Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #301
davidlando1
Mascot

DVD- Land of the Dead 8/10
HBO - The Grudge 6/10 (it did creep me out)
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #302
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlando1
DVD- Land of the Dead 8/10
HBO - The Grudge 6/10 (it did creep me out)

Since watching that movie I refuse to go in the attic under any circumstances. And every now and then when I am in the shower, I remember the scene and get really, really, irrationally freaked out.

But overall it was a crappy movie.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #303
davidlando1
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Since watching that movie I refuse to go in the attic under any circumstances. And every now and then when I am in the shower, I remember the scene and get really, really, irrationally freaked out.

But overall it was a crappy movie.

For me it was the voice sound effect...I can't really type it out....but I hope you know what I mean. (the sort of breathing in, gasping for breath sound). I thought the scene when the cop was looking at the tape from the video camera in the office building, when the thing appeared, was creepy for me. Also, the ghost characters walked like the girl in the ring...THAT movie I can never watch again.
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #304
Dunleavy
High School JV

Load of War, horrible
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:53 AM   #305
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Saw The Constant Gardener tonight. Wow, great movie. Blows away the other thriller-with-a-social-conscience films out there, neither of which are much without their non-fiction context(and Syriana a massive bore even with).

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 02-21-2006 at 03:05 AM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #306
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Saw 2 - first one was better, but I liked it. 7/10
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #307
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Bewitched.

Gahhh. Insipid.

Oh, but Nicole Kidman was still a hottie.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #308
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Blue (foreign, 1993) - 2/5 stars, A somewhat frustrating watch although there are some solid performances .

White (foreign, 1994) - 3/5 stars, Much more enjoyable watch than it's preceding film (blue), works fine as a standalone move depsite being part of a thematic trilogy.

The Weather Undergound (documentary, 2002) - 3/5 stars, Pretty interesting look at a active and misguided anti-war group in the 60s.

Murderball (documentary, 2005) - 4/5 stars, possible the best documentary i've ever seen. About parapalegic rugby players. The movie doesn't baby them at all, and it's fascinating. You'll find some of the guys to be inspiring, and some of them to be just as big an asshole as any able-bodied asshole you know.

Joint Security Area (foregin, 2002) - 3/5 stars, the first movie by Chan Wook Park (Oldboy). Decent, although it loses steam about 2/3 through (I felt this way about anohter one of his movies too).

The Station Agent (2003) - 3/5 stars, stars a dwarf pretty matter-of-factly as the lead character. Good, not great movie.

Bubble (2006) - 3/5 stars - The Steven Soderbergh "released to all formats at once" movie. Interesting, more for the method of creating the movie than for the film itself. Impressive that you can essentially grab regular joes and make a watchable movie.

Westworld (1973) - 3/5 stars - Michael Crichton was really laying his own tracks for Jurassic Park with this one. This movie appears to have been pretty damn influential on a number of very popular sci-fi movies down the line. After declaring the movie was ripe for a remake, i found out it actually is being remade. They should cast Christian Bale, who's a dead ringer for young James Brolin (IMHO).

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-21-2006 at 06:37 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #309
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

oh, and Napoleon Dynamite - I really disliked it. There simply isn't a movie there, it's just a collection of ideas that must have seemed funny while the writer was stoned. There isn't a reason to care about any character in any way.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #310
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Saw The Constant Gardener tonight. Wow, great movie. Blows away the other thriller-with-a-social-conscience films out there, neither of which are much without their non-fiction context(and Syriana a massive bore even with).

I would love to see this as well. Unfortunately, apparently Netflix has interpreted "short wait" as "when hell freezes over".
Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #311
Pyser
Pro Rookie

biloxi blues - 3/10.

has there ever been a less realistic "war" movie? and where was the climax?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #312
sabotai
General Manager

Battle Royale (Japanese) - 8.5/10. A great movie, despite it's pretty ridiculous starting premise. But it's an action movie, they always have pretty ridiculous premises. Awesome movie.

Four Brothers - 5/10. It was ok. I didn't hate it, but I will never have the desire to see it again.

Saw 2 - 6/10. First one was far better. The "surprises" in this one weren't. You could see them coming a mile away. The first one I was pleasently surprised several times. This one was just predictable. I like a lot of the traps though. At least they kept their creativity in that area.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #313
sabotai
General Manager

The 40 Year Old Virgin - 8.5/10. Great movie. Very funny, but about 15-20 minutes too long.

Ringu - 6.5/10. Our version was a lot better.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #314
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
oh, and Napoleon Dynamite - I really disliked it. There simply isn't a movie there, it's just a collection of ideas that must have seemed funny while the writer was stoned. There isn't a reason to care about any character in any way.
Thank you, finally someone else who feels the way I do. It felt like a best of SNL DVD where it was Jimmy Fallon playing the same character in different scenes.

