing on bringing top portal targets in.

Gee has been a disaster as President for the most part as well. He's done a good job of building his brand and drawing attention to himself, but not much else. If this upcoming season goes as poorly as it appears you likely see Brown fired and Gee retiring a bit early.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:06 PM   #2065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From a little reading, it seems that only 1 or 2 were about possible NIL money elsewhere, the rest was more attributed to either wanting more reps or (with the WRs specifically) the unsettled situation at QB.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #2066
Ksyrup

I saw a short video that called out 10 or 11 guys who hit the portal. Several of whom were starters on both sides of the ball.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #2067
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
As a Petrino fan (not his mother or wife), good for him. He’ll have all the talent to do what he wants

Hate to face him every year though

lol -there's a joke in here somewhere.

Also, how can you be a fan of this assbag? It truly baffles me.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:46 PM   #2068
Ksyrup

I hope this blows up spectacularly.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #2069
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
lol -there's a joke in here somewhere.

Also, how can you be a fan of this assbag? It truly baffles me.

From 5-7 to 8-5 to 10-3 to 11-2

I'm willing to bet the majority of HC are douchebags one way or another.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Old 01-04-2023, 06:37 PM   #2070
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
From 5-7 to 8-5 to 10-3 to 11-2

I'm willing to bet the majority of HC are douchebags one way or another.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

SO he won at your school 10+ years ago? He hasnt come really close to replicating that success, even with a Heisman winning QB in Lamar since then. But he's proved he is a pretty shitty human being repeatedly.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #2071
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
SO he won at your school 10+ years ago? He hasnt come really close to replicating that success, even with a Heisman winning QB in Lamar since then. But he's proved he is a pretty shitty human being repeatedly.

Lamar probably would not have won the Heisman without Petrino.

What's the shitty stuff that Petrino has done. The 2 that come up is how he got caught, lied and left Arkansas; and how he left the Falcons.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #2072
miked
College Starter

Just got an email from GT explaining how critical NIL is for recruiting and they are setting up a site/program to help us get involved in the NIL action. Can't wait!
Old 01-04-2023, 07:06 PM   #2073
Ksyrup

Quote:

What's the shitty stuff that Petrino has done. The 2 that come up is how he got caught, lied and left Arkansas; and how he left the Falcons.

There's also the Auburn fiasco.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:34 PM   #2074
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Just got an email from GT explaining how critical NIL is for recruiting and they are setting up a site/program to help us get involved in the NIL action. Can't wait!

I got the same email. You know, I thought NIL was supposed to allow for players to make money off of autographs, being in commercials, jersey sales, stuff like that. Instead it seems very much pay for play. Maybe I was naive.

That and the transfer rules are gonna kill the sport.

Well that and the 12 team playoff.

Last edited by bob : 01-04-2023 at 07:42 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:57 PM   #2075
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I got the same email. You know, I thought NIL was supposed to allow for players to make money off of autographs, being in commercials, jersey sales, stuff like that. Instead it seems very much pay for play.

The "theory" (aka con job) behind these is that the collectives can do things like pay for players to, for example, go to NYC and meet with marketing people who might someday use them in an ad.

It basically serves as a sham to pay for things to hypothetically facilitate that stuff you mentioned above.

Reality? For every Stetson Bennett that might actually have some nominal value to Zaxbys for ads, there's another 90 utterly anonymous players who don't have any real marketing value at all ... but we have to find ways to funnel money to them in some way

edit: I think, in the earliest incarnations of it, the collectives might have been a way to do something else that was more directly to the original intent (supposedly) of NIL. Take a kid like Malaki Starks, UGA defensive back from just up the road from Athens (I'm picking him solely because it makes the geography easy for me to do examples, I have zero knowledge of what he actually gets from anybody).