Brokeback Mountain - 6.8/10 - I mean, there were some heartfelt moments, but aside from it being about gay cowboys, it felt like every other romantic movie. People can't be together because the world won't let them, they try to find ways but it ends in tragedy. Plus it loses points for the shot of the boys nude, negating any plus points for the girls nude. Beautifully shot, and I think the acting was better than most movies, with Heath Ledger channeling his inner Slingblade, and the sheep scenes were hilarious. I generally just don't enjoy romantic movies, so I wasn't really going to enjoy this anyway.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #315
Dutch
"Dutch"

Wedding Crashers - It was pretty funny at times, but all in all, it's the cookie-cutter approach to 20-something comedy. 6 out of 10.

Hoodwinked - A very fun, funny, creative, and very well written version of Little Red Riding Hood with a great "who-done-it" twist. Humor included for all ages. 9.5 out of 10
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #316
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Thank you, finally someone else who feels the way I do. It felt like a best of SNL DVD where it was Jimmy Fallon playing the same character in different scenes.
I didn't see what the big fuss was about Napolean either. Was pretty lame if you ask me. The only part that I really laughed at was the dance scene.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:40 AM   #317
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I didn't see what the big fuss was about Napolean either. Was pretty lame if you ask me. The only part that I really laughed at was the dance scene.

The story sucked. The acting is what was so great. Gosh...

Last edited by Dutch : 02-26-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #318
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202
I rented the documentary " Grizzly Man " this afternoon. This was put together by Werner Herzog.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/

Timothy Treadwell lived with Grizzly Bears in Alaska during the summer for 13 years. He never took a weapon. In his 13th summer, he and his girlfriend were killed by a grizzly bear the last day of the 2003 expedition. He believed he was protecting the bears from poachers, and other human interactions that would harm the bears. There is much debate as to whether what he was doing was more harmful then good, such as making the bears familiar with humans and therefore making them an easier target for poachers. I do not know how I feel about whether what he did was right or wrong, but I do know that this documentary is amazing. Treadwell had a camera with him for what I believe was the last five expeditions into Alaska. His footage is absolutely amazing. Some of the scenes left me in awe. Treadwell at times came across as an amazingly compassionate man, a very funny man, and very intelligent, but at times he also came across as almost crazy. Some of the things he would do made me think of his mental state. One such instance is where one of the bears he named " Wendy " took a dump and ran over and touched it and he was in pure ecstacy over the fact that this crap just came out of Wendy. Then there are times where I feel such admiration for this man, because for 13 seasons he lived in perhaps one of the most dangerous areas of Alaska, where any normal person would probably die on their first camping trip. To watch him touch a wild grizzly bear and speak to it like a fellow human was amazing. He was also extremely close to the foxes that lived in the area. They were like his pets.

Treadwell actually had the camera rolling when they were attacked, but they did not have the lens cover off. All they got was audio. This audio I believe has never been made public. Timothy's best friend, and one time lover, had the tape and she never even listened to it. There is one scene where Werner is listening to the audio with headphones while Timothy's best friends holds the camcorder the tape is in. Werner's back is to you, and at times he would describe what he was hearing. The lady obviously got emotional, and eventually Werner asked her to turn off the tape and he took his headphones off. He tells her that she must not ever listen to that, and that she should probably destroy the tape. That scene alone I think did more, I feel, then if they actually played the tape in the documentary. It was a very powerful scene.

I could go on and on about other such scenes. I HIGHLY recommend viewing this. 10/10.

I finally got to see Grizzly Man. It was great. Some of Treadwell's footage was amazing. I didn't like some of the conclusions that Herzog came to in his voiceovers, though, particularly toward the end, so I guess I'd give it like 9.7/10. I can't believe this wasn't nominated for best documentary.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #319
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Munich - I liked it, but then again, I see one movie every six months.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:48 AM   #320
Izulde
Head Coach

Just saw Match Point at the budget theatre tonight.

I'm not necessarily a big Woody Allen fan, and I went into this with very low expectations, which may account for the fact that I came away thinking it was a great movie overall.

My rating out of 10 is 8.5. The acting was very good and the cinematography, oh man! It was the best I'd seen since Road to Perdition (I'm a huge Conrad L. Hall mark and his death saddened me). The movements of the camera to me were really graceful and elegant, allowing for a deep, intense, personal connection with the characters.

The plot was also very good overall, imo. The points that dragged it down? The last section of the film lacked in smooth polish and tension of the earlier parts of the movie and I think more could have been done with it. That last bloc felt really rushed to me, which was disappointing.

Also, while the script was good taken as a whole, some of the lines seemed too predictable or too forced in humour.

Still, I'd say with everything taken together, it was one of my favourite movies of the year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #321
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a couple recent one:

The Constant Gardner: 8/10. Liked a lot of it, including the performances of Weisz and Fiennes. Loved all the stuff about their relationship. The only negative for me was the lame pharmaceutical storyline, which was so unoriginal and uninteresting it almost ruined the whole movie for me.

Under Suspicion: 9/10. (A movie from 2000 I just got around to seeing) Basically just Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman alone in a room together acting up a storm. How can you go wrong with that? Apparently, you can't.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #322
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, also just saw Mulholland Drive 5/10. Would have been better if there was either more lesbian sex or less David Lynch.

EDIT: Muholland Drive, not Mulholland Falls

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 03-05-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #323
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Ultra Violet 4/10; Not worth it if you're not a fan of the comic series, stupidly over-the-top action scenes, or way too much CGI.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #324
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
a couple recent one:

The Constant Gardner: 8/10. Liked a lot of it, including the performances of Weisz and Fiennes. Loved all the stuff about their relationship. The only negative for me was the lame pharmaceutical storyline, which was so unoriginal and uninteresting it almost ruined the whole movie for me.

I didn't care much for the pharmaceutical storyline either, but I am not sure how you can give it an 8/10 if you didn't. That is like 95% of the movie.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #325
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
I didn't care much for the pharmaceutical storyline either, but I am not sure how you can give it an 8/10 if you didn't. That is like 95% of the movie.

I disagree. I think the movie was mostly about the relationship between two people. The pharmaceutical stuff is just the backdrop/catalyst.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #326
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

another good one. Crash 9/10. I can see where people wouldn't like it, but I dug it very much.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #327
Easy Mac

Quote:
another good one. Crash 9/10. I can see where people wouldn't like it, but I dug it very much.
I "liked" it, but I found it a bit too cliched. I know that was the whole point, it just didn't work for me. I spent a lot of the time laughing. My favorite part was the Mexican dad and his daughter. I would have paid good money to watch a whole movie around that.

Last movies:
Just Like Heaven: Talk about cliched, this was exactly the same as any other rom-com. Boring as hell. I don't understand the appeal of Mark Ruffalo. First he was some kind of indie standout for xx/xy and other films, now he's being marketed as a sex symbol. He's not a good actor, and you can't understand a word he says. Very boring movie, made me wish I was watching Sweet Home Alabama. 2/10

In Her Shoes: I'm one of those guys who doesn't find Cameron Diaz attractive. I mean, she has a good body, but I'd need a bag over her head. Again, exactly like every other girl movie. Pacing was really off to, the movie never had a good flow. 3/10

You can probably guess who had the movies to watch this weekend.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #328
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I "liked" it, but I found it a bit too cliched. I know that was the whole point, it just didn't work for me. I spent a lot of the time laughing. My favorite part was the Mexican dad and his daughter. I would have paid good money to watch a whole movie around that.

me too on all of that, except that for me it did work. Very cliched, very contrived, a little too heavy-handed and the racism was too over the top. And yet I still enjoyed it.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #329
chinaski
College Prospect

North Country - 6.5/10

Some good acting all around, but this plot has been rehashed so much, it keeps the movie from scoring any higher. Sissy Spacek moves it up to a 6.5.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #330
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Before Sunset - 5/5 (I've seen this before so this may even be posted in this thread)

Sequel to Before Sunrise (1995). I remember being a little worried when I heard this movie was coming out, but it's probably better than the original. It's so perfectly casual, you feel like you're just dropping in on a pair of people for 80 minutes or so (the movie is paced in real time, so it only covers that much ground). I think the passage of time (both real-world and in-movie) since the original make it that much more effective. I find myself a little sad when it ends, just because I enjoy the characters so much.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #331
ice4277
Pro Rookie

V for Vendetta - 8.5/10

Overall, a very good movie. The only real complaint I have is that the pacing was a little slow in some spots. The acting was solid, and the dialogue was pretty good. Less action-oriented than I thought it would be, although there were a couple pretty cool action scenes. Another hit for the Wachowskis in my book.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #332
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Contant Gardener- I turned it off about an hour into it, it is way to slow and i am way too tired to sit through it. I'd give the first half a 3/10
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #333
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Hustle & Flow- I didn't think I would like it because
A) I hate rap/hip hop
B) I usually don't like the movies that get Oscar praise

But it was suprisingly good and Terrance Howard deserved to be nominated for best actor. I really enjoyed his meeting with the rapper who made it. I won't spoil it if anyone is still planning to see the movie, but it didn't turn out like I thought (which is a good thing) 8.5/10

Four brothers: 3.5/10 Couldn't understand if this was supposed to be serious or campy. It didn't really do either for me.

Two for the money: I am an avid gambler and actually like Matthew Magonahey in most of his movies but this movie was pure crap. 0/10
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #334
moriarty
College Starter

Finally saw 40 year old Virgin. I didn't know Peter Jackson directed this thing (hint: use the edit machine). Funny moments, but an hour too long. 5/10.