I think the collectives might have been a way to let something like a small chain of furniture stores (or whatever) pool their local ad budget together and get Starks to do an ad that they could all use locally, in the general area where local-player-makes-good has some marketing value. Those behind the collectives quickly figured out workarounds that pretty much put the players on salary.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-04-2023 at 08:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:17 PM   #2076
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

In the past, it was pretty much an open secret that boosters could "hire" players to perform basic jobs (call it lawn-mowing, and maybe it was in some cases) and pay whatever the heck they wanted. The NCAA got better at cracking down on this, but it went on.

NIL makes it a lot easier to do this openly and at a larger scale. It's expected. You will not compete for elite recruits if you can't promise a lot of money once they hit campus.

The question is how long it takes before gambling interests start to control a significant portion of this game? US Integrity claims it already flags about five football games each Saturday for unusual orop bet patterns.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:28 PM   #2077
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
In the past, it was pretty much an open secret that boosters could "hire" players to perform basic jobs (call it lawn-mowing, and maybe it was in some cases) and pay whatever the heck they wanted. The NCAA got better at cracking down on this, but it went on.

NIL makes it a lot easier to do this openly and at a larger scale. It's expected. You will not compete for elite recruits if you can't promise a lot of money once they hit campus.

The question is how long it takes before gambling interests start to control a significant portion of this game? US Integrity claims it already flags about five football games each Saturday for unusual orop bet patterns.

I have no idea why anyone with other options would choose to coach college football right now. The argument for it was you didn't have to deal with millionaires with contracts and egos.

Now college football has teenage millionaires without contracts that can change teams more or less whenever they like. You have to recruit high school and jucos, help arrange NIL payments so you can land them, continue to recruit your own players. and make sure they're getting NIL payments lined up to keep them happy.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:09 AM   #2078
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

Great article that should help stir some of those memories up.

Hayes: Why Bobby Petrino is the absolute last person Jimbo Fisher should hire

“I can’t begin to imagine what that’s going to look like,” the former Petrino assistant told me. “I’ve never been around a more dysfunctional and demeaning environment than what we had (at Arkansas). I thought, well, he’s just coaching hard. No, it was humiliation at times — for players and coaches.”

Also keep in mind what Petrino is stepping into at A&M. Jimbo is dead man walking and our culture is already in the shitter.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #2079
Edward64
Head Coach

From same article.

Quote:
Bobby Petrino is not an assistant coach. There will be power struggles between he and Fisher, and there will be a winner and a loser.

Understand this: Petrino is a terrific coach. He will whip the offense into shape, and they will score points — but the interaction between 2 mega personalities won’t work, and will eventually bleed over into the locker room and on the field.

The losses will mount while the offense will be among the SEC’s best. At some point, someone will have to answer.

Take a wild stab in the dark who gets fired? I’ll give you a hint: the guy with $80-something million remaining on his contract.

Not interim Aggies coach Bobby Petrino.

I would like to know if that quoted Petrino assistant was a holdover from Houston Nutt. That was a very, very acrimonious firing. I'll be honest, I don't recall reading much of players hating him (Hogville is the forum I visit most) back then. We were all bedazzled by seeing a damn passing game (Houston Nutt was more like run left, run right, run middle).

The articles main point is 2 big egos, won't work. Probably a lot of truth to that. But if Petrino can get A&M into Top-10, fans won't care (well, they probably will then want to be in Top-4).

Bottom line. Yes, this experiment could well fail. Yeah, Petrino is an asshole. There are plenty of HC assholes. A successful program will supersede the asshole stuff (well, short of phyical violence like Bobby Knight or molestation like PSU)

And if, as the article hints at, Petrino takes over when Jimbo is fired. May not be a bad thing. Give Petrino 2 years and let's see

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-05-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:51 PM   #2080
Edward64
Head Coach

It will hurt quite a bit if Briles leaves us. This would be a lateral move so I'm guessing money will be the primary driver.

Quote:
Kendal Briles is in demand again, and this time the Arkansas offensive coordinator is being targeted for the same position by another SEC head coach.

Briles is reportedly a target for new Mississippi State Coach Zach Arnett to fill the same position with the Bulldogs, according to 247Sports and Whole Hog Sports. This came after Briles last year was reportedly offered the same position at Miami on Mario Cristobal’s staff.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:54 PM   #2081
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I wouldn't piss on Petrino if he was on fire. I've always been ambivalent to A&M, but now I hope they fall apart even worse than they already have.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:20 PM   #2082
GrantDawg

Briles is not leaving is expected to sign a nice extension.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2023, 07:29 PM   #2083
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Briles is not leaving is expected to sign a nice extension.

Thanks for the great news

What or who are you using for these news bits?

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-05-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:35 PM   #2084
GrantDawg

Steve Robertson on Twitter. He is a Miss St insider.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:36 AM   #2085
Ksyrup

I cross-posted this in the NFL thread because of the Harbaugh thing, but Michigan is expected to get notice of some low-level recruiting violations, along with a level 1 allegation against Harbaugh himself for lack of cooperation.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #2086
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I cross-posted this in the NFL thread because of the Harbaugh thing, but Michigan is expected to get notice of some low-level recruiting violations, along with a level 1 allegation against Harbaugh himself for lack of cooperation.

Is level one the worst or mildest? It's like DEFCON. I don't know which level is worse...

Last edited by Bobble : 01-06-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:50 AM   #2087
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I wouldn't piss on Petrino if he was on fire. I've always been ambivalent to A&M, but now I hope they fall apart even worse than they already have.

In a world filled with slimeballs, Petrino manages to stand out as the dirty one. It is impressive in its way.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:03 AM   #2088
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Is level one the worst or mildest? It's like DEFCON. I don't know which level is worse...

I believe Level 1 is the most serious. From what I read, the allegations against him are much more serious than against the program (Level 2).
Old 01-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #2089
HerRealName
College Prospect

It's pretty funny with all the craziness with tampering of current players, NIL offers during recruiting, etc. that the NCAA chooses stuff like this to concentrate on.

Last edited by HerRealName : 01-06-2023 at 10:34 AM.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #2090
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
It's pretty funny with all the craziness with tampering of current players, NIL offers during recruiting, etc. that the NCAA chooses stuff like this to concentrate on.

No matter how much changes in college football, one thing will remain the same: A coach committing a ton of violations and then jumping ship to let his successor deal with the fallout.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-06-2023 at 11:28 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:12 AM   #2091
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I believe Level 1 is the most serious. From what I read, the allegations against him are much more serious than against the program (Level 2).

Set readiness to DEFCON Magenta!

I looked it up, DEFCON 1 is also the "worst" (i.e. maximum readiness).
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:49 AM   #2092
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

FSU's best basketball recruit from last year, Baba Miller - who chose FSU over Gonzaga, among others - received a 16 game suspension for getting transportation from Spain to the US to go to a recruiting camp before he was ever being recruited by anyone, when he decided it was better for his career to play college basketball instead of for Real Madrid. I don't know who paid for the trip, but they paid the money back once they understood eligibility issues, and it's pretty clear that since he wasn't on anyone's radar, it likely was no one associated with a team - and definitely not FSU.

This, contrasted against Penny Hardaway directly paying for James Wiseman to relocate so he could/would choose Memphis over ... FSU. Wiseman got a 12 game suspension.

It's a total joke.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #2093
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The rumor that's going around is that during COVID, a couple of recruits traveled to Ann Arbor for an impromptu visit. This was during a recruiting blackout, so contact had to be very limited. One violation (or two?) occurred because Harbaugh took them out for burgers. The Level 1 violation is apparently because Harbaugh lied about paying for lunch. Another violation or violations are apparently because an analyst or analysts had some sort of extra duties on the field during practices.

Keep in mind that the source may be pro-Michigan and is framing this more innocently than it is. The one Level 1 violation could result in a suspension - the NCAA usually ends up slapping wrists as long as there's no cover-up.

I don't think this is why the rumors were going around that Harbaugh was done with the college game, but you never know. At any rate, Michigan has to respond to the allegations now, and then the NCAA does its thing. And the Harbaugh to the NFL panic seems to have died a bit, but until NFL teams actually interview for openings, that doesn't mean much.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #2094
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
FSU's best basketball recruit from last year, Baba Miller - who chose FSU over Gonzaga, among others - received a 16 game suspension for getting transportation from Spain to the US to go to a recruiting camp before he was ever being recruited by anyone, when he decided it was better for his career to play college basketball instead of for Real Madrid. I don't know who paid for the trip, but they paid the money back once they understood eligibility issues, and it's pretty clear that since he wasn't on anyone's radar, it likely was no one associated with a team - and definitely not FSU.

This, contrasted against Penny Hardaway directly paying for James Wiseman to relocate so he could/would choose Memphis over ... FSU. Wiseman got a 12 game suspension.

It's a total joke.

Things like this are why I don't like the NCAA as a governing body. Their enforcement of their rules is way too uneven...heavy handed in some cases, kid gloves in others, and almost guaranteed to not fit the infraction.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:24 PM   #2095
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The rumor that's going around is that during COVID, a couple of recruits traveled to Ann Arbor for an impromptu visit. This was during a recruiting blackout, so contact had to be very limited. One violation (or two?) occurred because Harbaugh took them out for burgers. The Level 1 violation is apparently because Harbaugh lied about paying for lunch. Another violation or violations are apparently because an analyst or analysts had some sort of extra duties on the field during practices.

Keep in mind that the source may be pro-Michigan and is framing this more innocently than it is. The one Level 1 violation could result in a suspension - the NCAA usually ends up slapping wrists as long as there's no cover-up.

I don't think this is why the rumors were going around that Harbaugh was done with the college game, but you never know. At any rate, Michigan has to respond to the allegations now, and then the NCAA does its thing. And the Harbaugh to the NFL panic seems to have died a bit, but until NFL teams actually interview for openings, that doesn't mean much.

If it was over something stupid like this, it is a huge waste of time. NCAA needs to just let go of football and men's basketball - that cat is never going back in the bag.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #2096
Ksyrup

Man, FSU is going all-in for 2023. A new NIL collective dedicated to retaining players has brought back nearly everyone except Jammie Robinson and (likely) Jared Verse. Johnny Wilson just announced he's coming back with a deal.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:25 PM   #2097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If it was over something stupid like this, it is a huge waste of time.

Bullshit.

As presented, if Harbaugh doesn't lie, this is a minor issue. He made his choice, the university gets to live with it.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #2098
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bullshit.

As presented, if Harbaugh doesn't lie, this is a minor issue. He made his choice, the university gets to live with it.

I could not care less about Michigan or Harbaugh. The NCAA has no teeth and completely lost me after the Adidas scandal. They will do what Michigan and the Big Ten and their television partners allow them to do because they know their place.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:12 PM   #2099
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Bullshit.

This is my take as well. And we don't know what he lied about - whether it was paying for a lunch at The Brown Jug (my favorite restaurant as a kid - they did a plate of hash browns like nothing I've ever had elsewhere) or the analysts running pieces of practice. But that's the Level 1 accusation, and the one that could result in penalties we'd notice (like a one-game suspension for Harbaugh). We also don't know if the lying issue is more that he ignored investigators or if he went out of his way to mislead them.

You see bigger stuff, like the FBI and Arizona/Kansas or North Carolina and the fake courses, and you wonder if the NCAA really is powerless in many ways. Something like this, and fighting it just isn't worth it.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #2100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Bullshit.

I haven't looked too deep into this, but I read the analyst doing the on field coaching was self reported. Did they self report the violation and then harbaugh tried to lie/mislead? That makes no sense.