Cinderella Man - Good movie, perhaps a victim of following closely behind Million Dollar Baby at the box office (I mean, just how many boxing flicks can we take here?). My only complaint was that it could have been great, but just didn't hit all the right chords on the emphathy scale. BTW - I'm not a big fan of Russell Crowe, but I will admit he's a damn fine actor. 8/10
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #335
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 6/10

Got draggy near the end. Harry Potter can't really act since all he does is grimace in pain. Hermione is really hot. And the other friend just sulks all the time.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #336
QuikSand
lolzcat

I finally got around to watching Sin City, which I liked far more than I expected. Grisly and disturbing... but that was sorta the point, and it worked well for me. The noir elements were tremendous, and it maintained the comic feel very, very well. 8/10.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #337
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Where the Truth Lies 9/10. I thought this was an awesome movie and Kevin Bacon was excellent. Colin Firth as well. Wasn't as excited about the Alison Lohman character/performance, but it was ok enough to not sink the movie.

I was surprised to read some reviews afterward to find out opinion of the movie was generally pretty low. Personally, I loved it.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #338
chinaski
College Prospect

History of Violence - 4/10. I was convinced going into this I was going to love it, how can you go wrong with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen? Apparently you go wrong by adapting a shitty comic book into a movie and doing nothing to add any depth. Had some funny moments, that im not so sure were supposed to be funny. Ed Harris was great as always; but this was megacursed by a horrible screenplay.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #339
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Inside Man--- 9/10 Great movie, Denzel and Clive Owen really made for interesting cinema.

Phat Girls--- 4.5/10 Dont ask..I was on a date and it was her choice. It had some laughs but it was also full of every stereotype in the book. Monique is kind of annoying as well.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #340
JS19
College Prospect

History of Voilence - Greatly disappointed. Felt like there jsut wasn't much of a story, or I should say there was a story, they just didn't really do anything with it.

Scary Movie 4 - Unfortunately I saw this last night. Not really a fan of these movies but I needed to get out of the house. Not that it was supposed to be a good movie but I was expecting a few laughs and they werent there.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #341
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Lucky Number Slevin - I liked the movie a good bit. Some good twists and turns and it kept me entertained. Not amazing but above average. 7.5/10
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #342
Bad-example
College Starter

I watched Boondock Saints last night after seeing several recommendations on this board. I liked the quirky directing style. A pretty enjoyable movie. Willem Dafoe is always interesting to watch. I would call it a 7/10.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:39 AM   #343
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
I watched Boondock Saints last night after seeing several recommendations on this board. I liked the quirky directing style. A pretty enjoyable movie. Willem Dafoe is always interesting to watch. I would call it a 7/10.

most overrated underrated movie ever.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 04-17-2006 at 06:40 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #344
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Before Sunset - 5/5 (I've seen this before so this may even be posted in this thread)

Sequel to Before Sunrise (1995). I remember being a little worried when I heard this movie was coming out, but it's probably better than the original. It's so perfectly casual, you feel like you're just dropping in on a pair of people for 80 minutes or so (the movie is paced in real time, so it only covers that much ground). I think the passage of time (both real-world and in-movie) since the original make it that much more effective. I find myself a little sad when it ends, just because I enjoy the characters so much.

I watched this the other day, and I agree that it was very well done. Made me sad at the end, too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #345
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
most overrated underrated movie ever.

I'm confused, did you not like it or think it's really not an underrated movie? I've been a huge fan since I first saw it 2-3 years ago and watch it every month or two. I was just curious b/c i know some of my friends didn't like it at all, but most of them love it.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #346
Easy Mac

A History of Violence - Very good movie, nice pacing to it. Probably one of the bettert movies of the past year, if for nothing more than for the violence and Maria Bello getting screwed six ways to Sunday. 7.8/10.

As a side note, Maria Bello has turned 39 today.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 04-17-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #347
cuervo72
Head Coach

Curious George. Well, about a month ago anyway.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 AM   #348
Groundhog
Coordinator

Samurai Assassin - 8.5/10

Quite good, but not as good as I was hoping. I really like the way that Asian films don't feel the need to wrap up every sub-plot in the film at times.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #349
WVUFAN
College Starter

Hostel -- 7/10: If you're a fan of Saw, this is Saw with actual gore in it. It's not to the level of the true "gore classics" like Cannibal Holocaust, but there's a few scenes that'll make you turn your head.

Speaking of Boondock Saints (great movie, btw), wasn't there a sequel planned? Anyone know what happened with it?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #350
Bad-example
College Starter

Sky High, the Disney film about a high school for kids of superheroes.

A very funny movie that was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect much but laughed quite a few times. 8/10
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote